PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up on a Monster.

youngfellla
11-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Went for a quick hunt this afternoon out in my back 40, was walking along a ridge and I see an alder bush shaking back and forth. I figured it must have been a buck rubbing on the tree, so I got as close as I could and came up below him. Lo and behold, there was a big, heavy mulie buck standing there. I put up the binos and start counting points, he was a 5x4, so I chambered a round into my Marlin 45/70, flick the safety off, just then he winded me and started to run. I pulled down on the base of his neck, pull the trigger, and all I hear is one very loud 'CLICK'. I looked at the gun and for some reason the hammer-block safety didn't slide all the way over, and the hammer never touched the firing pin. So I take the safety off ALL THE WAY and lift the rifle again, but the buck is too far gone for a shot in that thick stuff. Now I'm at home kicking myself and putting gun oil on my Marlin. Damn Buck Fever, I really should get some more medecine for it.

Steeleco
11-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Sounds to me like you need to remove that safety with a kit like Amphib put on his 450. To me the only safety you need is your finger "OUT OF THE LOOP" Try again soon you never know. Good luck.

Amphibious
11-10-2005, 09:33 AM
the first mod I made on my Marlin was to remove that hammerblock safety. it;s evil.

Salty
11-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Ah yes the hammerblock safety. A perfect solution for a non existant problem :neutral: A have a few Marlins but they're all old enough not to have this lawyer button. The kits sound like the way to go, or in the mean time youngfella, I hear the right sized little rubber O ring will slip over the groove to keep it off when your hunting:wink:

Amphibious
11-10-2005, 12:27 PM
rubber o-rings work great, but even better, a split ring is a good solid fix.

what were the marlin guys thinking when they added that P.O.S. hammerblock safety? not only is it useless, it's ugly :S

Need a kit?

Clyde Ludwig
P.O. Box 26156
Wauwatosa, WI
53226-0156
(414) 536-1101 (after 6pm CST)

these kits are worth their weight in gold.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/16Crossbolt_001.jpg

Steeleco
11-10-2005, 12:43 PM
these kits are worth their weight in gold.
Or at the very least missed venison!!! That is such a slick looking kit, the untrained eye wouldn't know there was parts missing.

I can afford the kit :cry::cry: not the gun!!

Sikanni Stalker
11-10-2005, 12:46 PM
the untrained eye wouldn't know there was parts missing.

Guilty.........:redface:

rollingrock
11-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Ah...man, that hurts!

Bugsy
11-10-2005, 08:49 PM
The marlins that I have used in matches could lock off the safety.I don't know if thats only on those models or what.Pull off the stock and see if there is an allen head lock screw in there on the crossbolt.You can allso remove the crossbolt and make the notch bigger so it doesn't matter what position it's in.The kit does look better though.Later,Bugsy.:grin:

Salty
11-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Nice looking rifle Amphibious but what the hell is that 4th hole in the receiver for :p

youngfellla
11-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Come on Steeleco, we can all afford a Marlin. Don't worry about paying bills or stuff like that, just buy guns haha.Everyone else, thanks for the info on the Hammerblock safety. I'll definitely rig something up for it pretty quick. Still, I can't blame the gun it was my own fault.

Steeleco
11-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh I can afford the gun, sort of, but then I'll need dies, brass, scope, projectiles and a new gun locker, (old ones full.) An so on !!!!

boxhitch
11-11-2005, 09:54 PM
That 'safety' fix kit looks good, but WTF is that other contraption that is screwed onto the top of the reciever ? I hope it is just an aperture sight, right ??!!

Amphibious
11-11-2005, 10:39 PM
yes, it's a williams Fool-Proof peep sight and is paired with a red firesite on the front. skeletonized the front hood.

I hope you didn't think that was a scope base, that would be a crime!

Salty
11-11-2005, 10:44 PM
That 'safety' fix kit looks good, but WTF is that other contraption that is screwed onto the top of the reciever ? I hope it is just an aperture sight, right ??!!

right :smile:

Mulie_Hunter
11-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Ouch! that's rough.