PDA

View Full Version : 2 way radio help...........

huntcoop
11-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Must buy a new set of portable radios for a trip next week and need some input...preferably a make and model that you guys use and like. I want GMRS/FRS not VHF. Thanx.

Schmaus
11-10-2005, 10:36 AM
I have quite a few different brands and as long as you can get the security codes and the channels to line up then you shouldn't have any problems. All the radios I have are good get some with the highest power that you can I think they make some now that are good for 20 kilometers. Another thing that bugs me is that some of the radios beep after you hit the buttons (I personally like the quiet ones, animals don't like the beeping) another feature is some of them have a vibrating notification for if someone is trying to call you or accidently hits the call button. (It doesn't get a lot more annoying when you are waiting for your animal to take a few more steps when RING RING RING, I think you get my picture. Anyway all the brands seemed pretty good to me just a few ideas of things that bugged me on my radios.

Schmaus

Steeleco
11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I have a pair of the radios at the top of this link. They were bought from the states and before they came in a kit. Mine are FANTASTIC, you can make them silent and have vibrate alert. Range may not be 5 miles in the hills but we all know how long it takes to walk that far in the bush!! The newer ones have greater range, but I wonder how much is enough.

I've even see some of these product line for sale at places like Home Depot, so they should be very easy to find.

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/browse&category_id=6f41badb7bd6d07d59d680631f6546a4&id=1&ps_session=9775090ca5f475ec46fd170968cc560241c75ea 3

brotherjack
11-10-2005, 11:16 AM
All I know, is don't buy the Cobra FRS radio's CanTire always has on sale - they're garbage. I've been through two sets (warranty replacements), and they usually make about 2-4 days of use before they go kaput. :(

greenbike1
11-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Check out the garmin rhino gps and gmrs radio all in one. If you have two it will show you your buddys position on your screen. Cool but pricey. Go gmrs with the most watts you can find. frs works until you are out of veiw. Professional uhf I understand is the best for bush and hiily terrain.

Steeleco
11-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Professional uhf I understand is the best for bush and hiily terrain.

True, but they are equally pricy and you need a radio licence. There are unregulated ones out there but even a cheap one of them is more than a GMRS kit these days.

rudar
11-10-2005, 03:32 PM
two things that bug me about mine are first, that the on-off button is right at the edge of the radio, and tends to accidentally turn on and drain batteries when in my pack, and two, it starts beeping at me to warn me that the batteries are low if the voltage drops below some value. Unfortunately, even the freshest batteries don't put out enough voltage below freezing to keep the things quiet...

Not brand recommendations, exactly, but a couple of things that bug me and I'd try find out about before buying new ones.

boxhitch
11-11-2005, 10:42 PM
I agree with rudar, about the swithes. I just went to my pack, to check on the model # ( Cobra gmrs from Costco) before posting here, and one was dead due to the switch 'self-activating'. Storing without batteries means resetting all the 'tone' switches. Pulling the plastic knob off leaves a serrated stem which should be more trouble-free. The models I have are VOX equipped, 'Voice activated', which allows hands free operation, which is cool when hanging around a cliff on a rope.

Amphibious
11-11-2005, 10:46 PM
used them at guide camp, the new Motorola 5530, with good sucess.

personaly I hate the things, but if you have to have one, that would be my pick.

Geo.338
11-12-2005, 05:46 PM
We us Icom frs radios model 4088 A FRS We like them because of all frs type we have used the batteries last longer in these radios as they have a power save feature.They take 3 AA batteries so there is no recharging battery packs.They are waterproof .Range is pretty good .I have not tried GMRS ,though I hear they work well .The best deal I have seen on these is at Steveston Marine http://www.stevestonmarine.com/