PDA

View Full Version : Gun Dog Training Seminar

bopper
03-15-2009, 12:06 PM
How many of you might be interested in a gun dog training seminar? If there is enough interest (about 10 participants) I could put one on at my old training grounds near Grindrod (between Salmon Arm and Enderby, 35 miles North of Vernon), or at any other location where there are enough interested people.
Seminar would be over two days (Saturday and Sunday). Saturday morning would be 'classroom' work with outline of the program, review of my training pamphlet, chalkboard discussions and questions about problems.
Saturday afternoon would be field (and water) work 'hands-on' with partcipants and their dogs. Sunday would be entirely field work using pigeons and ducks.
I retired from over 30 years of professional dog training a couple of years ago. Although most of my work was with the retriever breeds, I have owned (and trained) spaniels and pointers. 13 of the dogs I trained have made Field Trial Championships, plus many Master Hunters and many many more gun dogs.
If you are interested, please send me a PM.......thanks.

BoomBoom
03-15-2009, 05:13 PM
any of you folks that have a dog shouldn't miss this opportunity with Doug to get some great advise on gun dog training!!

...Doug has extensive experience and is extremely well respected throughout Canada and the US. Many of his dogs have achieved high levels of accomplishment...some National Retriever Champions as well...

...his seminars are well worth the time!!!

boom...

Jimbo
03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
A seminar like this would be very appealing ... in the lower mainland.

dutchie
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I will second that Jimbo,

Vernon is a little out of reach for me I think.. Princeton or oliver/osoyoos or Merrit would be good aswell..

dutchie

huntergirl270
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Lower mainland would be good for us too!
What do you need? Open space grasslands and water? If you are able to come down here, I can ask a friend if they can let us use their land. She lets the Lab/Retriever groups do their trials there.

hunter33
03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I would be in if it was in the Lower Mainland.

Sasquatch
03-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I'd attend in the LM also.

bopper
03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
There is almost enough interest from the Quesnel area to host a seminar there.....if anyone from Wms. Lake, Prince George and anywhere in the area is interested, please contact me and we'll set up a date and place...thanks,
Bopper (aka Doug Grant)

BeerBaitnAmmo
03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Lower Mainland would be great, Id be in for sure..... Though like dutchie said, princeton or merritt would also be good.....

Ben Fougere
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Is there anyone else from Northern BC who would like to attend a seminar here in Quesnel?

Like Bopper said. We have a few people here that are interested.

The next few weeks should be a good time to hold the seminar, because the ice will be coming off Dragon Lake soon. For those of you who are considering travelling to Quesnel it would be a great opportunity to train the dog on land and in the boat; all while getting in a little fly fishing for some trophy rainbows.

huntergirl270
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
So I count 6 for the LM... Any other takers?

Russmi
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd be interested for the Lower Mainland

Iron Glove
03-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I'd definetly be in for a LM seminar but our Toller is gun shy and she might not react too well to bangs and pops. Otherwise, we would be in.

1/2 slam
03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
LM as well...

huntergirl270
03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Keep em' coming :)
I for one would really like Doug to come down and share his expertise with us!

dutchie
03-27-2009, 09:17 PM
I'd definetly be in for a LM seminar but our Toller is gun shy and she might not react too well to bangs and pops. Otherwise, we would be in.

There is a CD called "Gun Shy Cure System"

http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Books-and-Videos/Gunshy-Cure-System-CD.html

it is apperently very very good.

I think that if your dog is gun shy then this will be a great investment... afterall tollers are "gun dogs"!

dutchie

PS i think that Bopper will be good at this too... So i would not count this out completly

jessonml
03-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Im in for the LML with my 6 month old Toller.

Chameleon
03-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Any idea what the cost of the two days course would be in the LM?

huntergirl270
03-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Re: Lower Mainland
Doug has said that if we can get at least ten people interested it would be around 100.00 each. That will pay for his trip down and his time for the two days.

Timber-hunt
03-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Lower Mainland I'm in

huntergirl270
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Doug has asked me to confirm those who are interested in the lower mainland training seminar........

The first day (Saturday) will be classroom work and the second (Sunday) will be field work. I am confirming the location this week.

The two weekends he has suggested are April 25-26 and May 2-3. Please let me know which works best for you.

It will be first come, first served and I think the spots are going to fill up fast as we have had tons of response already.

I will be PM'ing and emailing those of you who have shown an interest already. If you don't receive a message from me and you are interested please PM me.

1/2 slam
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
None of those days work for me.....I'm in Africa on a hunt from April 20 to May 4.

Jimbo
03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity for all us aspiring dog trainers. Can you tell us, Doug, how the Sunday field work would be organized to accomodate 10-15 dogs and handlers of different levels of experience?

Kasomor
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Doug has asked me to confirm those who are interested in the lower mainland training seminar........

He will keep the class down to 15 total so we each get enough time with our dogs.
The first day (Saturday) will be classroom work and the second (Sunday) will be field work. I am confirming the location this week.

The two weekends he has suggested are April 25-26 and May 2-3. Please let me know which works best for you.

It will be first come, first served and I think the spots are going to fill up fast as we have had tons of response already.

I will be PM'ing and emailing those of you who have shown an interest already. If you don't receive a message from me and you are interested please PM me.

Oh man!! I would be in for the LM and am extremelly interested in doing this workshop BUT Aprill 25 & 26 is the BC Lab Clubs Hunt Test at Bridal Falls and May 2 & 3 is the Golden Clubs Hunt Test in Aldergove. :-(

If Doug changes the dates please let me know and I'll be in.

Thanks,
Kasomor

huntergirl270
03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Oh man!! I would be in for the LM and am extremelly interested in doing this workshop BUT Aprill 25 & 26 is the BC Lab Clubs Hunt Test at Bridal Falls and May 2 & 3 is the Golden Clubs Hunt Test in Aldergove. :-(

If Doug changes the dates please let me know and I'll be in.

Thanks,
Kasomor
There are a few people having problems with those dates. I'll see what he can do.

huntergirl270
03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
I am sending out PM's to those of you who have confirmed and those of you who have expressed interest but wanted different dates. If anyone else would like info please PM me.

huntergirl270
04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Just want to give everyone who has confirmed a heads up on whats going on. I am going to give it through the weekend and count how many folks we have signed up for the May long weekend.
Cross your fingers that we will have enough to bring Doug down. Unfortunately there are a few people who are REALLY interested and this date will not work for them. I don't want to change the date again but we may have to if we don't fill the last few spaces.
Again, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact Doug or myself. If it is questions pertaining to details of the two day seminar that have not been posted already, contact Doug. If it is pertaining to spaces available, location, payments or anything to do with the organization, please contact me.
Cheers
Sherry

huntergirl270
04-06-2009, 08:01 PM
We have yet to fill the last few remaining spaces for the seminar so we are going to try something new….

I have not changed the date at this time but I would like if everyone interested in this seminar could email me EVERY weekend dates up to the first weekend in June that will work for them. Please let me know more than one if you can!!

I am going to make a chart and see if there is a weekend that works better than the long weekend.
We have enough people for the seminar but not everyone can make it the same weekends so that is leaving us short. I’m hoping by doing this we will be able to accommodate everyone.
Also, while we are at it, please send me the name, age, breed and sex of your dogs so I can forward the information to Doug so he will will have advance notice of the class make-up.

I will be sending out PM’s or emails to those of you who have expressed any interest in the seminar. If you do not wish to be sent this info or to be updated, let me know and I will remove you from the list.
Cheers!
Sherry

kinderdoggin
04-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Sherry,

When you are next talking to Doug could you ask him how many more spots he needs filled for the Quesnel seminar? We are pretty excited up north too and could probably wrangle a few more once we have an idea on the date :)

Erin

huntergirl270
04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey Guys and Gals!
I am off to Mexico for a week as of Tuesday night and I’m still waiting on information from a few of you.
We still have a couple spots to fill to get the May long weekend seminar going (as you know we need at least ten participants)
If we can schedule a better date for everyone we will.
Feel free to continue to send me info on your dogs and the weekends that work for you while I am away. I’m bringing my laptop so I can check my emails while I am there.
I will continue to try and get this up and running for those of us who are truly interested. I for one would really like to have Doug come down here.
Thanks for your patience.
Sherry

huntergirl270
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Update on seminar!!!
We are still short of participants for the May long weekend seminar :cry:The weekend of May 30 is the alternative from the looks of responses to my inquiry of which weekends work best for you. I will be sending out PM’s and emails this evening to find out if the May 30 weekend works for enough people to get this thing going. Feel free to contact me if you haven’t already in regards to your own preferable weekends.
Just to let you know, if you have sent an email to my hotmail account while I was away in Mexico and have not received a response, please resend it. My emails coming through my hotmail account were arriving in Spanish while I was there. Have solved the problem but haven’t had time to translate all emails received during that time.
Sherry

britman101
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Hello huntergirl: I have left a few emails for you. Just wondering what will be covered during the seminar, and which dates it will be held. Talk to you later.

Dennis

Griffon
05-01-2009, 12:04 AM
hello Huntergirl,

Just sent you a pm with my interest!

Curt

huntergirl270
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok guys and gals here is the roster so far for the May 30 seminar. (Those of you who have confirmed you are wanting a spot held) If I missed anyone... CONTACT ME ASAP!!! If I have put you down in error let me know as well.

BeerBaitnAmmo
1/2 Slam
jessonlm
Kasomer
Russmi
Tonto
Griffin?

I haven't had a reply back from a lot of you folks who originally said that May 30 was an option. Please let me know if this has changed or if you are still interested.

Sherry

Griffon
05-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi there!

I am interested in attending,preferrebly for the May Long weekend.

Huntergirl,I sent you a pm a while backasking for info ,did you get it?

I would like to find out about specifics for the weekend.

Thanks!

Curt

Bow Walker
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
What we have here is not right according to the Forum Regs...

14. No Companies or Businesses to advertise in the Buy, Sell, Trade or Forums, except for sponsors in the “Sponsors Corner Forum”. If you’re interested in advertising contact the admin about sponsoring the website.

...while I realize that Doug Grant is not a "business" or a "company" (i think) AND that he is offering what is obviously a wanted service, it cannot be in open forum.

I'm locking the thread and asking that it not be re-opened elsewhere - PM's are alright, though. Just not in open forum.

Bow Walker
05-08-2009, 07:40 AM
I woke up in the middle of the night last night and thought of a way this could be Opened.

Keep the money talk STRICTLY IN PM and it can remain open. Thanks.

bopper
05-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone;
The seminar is definitely on for May 30 & 31 in the Mission area.......if you are interested, we have room for a couple more participants......just contact huntergirl270 to register...thanks,
Bopper
:smile:

huntergirl270
05-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Everyone...
If you have not heard from me either via email or PM in the last couple days and are wanting to attend, please contact me a.s.a.p. I have just sent out the latest info to all who are confirmed and I want to be sure I didn't miss anyone.
Thanks
Sherry

huntergirl270
05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I am still missing email information for a few of you that have confirmed a space in the seminar. I am needing to forward copies of the registration forms in order for you to attend.
Please contact me a.s.a.p. if you have not received a copy of the registration form yet.
Thanks
Sherry

bopper
05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
The training seminar will be held this week-end (may 30 & 31) at the TNT Kennels training grounds in Abbotsford.......if anyone else is interested in attending, we have room for 2 more participants; contact huntergirl270 for details.:grin:

labguy
05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I took Doug's seminar twice and the information he delivers is excellent.

Best advice I can give to anyone attending is to listen and watch.

Enjoy the weekend. You'll get a lot out of it if you're receptive to learning.

huntergirl270
05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Here are the participants from Doug Grant's Gun Dog Training Seminar held this weekend.
In order from left to right:
John's (Tiptoe) daughter with Mabel a Wire Hair Pointing Griffon , Linda (Kasomor) with Tikka her Nova Scotia Duck Toller, Rod (1/2 Slam) with Snoopy and Dixie his English Pointers, Krista with Mia her Nova Scotia Duck Toller, Doug (bopper) with Freddy a Black Labrador Retriever, Trevor (Heavy) with Duke his Chocolate Lab, Garett (Tonto) with Zena his Field Bred English Springer Spaniel, Russel (Russmi) with Rex his Wire Haired Pointer, Jim (Jimbo) his Yellow Lab Hemi is not pictured, Eric (BeerBaitnAmmo) with Tikka his German Shorthair Pointer , Matt (jessonml) with Leo his Nova Scotia Duck Toller, and Chris with Blitz his Deutscher Wachtelhund.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_1101edited.jpg

Thanks to all of you for joining up and making this weekend possible and thanks to Doug for making the long drive down to offer his expertise!

Sherry

1/2 slam
05-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Sherry,

Thanks for organizing the seminar. It was a lot of fun. I learned some great stuff. Doug is awesome.

Jimbo
05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks Doug, for passing along so much of your knowledge. Thanks Sherry, for getting us all together. Great to meet new people and see everyone enjoying their dogs.

jessonml
05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes a big thanks to Doug for being such a patient and knowledgeable expert and kudos to Sherry for making it all possible.
It was a great seminar and good to meet a bunch of HBC members.
Just finished working on the "hold" and making progress.
Thanks,
Matt

Shogi
08-23-2009, 11:11 PM
saw this late but would be interested in this! anything closer to the lower mainland? we are in Delta. or do you have friends down here? i can always send hubby and magnum up that way but with shift work its hard for us to confirm weekends.... if anything comes up for 2010 let us know.

betteroffishing
12-06-2009, 10:39 AM
ditto on that shogi , i too am in delta and just welcomed a 3 month old gwp to the family , if you find a trainer please let me know as im interested in getting the most out of my new found freinds natural abilities.