PDA

View Full Version : Big Clearwater Buck Poached

dana
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/clearwatertimes/news/40871963.html

I would say the title of the article is wrong. This guy ain't paying the big bucks that he should be paying. IMO, the fine is a slap on the wrist. I will commend the Local CO's though. They certainly do a hell of a good job and don't receive the praise that they should. Keep up the good work guys.

Ambush
03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Good work by citizens and officers alike. Hope he lost his hunting privileges for a while to.
But let me be the first to say it. The man killed that trophy with a twenty-two.

I know, I know, it was probably a 22 MAGNUM:roll:

humble hunter
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
$2500 bucks! he got off way too easy. This was on July 26th not even close to season. It did not say anything about losing his hunting privilidges either. The only way some guys can get a trophy buck is to poach one, very sad! I hope his buddies (if he has any) and everyone in town hassles him.

frenchbar
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Nice to see the Rapp line working and the public reporting low life poachers.

.308win
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/clearwatertimes/news/40871963.html

I would say the title of the article is wrong.

And so is your post.....it's a "Little Fort" buck!!!:biggrin: But forsure....he did get off easy! And I do agree, the boys are good at what they do!

Perry

Fisher-Dude
03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
"Green is alleged to have shot the deer in the Clearwater area on July 26 of last year, said Chayer."

I'd say it's a famed Clearwater buck (or at least it was :-( ), not a Little Fort buck. Regardless, Little Fort has some dandies too.

Good to see the COs catch that poacher!

Brambles
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
GEEEZ That thing was that big by The end of July, imagine how big he would have been with another months worth of good growing. What a tank

elker
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
It is unfair to the whistle blower, he or she should get some reward.

dino
03-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Im calling the co to find out exactly where he was shot.:biggrin:

Dirty
03-09-2009, 08:25 PM
What a shame that this buck was poached. Good on the CO's for catching this guy.

Goliath
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
This guy ain't paying the big bucks that he should be paying. IMO, the fine is a slap on the wrist.

I agree. Where's the punishment?

A poacher I reported in the early 90's was fined a mere $2000, and had his license suspended for a year (two whitetails shot out of season). It took the local CO, good old Bob Hamilton, half a year to track down the creep. The fella even had the balls to challenge the conviction as he gambled that we wouldn't make the court appearance--:cool:. Anyways, the fine was disappointing.

Why don't the courts make these clowns pay all the court costs plus the CO's time, plus a chunky fee to habitat conservation etc etc??

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
That was one nice mowitch ! At least the poacher did not get away with the rack. They should have to wear a big sign on thier back that say's "scum sucking poacher"

quackquackbang
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
that would have been a nice deer come october!! to bad some people have to ruin it for the true hunter out trying to get a trophy deer like this!!!

Will
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Poaching to feed one's kids....well that's one thing.

But poaching just for the glory of the horn is well......quite disgraceful.

I agree...penalties should be raised substantially on these occasions.

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2009, 05:50 AM
It is unfair to the whistle blower, he or she should get some reward.

The reward is that a poacher got caught and fined, and has an infraction record under the Wildlife Act. Why do people need to be paid money to do the right thing?

SteadyGirl
03-10-2009, 06:58 AM
A minimum $10, 000 fine would make people think twice

mark
03-10-2009, 09:25 AM
A minimum $10, 000 fine would make people think twice

Actually any dollar value put on the crime is not really justified. Its all relative to the poacher??? $2500 to someone who is barely getting by in life is a huge amount of money, if your a multi-millionare, $10,000 is laughable, hey lets go shoot some more!!!
I firmly believe that in every poaching case, the firearm and vehicle should be seized (or equivelant value of the truck, so if your leasing a $60,000 truck thats your fine!)
This would equal the same kick in the nuts to a rich man or a poor man!!!
Also some sort of wildlife volunteer work, Having to work for free would really make people think about what they have done, writing a cheque is just to easy for some!

P.S. real bummer, would of been an awesome trophy for someone to be proud of!

Mr. Dean
03-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Shitty deal.

Agree with the community service comments. PITA for anyone to commit to that.... Money is just to easy for some.

trapperdan2061
03-10-2009, 11:27 AM
So if he gets a recipt for the money to the Habitat Conservation Fund it's tax deductable right???????

Big Lew
03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
There's far too many willing to cheat, and then try to fool everyone, including themselves, into thinking they're great hunters and "heros."
Similiarily, all those adult cheating morons that shoot smaller than "4-point or better" bucks during bow and youth season. If they can't play by the rules, then they should lose their right to hunt for a long while, and if caught during suspension, pay a very heavy fine and/or jail time.:mad:

TPK
03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
.. they should lose their right to hunt for a long while, and if caught during suspension, pay a very heavy fine and/or jail time.:mad:

.. and that hunting ban needs to be right across this Country, not just one Province.

yukon john
03-10-2009, 08:44 PM
they should shoot em with crossbows then feed them to sterilized wolves

tooley
03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Actually any dollar value put on the crime is not really justified. Its all relative to the poacher??? $2500 to someone who is barely getting by in life is a huge amount of money, if your a multi-millionare, $10,000 is laughable, hey lets go shoot some more!!!
I firmly believe that in every poaching case, the firearm and vehicle should be seized (or equivelant value of the truck, so if your leasing a $60,000 truck thats your fine!)
This would equal the same kick in the nuts to a rich man or a poor man!!!
Also some sort of wildlife volunteer work, Having to work for free would really make people think about what they have done, writing a cheque is just to easy for some!

P.S. real bummer, would of been an awesome trophy for someone to be proud of!

I agree however, loss of hunting privileges is worth more than any amount of money imo

eastkoot
03-11-2009, 09:08 AM
My hunting partner and I did the right thing by reporting a poacher in Ft. Nellie and to my disbelief, we both received 175 bucks in the mail as a "reward"??? Never asked for it or even realized such things existed.

Gateholio
03-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Good work by the CO's and and the RAPP reporters!

Mr. Dean
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Delete.............

elker
03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
My hunting partner and I did the right thing by reporting a poacher in Ft. Nellie and to my disbelief, we both received 175 bucks in the mail as a "reward"??? Never asked for it or even realized such things existed.

that is what I expect if I dial RAPP

reasons:

1. reporting any criminal activity has its potential danger to you and your family

2. It will encourage me to allocate more time to crime watching

3. It will help me financially purchase the next rifle

4. I am worth it

35 Whelen
03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Your right the fine should have been way higher for such a grand buck being taken out of the gene pool. However , I do have to comment on this.....he rec'd a far greater fine for a wildlife act offence than our criminal courts are handing out for some very serious offences. Just shows the sad state of our courts sentencing guidelines in general

I say use my tax dollars to build more prisons and get some elected judges into those positions of authority....then maybe, just maybe we have a chance to save what is left to the province for the good honest , and hard working individuals.

We need to make breaking the law and the punishment handed out so unappealing that no one would ever want to break the law.

I say we hire a guy like the sherriff down in Texas. His prisoners live in tents, year round, no air conditioning , no TV , no internet, no phones, they wear PINK uniforms , eat bologna sandwiches and drink tang orange juice. His return rate is NIL

There, done my rant for the week.....

Good work C/O's....I know you guys have a thankless job....but we thank you. As for you Kody...I hope you meet a G Bear that decides you look pretty good out of season..........

dana
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
35 Whelen,
You are correct that our entire justice system is a joke. Really hard to get upset that this guy gets such a 'small' fine for poachin a buck in July when gang bangers and crack addicts are getting away with murder and end up on the streets the next day.

Do you remember way back when the Liberals first took power they closed down a bunch of prisons accross the province. We had one closed down here. It was a min security prison which did a lot of good. First time offenders from mainly petty crimes were sent here. Most were 3 month sentences. They had a small mill and other job training and taught the guys good basic life skills. They helped out around the community alot too. From shoveling snow off of walkways, to clearing hiking trails in Wells Gray, they did it. IIRC each prisoner was paid a $1 an hour for their work. I think these prisons did a hell of a good job and was well worth our tax money when compared to how much the repeat offenders are costing us.

oscar makonka
03-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Exactly, we need more jails, they are all full everywhere. There is no place to put these criminals so they just let them go. On the news they said there are 40 thousand criminals just in the Edmonton area alone with previous criminal records awaiting charges to be tried for things like armed robbery, manslaughter, murder, assault & battery and smaller things like drive by shootings, car theft and home invasions etc, grow opps and meth labs, gang activity, etc, many of these guys have been arrested for more of the same things while they are out on bail, or have skipped bail or failed to show for probation are picked up charged again some of them a half dozen times or more for the same thing, and with a few more bail conditions released yet again. These guys are out walking the streets everyday in your town and mine. The judges and lawyers and politicians talk rehabilitation and civil justice, how can you rehab someone when you don't even know where they are. Hang em or lock em up, just get them off the street and out of my neighborhood. The priority needs to be shifted to the safety of the public and stop focusing on the rights of criminals.

All those probation violators aint out there looking for jobs.

Johnnybear
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Good work on the RAPP reporters and the CO's. I sure wish we could see more CO's out in the bush. I agree that this individual got a slap on the wrist and that he should have got the hammer.

Sounds like you had a good facility and program up in your parts Dana. Too bad it got shut down:-(.

Deaddog
03-12-2009, 06:02 AM
In regards to Dana's post regarding closing jails, get ready for more... while the prov liberals are talking tough on crime, they are at the same time cutting the budgets on all custody centers, resulting once again in a continued influx of repeat offenders back into the community's ... things truly will get a lot worse..

SUAFOYT
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
35 Whelen,
You are correct that our entire justice system is a joke. Really hard to get upset that this guy gets such a 'small' fine for poachin a buck in July when gang bangers and crack addicts are getting away with murder and end up on the streets the next day.

Do you remember way back when the Liberals first took power they closed down a bunch of prisons accross the province. We had one closed down here. It was a min security prison which did a lot of good. First time offenders from mainly petty crimes were sent here. Most were 3 month sentences. They had a small mill and other job training and taught the guys good basic life skills. They helped out around the community alot too. From shoveling snow off of walkways, to clearing hiking trails in Wells Gray, they did it. IIRC each prisoner was paid a $1 an hour for their work. I think these prisons did a hell of a good job and was well worth our tax money when compared to how much the repeat offenders are costing us.

X2 re Bear Creek. Since the closure, KRCC has had to expand at who knows what cost to us, and the Rayleigh and Clearwater sites sit empty. I've worked in KRCC on many occasions since 2001, and the staff have lost control of that institution from what I've seen. It's overcrowded as hell and sooner or later something serious is going to happen. To make matters worse, the lib's are floating a proposal for a new facility somewhere in the Interior. As said before, they've got 2 sitting empty! The Bear Creek facility also did tons of firewood which was then delivered at no cost to seniors in the area that heat with wood. That's also gone.