PDA

View Full Version : good hunting companion

gh300
03-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Anyone suggest a good companion dog for family , camping , hunting , etc. lab maybe? prefer short hair.

Timber-hunt
03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
here is a good sight if you want to adopted few friends of mine got some good dogs from here

DOGWOOD RESCUE
where the dog comes first!
dogwoodrescue@shaw.ca or lichen-t@shaw.ca
604-926-1842
West Vancouver, BC
POINTER(S)/VIZSLA/WEIMARANER RESCUE
www.dogwoodrescue.petfinder.com

GSP are not very good with small kids -toddlers

dutchie
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
GSP are not very good with small kids -toddlers

I think that this is going out on a limb. All the GSP's i have been around have been very good with kids. There are alot of people that will strongly disagree with this statment, and I am one of them... Maybe the GSP that you had or the GSP that your friends have had were not good with kids. If you bring kids to an older impatiant dog the dog may not like kids because they are not use to them. It is kind of like a dog that grows up with cats will get along with them when he is older, but a dog that has not grown up around cats will chase them every time they see them.

There are lots of great threads on what kind of dog should I get. And most people are in favor of the dog they have.

Here are a list of my favorites and why.

Non-shedding dogs - Deustch Drathaar - Very versitile, great with kids, double coat, calm in the house but turns it on in the feild, can get a bit hard headed if you are not on top of them.

Short hair - Deustch Kurzhaar - Very Versitile, great with kids, short single coat, calm around the house turns it on in the feild, can get head strong inless you are ontop of them

Retrivers - Black Labs are great dogs, lots and lots of them around BC. The Chesapeake Bay retriver is another great dog that can get hard headed if you are not on top of them. They are great dogs for waterfowling because of thier heavy double coats but with a double coat you will se a significant amount of sheding. One of my best friends just got a NS Duck tolling Retriver, smaller then the Chessie or Black Lab and he is a very bright dog

I also really like the Portugese water dogs because they have hair (will shed about as much as a human) a great sense of humor, a great working dog, and also great with kids if you give them the exercise they need.

Make sure you know exactly what you want the dog to do and make sure you get them check for Hip Displasia because with kids they tend to hit, step on, jump on, roll with the dogs and a dog with bad hips will be snappy because they don't want to be in pain because of the above said reasons.

make sure you do the research on the dog and its needs, and make sure they will match your needs.

Dutchie

www.dogbreedinfo.com (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com) is a great site for some basic info, and google works better for the sites of the breeds.

Timber-hunt
03-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Don;t get me wrong ,depending on what you want the dog for I have a german shot hair pointer,and he wasn;t around toddlers and he is a little standoffish toward small kids there are a lot of good dogs out there I thought you were leaning towards German stort hair pointers my 2-cents