PDA

View Full Version : Wolves taking a moose down

doubled
03-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Here are some pics from an email I got. This is one of the reasons I support Proguide's efforts and all the rest of the trappers and wolf hunters.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/aJE1H0054.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/aJE1H0097.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/aJE1H0187.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/aJE1H0412.jpg

oddsix
03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
thats pretty damn cool thanks for sharing

doubled
03-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Proguide, which wolf do you think is the alpha?

yama49
03-07-2009, 10:04 AM
awesome pics

Slee
03-07-2009, 10:06 AM
very cool pics. I sat in on a very informative seminar in red deer last year on the sterilizing program they wanted to do. They started out with the studies of previouse wolf culls in BC and alaska and how wolf numbers went higher within two years of a cull. Pretty crazy how fast they can breed.

Does any one know if they went through with the sterilizing program?

plumbob
03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
great pics

ve7iuq
03-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Could someone explain these pictures, ie, how did a photographer get so close and change positions at least twice, while nearly on top of the wolves.

doubled
03-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Apparently the photographer was a bowhunter in a treestand.

moosinaround
03-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Wolves got to eat too! They been eating moose for quite some time now!! Moosin

doubled
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Yes, they do have to eat but thankfully there are people out there that can limit the amounts that a pack can eat in an area.

killemall
03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Awsome pics. Im just curious as to why you see the pics and support wolf trapping and hunting.

Ill start new thread to avoid hijacking

killman
03-07-2009, 10:50 AM
It's probably just a sick moose anyway.

doubled
03-07-2009, 10:58 AM
It looks like a bull in the last pic as there are two large knobs where the antlers probably fell off from.

ve7iuq
03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Come on you guys, can't anyone else see that there is something wrong with thest pictures?
In real life the distance from picture one to the final picture would be a considerable distace, like anywher from 100 yards to ¼ of a mile, for example. Mighty convenient to have bow hunters in several, at least three, different spots to get a picture.
Where the wolves are at the rear end of the moose, a wolf is pushing his nose against the rear end of the moose! I kind of think the wolf's mouth would have been opened wide! And on and on.

Gateholio
03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
These pictures are form about 2 years ago, IIRC. It was a bowhunter in a treestand, I think..Or maybe taken from an aircraft. Very interesting pictures. I've watched wolves take down deer and it was amazing to watch.

500grhollowpoint
03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Shadows are all wrong!

J/K I think it looks legit.

doubled
03-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Who cares if it is legit or not. They were cool pics to share regardless of the situation/circumstances. Go on a witch hunt some where else.

500grhollowpoint
03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Awsome pics. Im just curious as to why you see the pics and support wolf trapping and hunting.

Ill start new thread to avoid hijacking

Because we want to eat the moose.

ElkMasterC
03-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Come on you guys, can't anyone else see that there is something wrong with thest pictures?
In real life the distance from picture one to the final picture would be a considerable distace, like anywher from 100 yards to ¼ of a mile, for example. Mighty convenient to have bow hunters in several, at least three, different spots to get a picture.
Where the wolves are at the rear end of the moose, a wolf is pushing his nose against the rear end of the moose! I kind of think the wolf's mouth would have been opened wide! And on and on.

What are you saying, exactly?
And what's in your Avatar? Is that a tin of lip gloss? What the hell IS that thing? :D

Poor Moosie. It's just laying there in the last pic, ears down, knowing it's screwed.
"Well, I guess that's it for me!"

The pics (I'd bet someone's hard-earned money) were taken from an aircraft, as it's too high for a treestand, and probably too late in the year for one anyway, as it appears that the moose has already dropped his headgear.
It's just someone in a plane or chopper with a good lens.

Poor Bullwinkle. He could have been safe in my freezer.

ve7iuq
03-07-2009, 01:38 PM
And what's in your Avatar? Is that a tin of lip gloss? What the hell IS that thing? :grin:

ElkMater3, that is the dumbest statement I have ever heard from someone who thinks he knows something about guns!
Take another look. You are looking down the barrel of a Remington Rolling Block, in 43 Egyptian caliber! The red is to similate what it would look like if it were firing a blanc, for example.
Can't you even recognize a rifle sight when you see one?
The lug on the side is to lock on the bayonet.

308Lover
03-07-2009, 01:47 PM
How did we get from moose kill to lip gloss? Am I on a website for alternate lifestyles?
By the way--it's never pretty to see wolves on a kill--it's slow and must be very painful for the moose--first hamstringing, then having the wolves eat their way in from the rear while you're still alive. It's part of the cycle, but we don't have to like it.

roblikestohunt
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
regardless what everyone thinks, Thanks for Sharing Derek...Great pics...and yes i also agree with what the trappers and anyone else can do to control the population of the wolves...

MIL720
03-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd shoot all them snarlin *******s......cool pics

ElkMasterC
03-07-2009, 02:18 PM
ElkMater3, that is the dumbest statement I have ever heard from someone who thinks he knows something about guns!
Take another look. You are looking down the barrel of a Remington Rolling Block, in 43 Egyptian caliber! The red is to similate what it would look like if it were firing a blanc, for example.
Can't you even recognize a rifle sight when you see one?
The lug on the side is to lock on the bayonet.

Well it's a fine 'similation', there buddy!
Lookin' down the barrel firing a blank.
Allllrighty, then.

Lighten up.
Try boxers.

moosehunter21
03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Cool pics! I understand the wolfs gotta eat but I hate seeing ungulate populations suffer!!! I totaly support PG66's effort this trapping season!

ALPINE
03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Great pics. Thanks for posting!

Manglinmike
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Very cool pics indeed. I run into people all the time ,hunters included that dont think we should kill wolves,missinformed!! I say life is a balance, if we as harvesters go into the bush and take away elk moose and deer, then we have to go back and rebalance the scale,I prefer to rebalance 180grs at a time!!

Singleshotneeded
03-07-2009, 04:30 PM
:-) ManglinMike basically made my point, we have to count wildlife populations and harvest animals in appropriate numbers, to keep the balance healthy. If we happen to kill a few extra wolves, that's better than losing a few dozen extra ungulates in that area. I don't believe in
wiping them out, however, and never will be. Is it my imagination or does Killemall sound like a tree hugger anti trying not to be too obvious?:-)

ianwuzhere
03-07-2009, 06:43 PM
kewl pix- i saw a pack of 8 wolves lil while ago.largest ive seen. there were all different color ones- that pack looks to be mostly grey ones.

#1fishslayer
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Cool pics of bitter reality. Thanks for sharing.