PDA

View Full Version : Kiskatinaw River hunting?

DanC
03-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Anyone know if you can hunt around the Kiskatinaw River between dawsons creek and FSJ just off the highway?

Thanks,

Dan C

bigwhiteys
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Lots of private land around there... Good hunting though!

Carl

yukon john
03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
x2 lots of private land not a lot of permission handed out best bet is to keep bugging the hudderites they have 2 colonies up there and a ton of prime hunting land start asking now and maybe by hunting season they will let you. If you wait till the fall they get fed up with everyone and their dog wanting to hunt on their place

bigwhiteys
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
best bet is to keep bugging the hudderites they have 2 colonies up there and a ton of prime hunting land start asking now and maybe by hunting season they will let you.

Give a case of beer to the first hudderite you see, and tell him to hop in... Let him drink the beer and accompany you on the hunt... Not only do you have permission but you've also got an accomplice!

I get a kick out of the hudderites... Great people!

Carl

tuffteddyb
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
case of beer? you never seen those boys drink?
i seen 6 of pass a 26 around once and it was 1/2 gone!
they own a LOT of the land along the kiskatinaw.used to be great hunting not sure about it now.this was 15 or so years ago when i didnt hunt.
if you know some of the guys or the head guy they might let you hunt.they get bugged a lot.and get a lot of tressdpassers too.
used to live about 10 miles from them,and i agree they awesome people.

srupp
03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
just stayed there LITERALLY on our LEH elk hunt....lol all private property

Steven

gbear
03-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Anyone know if you can hunt around the Kiskatinaw River between dawsons creek and FSJ just off the highway?

Thanks,

Dan C

If you are meaning right off the Alaska Highway, there is a pocket of Crown land on either side of the highway. Holds a bunch of deer - both mulie and whitetail. There is a woodlot their, but it is crown. I know a guy that has pulled a couple whitetails out of there, and know of a different guy getting mule deer.

As others have mentioned, there is a lot more private land then anything else, so best bet is to get your hands on a private land map so you know where you can be.

I also know there is a large pocket of Crown land north of the Kiskatinaw and a bit east of the Alaska Highway. I know of some deer in that area. Also some moose. Again, best to have the private land map handy so you know what is crown.

PGK
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM
The hutterites a pretty perceptive bunch of people, go to them friendly and respectful and they'll bend over backwards to help you, usually.

boxhitch
03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
case of beer? you never seen those boys drink?
i seen 6 of pass a 26 around once and it was 1/2 gone!
:eek:Really ??!!..........only half ? Whimps

boxhitch
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
DanC, a buddy up that way floats the river on occasion, good public access.

BCrams
03-10-2009, 02:54 PM
hummmed and hawwwed over a nice muley buck one year above the Kisk. Crown Land and mid day - on the long weekend and not a single hunter around. I assumed they were still sitting on fields or in town waiting for the evening hunt to cruise fields.

Wolfman
03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
When I lived up there I was told there was a lot of old DDT and other stuff floating around in that 'ol river. Be careful you don't fall in ;-)

Mike

whitetailsheds
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
When I lived up there I was told there was a lot of old DDT and other stuff floating around in that 'ol river. Be careful you don't fall in ;-)

Mike

She's narsty, Mike. DDT, PCB, PVC, dead cows and pigs, the odd human, and, oh ya, some Hell's Angel's garbage floatin' downstream to the Peace.

Wolfman
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
She's narsty, Mike. DDT, PCB, PVC, dead cows and pigs, the odd human, and, oh ya, some Hell's Angel's garbage floatin' downstream to the Peace.

Its pretty sad to see some of the stuff floating in there. Once I saw a few rusty looking barrels and a couple of green plastic garbage bags full of...*something* just floating down under the highway bridge.

Buddy of mine told me that quite a few ranchers just let their stock run through it upstream as well.

This Kiskatinaw always struck me as a spirited river though. Maybe she'll get cleaned up one of these days.

Mike

whitetailsheds
03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
The hunting is just as nasty. Deer, elk, gone. Nothing out there any more. Just like a desert. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif