PDA

View Full Version : Shot antlers

03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
How many guys here have shot the antlers on their animals. Went to Saskathewan two years ago and two of the three bucks we got the horns got blown off, both running shots. Fin and feather did a nice job repairing the damage though. This year same buddie shot the antler off his mulie and his dad shot a hole through the paddle of the moose.

beastman
03-13-2009, 10:50 AM
How many guys here have shot the antlers on their animals. Went to Saskathewan two years ago and two of the three bucks we got the horns got blown off, both running shots. Fin and feather did a nice job repairing the damage though. This year same buddie shot the antler off his mulie and his dad shot a hole through the paddle of the moose.
sounds like some real ethical shooting going on:wink:

Ron.C
03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
sounds like some real ethical shooting going on:wink:

Ya, maybe wait for the animal to stop running and try a heart/lung shot??? The antlers should be safe then :shock:

goatdancer
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
The antlers are a long way from the heart........

Dirty
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes, the Texas Heart Shot. As Jelv-Meister would say, in a Johnny Cash monotone voice, "Burn, Burn, Burn, Burning Ring of Fire". This takes a whole new meaning to the song. Some of the biggest deer and sheep mounts I have seen, have bullet holes in them.

2slow
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I think i read somewhere that this is pretty common when people have buck fever they are concentrating on the anters and since this is where they are focused on in the scope they forget to refocus on the vitals

358win
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
340. Many years ago when I started with a scattergun 'n buckshot, I took a headshot on a close in trotting buck. All I could see was the head because of the thick underbrush. At the shot he disapeared behing a clump of buckbrush. I heard him fall, then fall, then fall ????

Ran around the buck brush to see him staggering 'n falling.
Finished the job with a lung shot.
Later I found one tripple 0 through the base of his antler.
This ended the headshots for me.

weatherby_man
03-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice shootin Tex!!!! Might want to go practice at the range a bit. :rolleyes:

yukon john
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Had a client shoot a moose this year with a 300mag he opened up with a horn shot nearly blew off about 8 inches of brow tine the bull was stunned long enough for him to settle down and put two in the boiler room

03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
The whitetail I hit blew the one side off below the base, popped it right out of the skull and killed it dead on the spot.

weatherby_man
03-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Were just having some fun with ya. I know its happened but hey, you opened up a can-o-worms with this one :-D

03-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Looked like a boomerang going through the air!

snipeshow
03-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I once shot a sleepin moose in the antler and woke him up...he didn't know what hit him...then put one through the neck, dropped him right back down.

BiG Boar
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
This is called "SPORT HUNTING", catch and release works on big game as well as fish. No harm is done to the animal, and you get your trophy antlers. Just shoot his anters right off.

mark
03-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Heres a set of sheds I found last year, the G-2 on the antler on the left was shot off. Ive seen a few racks with bullet holes in them!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0182.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=9273&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

brenden
03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
My hunting partenr shot a muley on a very steep slope this year. The angle of the shot put the bullet right through the lungs and took one antler off as well. Just the position of the quartering away shot...

SHACK
03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Had one pellet from some 000buckshot hit the base of a blacktail I shot one time. Cant say I have ever smacked antler with a center fire, nor would I want to!

winbuckhunter
03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd say LEARN HOW TO SHOOT!!! and don't take the shot unless you're comfortable.. shooting an antler off an animal is a tell tale sign that you suck and you should go home a suck your thumb!!

redthorn
03-13-2009, 05:17 PM
look really carefully at one mount in Hub sports...... it's patched back on, ot so it seems. anybody know the story?

mcrae
03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
hunt doe's then you don't have to worry about shooting off the antlers:tongue:

Shooter
03-13-2009, 05:49 PM
My buddy took a BT last year that had a hole through the ear.. does that count? BTW the hole wasn't from us.

PGK
03-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeeeeeehaaw hes inside a half mile and on the dead run, magnum im!

quadrakid
03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
i got one on quadra many moons ago with a nice clean hole through the ear as well.

ALPINE
03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
GOT OL MIGHTY BOY...some things are better left unsaid !!!

lol So True:oops:

.308win
03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
My very first big game animal was a woodland Caribou, back in newfoundland, A pretty nice stag(bull) think it had 23 points, anyways my first shot was a down hill shot at about 90-100yrds, held a little to high on him and took out just the tips of his lungs and just grazed the spine, numb his legs just long enough for me and my dad to get to him, when we arrived(20yrds) he was standing again, dad said neck shot him, squeeze one off, and he's still standing, shoot again and he drops. After we got him cleaned up my dad looks at me and laughs, I think i found where your second shot went, I all most blew off the right side main beam!!!:redface: 18 and full of buck fever!!:smile:

Perry

dana
03-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I lung punched a nice 4 point muley. He hunched up and then stood his ground heavin' heavy. I knew he'd be dead in a matter of minutes, but I've never been one to sit back and wait, so I held on his head and squeezed. He dropped like a sack of potatoes. When I walked up to him, he got up and bounded another 50 metres or so before piling up again. Turned out I had blown his one antler clean off at the base. Crazy thing was, I couldn't find that antler anywhere. I think it must of flown up in a tree or something, cause it was nowhere near where he was standing when I took that second shot.

sawmill
03-14-2009, 07:02 AM
I sot a 5x5 whitie 2 years ago that had a fresh bullet graze across it`s ass and the tip of the left side G3 shot off.Texas heart shot I reckon.

hunter1947
03-15-2009, 04:00 AM
I have never shot a piece of antler off any animal with antlers or horns.

I guess it is because 95% of all animals I shoot at are behind the frount shoulders.

ve7iuq
03-15-2009, 09:43 AM

Seveal writers on here have told you that you should not tell these things. I say congrtaulations to you, as you are one of the few honest writers on here. You are telling it in real life terms, while most writers on here are in their little dream world, where every rifle shoots sub-minute of angle and every hunters shoots the animal in the lungs at any range and whether the animal is running or not.
When was the last time you read on here of somebody saying he missed a shot on a game animal?
It is only in the dream world of the keyboard, that no hunter ever misses, or makes a bad shot.

SLIK
03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/moose%20hunt%202008/Picture100.jpg

I've had a couple people say this was a case of buckshot fever. It wasn't.
He was bedded down so when first spotting him all I could see were his antlers. I got up to about 110 yards set myself on a little stump looking down on him. From there I could make out his body but he was lying down behind a bunch of 2-3 foot high grass that was blowing in the wind. I watched him for about 15 minutes trying to figure out exactly how I was gonna hit em and if I could move to a better location. Even though the grass was giving me a hard time but I didn't have alot of cover to work with and this was the last day of a hard 5 day hunt. So I figured my shot would go inbetween his antlers and hit his hump hopefully breaking his spine. I was wrong. I checked later if my gun was sighted in properly (and it was) so I think it had something to do with yardages, wind or eleveation. Really though the shot I was trying to make was roughly about a 6" by 6" window. I came in low by about 2 inches and nailed him at the base of his antler and went into his brain. I normally aim for the vitals but the way the wind was going and the area around his bed, it was the best shot I could make. I don't like head shots and I always try to go for the vitals, but in this case it was a quick efficient kill.
My dad was hiking the same block and showed up about 5 minutes later. He's all about the freezer eh, he was so pumped......no meat loss:)

PGK
03-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Seveal writers on here have told you that you should not tell these things. I say congrtaulations to you, as you are one of the few honest writers on here. You are telling it in real life terms, while most writers on here are in their little dream world, where every rifle shoots sub-minute of angle and every hunters shoots the animal in the lungs at any range and whether the animal is running or not.
When was the last time you read on here of somebody saying he missed a shot on a game animal?
It is only in the dream world of the keyboard, that no hunter ever misses, or makes a bad shot.

Or maybe because some of us don't shoot at running animals at a quarter mile because we don't need to brag about how badass we are? Maybe.

sawmill
03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
To ve7iuq.
Are you one of thePITA lurkers I`v heard were hanging around here?If you are not then you are just a DOLT.Listen

sawmill
03-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Damn thing cut me off.I also wanted to say that people like you piss me off.

horshur
03-15-2009, 06:20 PM
To ve7iuq.
Are you one of thePITA lurkers I`v heard were hanging around here?If you are not then you are just a DOLT.Listen

you should really go back and read some of his posts...before shooting off.

I agree with him....ask any long term guide the shooting ability of there clients...hell I've seen more bad shootin than good. From some who shot teenie weenie groups as well.

shit happens more times than not just cause we can tell the story bending the longbow doesn't change that.

there is a reason hunters bullshit..it's cause most need to.

180grainer
03-15-2009, 07:34 PM
It's called shoot and release isn't it.

bearass
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
About ten years My brother inlaw called in a bull elk. They noticed each other at about the same moment.So he ended p taking a running shot and missed him.Looked all over for blood and nothing.So he goes back the next day calls the bull in again.This time he connects. His shot from yesturday went threw his horns.

I really like this story because it goes to show when bulls are ruting hard, anything can happen