PDA

View Full Version : Slowly losing a hunting partner

Marc
03-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Poor Nash has been losing muscle mass on his head the past couple of months where he almost looks like a walking skull. He's now shy of 12 1/2 and presently on steroids to try and reverse the muscle loss but we'll see how it goes in the next couple of weeks. He's still eating and still seems to be enjoying himself with his tail wagging and walking around with the ball in his mouth. The greatest fear is he'll lose control of his jaw and not be able to eat anymore. Spending as much time with him as we can and trying to keep him comfortable.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Old_nash.jpg

Here he was in 2005 :frown:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3nash.jpg

ElkMasterC
03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Quite the difference.
I sure hope he fattens up with the 'Roids.
Can't bear to think what it's gonna be like when my Lobo gets up there.
He's 11 now, so it's on the horizon.
Best of luck, Marc and Nash!
Get better Nash!

Kody94
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
My ol' partner is now almost 15. He has been slowly losing muscle mass in throughout his body, including his head. We started him on a RAW meat diet and it seemed to slow it down considerably. In fact, he's currently got more energy than our 13 year old lab. Yes, 15 and 13....its a geriatric home for chocolate labs here. :)

bsa30-06
03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Marc, hopefully the steroids help him .It always amazes me just how fast and how much our pets become a part of our family.Best wishes for Nash.

Ciskman
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Thats sad to see. Hope he's doing better soon.

bruin
03-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Tough to watch em' get old. Was a good looking boy in his younger days. Keep us posted, good luck.

BigBanger
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Best wishes for Nash

wolverine
03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I lost my yellow lab last year. He looked a lot like Nash. He was 15 and a half years old and was all heart right up to the last week. It's hard to say goodbye because they become family members but I know in my heart we did the right thing by helping escape his pain. Hope things work out better for you Marc but just remember that if it comes to that it's the last bit of kindness that you can provide for him. Best wishes to Nash and your family.

Jimbo
03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Gonna be a difficult time ahead. Best wishes.

Sasquatch
03-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Hope the meds help Marc. You never know, it's amazing how resilient they can be.

dutchie
03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Loosing family members is tough, and loosing one of your best friends can be tougher.

I hope Nash can pull around for you

Best wishes

dutchie

Fido
03-11-2009, 08:26 PM
My heart goes out to you and family, and of cousre Nash lost my girl last March they are just like a family member. Good luck with him.

Marc
03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I had put them all on a raw diet about a year ago. Nash lost 15lbs within 6 months and was down to 85lbs which was a good weight for him. All 3 dogs have been doing great on the raw with lots of energy.Took him to the vet last Friday and he was down to 80 and the vet said she wouldn't like him to lose anymore.

From what I understood to be going on was his own immune system trying to fight something that's not there and eating the muscle away. The steroids are used to try and stimulate regrowth or prevent him from losing anymore. He's on the highest dose right now and every couple of weeks I have to cut it in half until hopefully it's just taken for maintenance. I understand he's getting old and his time is coming, just trying to keep him as happy and comfortable until he decides it's time. I'm not going to prolong his life if he's not happy being here. My wife is taking it pretty hard as he is her favorite and has been tearing up for the past week or so while they spend some time with us in the family room.

He's lived a full and long life so far. Hard to believe that this was the same dog diagnosed with hip Displasia in both hips at the age of two. If I had known he'd of lived this long I would have opted for the hip replacement.

Here is a picture of him hunting for the very first time at the age of 11 months back in Oct 1998 and his final hunt in Jan 2006 at the age of 9.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3nash_opening_day_2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marc_Jamie_Standing.jpg

Dirty
03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Hope your dog lives a few more years. I like dogs, the older they get the more they act like puppies again. They start being mischievous when they want to be fed, let out, etc. We just had to put down a Rotti, it's never good when you lose a dog.

trapperRick
03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Its hard to them go I had my old Lab Cole for 16 years when I lost him been 5 years and I still can't bring myself to get another

duckhunt
03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I am sorry to hear about Nash, give him my best wishes.

03-11-2009, 09:45 PM
My ol' partner is now almost 15. He has been slowly losing muscle mass in throughout his body, including his head. We started him on a RAW meat diet and it seemed to slow it down considerably. In fact, he's currently got more energy than our 13 year old lab. Yes, 15 and 13....its a geriatric home for chocolate labs here. :)

My old Malamute (Packer) was 14 in February. He's nearly stone deaf and has barely any smelling ability left and his sight isn't real good either. He's stiff when he first gets up but he's OK otherwise. I've been preparing myself for the worst. The cold weather doesn't bother him, in fact that's when he's at his best, but the hot summers sure do. He still weighs nearly 120 lbs. He packed until he was 7 and has been retired ever since, he was a heck of a hiking partner in his day...!

thetackdriver
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Just lost my lab on monday to cancer...only 6 years old.Hard seeing em in that sort of shape. best of luck
to you and your dog. Hope he gets better soon

kinderdoggin
03-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Nash is a beautiful old soul. He's lucky to have you, Marc. It sounds like he has had a wonderful life so far, and I hope you will have much more time together.

All the best,
Erin

Phreddy
03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I had a double whammy last month. First of all my best friend, Prince, 9 yrs old, had to be put down due to tumors on his spleen that were rupturing, then a week later my mom passed away.
It's no fun losing someone, but it sure helps knowing that they are both out of pain.
Hope your pal, Nash, gets on the mend Marc.

newhunterette
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Marc, I sure hope the meds work to give Nash a few more happy years with you, I know from our past conversations how much your dogs mean to you and the love and joy Nash has brought to your family. He has and still is a very exceptional pooch, please keep us updated on his progress.

Ali

dime
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Poor old dog, I know how sad it can be-we had to put ours down last year. Hopefully you get a little more quality time before you have to do the same.

longshotz
03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Lost mine in 1999 and I still tear-up from time to time when I hunt some "special places" .
Prayers are with Nash and you
Longshotz

Marc
03-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Took Nash back to the vet today. He's still losing weight and getting weaker so the steroids where not working. This time we did a chest x-ray and we've found out that he has a huge tumor on his liver and possibly his spleen. It's so big that it's forcing his stomach almost against his spine. Probably why he's having issues with his breathing as well.

Slowly weaning him off the steroids as they're not helping now that we know what the problem is. We'll be spending as much time and attention with him until he decides he's ready to go. He's still eating and waggling his tail. The little bugger was snooping around the clinic checking out all the feed bags and treats. He even found a cat toy I had to chase him around the examination room to get it back from him.

He doesn't have the energy to climb the stairs anymore and stumbles while trying to get on his dog bed, so when it gets to the point where he isn't enjoying life anymore and decides it's time we'll take him in and get him put down.

Thanks for all your support and well wishes, they've been greatly appreciated.

Marc.

killman
03-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear Marc, we had to put are Golden down after 12 years. It's hard losing a family member.

Fido
03-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Marc my heart goes out to you and your family, they are apart of us. Again I am so sorry.

BlacktailStalker
03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Thats really sad news, however its nice to know what the problem is so you know exactly what to watch and when the time comes, you'll know why it has to be instead of always wondering what it was.
Lots of dogs get half the life you've given him by the sounds of things so feel comfort in the fact you've given him the best and done everything possible.

Ddog
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
as i sit here and read this a tear is rolling down my cheek, i thank-you for letting me remember my dog and with the exact same attitude as you have Marc, it all sounds to familiar. My yellow Lab made it to 13 1/2 and when he was ready to go he let us know by falling over one evening when he went to come up on the couch beside me. It was 11 pm and at 2pm the following day he took his final breath while he was giving my wife and i a good-bye kiss on the vets table. it was very peaceful when he left us, we both knew it was only a see you later, until we meet again kiss.
Marc , good for you putting your buddies needs first, he will let you know when its time.

porcupine
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
There are few things nicer on earth than an old hunting dog and partner of yours. It's a bitterweet time and the loss we feel when our buddy is gone is heart breaking. Enjoy your time together to it's fullest and know that he will always be with you.
________
Chrysler New Yorker picture (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_New_Yorker)

Phreddy
03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I just buried my 10 year old German Shepherd in the back yard for exactly that same problem. My suggestion to you is to not let it get any worse, as we were told that at this point (same as where your pooch is now) he was feeling no pain, but when it hits it'll be severe, and being that he was so weak, etc. at that point, we didn't want to see him in pain. I guess the question we have to ask ourselves at this point is, "Whose benefit are we keeping him alive for, his or ours?" I know you'll do the right thing Marc because you obviously love Nash as much as I did Prince.

newhunterette
03-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Marc,

thank you for updating us with Nash's condition

our heartfelt care and understanding are with y'all

Ali

Marc
03-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Here is a picture that I took this afternoon. I had the two labs with me in the garden while I was setting up the green house and had marshall on the other side of the fence so he wouldn't bump Nash over.

Here you can see Nash with his tail still going. You can tell he's losing weight by looking at Penny's head and his. He's still using the dog door to go in and out of the house and he's still begging for threats with his tail wagging from side to side. I don't think he's ready to give up yet. Trust me I'm watching him closely, and if things start turning for the worst we'll take him in to get put down.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/visiting_at_the_fence.jpg

houndogger
03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
He will let you know when it is time Marc...

Looks happy to me.

bsa30-06
03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I have lost a few family pets over the last few years and it doesnt get any easier.Best wishes for you, your family and Nash i know it wont easy but it will be whats best.

BlacktailStalker
03-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Is he the gopher Marc :lol: ?? I've got a digger too !
He looks content there, his eyes look alert and his posture doesn't seem all too bad. Sometimes animals just decide they havent had enough, hopefully this is one of those cases.

dutchie
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Well Nash looks pretty darn content just being around the family right now, and it is you and your family that knows him best. As I wait for my dog to come home, I get worried about the heart ache they can cause at the end which is inveitable in all dogs lifes. But then I think of all the great times we had with them all and that trumps any sorrow I feel.

Rocksteady made a great thread a little while back that turns the "Sorrow" i feel for when our last dog was put down and being reminded of the good things dogs bring to our lives.

My heart goes out to you and your family and enjoy the days with each and every dog :) of yours!

A touching little story -

I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron , his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane , were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane , who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

dutchie

Wolfman
03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Marc,

I feel for you, man. As you know I just lost my old girl of 13 years a few months back. It sucks watching them fade.

I hope your lad heals up and gets a few more years of health and happiness with his family.

Can there be anything more beautiful and pure than that innocent, unconditional 1000% that a good dog gives his master?

Best wishes to you and to your good 'ol hunting pal.

Mike

weatherby_man
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Marc, my golden is getting old now and starting to show it, he doesnt get around too good like he used to. Its tough to watch and hes just been the best dog ever. When he goes I'll miss him a lot. Theres a lot of good dog people on here for sure, and we share your pain brother.

Marc
03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
We spent last night down stairs with Nash and had his bed next to ours. He was having troubles breathing and my wife was praying he'd go in his sleep.

Well the pain and suffering is now over except for what my wife and I feel in our hearts.

Nash was put down this afternoon around 4:00pm. He started to bleed from his mouth and the breathing became more and more labor intensive.

While under a mild sedative at the vet to take the edge off, Nash ate a whole package of soft treats (pill pockets) in the examination room before he was put down. I guess he figured it was going to be a long journey and wanted to leave on a full stomach.

It was quick & painless, and he never made a fuss just laid there in our arms and went peacefully. I cried my eyes out the whole time. I don't think I've ever had to do anything this hard and painful in my life. Here is a picture of " Bernfield's Nash Rambler" at the age of 1 and then the other picture was a couple of hours before he took his last breath a the age of 12 years and 4 months to the day.

I love you Nash and we're going to miss you so much.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Young_Nash.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/old_nash1.jpg

bsa30-06
03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
So sorry to hear Marc, remember the good times.RIP Nash.

frodo
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Marc as I write this I am surrounded by my 11 Labrador's-My heart goes out to you-may God give you peace!

newhunterette
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Marc,

I knew when I clicked on this thread after seeing you had left a message, I would be in tears.

I am so so sorry about the loss of Nash, he was a magnificient dog, friend and family member.

I let Breanne read your stories about him throughout this thread and everyday she would ask me. Today will be hard to tell her about. I am glad y'all were able to spend such a special time with him before his passing and you are guaranteed memories of a lifetime from the pictures you have shared with all of us.

our hearfelt condolences from all here in the Glinnum house.

Ali

camelsfoot
03-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like Nash shared a wonderful life,with great family,as all dogs should. This Jan I too lost my companion of 14 years, a wolf malamute cross. We've lost a few dogs over the years but it's never stopped us from getting another one. We now have a poodle a female husky and 5 eight week old husky blue heeler cross puppies. Puppies have to be one of the best medicines.

houndogger
03-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Marc...

BigBanger
03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I feel for you Mark , my thoughts are with you .

Elkhound
03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
we have talked about this. The wife and I feel for you. Sorry again Marc

lip_ripper00
03-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear Marc, I can say "I know what your going through" and have, but it doesen't make it any easier. The pain is for him is over and he spent it wher he wanted to, with you. Take care

Timber-hunt
03-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Sorry Marc for your loss, when thinking about nash and it starts to get to you, think of the good times you had not saying it makes it easier but it will bring a smile in your heart take care

NaStY
03-25-2009, 05:10 AM
Really sorry to here this. You have done the right thing by not making it drawn out. Its the unconditional love we get from our pets that hurts the most.......

sawmill
03-25-2009, 05:22 AM
I am so sorry for your loss,a great dog is better than a great human.Unconditional ,pure ,love and trust.My good friend is 4 years old now and I am looking forward to many more good times with him.I agree a new pup IS the best way to heal up.I hope you find another champion guy like him.
I`m gonna go have a little cry now.

Phreddy
03-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Marc. Just after I lost my dog, Prince, a friend sent this to me. It helped some so I share it with you.

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

todbartell
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
sorry to hear for your loss Marc, deciding to put my lab down was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life

killman
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Marc, sorry for your loss. It's hard to believe how much them darn dogs grow on ya.

leadpillproductions
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
marc sorry to hear that really sucks man

The Dawg
03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Sorry for your loss Marc. Remember the good times, and watch the traits Nash taught to Marshall come out more and more as the days go by.
Gone but never forgotten.

Wild Images
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you guys and Nash, putting Tikka down was the hardest thing I have ever done but you have to do what is best for the greatest friend that you will ever have.
Now Nash can chase those ducks again without any pain.

Our Sympathy is with you
Ken & Ger

Gunner
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
My thoughts are with you Marc,I'm afraid that I'm about to go through the same thing with Gunner,my namesake.We had him in to the vet Tuesday and his liver enzymes are totally out of whack,and his lymph nodes are swollen.An ultrasound Friday will tell the story I guess.I don't mind admitting that I'm scared shi*less.As with all of us and our dogs, he means more to me than I could ever say.I pray that I'm allowed one more duck season with him,but if it does'nt work out I will be doing the same as you,and easing my best friend to a better place.I know that if that's the case,we'll meet again someday.Best wishes to you and your family,.....Gunner

dutchie
03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
My heart goes out to you guys. It makes me think of our old girl but we know they are in a better place now.

Greatest sympathy for you your wife and your other pups.

dutchie

TBark
03-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Our family feels for yours Marc,
We lost our dog of 12 years back in fall of '07,
I watcher her take her last breath, I kept the wife & young son away for the last bit, felt I had to.
Then 8 months later, our 16 mo old lab / rotti cross got away from the wife on a walk, a fox bolted accross the hyway, she pulled off the leash, and was struck by a pick-up. lost that dog too.
Couldn't believe that could happen so close together. Our family was devastated. It took time but we are fine and we have the memories,
You folks will be fine in time too.

TBark

farside
03-26-2009, 12:45 PM
My sincere condolences Marc, to you and your family. Many of us have had to take that last walk with our beloved pets. It is brutally hard on our hearts but it is from the heart that these most difficult decsisions are made.

There is always the final price we as humans must pay for the unconditional love and companionship our pets provide us and in testimonty to that love, we humans recover and seek out that love once again in our own time.

Peace

Marc
03-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the support and comfort. I never would have expected that having a dog put down for the right reasons could be so hard on me. I still can't believe that he is truly gone forever. After living with a dog for over a decade you just expect them to be there forever. He was such a good dog and really never did anything bad. He touched the hearts of so many and was an exceptional hunting partner. I always thought in the end that it would be his hips that where going to do him in as he was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at the age of two.

No new puppy in the near future. I still have a 10 ½ year old female yellow lab named Penny and my 1 ½ year old Chessie pup Marshall. There is still more than enough puppy left in Marshall that I don’t require a new puppy at this stage.

The other two dogs are still adjusting to not having Nash around anymore. Marshall sniffs around the house looking for Nash but never finds him. I’ve started washing all the blankets and bedding that they use to try and erase some of the scent and confusion.

I’ve been spending a good amount of time with the other two dogs but something definitely still feels missing. I catch myself digging out enough food for 3 dogs then remember I only have two now. I’ve caught myself a few times calling out to Marshall and calling him Nash by mistake.

The hurting isn’t over yet and I don’t expect it to anytime soon but the days are getting easier bit by bit.

Sasquatch
03-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Sorry for your loss Marc. It's always a very tough time when you lose a close friend.