PDA

View Full Version : So when is the best time to take a good mulie buck

Manglinmike
03-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I see the threads that say the region 5 buck hunting well be shut down from nov 10-20,peak rut! what do the locals have to say? Should I load up the Betty Ford and go up for the first week ,or do I wait and hit it after the 20th?

mark
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
If I had to choose between pre tenth or after 20th, Id go with the later for better success!

tomahawk
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I prefer the later dates as well, although I would wait and see what the regs are before making any concrete plans. If it ain't in writing yet don't get too excited.

PGK
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Everyone and their dog will be there in the late season. I won't be anywhere near region 5 this year if those changes go through.....

Timbow
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Everyone and their dog will be there in the late season. I won't be anywhere near region 5 this year if those changes go through.....

I can see if you are road hunting. Off the beaten path you won't have any problems with running into other hunters. If this is going to be the general idea of other hunters, it will be great for the guys hunting 5.

Manglinmike
03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
I've been hunting the same area for 7yrs now and I have only seen a handfull of guys in the bush. The majority of the hunters we meet seem to think that road hunting is more productive during the rut hunts. Well I have shot a couple of bucks from the truck on the way to and from hunting areas,but they don't have the same place in my heart as the ons that I out smarted on foot !!

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I've had great success in the last two weeks of Oct. Mulies are on the move from summer range to rutting grounds , do your scouting and try to move back country from well hunted area's. The big boy's can be harvested before they get heavy in rut . Good luck

CanuckShooter
03-10-2009, 07:21 AM
If I lived in ABBysford I'd not waste my time deer hunting region 5 when there are toads living in the Kootenays or Kamloops/Princeton area??? They are making these regulation changes because the deer have been shot out......think about it man....why hunt where they are adding restrictions??? Do you really think the MOE doesn't know what they are doing in taking away the deer openings??

jessbennett
03-10-2009, 09:25 AM
If I lived in ABBysford I'd not waste my time deer hunting region 5 when there are toads living in the Kootenays or Kamloops/Princeton area??? They are making these regulation changes because the deer have been shot out......think about it man....why hunt where they are adding restrictions??? Do you really think the MOE doesn't know what they are doing in taking away the deer openings??

the deer are shot out?????? errrrmmmmm.....:confused: hahahahahahaha thats a good one.

Brambles
03-10-2009, 09:32 AM
I'd go for the late season but head up a couple days early to scout around without a rifle, find where they are hanging out, maybe find your bigone so you can optimize your chances at getting on the deer soon after the 20th. Some deer will still be rutting until the 30th or so, but the peak should be over

CanuckShooter
03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
SEE the guy from the West Kootenays wants you to head up to region 5, without your gun...WHY when the deer season is open in his back yard?? I live in 7a....so don't have any stake in this. :eek:

eastkoot
03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Clearwater in the summer, don't you read other threads.. Just don't get caught or brag about it!!!

dana
03-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I personally wouldn't count on a lot of the big boys to be still rutting fierce come that last week of Nov, but....the later the hunt the better chance that the weather will push the big boys down low. The last week would definately be my choice.

Manglinmike
03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Six of one half a dozen of the other.I have taken some nice bucks in the area that I hunt,north of willams lake, but all between the 10 and20, on the other hand my brother has been on some float trips late season south of willams lake and seen some dandies

DawgGone
03-10-2009, 09:38 PM

:cry:I dont think the deer are shot out in region 5......but Reg's limiting hunting to pre & post rut periods is saying something about the area's deer population.
:confused:

hunter1947
03-11-2009, 05:48 AM
If me I would hold off till the late season ,lot better chance on getting old mossy back when his guard is down.

Lots of big bucks come down to rut in the latter part of the year and there way more noticeable at this time of the year then early season.

mark carey
03-12-2009, 07:42 PM
if you want better eating venison go with the earlier hunt