PDA

View Full Version : Collapsible pack

sammy-j-peppers
03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
looking for a pack...

Bighorn hunter
03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
My old man bought me a Rhino Takedown Frame from boone and crokett.Seems preaty sturdy.Can't wait to give it a try.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I haven't used one myself but I know Steep'n'Deep and Calvin L have used them.
Both of those guys seem to be laying low these days.

SSS

Slee
05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I have seen one and dont think there that great, very cheap looking. I would rather pack a full size pack frame around then a port-a-pack. jmo

calvin L
05-28-2009, 07:21 AM
They are great . They are light & easy to use ,strong ass hell. I have had mine for over ten years I will not sell it . I would get another one . I know a number of people that have them . I have only ever heard of one shoulder strap eye let letting go butthe strap installed wrong (I know that person also )..
Any time I have used it it have been great . The only thing I did was paint it black . pm me for more info as I am friends with the Jay how makes them . I also beleeve he just signed up here as two stroke .

calvin L

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Here's link to the website.

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/products.html

Calvin-That's "2stroke"

SSS

calvin L
05-28-2009, 07:29 AM
I was not sure . thanks for correcting me again ;-)

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I was not sure . thanks for correcting me again ;-)

Sorry. Didn't mean to take over your wife's job:lol:.

Just trying to clarify things in case someone wanted to send him a PM:-P

SSS

BCrams
05-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Sorry. Didn't mean to take over your wife's job:lol:.

Hilarious!

troutseeker
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Just what I need to carry my porta-potty!

calvin L
05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
He must mean the sleeve in the side frame that the cross bar lock the frame togther . I will try to find out if it is his space or SSS space age .

SSS my wife doesn't correct me that nice .

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
SSS my wife doesn't correct me that nice .

Mine either:-(.

SSS

Kody94
05-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I was looking online and came across a collapsible pack called a Port-a-pack. Has anyone ever used one of these things?

A good friend of mine invented it and made it all out of aerospace grade aluminum. I have seen the originals and think its pretty fricken awesome. Too bad he's not getting royalties for it ;) ...snooze you lose when it comes to patents....and not like its made anyone millions anyway. :)

steepNdeep
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
I've got a Port-A-Pack from Secret Creek. Mine's packed out 2,000+ lbs of critters without a single problem. I always have it with me in my day pack - saves a long hump back to the truck for the first load...

They are Made in BC & BOMBER!! 8-)

Here's a couple pics:

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/portapack-e.jpg

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/portapack-m.jpg

Bighorn hunter
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
thanks for the link. but what does manufactured from "space-age" materials mean? as listed on the web site.....

The Rhino Takedown Frame pack looks a lot better . have you had a chance to use it yet Bighorn hunter?

I still haven't had a chance to try it out:frown: as Its first hunting season will be this years. The construction of it seems really solid, and can't spot anywhere where it might let a guy down.

cwocarsten
06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
my buddy and I each bought one at a RMEF convention in Reno years back. They were OK until we packed out 100 lb plus loads of elk meat and blew the frames. I have one still but heavily duck taped. I lone it to people too cheap to spend $ on a good pack frame like I have now. Its bulkier but you get used to it and can better manage a good load of meat in all terrain. Chhers.

Slee
06-12-2009, 07:52 AM
my buddy and I each bought one at a RMEF convention in Reno years back. They were OK until we packed out 100 lb plus loads of elk meat and blew the frames. I have one still but heavily duck taped. I lone it to people too cheap to spend $ on a good pack frame like I have now. Its bulkier but you get used to it and can better manage a good load of meat in all terrain. Chhers.

I agree, those collapible packs are junk. You cant beat a real pack frame.

steepNdeep
06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
my buddy and I each bought one at a RMEF convention in Reno years back. They were OK until we packed out 100 lb plus loads of elk meat and blew the frames. I lone it to people too cheap to spend $ on a good pack frame like I have now.

Who made them? I've got ~6 different packs and can afford anything out there. The Secret Creek Port-a-Pack was given to me and it does it's job well. With the head, cape & quarter that's probably close to 100 lbs in that pic. I still use it on occasion and loan mine out as well. It's NEVER failed.

budismyhorse
06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I own a couple, put them on the back of the horse and use them to take quarters down off the mountain.

It depends on the use you want. I know some that take them down and keep them in the back of the truck....there are others to have set them up and just use them with another pack bag on like any old pack frame....those guys are in love with the frame. You couldn't rip it out of their hands if you tried.

I find them extremely sturdy and light as heck. The guy makes them in his basement so don't expect frills.....they are pretty basic.