PDA

View Full Version : LEH, to prepare or not prepare is the question......

one-shot-wonder
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Just curious to see if people prepare beforehand for limited entry hunts or do they buy, buy,buy and ask, ask, ask later if sucessfully drawn.

What do you do?

Fisher-Dude
03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I'll just let you fill my moose cards in from now on. Worked last time. ;-)

Slee
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I see the only people to vote so far are guys who didnt draw a grizz tag this year. Sure know by all the "please help me" threads that those guys havnt voted yet Grrrrrr......... :) jk

killman
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I usually won't put in for a area I don't already hunt.

Deadshot
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Something or someone will usually peak interest in an area first. Then a little research comes into play. Apply next & if successful, then it's full on research including maps, schedule, logistics, etc. Same applies for any hunt though, not just LEH.

Steeleco
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I apply for areas I think I know already. All I need to do now is get one!!!

PGK
03-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Depends. Hard to put much effort into researching a goat draw in May.....usually I don't apply for areas I've never been to...

mcrae
03-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't apply for areas I don't know unless I am going with buddies/family that know the area then I will...

Ambush
03-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I will apply for anything that interests me. If I get the draw, I will buy the tag and I will go and hunt. I quit putting in for bison, and I have a good open area for goat, but the rest I put in.

Gateholio
03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I won't put in for a draw I dont' have a reasonable idea about or reaosnable chance of attending the hunt.

I learned the hard way when my dumbass buddy got a grizzly tag near Bella Coola and I asked him why the hell did he apply there? He said that I had mentioned I had been to Bella Coola before, and there were lots of Grizzly bears, so he applied, without noticing there was no road access...:eek:

We put the trip together and were going to go blind when SRupp noticed it and called me, and thank god he did, as we gained valuable knowledge from him.

My first grizzly tag is this spring, I did a bit of research (read: called Steve) before applying, and it's only a few hours from my home. So I figured I coudl head out and if the snow was still too deep, I could go home for a week or two and come back, later. So before I ever sent in the LEH card, I knew what I was dealing with and that I had a very good chance of being able to go hunting!:cool:

I really don't like it when people dont' at least take a look at a map before applying...:frown:

Phil
03-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I do some basic research ahead of the draw to determine where I want to put in and hope like hell I get it. Once it is in the bag I start planning more seriously. No response on the pole for that one.

jwe63
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I researech the area....not that it matters. Three years and no moosie card yet.

My wife calls it our "donation" to wildlife preservation. LOL

BiG Boar
03-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I think that it also depends on your hunting experience. I dont have much, havnt seen most of the province, but will put in for areas I have never been to in hopes of eventually getting drawn. I have a contact for each hunt I put in for and have talked about what the hunt consists of before applying. If I know I cant make the hunt I dont apply, but I apply for everything because if you do you will usually end up with at least one tag and then plan your years hunt around that.

dutchie
03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Well i voted number 1

I am going to be putting in for moose, doe ect... and the only places I will be hunting is with someone that knows an area even if I do not know it, or an Area that I know. or have had good reliable advice from a friend ect...

Last year i talked to a guy about were we shoud look at going for some deer. The guy told me to look in area 5-13 and i went into his store about 2 week later and he was telling 5 other people to go to the same place he told us to go... THE SAME CAMP SITE!!! and 2 other guys popped up we are going there too!! all in the same store at the same time... there must have been alot more.

i don't really trust the store owners that much anymore, they are just trying to sell you stuff

Bowtime
03-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I only put in for an area I intend on hunting. And have at least some knowledge about. If I'm not sure I can get time off or don't know anything about the area, I will leave that tag for someone who knows the area and intends on going out. I hope they do the same for me!!

newhunterette
03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I am sort of in between #1 and #2 - I apply for the areas I know and have been to many times with success and for new areas I have discovered to show good signs of success but I also apply in areas that Peter tells me to apply for however he has done the research.

I could and would not ever apply for a place I know I could never physically get myself in and out off.

3kills
03-09-2009, 12:14 PM
for the most part i apply for draws to areas i arleady know..if i want to start hunting a new area i ask people that i know that know that area then i put in for the draw and then go and hunt...last years moose draw we decided to try a new area and we went there for 5 days seen lots of moose 2 moose where missed and one bull was to far for a shot seen tons of cows and calfs also..learned the area quite well and are lookin forward to go back to the area for moose hopefully again will even go there for deer and the fishin in the area is suppose to be really good too.

Ron.C
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
My wife tells me I love obsessing about mt upcomming years hunting plans. So for me, yes I plan first before putting in LEH. For last years effort at a goat, my first, I had the help of a couple HBC'ers before I chose the MU to put in for. I then think I made the right move by calling a couple calls to the fish/wildlife guys and got more good info. Where I screwed up was not asking all the right questions. Like how high is that river is in September, and how much can it rise with a few days of good rain :roll:

Not asking that one kind of forced me into altering my plans once there.

mark
03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Most things I apply for are in areas where I have a pretty good idea of what to do. I dont have a problem with asking for help either, or offering it to anyone with a draw. Lots of people bash others for getting draws and asking for help. Open season areas, just go hunting and figure it out, but draws are different.
Grizz draws in far and away places, bison draws, Van Island elk draws, who would ever go prescout those areas when you may never get the draw????
For those that are in the know, regarding the area and species in question, why not help someone out, your hunting there anyway???? The favor may be returned someday!

Singleshotneeded
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
:) I apply in my local hunting areas that I know...one exception being bison...I'm not going up to Pink Mountain unless I get a draw...:-D

dana
03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I used to only apply for areas I knew, but then I could never draw, so now I just do what everyone else on HBC does, I tack the LEH synopsis on the wall and throw darts. Where it lands is where I apply. ;)