PDA

View Full Version : bows

dutchie
03-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Well last year I was in the Empire Valley with a bunch of our friends and on of them has a Martin Bow.

He let me shoot it and I spent about 2 hours playing around and shooting it. It was alot of fun.

I don't want to spend a ton because this bow is more for practicing, but what would be a good bow to start with...

I like used stuff too!

dutchie

Bow Walker
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Have a look in the "Rifle Bows and Shotguns" for sale Forum on here. There are always bows for sale in there.

yamadirt 426
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
You have to make sure your draw length is correct and your pull #'s are where you want them to be. There is very little adjustments you can make.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
426 is about half right .... for instance i pmed you about my Hoyt ... that has very little adjustment with the "spiral cams" the Cam 1/2 cams have about 2.5 - 3" adjustment .... the newest BowTechs have upwards to 8" draw lenth adjustment without purchasing new Cams or Moduals

draw weights: most bows have about a 10 pound spread ...some like Martin have about a 15 pound spread depending upon models and geometry of the bow

dutchie
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
as a new shooter do you think that Hoyt would be a good bow or do you think it is too much bow?

dutchie

Dirty
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Bows are bows, it's not like a Hoyt has the recoil of a 375H&H. :biggrin:

Ruger4
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
If your going to spend the money on a Hoyt , definately look at the Mathews lineup :biggrin:

Ambush
03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I would say, since it's your first bow, get a 50lb - 60lb bow. Some recent models of Hoyt and Reflex with the Cam and a 1/2 system had adjustable draw lengths. Four inches of adjustment and you don't need a bow press, only an Allen wrench. And draw length is critical to good shooting.

That's a handy feature when buying and re-selling.

Keep in mind that short axle to axle length and high speed often spells harder to shoot for a beginner.

It will most often be cheaper to buy a complete set up than to buy everything separately. Don't worry too much about the accesseries, if you stay with it you will be trying different things anyway.

Lots of little used bows out there, taking up closet space.

jessbennett
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM
go hoyt!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Bowzone_Mikey
03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Bows are bows, it's not like a Hoyt has the recoil of a 375H&H. :biggrin:

spoken like someone that hasent handled alot of archery equipment ;)

an old Martin Fury would make you think twice about that statment

Dirty
03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
spoken like someone that hasent handled alot of archery equipment ;)

an old Martin Fury would make you think twice about that statment

LOL. I was just trying to say that for the most part, just because a bow is from a certain manufacturer doesn't mean that is going to be too much for a newb. I would be more inclined to look at ATA and Brace Height as limiting factors of specific models. I am no expert, that is for sure, but aren't short ATA bows and short brace heights indicative of bows that will be difficult for beginners to shoot with?

Ron.C
03-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I would be more inclined to look at ATA and Brace Height as limiting factors of specific models. I am no expert, that is for sure, but aren't short ATA bows and short brace heights indicative of bows that will be difficult for beginners to shoot with?

Yes.......

mcrae
03-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I learned on a BowTech Tomkat. It was short axle to axle but still had great brace height. I can't remember the exact amount but it was easy to shoot and very forgiving...

Bowzone_Mikey
03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
LOL. I was just trying to say that for the most part, just because a bow is from a certain manufacturer doesn't mean that is going to be too much for a newb. I would be more inclined to look at ATA and Brace Height as limiting factors of specific models. I am no expert, that is for sure, but aren't short ATA bows and short brace heights indicative of bows that will be difficult for beginners to shoot with?

Ya I know .. That said tho I have been "Bit" by my fair share of bows ... some days i wondered what was worse ... Not holding a 300 mag properly and having a bruised shoulder(chest, arm , neck etc...... ) or not holding a snotty bow properly and having that bite mark on the inside of yer arm.

Short ATA mean nothing ... I know a guy that learned on a Mighty mite for petes sake ..(29" ata) and a 29" draw .... a short BH all that means is the arrow stays on the string for a longer amount of time throughout the power stroke of the cam... and is more suseptable to form imperfections .... heck a short brace bow I feel taught me to shoot with proper form (other wise I would get bit or miss)