PDA

View Full Version : Goat hunt

DIY
03-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I am looking to swap a hunt here in Alberta, for a goat hunt in BC. I can offer pretty much all the critters here in AB that are allowable on the hunter host system (whitetail & mule deer, elk, bear, free ranging razorback pigs, antelope..ETC.) Some animals require a draw and some are over the counter tags. Archery hunters have more options!

I'm looking for an enjoyable hunt with good people. If it takes a few trips to bag an animal... thats understandable because thats hunting. Basically trading animal for an animal whether it takes 1 trip or a dozen. 100% success for both parties is the goal. And meeting new friends! Thanks. PM me if your interested.

dutchie
03-16-2009, 10:31 AM
You mean you would like to go on a trip with a good friend that has a very similar interest in hunting and he can go to Alberta to hunt with you... if you decide to invite him?

I think in BC if you Trade "animal for animal" or "hunt for hunt" that is concidered to be guiding this is ileagl unless you are licensed..... But if you are good friends that met over the internet and have the same afinity fo hunting, and you are "invited" with input on dates... I think that is leagl!

dutchie

DIY
03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Why do people think swapping hunts is guiding? Providing of a service for personal gain is guiding. When I put an individual up in Alberta and then that person does the same for me in BC. Neither person has made a personal gain over the other individual when it comes to dollars and cents. Its called going "dutch"! LOL... You should know that "Dutchie"

PGK
03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
You are offering a service for personal gain.

You are offering an alberta hunt, in return for the gain of a goat hunt.

The rules can bend, but you're offering outside of that.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Lots of guys have met online and then hooked up for a swap. Perfectly legal. Rules don't say that you have to be friends or relatives...just that you must accompany the host while hunting. More like a chaperone......if you will.

If it makes you feel better then meet online and become friends and go from there.

SSS

butcher
03-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I swap hunts all the time. It ain't guiding. Doing it this year as a matter of fact.

budismyhorse
03-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I think the key is money. If money changes hands, that is illegal guiding. Hunt swaps are fine.

DIY
03-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I've asked game wardens here in Alberta and they said the same thing. Its legal until there is an exchange of material wealth (money, spotting scope, tent, ...etc) A hunt for a hunt was fine. But its frowned upon by most guides because they are losing business.

dana
03-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Just don't buy the other dinner at Taco Time because in some jurisdictions that is considered payment enough to press charges. ;)

DIY
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I'll check it out for sure with a warden in BC before I commit to anything. Thanks!

dana
03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm just joking with ya. Was the basis for a major sting operation on some high profile muley nuts in the states though.

RiverOtter
03-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd like to enter into evidence, "Exibit A", a partially eaten burrito........:lol:

goatdancer
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Page 14 of the BC regs. The Widlife Act defines 'guide' as: "a person who for compensation or reward received or promised, accompanies and assists another person to hunt wildlife". Who decides what reward means? If you want to put it to the test you'd better have a good lawyer and an understanding judge.