PDA

View Full Version : need a new thread topic...........

tuffteddyb
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm..o.k
now i am not saying i do this or approve of it either ,i am just curious.ok?
what do members think of the "texas hearty shot"
would you take one?a shot that is.
is it possible to have a definite kill with it?
just use in a emergency on wounded game as a back up shot?
how become i got a feeling i gonna relly regret posting this?

Singleshotneeded
03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
:-D No ethical hunter would shoot an animal in the arse unless it was wounded and getting away, as a last resort. Look what other brilliant thing came out of Texas...namely George W Bush...right...don't take that shot except in an emergency...:-D

358win
03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I have had many chances to and never have.
I figgure I've blown the stalk if I have this shot only as an option.

Bowtime
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I am not a fan of that last resort shot. I hunt for meat. But if it's injured I might resort to it. But haven't had to yet, and hope I never have to.
Knock on wood.

Dannybuoy
03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I am not a fan of that last resort shot. I hunt for meat. But if it's injured I might resort to it. But haven't had to yet, and hope I never have to.
Knock on wood.
likewise .... I would ask why not just aim a couple of inches higher and hit the back of the head ? I had to do that once for on a wounded mulie that a hunting partner hit ...

3kills
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
i would never shoot anything in the arse as there would be too much meat damage but i do know people that have done it...uncle did it once..the first moose he ever shot 30 some years ago he shot right in the arse....like dannybuoy said just raise it up a bit and take it in the head if u had to..all the animals i have shot have been brod side through the lungs and i will continue to wait for the brod side shot

lucky07
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
only on wild turkey when your hunting with a bow ... it's the only time one should ever take a Texas heart shot. The only reason why this is ethical is that it's a soft body and when they are strutting it may be the only shot you have ... nice and open target which results in instant death... Not many turkeys in BC though

RiverOtter
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking that faced with a buck of a lifetime, there are actually a fair number of guys who would change their mind, if only for that one time...

What does the anti "Leather Cheerio" crowd think of the head on shot....
Basically the same scenario, only in reverse.

ALPINE
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
What a Mess. lol It happens but to actually go for a Texas Heart Shot I would have to say no. It would be way easier to raise your sights just a little higher for the neck or head shot like 3kills said. Then again some people will say a head shot is unethical too?

Mr. Dean
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
As with any decision, the answer is based on circumstance. Yes/No is absolute, I'd go with, perhaps but not on a 'meat' animal. :smile:

As a rule, I don't take running shots anyway. The option for me having to decide on even taking this shot is slim I figure.

RiverOtter
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
What a Mess.

Actually, when an animal is on all fours, the guts are free and clear below the pelvis opening....

Ron.C
03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm primarily a bowhunter and I can in all honesty sit here and say I wouldn't take a Texas heart shot with a bow. Period.

With a gun, if the animal was moving, I'd have an issue as I don't like moving shots. If it were still, facing away showing me his arse, I'd rather try for the back of the head/neck.

I get no pleasure from seeing an animal suffer. It sickens me when I wound an animal. But I'm also not into blowing it to hell in a hope it may go down by trying to fix one bad shot by making another.

Bow Walker
03-09-2009, 02:02 PM
X2 Ron. I wouldn't either. I'm a meat hunter and the odds of ruining the meat are too high for me to take a shot like that - especially with a bow.

Gun? I'd go for an instant kill shot at the base of the skull. Unethical? Hell no!

Will
03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I've watched enough really Good Bucks walk away in my scope to know I wouldn't take the ars pipe shot ! :wink:

d6dan
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Let'em walk, you'll always feel better on that decsion and have good memories.

Mr. Dean
03-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I know this - If I wanted the animal that was in my scope and meat wasn't a consideration, I'd hammer 'em up the chute, if it was all that was presented.

Why not? As long as you have something that will yeild the penetration needed, it's D E A D.

RiverOtter
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I can understand the bow crowd, not taking that shot, as well as several other shot placements.

But the modern rifle with modern bullets is a lot different. Assuming the bullet used is capable of penetrating stem to stern, I don't see why it is so taboo to do it in reverse. Also assuming it's the only shot presented and the animal is stationary.

Gunner
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
No way,no how,no chance.I was brought up NOT to take that shot,and even with modern high quality bullets,I see no reason to change now! Gunner

wolverine
03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Personally, couldn't/wouldn't do it. Doesn't matter if I wasn't going to eat the meat or not. Even on a damned yote I'll do everything to avoid that shot, even if it meant letting them run off. I am so fortunate that in all the years that I have hunted I have never wounded and animal other than fatally of course. Never had to chase one through the bush for a second shot either. I like to think it's because I wait for my shot and that doesn't mean at 50yds. Last season I took animals at 300+ yds. I guess I find it un-neccessary as well as unsavory. Besides..... my cutter would kick my ass if I brought him something that I had nailed in the third eye.

boyd050
03-09-2009, 06:42 PM
2 seasons ago my hunting partner put one right up the ol chute on a whitey buck, actually about an inch below the pucker, wasn't on purpose but that's where he hit it, it went down like it was pole axed!!! that was the only good part... cleaning that mess out was unpleasant, and a lot of lost meat on both hind quarters basically disitegrated the pelvis, so would I do it?? not on purpose!!! and i hope not by accident either!!!

RiverOtter
03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
A double shoulder shot can destroy a lot of meat as well, when crappy bullets are used.

wolverine
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
A double shoulder shot can destroy a lot of meat as well, when crappy bullets are used.

It can without a doubt so don't use crappy bullets. Besides, shoulders are good for grinding for sausage. Rear quarters and tender loins is where the good stuff comes from. :wink:

beastman
03-09-2009, 07:19 PM
One of the members on this site ( grizz ) said he took a texas heart shot on a four pointer last year in region 3-18.
i watched him try and explain it the CO.
ill let him fill us in if he wants too.

lucky07
03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
nice avatar/picture thingy beastman ...

and ... uhm ... to whom may have this story mentioned above ... PLEASE fill us in... for education sake

RiverOtter
03-09-2009, 07:35 PM
My point was I don't use crappy bullets and get fairly predictable results. I routinely punch shoulders and waste very little meat in the process, due to TSX's not fragmenting/blowing up like cup/cores. Having a TSX exit a ham, after going through a shoulder, lungs, liver and breakfast is not uncommon.

Surely there are guys here who wouldn't think twice about a full frontal shot, with the hams as a backstop....why is the reverse route so much less appealling.

quadrakid
03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
i once took a blacktail with the bow and was mystified when i found it as i could not see an entry or exit wound. this deer only went 30 or 40 yards. i finally noticed my fletching about an inch from the rear exit. he must have jumped the string or begun to move as i released. never would take the shot on purpose with a gun or a bow.his liver was a mess,stomach fine.

thatskindafunny
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM
hello, probably going to get bashed here, but at my age, probably don't know any better. Crap, there he is, shoot him right up the pipe, nice buck, Holy smokes you lost about 2 pounds of meat the butcher says. Oh well. Next deer, Holy shit looks like you got him in the ass, yup I say, he dropped like he was poled axed. Oh well, crap the butcher says you lost about 3 pounds of meat. Oh well, that's the way she goes. Oh, bang there is a shot and I go and help my partner drag his buck out. The butcher is not happy as there is a hell of a mess as the shot is in the shoulder. Ahh it traveld and both shoulders are gone. Crap ther is a shit load of wasted meat and it wasn't up the ... I guess the pipe. And as I say I probably will get bashed. But oh well, only been hunting for 40 years and always willing to learn. :) Oh and meats in the freezer.

Mr. Dean
03-10-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't think that I could count the number of gophers that I've shot up the hoop. Same said for squirrels.

LOTS!

hunter1947
03-11-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm not for this kind of shoot ,if you do shoot at this animal with this shot there is a good chance that you will wound it http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

vanislehunter1
03-11-2009, 08:08 AM
As with any decision, the answer is based on circumstance. Yes/No is absolute, I'd go with, perhaps but not on a 'meat' animal. :smile:

As a rule, I don't take running shots anyway. The option for me having to decide on even taking this shot is slim I figure.
i know a person who shot a moose with the texan heart shot, and, well, it did what it said, right into the heart, AND the meat, none of it at all was damaged. go figure huh?

vanislehunter1
03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
It can without a doubt so don't use crappy bullets. Besides, shoulders are good for grinding for sausage. Rear quarters and tender loins is where the good stuff comes from. :wink:

i found that out the hard way, me and my dad shot a moose in the exact same spot, me using winchester super x bullets and my dad was using NP the shot i took made the exit side as big as your shoulder blade, my dads exit hole was the width of a thumb. lots of meat lost there:-?:icon_frow:cry: