PDA

View Full Version : Dinsdale Farm season review.

field marshal
03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Had an inqiry from Nanaimo regional wildlife chief Kim Brunt, regarding
any success on the Dinsdale Farm. I told him 45 geese were bagged during
the Dec. and Feb.\ Mar. seasons.Told him nobody bothers with the Oct.
season. He seemed pleased with the results as they still get lots of
complaints regarding nuisance geese. I asked about getting the
Specklebelly season reopened? Its not going to happen!!!
It seems a subspecies of the greater
Whitefronted goose migrates along the coast and its population is not strong enough to allow shooting. A cleanup of the field ie.,hulls, wads etc.
will take place soon.Those of you affected know who you are, so judge
yourselves accordingly?? In summary, Thank you to all who participated
in this seasons shoot. To a man you all behaved like sportsmen and I look
forward to signing you up for the coming season.

Cheers, Field Marshal.

Marc
03-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Had an awesome time out there this fall! Might even give it a try in the early season next fall if any birds are using the fields. I'll try and get out this weekend and take a poke around to see if any hulls got missed.

Marc.

SVIR-Symon
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I will aswell, I got the seal in for your and Marcs guns and the spring for his Beretta came in so i am going to put it back together and head up!

SVIR-Symon
03-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Might not be able to make it up Saturday the 14th, didn't think it was this short notice. Talked to Marc and he said you were thinking tomorrow so i might just have to do a solo mission next weekend.

Marc
03-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Field Marshall and I covered the field this morning, wouldn't hurt to cover it again in case we missed something.

There was about 20 geese in the field this morning and there was a cackler in the bunch. At first I thought it was a mallard as it was about half the size if not smaller then the other geese. When they took off there was a group of 6 geese and the cackler was at the head of the "V" what a funny thing to see.

field marshal
03-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Just to let everyone know Marc and I did a good sweep of the
shooting area at Dinsdales Farm. I believe we did a pretty thorough
cleanup. No need for anyone else to bother.
They were mostly Marc's wads anyway. lol.:lol::lol::lol::lol:????
Cheers,
Field Marshal.

longshot
03-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I wish I read this thread two days ago and not today, we would've definately come up there to help you guys. Good job though getting out there to clean it up!

When they took off there was a group of 6 geese and the cackler was at the head of the "V" what a funny thing to see.
Earlier this year in Victoria, my dad and I saw a flock of geese flying in a "V", and the leader was a crow??? Strange sight but funny!

Longshot junior

SVIR-Symon
03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Just to let everyone know Marc and I did a good sweep of the
shooting area at Dinsdales Farm. I believe we did a pretty thorough
cleanup. No need for anyone else to bother.
They were mostly Marc's wads anyway. lol.:lol::lol::lol::lol:????
Cheers,
Field Marshal.

I would do another sweep if needed. I always took my empty shells and on the walk out picked up wads so. i think it helps that way as well. I feel bad I could not make it. Because i really enjoyed using the field and good company to go out hunting with for a first year waterfowler.

kyleklassen
03-14-2009, 11:08 PM
it would be interesting to see the stats from when it was a free for all. (though none exsist). had a lot of good duck and goose shoots there.

HuntNHookSports
03-15-2009, 08:09 AM
the cackler was at the head of the "V" what a funny thing to see.

That cackler has been leading that flock for a while. I have seen them at Quamichan.
There is also a snow goose around that leads a flock of honkers. They were out in Crofton but I seen them on a ball field in Duncan yesterday.

longshot
03-15-2009, 10:13 AM
That cackler has been leading that flock for a while. I have seen them at Quamichan.
There is also a snow goose around that leads a flock of honkers. They were out in Crofton but I seen them on a ball field in Duncan yesterday.

Sometime in December here in Victoria I saw a flock of Canada's on a field along with a snow goose. The flock used that field for a week, and then they were no where to be seen. A few weeks later we saw a double of snows in a different side of victoria. Anyone seen a flock of snow's on the island yet? It's interesting how there is a couple here and there but no flocks.

Longshot jr.

Marc
03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Saw this guy just 10 minutes ago in a football field in Duncan. Curious to see if he stays for the summer if he's hanging with Resident geese.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/snow_goose.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/snow_with_Canada_s.jpg

shotgunjohn
03-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey Marc, that must be a hybrid.

Good to see all the interest in duck and goose hunting this year. Even though I didn't hunt the Dinsdale I'm pretty sure some of my spots benefited because of the pressure down there.