PDA

View Full Version : what rod do I use

bridger
03-15-2009, 10:18 PM
i am going to the yukon this spring and fish for lake trout up to 40 lbs. I have a new ambassor level wind reel, but have no experience with this type of fishing. i would appreciate a word of advice from some of the experienced guys on the site as the the type of rod i should use ie length, size, make etc. thanks in advance

Krico
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Assuming you are fishing out of a boat I would suggest a 6-7 foot medium action rod, with 25-40 lb test. Shorter length rods make it easier to get the fish close to the boat for landing. You should be able to get into a quality rod for $50-$100. If you want to spend more because you like fancy stuff, go for it but you probably won't land any more fish as a result.

Have fun.

x-hare
03-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Quite a few years ago we went into Cunningham lake and were catching laker's on a silver / gold 8" Williams Wobbler now some were using it as a lure other's rigged up as a flasher with smelt behind and that was just killing them.
Now not sure of the regulation's now you might not be able to use bait check the REG'S.

Sitkaspruce
03-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Bridger

Get yourself an 8'-9' medium heavy action rod, put some 25 lbs Maxima Ultra Green on as a main line and use some 40 lbs for a leader as they have some nasty teeth. You will also get into some pike as well and your reel will be OK, but it will be a b*tch to cast, which is a great way to catch them.

The ultimate fun would be to take your reel and put some 15-20 lbs on it for a main line for casting for both lakers and pike, then pick up a Diawa M-one single action reel, (if you want to borrow one, let me know and I will send you one) load it with 25 lbs and use it for trolling for the lakers. Best way to play fish is with a single action reel. It is like a big fly reel:smile:. You can use the same rod for both casting and trolling,

I used to guide for these fish in Northern Manitoba a long time ago and when I brought out my old Diawa single action reel, people looked at me like I was nuts, but after playing a few fish with it, they all wanted to use it.

Cheers

SS

Wild Images
03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I spent a summer guiding up at Great Bear Lake NWT for lakers and char,
best summer ever :smile:
Way too many people showed up with very heavy gear ( like shooting grouse with a 338 ). Medium action with good 20-25 lb test is plenty, these fish tend to sound more and try to hide under the boat than fight like a spring salmon.
Go light and have fun

This guy was 53 lbs

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/arctic.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13369&size=big&cat=500)

quadrakid
03-17-2009, 08:29 PM
have fun with those big yukon lakers. we used big honking five of diamond spoons. what area of the yukon are you heading to,what lakes?

bridger
03-20-2009, 03:40 AM
going to watson lake and fishing francis lake

steelheadSABO
04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
salmon rod would be good