PDA

View Full Version : blacktail 2-8

rock
11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I've enjoyed the thread from ruger so much I decided to take my son out for his first blacktail, in a day trip we saw 4 bucks and 2 does. One was a 3 point and the one was a impressive 4 point. We basically walked up the hills in 8 to 20" of snow. Called in the 4 point within 25 feet of us, there was fresh scrapes, and buck sign all over the place. Can't wait for the weekend either can my son, now we know where to go I just hope the bucks will still be running around after the does. I never hunted blacktail that often, I have to admit they sure like steep terrain, and thicker cover. If anybody questions why we didn't shoot that 4 point, thats another storey.

Darren
11-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Well are you goona tell us that story? lol;-)

ruger#1
11-07-2005, 11:30 PM
thanks rock im heading out friday, taking the atv, going to go high up, that snow sure helps in bringing some deer down, i hope we get more, to bring the bigger ones down. remember to spot a blacktail from a distance, al you look for is a flicker of white.mark ps good luck rock and your son to.

Steeleco
11-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Yes enjoy your trip with your son, I'm taking my son out Friday also, he's a lot better than me at spoting animals, he's better be on form that day.!!!

MB_Boy
11-08-2005, 09:26 AM
One was a 3 point and the one was a impressive 4 point. We basically walked up the hills in 8 to 20" of snow. Called in the 4 point within 25 feet of us, .

Okay.....like Darren said.....you gotta give us the story! :-D How old is your son?

Enjoy the trip out with him this weekend!

rock
11-08-2005, 11:31 PM
We'll if you guys must know the idea of are last trip was for scouting a new area, my freezer is full so really we weren't out to shoot anything unless it was big. So I never really loaded my gun we basically walked in 4km when my my hip started to give me trouble so I decided to let my buddy and son walk in further while I sat and rested tell they came back. I was in about 10" of snow so I decided to make a half ass snow shelter in the middle of the road got comfortable and started to do doe bleats visibility was not that bad, I usaully create my own bleats with my vocals,
which has been working out pretty good for the last couple of years.
Anyways I started bleating but kept the bleats short but kept up with them in 5 min intervals then I would pause and listen, but there was so much snow falling down my hearing was a little impaired. I heard something coming through the bush and I new it was close next thing I know this 4 point steps out of a ditch 25 feet ahead of me looking the apposite way I was sitting, need less to say my heart started pounding, I had a long look at this guy snow covering his back with a tuff even on the top of his head. I couldn't believe what was happening, his horns inside spread had to be at least 16 or 18 inches and the mass was great, of course trying to decide do I or don't I he had to be in front of me looking around for at least a minute maybe less, next thing I do is load my rifle while he looking the other way needless to say he turned and pinned me and started his bounce down the road, I was concentrating on a spot in front of him to pull the trigger while he was bounding away, it just to bad when I figured I got this one I yanked on the trigger when he was at 50 yds away my safety was on he bounded over the rise to live another day,
I know most guys don't see this big of a blacktail all the time, and sure I was mad at myself, but its an experiance I"ll never forget my son also had a 3 point at 30 feet away from him but never got a shot of, but I bet this weekend is going to be a lot different.
MB BOY my son is fifteen , already has shot a muley, whitetail, moose, soon to be a blacktail

ruger#1
11-09-2005, 06:35 PM
rock that was a good one. always be on guard, doe bleats and rattling, works good most of the time as long as th buck is in rut, better luck next time.