PDA

View Full Version : street gps with back country capability?

NEEHAMA
03-11-2009, 12:08 PM
alot of the new cars and suv's come with those street map GPS navigation in the dash. shows you where you are and where your going and when to turn.

i bought a cheap one at xs cargo $99. great little device to help me find address etc. really user freindly shows every street in north america etc..

does anyone know if we hunters can get the "back roads" info into these devices?

i always get lost around 100mile/gang ranch/williams lake etc..

it would be cool to have that little voice tell me when to turn so i don't end up in price george etc!!

husky30-06
03-11-2009, 12:23 PM
the problem with them is that out side of metro areas the maps are pretty vage. also the way our roads change and disappear, i would not count on them. as far as i know you are not able to store roads and update them, i would stick to a hand held GPS for country navigation. Just My thoughts!!!!!

troutseeker
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Canadian Tire is selling the Garmin Etrex HC with a car mounting kit and the street map cd for $199 instead of $399. Sounds like the best of both worlds with this unit.

NEEHAMA
03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
really? i wonder if that would have "main" forest roads in it?

i could then leave the pavment at 70mile and come out in williams lake without spending nine days driving in circles!

Singleshotneeded
03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
:-D:-D Some car units have downloadable memory storage, and if yours does, then you can install topo Canada in there and you're all good!

BCKID
03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
[quote]

does anyone know if we hunters can get the "back roads" info into these devices?

I asked that very question at the hunting/fishing show last weekend. The answer is.. (We are working on it.) On the other hand the salesman at Future shop said it can be done. You need to change the file extension to work with the unit you have. He told me to go to the website of the navigator (ie Garmin) and download a file exchange converter. I didn't try as I don't have a navigator. I was planning on getting a small laptop and going that route. BCKID

husky30-06
03-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Canadian Tire is selling the Garmin Etrex HC with a car mounting kit and the street map cd for $199 instead of $399. Sounds like the best of both worlds with this unit.

I would highly suggest this route...... was just in the lower mainland over sat..... used my GPS legend to get around the area. I also used my laptop on the run for the routing option, worked perfect.