PDA

View Full Version : Bear defense for your truck!

Gateholio
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Some of you know that I run my truck on vegetable oil, recycled from deep fryers. Not only is it free and better for the environmnet, it smells like french fries.

Bears love that stuff.

I've been wondering about leaving my truck parked in the bush for extended periods of time, and coming back to eaten fuel lines. So far they have left my truck alone at home, but the dogs will chase them off, anyway.

I was thinking in investing in one of those little solar powered electric fences that some guys use to protect thier camps in polar bear country.

Anyone ever used one?:shock:

Dirty
03-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Some of you know that I run my truck on vegetable oil, recycled from deep fryers. Not only is it free and better for the environmnet, it smells like french fries.

Bears love that stuff.

I've been wondering about leaving my truck parked in the bush for extended periods of time, and coming back to eaten fuel lines. So far they have left my truck alone at home, but the dogs will chase them off, anyway.

I was thinking in investing in one of those little solar powered electric fences that some guys use to protect thier camps in polar bear country.

Why don't you use the same design as the electric fence you use to keep all the young dames trapped in the basement of your loveshack?

gamehunter6o
03-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Some of you know that I run my truck on vegetable oil, recycled from deep fryers. Not only is it free and better for the environmnet, it smells like french fries

Yep, my guide who told me he loves to play tricks on his mates had a solar 2 line fence around our camp.
I succesfully tested it by hooking it up to the alloy frame of his bed. :shock::shock:
Bears were not a problem as my guide now sleeps with one eye open.

Johnnybear
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Holy cabin fever must be real bad up there:lol:.

On a serious note......does this really happen (critters eating fuel lines) to folks vehicles that run the veggie oil?

RustyRipper
03-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm also wondering if this is a common occurance, did you hear of this happening to someone else or is this just one of those things you thought of during the night when you couldn't fall asleep? I'd be interested to know as I was thinking of running my diesel on fry oil as well.

Gateholio
03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Bears will invade the back of restaurants (where used fryer oil is typically stored) to get at the oil, and I've had bears come and steal oil that I've had stockpiled at my house- I usually will only bring it home in winter, but last year I had some left over in the spring and a hungry bear made off with them!

I've only heard of porcupines actually eating hoses and tires, but every year in Whistler, people leave some McDonalds take out wrapper inside thier cars and the bears bust the windows!

Deadshot
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Sounds like a mobile bait station to me.:wink:

Johnnybear
03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Sounds like a mobile bait station to me.:wink:

Priceless:lol:.

That is something Gatehouse will have to dish out with the CO if he is caught!!!!

Ambush
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Yep. I'd say let'er idle up wind of a good slash and keep your gun ready. I believe that bears like the old country music to. So keep the stereo cranked and the shooting window open.

plumb_324
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Do you treat the veg oil before you use it ???

boxhitch
03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Wouldn't count on a solar charger, but a smaller unit is built that runs on 4 d-cells. Have seen them in horse camps and around remote camps in the NWT tundra.
Maybe add a bit of beaver castor to modify the odor ?:)

Krico
03-15-2009, 11:11 PM
French fry exhaust.

What a sneaky way to bait for bears:-P

How long before that's in the regulations?

gamehunter6o
03-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Maybe 2 drops of skunk oil per litre would make you feel more secure.
I can see a patent here.

Gateholio
03-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Do you treat the veg oil before you use it ???

Nope. I have 2 tanks, a deisel and a veggie oil tank. Start on diesel, warm up, switch to oil, oil goes through series of heat exchangers and heaters and filter, and VROOOOM....then you purge out the oil the last 5 minutes of your trip, to start on deisel next time!

Beardy
03-16-2009, 07:02 AM
I've used them successfully during my field work. I can visually confirm that the thing works and gave a good jolt to a big blackie one night when he was trying to get into our kitchen!

hunter1947
03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Good way to bring in some bears ,just wait in the truck LOL.

rattle
03-16-2009, 07:43 AM
You could always lower your truck.

open-sights
03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
I have an electric coral. I use it to keep pain in the ass horses from making me climb mts in the early hours, hobbling a stuborn horse just means he will take longer to get the same distance away! Works good to keep horses in, never thought to use it to keep teddy bears out. Should work I guess.

bighornbob
03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
The question is if you are road hunting and you leave your truck idling, is that considered bear baiting.

Here is great website I found and book marked, that talks about bear fences and how to build them. Thinking of building one for flyin hunts.

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/safety/electric_fencing.htm

BHB

Rock Doctor
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Fences do keep bears out, we use them around our camps and garbage dumpsters at work.
You should be able to just hook one up to one of your truck batteries. Pre-wire it with a plug, so you just have to run the wire around your truck and then plug it in. Simple to do, it should not draw anything from the battery unless the wire is making contact with Ground. If it does draw a little, you can throw one of those little solar panels on the dash, and plug it into the power point, to keep the battery topped up.

RD

Gateholio
03-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Fences do keep bears out, we use them around our camps and garbage dumpsters at work.
You should be able to just hook one up to one of your truck batteries. Pre-wire it with a plug, so you just have to run the wire around your truck and then plug it in. Simple to do, it should not draw anything from the battery unless the wire is making contact with Ground. If it does draw a little, you can throw one of those little solar panels on the dash, and plug it into the power point, to keep the battery topped up.

RD

Thanks, that's what I was after...You don't happen to have a link to where I can find one?

lip_ripper00
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM

RD

this is what I would suggest, we use a 12v fencer when up north to keep varmints out of our game pole area. Its on 24 hours aday for two weeks and the battery voltage drop was very minor.

Gateholio
03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
The question is if you are road hunting and you leave your truck idling, is that considered bear baiting.

Here is great website I found and book marked, that talks about bear fences and how to build them. Thinking of building one for flyin hunts.

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/safety/electric_fencing.htm

BHB

Good link, thanks

Rock Doctor
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks, that's what I was after...You don't happen to have a link to where I can find one?

I've been thinking about this one "Backpacker/Hunter Kit"
Small/light/compact, you don't need a setup that will power 5, 10, or 20 kms of fence. this kit comes with 250' of wire, and should be enough to circle your truck about 4 times.

http://www.waterstrider.com/bear-repellent-portable-electric-fence.htm

RD

7mag700
03-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Sounds to me like your truck needs a 'Cayenne Pepper Injection System'

7m7

Singleshotneeded
03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
:grin: Yup, and don't be fergittin' the big gun with the huge bullets,
cuz them bears do be fierce critters when they be after chow!:grin:

Camp Cook
03-17-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm not an electrician but couldn't you just make one with a car battery booster pack that you can buy from Canadian Tire and get the rest of the stuff from a farm supplier for a fraction of the price...

wolverine
03-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Bears will invade the back of restaurants (where used fryer oil is typically stored) to get at the oil, and I've had bears come and steal oil that I've had stockpiled at my house- I usually will only bring it home in winter, but last year I had some left over in the spring and a hungry bear made off with them!

I've only heard of porcupines actually eating hoses and tires, but every year in Whistler, people leave some McDonalds take out wrapper inside thier cars and the bears bust the windows!

I don't know about the bears and fuel lines but the Porcupines are after the road salt that is on the tires. It's amazing at how little salt it takes to attract them. I've had them chew up axe handles because of the sweat on them from the palm of your hands.