PDA

View Full Version : Would you hunt if you could not consume the meat?

BiG Boar
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Would you hunt if you could not consume the meat? Lets say no animals were edible, even deer.

What I am trying to come up with is a statistic that shows how many hunters would quit hunting if it wasnt for the meat.

srupp
03-13-2009, 01:27 PM
no...I dont personally hunt just to kill...however "harvesting an animal" and using it for food and such..yes..

Steven

SHACK
03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Well that's a loaded question, but I guess there would not be much point in it, unless you were an ardent trophy hunter. It however would be a completely foreign idea to hunt in the first place, since it would not be something that has grown into human nature by means of sustanance in time past. I can only say that the term "hunter gatherer" would have been simply "gatherer".

308Lover
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
You're too late with this question. Having been able to eat the meat all my life, I can't get my head around this question. I'd rather go fishing, I guess.But I draw the line at hanging them on the wall!LOL

frenchbar
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I would still hunt regardless if i ate the meat or not.Hell i go hunting and 99% of the time i know im not coming home with anything ,but do it cause i just like to be out wandering aimlessly around in the bush rifle in hand:wink:

Ron.C
03-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I love to hunt but I don't hunt just so I can say I killed something. I enjoy all the work that comes after the kill as much as I like the hunt itself. It's a the whole package from field to freezer to table that has me hooked.

Gateholio
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I know avid anglers that are allergic to fish, so.....

brenden
03-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I've killed a few animals I couldn't bring myself to eat. Goat, blackbear gophers, ravens ect. My family and I have eaten 95% of the meat I have put down. I don't think the burning desire for elk and deer would be as strong if I couldn't eat them. We don't serve beef in our house. Ever.

Dannybuoy
03-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Except for any coyotes (50 - 60 ?)that I did "harvest" for the fur a few years ago . Sorry Rishu , I didnt consume any of the meat :-o
I guess I would do the same on bears if they became a problem for farmers and possible wolves if they become open in our region

Kody94
03-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Would you hunt if you could not consume the meat? Lets say no animals were edible, even deer.

What I am trying to come up with is a statistic that shows how many hunters would quit hunting if it wasnt for the meat.

If game was inedible, there would have been no reason for humans to hunt. Hunting would not then be hardwired in my DNA. Ergo, no, I doubt that I would be a hunter today and would not have an innate desire to do so.

Now, if you were saying that I am still what I am based on the course of history that has gotten me here, but I could no longer consume the meat...I would say yes, I would probably still hunt. I also have to assume that there would be some use for the meat....I would not shoot deer, for example, just to leave them to rot.

BCBRAD
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
tribal memory says hunt, fish, gather(as in firearms and related stuff) talk about the afore mentioned to keep memory alive and quaff brewed things.

tomahawk
03-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I see no purpose in killing an ungulate if your not eating it.

open-sights
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I would still hunt, just differently.

proguide66
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Would you have sex if you couldnt make babies?:razz::razz:

pitbell
03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Absolutely not.

Krico
03-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Sure I would. It would still be fun. I would just focus on fur bearing predators. As for the sustenance arguement-I can buy a mountain of groceries with the profit from selling a grizzly hide:D

jeeper
03-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Tuff Question !

So much about hunting isnt the meat for me . Its the challenge of the "HUNT" , Going places you normally wouldn't . Without hunting would you look at that hill over there and wonder what is it like in that draw , or over the edge, and then take the hours to bushwack to get there?

Then theres the comradere around the fire and sharing storeys while having a good meal , and maybe a few wobbly pops at night .

I used to just backpack , never even fished many of the alpine lakes i got into (didnt fish back then ) I still went out . Hunting just pushed you to go to those areas you didnt origanly get to because there was no fantastic view , or alpine lake .

Id probably in a scenareo like this still hunt but just with a cammera !

Bruce

SteadyGirl
03-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I would continue to hunt as long as it were still legal. I would be highly selective and might not kill anyting for years at a time though.

yukon john
03-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Hell ya between my wife and I we only eat a small portion of the animals I hunt/guide for every year the rest I give other people to eat. The knowledge that I wont be eating an animal in no way changes the hunt for me.

gitnadoix
03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Nope I wouldnt ...I dont need to get an animal to call the trip a success but I would not be out there to kill any thing just to watch it fall down.

wolverine
03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Only vermine.

2slow
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
If you can't use the meat or fur there is no reason to kill it. My most memorable hunts are ones that I never pulled the trigger at all.

mcrae
03-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Tough question...

To be honest hunting is so hardwired into me I will stalk a mouse in my house for if I see one... So I think that I would still hunt. Glad its just a make belief question though...

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-13-2009, 04:47 PM
NO! I would go out and buy the best camera i could afford. Often thought if old doc said no more meat, how could i still get out and track all those old boy's .Or if the f$^*ing enviroes won and we could not hunt anymore what would i do. Well the camera is the only thing i could come up with.

The MAN
03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Yes and absolutely! The meat I can care less about to a degree, I'm after trophies and give the meat away to people that need it, I will make a few sausages etc. but the family doesn't like it.

Kind of like hunting coyotes......if you think about it.

Barracuda
03-13-2009, 04:52 PM
of course people would hunt even if the meat was not edible. one look at the variety of species we take should confirm this . The whole i only hunt if i can eat it is a lie folks tell themselves to justify the activity because society has deemed it somehow better or more acceptable to do this.

The truth is , is that none of us need to hunt to sustain ourselves we do it because we are hard wired to hunt.

food is only one small reason people hunt yet so many claim it is the only reason:?

yukon john
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
of course people would hunt even if the meat was not edible. one look at the variety of species we take should confirm this . The whole i only hunt if i can eat it is a lie folks tell themselves to justify the activity because society has deemed it somehow better or more acceptable to do this.

The truth is , is that none of us need to hunt to sustain ourselves we do it because we are hard wired to hunt.

food is only one small reason people hunt yet so many claim it is the only reason:?

well put cuda I think that no one would put in for leh on cows and does but we still would be out there tipping stuff over, a leopard cant change his spots

gitnadoix
03-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Cuda you must be a very accomplished socioligist or some such word

What I think you ment to say is many people would still hunt as for them the drive to gather is very strong. I, like some others would probably start hunting with a camera.

Not every one chases predators, I am glad some do. But myself if I cant eat it I am gonna let it walk. I dont need to actuall kill the critter to have the rush of perhaps outsmarting or some such primmordial thing. Those stalks that I have put on critters with bow in hand to only then back away are just as if not more fullfilling than the the ones were blood has been drawn.

bopper
03-13-2009, 05:24 PM

I belong to the Okanagan Shoot and Release Club....
"Conservation Through Incompetence"...........

Camp Cook
03-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Put me into the yes column because I would definately continue to hunt.

Johnnybear
03-13-2009, 05:34 PM

One of my regular fishing buddies isn't allergic but doesn't eat the fish he catches and is a total fanatic.

I belong to the Okanagan Shoot and Release Club....
"Conservation Through Incompetence"...........

:lol::lol:.

ape
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
No probably not

Gr8 white hunter
03-13-2009, 06:10 PM
no what would be the point,just to kill i think not.

moosinaround
03-13-2009, 06:25 PM
My ultimate goal when I hunt is to put grub in the freezer! I would probably still get out in the bush and View nature. I need it!! Moosin

Bow Walker
03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't "hunt" just to be able to kill something. What I 'harvest' I eat.

So - in answer to your question, YES - I'd give up hunting and take up target shooting and/or varmint extermination.

M.Dean
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I love hunting, have done it all my life, I enjoy the kill more than anything, the adrenalin rush is second to none, the stalk is great, being in the outdoors i also love, but pulling the trigger is second to nothing! Yes i would hunt if I couldn't eat the meat. It's a dumb question, just makes good people have bad thoughts about others!

Big Lew
03-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I hunt with a bow or gun for the meat. I spot and stalk only and get tremendous enjoyment from hunting whether I am successful or not. Bagging an animal that I've stalked gives me a wonderful sense of satisfaction, but I personally don't kill animals just to add them to my tally, or to impress other people, I've only kept one set of antlers from over fifty deer and moose. Were they not edible, then I would still hunt, but with a camera, (which I have always done anyway for most other animals and birds.) The thrill of the hunt, the chase, the stalk, isn't lessened if I can't kill the quarry, for me anyway. Just my two cents worth.

Bowtime
03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I have a passion for hunting. I hunt for meat and for trophy. If I could not eat the meat it would be strickly trophy I guess. Is that the question your really asking?? How many trophy hunters are out there?? And yes, I would continue to hunt.

Caveman
03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Since I grew up hunting and it came that I could no longer eat the meat for whatever reason, I would likely continue, but donate the meat to someone the would use it. I would maybe be more likely carry a camera more than a gun, because of the endless, fantastic hours of enjoyment the thrill of the chase can bring.

If I had never hunted and couldn't eat the meat....probably not!

bc sportsman
03-13-2009, 09:26 PM
The reason we have hunting hardwired into our genes is because it has provided a source of food over the millenia. If hunting did not provide that nourishment then we would not have a hunters' instincts.

Hunting would be limited to protection. Hunting vermin to protect our food/crops, hunting predators to protect ourselves.

So...for those of you who say you would still hunt if we could not consume the meat...your instincts would not be the same and likely you would not be hunters to begin with.

I kill only because it serves my morally accepted purpose. In my case, its food for the table or protection of my interests (I trap mice/rats around my home). I have in years past left animals I could shoot (big ones too!) because others in our camp have harvested enough for all of us for the year.

This past season, we got all the moose and deer we needed in Sept. However, I and my son had planned a bow hunt in Kimberley for deer in Dec. We canceled due to lack of snow because that was part of the experience we wanted. However, if we had gone, I would have hunted real hard but likely would not have drawn on a deer unless it was a 'buck of a lifetime'.

Instead, I would have used the experience to learn to hunt better (and no comments from you sfire436!!!) and enjoy the company of family and friends.

If I took a great deer, then I'd make certain I or someone else would appreciate its sacrifice and use it appropriately.

03-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Check this paper out: http://peachlandsportsmen.com/declininghunters.pdf

It was determined that almost 95% of hunters are meat hunters. Note the declines in participation when LEH, antler restrictions, or other trophy oriented regulations were implemented. If wild game was inedible I'm afraid hunting would be a thing of the past...!

kishman
03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I'll shoot Crows and 'yotes and I don't eat them, so I guess I'm a yes.

PGK
03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Yup, tasty meat is a side effect of hunting for me. I just love being in the bush packing a gun

PGK
03-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Hey thats me! :D

s/s tikka
03-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I would hunt varmints as some of you said, and use a camera for the rest.

brian
03-13-2009, 11:31 PM
No I would not hunt if I could not consume the meat. My whole reason for hunting would be gone.

oscar makonka
03-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Well for about the last 15 years I've hunted and only killed 3 animals and haven't shot anything in about 5 years or so. So yeah I hunt without any real desire to kill anything and will continue to do so. I love to hunt but when you shoot something it's a whole lotta work, gutting, dragging or packing, cutting meat and then having to eat the damn stuff when I could be eating lobster or a nice tender marbled beef steak. I don't get any thrill from the killing. I hunt a whole lot more days than your run of the mill average hunter and turn down hundreds of legal animals every year.

houndogger
03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
you bet I would. Houndogging is the only true catch and release hunting.

ve7iuq
03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Well Oscar, you are not alone in your actions and feelings. And, in spite of all the goody hunters on here that don't waste any meat, I wonder what happens to those big mulie bucks shot in rutting season? You know, the kind that drive you from the kitchen when it is cooking.
I will probably be given a lecture here, on how to cook old bucks. Save your effort, I have been there and heard it all.
It is interesting that the law in BC that states you must bring in all the meat from the bush, doesn't say what you have to do with it once yu get it home! Oh well, the ravens and crows need something to get fat on in the fall.

horshur
03-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Well Oscar, you are not alone in your actions and feelings. And, in spite of all the goody hunters on here that don't waste any meat, I wonder what happens to those big mulie bucks shot in rutting season? You know, the kind that drive you from the kitchen when it is cooking.
I will probably be given a lecture here, on how to cook old bucks. Save your effort, I have been there and heard it all.
It is interesting that the law in BC that states you must bring in all the meat from the bush, doesn't say what you have to do with it once yu get it home! Oh well, the ravens and crows need something to get fat on in the fall.

they almost don't even make good dog food.

bopper
03-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I no longer hunt big game, except with my camera. But I could never understand the regulations requiring that all edible portions of a game animal must be taken. It must have been instigated by those who oppose trophy hunting. In my years of hunting and guiding I don't know of any instance where meat could be considered 'wasted'. All you have to do is return to the site a couple of weeks after a kill, to find nothing remaining but some bones and scraps of hide and hair.
Wolves, bears, wolverines, coyotes, eagles, ravens and other predators (and insects) make short work of any remains. If they weren't feeding on this carcass, they would be taking down another animal.
Once an animal has been killed it is DEAD - why should it matter whether it was taken for meat or a trophy? Many trophy hunters willl hunt for years to take one trophy, while some meat hunters may legally shoot 3 or 4 animals a year. In either case, all the meat will eventually be consumed. Let's stop bashing the trophy hunters, most of whom have a greater respect for wildlife and do more to promote wildlife management than an awful lot of meat hunters.
If I had backpacked 3 days into sheep country and taken a good ram, and was able to pack out the horns, cape, and a few choice cuts of meat, I don't think I should have to make another trip to get the rest of the meat.

Mr. Dean
03-14-2009, 05:22 PM

I do so now, so I'd have to say yes.

ve7iuq
03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Bopper, you are uncanny! You have used the words that I have been saying for years, only after, "Once the animal is dead," I add, "And you punch the tag," what does it matter what happens to the meat? However, you are talking about guided hunts and that part is always taken care of.
One time the manager of the game department of a large BC division, who had a masters degree in biology, was at a fish and game club meeting. Much to the dismay of many of the members, he said that in the interests of the the envirenment and ecology, it would be better if the meat was left in the bush. I say to the dismay of many members, because so many hunters seem to think that eating all the meat is the ultimate test of being a responsible hunter.
I can also tell you how this rule, taking out all the meat, was adopted in BC. Saskatchewan has always been near fanatical in their zest that all the meat of anything shot, be consumed by humans. In the late 1970s a man who had been a game warden in Saskatchewan, came to BC and got a wardens job here. I happened to know him, and he just couldn't believe that it was not compulsory to take out all the meat.
It was largely through his great vocalizm, and getting people worked up about it, that the rule was put in place in BC.

Wolfman
03-14-2009, 05:52 PM

I know a few guys who 'hunt' cougars though he doesn't eat 'em ;-) Guess it depends on the kind of 'prey' you are talking about ;-)

Mike

kgriz
03-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Too bad BS doesn't taste good...this thread would supply a lot of good eats!:p Oh I wouldn't possibly hunt without eating it......whatever, I haven't seen very many good pictures of meat hanging with the bragging to go along with it on this site.....unless you count the odd 160 muley "meat buck":roll:.....now don't bother to go dig some pictures up...I'm sure there's a couple....I'm just pointing out that most strict meat hunters would probably not bother with this site anyways.

frenchbar
03-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Well for about the last 15 years I've hunted and only killed 3 animals and haven't shot anything in about 5 years or so. So yeah I hunt without any real desire to kill anything and will continue to do so. I love to hunt but when you shoot something it's a whole lotta work, gutting, dragging or packing, cutting meat and then having to eat the damn stuff when I could be eating lobster or a nice tender marbled beef steak. I don't get any thrill from the killing. I hunt a whole lot more days than your run of the mill average hunter and turn down hundreds of legal animals every year.You just dont like blood on your hands:lol: Man up and kill something:p

oscar makonka
03-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Actually I've never had a 'bad' tasting deer that I've processed myself and I've shot some stinky bucks. I don't hate game meat at all, it's nice once in a while, but it's not worth shooting one for the half dozen meals a year I'd want to eat it and its hard to give away around here. I just prefer domestic meat, besides friends are always pushing their deeer, elk, or moose meat on me anyway so I do get to game meat anyway. I look at it as I can hunt all I want and never have to bother with the hassle of killing anything..........'cept for when buddy phones to help him drag some carcass out of the swamp which seems to happen frequently enough.8-)

kgriz
03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh yeah and "bopper".....well said. Dead is dead, I'm sure the sheep thinks he got a ***ity deal regardless if you eat him.:eek:

Gateholio
03-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Bopper, you are uncanny! You have used the words that I have been saying for years, only after, "Once the animal is dead," I add, "And you punch the tag," what does it matter what happens to the meat? However, you are talking about guided hunts and that part is always taken care of.
One time the manager of the game department of a large BC division, who had a masters degree in biology, was at a fish and game club meeting. Much to the dismay of many of the members, he said that in the interests of the the envirenment and ecology, it would be better if the meat was left in the bush. I say to the dismay of many members, because so many hunters seem to think that eating all the meat is the ultimate test of being a responsible hunter.
I can also tell you how this rule, taking out all the meat, was adopted in BC. Saskatchewan has always been near fanatical in their zest that all the meat of anything shot, be consumed by humans. In the late 1970s a man who had been a game warden in Saskatchewan, came to BC and got a wardens job here. I happened to know him, and he just couldn't believe that it was not compulsory to take out all the meat.
It was largely through his great vocalizm, and getting people worked up about it, that the rule was put in place in BC.

This is a very interesting concept, and I've never thought about it that way. Was there no meat retention laws in BC way back then?

hunter1947
03-15-2009, 03:23 AM
I would never stop hunting if I could not eat the meat.

After all years hunting it is a part of me you get hooked and there is no stopping ,it would be troffy hunting for me then.

ve7iuq
03-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Re Gatehouse question.
No, there was no law stating the meat had to be retained in BC, for any animal.
I forget the exact date it came in, but I think it would have been late 1980s.
For the first couple of years, the meat law partially exempted sheep and goats, in that only one quarter of the animal had to be taken.

oscar makonka
03-15-2009, 12:37 PM
You just dont like blood on your hands:lol: Man up and kill something:p

Them hands bluddy enough for ya!! :mrgreen::razz:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/markdriscoll/bloodyhands021.jpg

PGK
03-15-2009, 12:38 PM
You call that bloody? I've cleaned grouse and got bloodier than that! You don't even have any on your shirt! :D

frenchbar
03-15-2009, 12:45 PM

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/markdriscoll/bloodyhands021.jpg
Show us the kill,is that your Ram.

frenchbar
03-15-2009, 12:47 PM

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/markdriscoll/bloodyhands021.jpgWhat did the grouse end up looking like:razz:

oscar makonka
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Show us the kill,is that your Ram.

Think thats the deer Tom shot, I remember cleaning it, pretty sure he took the pic if I remember right.

frenchbar
03-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Think thats the deer Tom shot, I remember cleaning it, pretty sure he took the pic if I remember right.
How come you never cleaned my bucks for me:razz:

oscar makonka
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
How come you never cleaned my bucks for me:razz:

cause I don't like to get my hands dirty:-P

frenchbar
03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
cause I don't like to get my hands dirty:-Phahaha i forgot! :smile: