PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Gameking 140 grain bullets for goat

6.5-284
03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I know that this subject has been beaten to death before (I actually remember reading some of the posts regarding other bullets) but I was wondering if anyone has ever used Sierra Game King bullets (140 grain) on goats. I am aware that other bullets like the Barnes X and Nosler are good but the Sierras fly better for me at longer yardage. I have shot the B-X and Noslers but they don't group as well as the Sierras. I have shot deer and Dall's sheep them and they worked well; excellent shocking power, but I am also know that a goat is a lot tougher than both of these animals. Regardless of hype I am kind of old-school in believing that shot placement is more critical than bullet choice to some degree. I also wonder whether the shoulder shot on a goat is as effective as the lung shot. I have always shot "just behind" the shoulder with good success. I konw that with goats anchoring them is paramount but I also know that that doesn't always happens even with 30 calibers. I have seen videos of goats being dropped stone dead with one shot, and have also seen hunts where the hunter emptied his gun. Old timers like O'Connor killed goats with a .270 with no apparent problem. I also wonder how much impact a goat's thick downy hair has on penetration. I am thinking that if the goat doesn't know I am about to give him a backpack ride, the Sierra 140 grain Gameking out of my 6.5-284 will work fine. As mentioned in the beginning of this thread, is there anyone out there who has used Sierra's for goats that could give me some advice? Thanks a lot.

SHACK
03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Heck, if they make you comfortable, and shoot best out of your rig, Im sure they will kill a goat just fine. You still just talking about a medium sized big game animal here, and any good quality 140 grn. bullet in the boiler room is going to put steaks on the table.
I think there has been way to much fanfare of the large heavy calibers, tossing 225 grns. of lead at mach speeds..........by god, how many animals were killed with ol 30-30's and the like!

Dannybuoy
03-10-2009, 07:43 PM
I know I knocked a bull moose right off his feet with a 140 grn right behind the shoulder .... bang flop .... didnt even take one step .... not that a moose is as tough as a goat but certainly alot more mass ..

.308win
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Not sure if the 140 GK is constructed any different then the 140 prohunter, but I took my bear with them last spring, put it through both shoulders and spine, complete pass through. 2 weeks ago i was at the range and thought I would do the old pine block test with them, got ~8 inches of penetration, but the lead totally disintegrated and separated from the jacket, and that was only at starting load, just over 2600 fps. Have pics if you like to see. I did take my Moose this year with 150 GK in my 708, bullet entered in the brisket, through the left lung and shoulder, no exit, no bullet found, those were going roughly 2700+/-fps. They both did the job, but I might go with a little better constructed bullet this year. That being said, the 140 Prohunter spitzer shoot real frickin accurate!! sorry for going on, just my .02 worth!!:smile:

Perry

todbartell
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I used the 140 SBT on a mulie a number of years ago. I also chose them because of how accurate they were. I loaded them in a 260 Remington, muzzle velocity was around 2600 fps. Found a nice mulie and poked one behind his shoulder but high, taking out his spine @ 250 yards. Obviously dropped him but had to finish him with a shot at close range. Both bullets failed to penetrate more than 8 inches, before turning themselves inside out with approx 30% weight retention.

End result was a dead deer but it kinda made me worry about what would of happened on a less than ideal shot if the buck wasnt broadside.

I hear goats are built like tanks so I would be a bit hesitant myself to use a Sierra BTSP on one. Maybe you should try a 130 gr Nosler Accubond? They hold together nice

My .02 :)

Kody94
03-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I have used the 140 SGKs on goat, with my 6.5 Gibbs. One shot, 300yds, behind the shoulder, bullet exited far side.
I've also killed a couple whitetails, a stone sheep, couple black bears, yotes, 2 bison...all with the 140 SGK. Nowadays I prefer the premium boolitz, but the SGK works pretty good in my experience.

The need to "anchor" goats and their toughness are both pretty highly overrated, IMHO. Sure, they can soak up a lot of lead for animal their size, but they aren't impervious to gun shot wounds! Just takes them a little longer to die sometimes, and they tend to nose-dive off cliffs if they can get to them. The only sure way of anchoring one is to hit it in the spine or head (which I don't recommend). Actually breaking both shoulders is even less likely...lots of folks really don't understand anatomy and where the bones in the shoulder actually are.

I prefer to slip a 6.5 through both lungs and let them walk off a little ways, get woozy, lay down and die.

Cheers

gerrygoat
03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I have used the Sierra 140's in the 6.5x55 and 260 Rem but have only done bullet tests on them, no game taken. Sierra's seem to be a little erratic in game performance which you can see by the posts in this thread all ready. Since the Barnes and Nosler's (Partitions?) aren't grouping as well try another bullet, ones that come to mind besides the 130 gr AB Bartell suggested, the 130 gr Swift they are accurate in my 264 WM really tough and have a B.C of .571 or wait for the 140 gr Accubond or Barnes 120 gr TTSX just coming out in the States now.
I don't know why some goats can take a lot of lead and others need only one shot but it might have something to do with how the first shot was placed. I have used the 260 Rem, 264 WM, 30-06 and 308 Norma Mag when I did my part they all killed goats well. If you don't drop the goat on the first shot then hit some bone on the second and that should do the trick. A big billy is really put together well "built like a tank" sums it up nicely. It will be interesting to hear what the other goat guys have to say on this subject :)

goatdancer
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
SSSSter
Were those bison on LEH in BC?

Slee
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
SSSSter

I was thinking the same thing. It is illegal to shoot a buffalo in BC with anything smaller then a 175grn lead pill.............

Gateholio
03-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm surprised a certain someone hasn't shown up on this thread;)

There is always some Saint, trying to "pin" something on someone...:-(

todbartell
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
SSSSter

I was thinking the same thing. It is illegal to shoot a buffalo in BC with anything smaller then a 175grn lead pill.............

IIRC he is involved with a bison ranch ;)

Kody94
03-11-2009, 06:52 PM
todbartell has got it correct. I've posted about my "6.5 Gibbs on bison" a few times, so at least someone has paid attention. :) Besides, I am not lucky enough to get 1 single griz draw in Region 4 in 17 years of trying...I doubt I could pull off multiple bison draws in this lifetime.

My Pop had a bison ranch in the Peace for a number of years. He didn't like to kill them himself, so I got to do a lot of "terminal ballistics testing". :D

A 220 Swift to the head is pretty effective on bison too.

Triggerman
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm a Nosler Partition Fan. Using 160 grain with my 7mm I've one shot killed large bears, deer, wildebeest, hartebeest, warthogs, coyotes etc.

They were also the most accurate at 100 and 200 yds when I tested almost everything made from 140s to 165s.

;)

Singleshotneeded
03-12-2009, 01:13 AM
:grin: ...and it has to be .30 calibre or larger, and have minimum specs for velocity and energy in the 30.06 class...unless of course you're shooting bison on your dad's ranch...lol.

Gateholio
03-12-2009, 06:39 AM
:grin: ...and it has to be .30 calibre or larger, and have minimum specs for velocity and energy in the 30.06 class...unless of course you're shooting bison on your dad's ranch...lol.

Not correct...

The regulations don't state caliber, just 175gr or larger bullet which retains 2000ft lbs at 100 metres.

Dumb law, since it doesn't take into consideration bullet construction, but there you have it..

We used to buy bison meat form SSSSter's dad, to serve at the restaurant. It was fantastic meat.:wink:

Kody94
03-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Not correct...
We used to buy bison meat form SSSSter's dad, to serve at the restaurant. It was fantastic meat.:wink:

Of course, you got the professionally slaughtered at the abatoir and government inspected stuff....but it was all fantastic. :D

:( I miss that place.

StoneChaser
03-12-2009, 08:19 AM
There were a ton of goats killed well before the Nosler AB and Barnes TSX were invented. Hunt with your 140gr Sierras and be sure to post pics of your goat when you get home, they'll work well.

budismyhorse
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
There were a ton of goats killed well before the Nosler AB and Barnes TSX were invented. Hunt with your 140gr Sierras and be sure to post pics of your goat when you get home, they'll work well.

I'll second that....

doesn't matter what bullet you use if they are hitting the rocks all around that goat.....shoot what you are comfortable and CONFIDENT with. Game Kings are fine for goats.....most goats have to take a few shots to go down regardless of its construction.

If you really want to switch, 140 accubonds are the next best. Downrange accuracy is second to none, and in my experience, downrange is the norm with goats.

Manglinmike
03-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I have takin goats with a 300 wm and the bullets pass thru pretty good,I have heard that the stronger bullets don't open up as well because the goats are so slender and that a bullet that is designed for small game is better.

6.5-284
03-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Some good points made. I am very confident with the Sierras. The Noslers and Barnes bullets group okay out to about 300 yards. After that, they get funny. My Sierras on the other hand do much better beyond those yardages. Before my sheep hunt I practiced by shooting milk jugs out to 500 yards. I used my pack for a rest to make it more realistic. Obviously I would not take a shot at a goat that far, but I like to practice those shots because it really makes you concentrate on your form, etc. After shooting at long yardages like that, it makes a 250 yard shot as easy as shooting fish in a bucket. By the way, the Boone and Crockett reticle really helps make these shots. With my 6.5 and a 140 grain bullet, it is right on the money out to 500 yards. Of course you have to dope the wind right as well which isn't always easy...Keep the info coming. It's been interesting hearing what all of you have to say.