PDA

View Full Version : this sucks

SLIK
03-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Last night at volleyball I ruptured my achilles tendon. Got my first griz tag this spring. 7:1 odds too, only one tag for the area.

Was hoping to catch up with this guy

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/moose%20hunt%202008/Picture096.jpg

Surgery is in an hour.
Anybody been through this and what are the chances I can catch the last part of bear season? or do I even want to

mainland hunter
03-14-2009, 04:26 PM
you may be good for late may early june. I busted my ankle and tore my tendons playing hockey and I was back skating again in 2 mos.

kgriz
03-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Looks like your picture was taken on a road.....if so whats the problem? I have met quite a few guys hell-bent to go slog up through the crap to get to the slides when the roads have more green ( and griz) along them anyways. I have spent many a-day up in the high country in my favorite area only to see or shoot them on the old logging roads below....depends on your area of course and whether you want to kill a bear or go hiking in the mountains:smile:

scoot
03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
When I shot my 6'4" blacky 5 years ago, I had a broken ankle and managed OK with no help LOL. You will make it happen, just have a buddy with you and still take it easy.

Ambush
03-14-2009, 09:39 PM
What area is your tag for. Should be easy enough to drum up some help for a grizzly hunt.

Big Lew
03-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Your best bet is to ask your questions from your surgeon, only he will know to what extent the damage was. Healing broken bones is a lot more predictable, providing you have good bone density and have been maintaining a good balanced diet. As an example, I broke my hip and smashed my elbow into pieces and still was able to practice enough with my 70 lb. bow to be able to harvest 2 bucks 6 months and 3 days later, and bicycle down the alaskan hwy. 14 months later. Tearing legiments, muscules, or tendons, need a different approach, they need complete rest for as much time as reccomended to completely heal or you will re-injure them, sometimes over and over, which can go on for many months. I hope your situation is not serious enough to require lengthy healing, but please take your surgeons advice, I have an older workplace friend that crushed both heals and tore both tendons from a bad fall several years ago, was stubborn and tried to get going to early, against his doctors advice, undid some of the surgery, had complications, and still walks with 2 canes even to-day. Good luck!

hunter1947
03-15-2009, 03:28 AM
I would wait and see what happens latter on after you have started to heal ,you will know if you can walk on it without any pain when the time is the right time.

Wait till near the last to weeks of the LEH dead line and see how you are.

Good luck with your recovery.

Fisher-Dude
03-15-2009, 09:13 AM
The best advice I can give you is to listen to your surgeon and follow his instructions religiously. Don't push it and screw yourself up for the long term - ask me how I know. :redface:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Call me old:redface: but I gave up sports when I started to take hunting more seriously.....just for this very reason.

Backpack training is the only "sport" that I now do.

Best of luck healing up.

SSS

one-shot-wonder
03-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Call me old:redface: but I gave up sports when I started to take hunting more seriously.....just for this very reason.

Backpack training is the only "sport" that I now do.

Best of luck healing up.

SSS

Ok I will call you old from now on...:razz:..You never should have thrown in the ball glove, perfect sport as it finishes by August, just in time to prep for hunting season......

With that being said, I think this is my last hockey season, fall is too hectic, and this city's ice times are horendous.

Slik,

About your tendon tear. Listen to your surgeon's advice but don't be afraid to get a few other opinions, I have had 4 doctors investigate my knee and I have had 4 different answers.

SLIK
03-15-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks for the tips guys. Surgery went well and I talked to the surgeon. He says I'll have to play it by ear, but he wants me to put weight on it again in about 2 weeks or so. Even then I don't plan on pushing it, even with pain killers it hurts like a bitch right now.
If anything I'm looking at this as a wake up call. I'm involved in quite a few sports but I think after all this I'm gonna do a little prioritizing. Competitive sports are fun but hunting fills the freezers eh :)