PDA

View Full Version : Hangin deer, how long?

Rob
11-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Anyone have any limits to how long they like their deer to hang in the cutters cooler? mine was their for 24 days before It came home, the guy said he was busy. At first i started askin around about how long is too long and heard some different opinions, some said mold would kick in, some said it would be tender but dried out.The buck I shot was probably 210lbs(live weight), 2 point with a 25" spread with lots of stickers, so im thinkin an older buck. I shot him on Thanksgiving Mon. and he was just a little bit stinky, but had a big neck on him, and he was also with a smaller buck. I got the deer back today had some sauseges and some chops and the were A1, my 2 yr old daughter and my wife loved it, and so did i. Just thought I would throw this out there.Rob

Steeleco
11-07-2005, 03:03 AM
I've always been told it's to do with the moisture content, but a friend of mine cuts his own within 48 hours. And his taste's just fine too.

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 07:08 AM
dewey- There are several factors which will determine how long a deer can hang in the cooler (age).
1. How fast has the deer being recovered after the shot.
2. Where has the deer been shot, far from camp or close by.
3. How long did it take to get the deer to a cooler. Hours or days.
4. The deperature at the time the deer has been hunted was the weater warm, cool or cold.
5. Shot placement, good shot or bad shot.
6. Cleanliness, was the deer clean or full of debries, feces, blood ect.
7. Animals condition, old, young, fat, skinny, healthy or ill. Has it been field dressed quickly and clean or has it taken longer and intestine or stomach cut accidetally.
8. Has the animal been skinned and quartered in the field or left whole.

All these point have to be concidered to tetermin how long an animal can hang to age.

If the animal is healthy has been recovered fast and taken to a cooler with the skin on and is clean a aging process between 15 to 24 days is okay.

Is the animal skinny or has taken a long time to recover and field dress, is skinned and/ or quartered it should not be aged more than between 5 to 10 days.

Has the animal been shot in warm weather and taken a day or more to take to the cooler then it should be processed within 48 hours.

As hunters there is a few things we can do to ensure meat quality.
1. Only take good killing shots. Preferably in the lung because in that area is the least meat spoilage and it is a high percentage kill shot with quick recovery.

2. Field dress the animal right away after recovery and take pictures after.

3. After field dressing cool the carcass down as fast as possible and clean it. I use plenty of water, if possible I will tie a rope around the animal and thow it in a body of water. In the winter I fill the animals cavity with snow. It is nothing more than an old wifes tale that venison never should come in contact with water. Use plenty water to clean and cool your deer and thus preserve the meat quality.

4. Take the animal asap to the next cooler or home.

If you want to learn more about aging hand save handling of meat please visit my website where I explain more fully about this subject.

Thunderstix
11-07-2005, 07:15 AM
I have always ignord that old wives tale about water much to the shock of some people.
When it comes to blacktails around here, I leave them whole with the skin on for 4 days and then skin and butcher. Leaving the skin on in no way has ever changed the taste of the meat because I have done it both ways. The skin on those deer is so thin and the meat mass is just not there like on a moose or bigger type deer, that cooling down is not an issue.....but I am only talking the smaller deer around here.

BTW, really good info Huntwriter!

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 07:28 AM
I have always ignord that old wives tale about water much to the shock of some people.
When it comes to blacktails around here, I leave them whole with the skin on for 4 days and then skin and butcher. Leaving the skin on in no way has ever changed the taste of the meat because I have done it both ways. The skin on those deer is so thin and the meat mass is just not there like on a moose or bigger type deer, that cooling down is not an issue.....but I am only talking the smaller deer around here.

BTW, really good info Huntwriter!

Thank you Thunderstix, as a professional butcher I try my best to give good info. You are right size of the animal plays a part to. The skin is preferred in the aging because it prevents the meat from drying out. But if there is no access to a cooler then it is best to skin the animal asap.

Last week I prcessed a nice 4 x 5 mulie for my friend. Because it was mild we had to do it the next day. Now I am in the process of making a European skull mount him, just a hobby of mien.

Thunderstix
11-07-2005, 07:31 AM
You are right about temp for sure! A cooler is the answer. It si pretty dang chilly outside here right now though...not as chilly as in Darren's pictures though:D

Leaseman
11-07-2005, 08:51 AM
I have been told over the years (20 plus) that deer are different than moose and elk etc. in that they have a different enzimes (sp?) in there make up and it doesn't matter if you butcher it on the same day that you shoot it or if you hang it for a week....I have tried it both ways depending on the hunting trip length and have found NO diferance....

My .02 worth

Mike

Thunderstix
11-07-2005, 09:16 AM
I would have to agree with you, but I am lazy after hunting and don't feel like cutting up deer for a few days....not too lazy to hunting again though.

MB_Boy
11-07-2005, 10:58 AM
3. After field dressing cool the carcass down as fast as possible and clean it. I use plenty of water, if possible I will tie a rope around the animal and thow it in a body of water. In the winter I fill the animals cavity with snow. It is nothing more than an old wifes tale that venison never should come in contact with water. Use plenty water to clean and cool your deer and thus preserve the meat quality.

4. Take the animal asap to the next cooler or home.

Old wives tale?? I think it depends where your animal is going to be hanging? I respect the fact that you are a butcher, but if you are in the bush with no cooler facilities then you want to take any and all precautions to protect your meat. I have heard from more than a few people including 2 biologists that you don't want to soak meat that is going to be hanging on a meat pole for sometime particularily if the temp is warm enough that there are still flies around. Water getting caught in various tissue pockets can provide a perfect medium for flies etc to lay eggs etc etc. Don't know the exact science behind it, but I should as my Dad is one of the biologists, but you catch my drift. If I was getting my meat directly to a cooler or hunting game in sub-zero temps I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

With MB deer generally it is close to if not quite well below zero and we will gut them...get them cooling and hang them for ususally at least 14 days with the hides on generally. I don't claim to be a pro......but just thought I would add in.

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 11:13 AM
I have been told over the years (20 plus) that deer are different than moose and elk etc. in that they have a different enzimes (sp?) in there make up and it doesn't matter if you butcher it on the same day that you shoot it or if you hang it for a week....I have tried it both ways depending on the hunting trip length and have found NO diferance....

My .02 worth

Mike

It is not the enzimes that make the meat rot it is pacteria. If you have no acces to a cooler within 24 hours it is best to skin and quarter the animal to aid in cooling it of. The cooler you can get it the longer it will take to rot.

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Old wives tale?? I think it depends where your animal is going to be hanging? I respect the fact that you are a butcher, but if you are in the bush with no cooler facilities then you want to take any and all precautions to protect your meat. I have heard from more than a few people including 2 biologists that you don't want to soak meat that is going to be hanging on a meat pole for sometime particularily if the temp is warm enough that there are still flies around. Water getting caught in various tissue pockets can provide a perfect medium for flies etc to lay eggs etc etc. Don't know the exact science behind it, but I should as my Dad is one of the biologists, but you catch my drift. If I was getting my meat directly to a cooler or hunting game in sub-zero temps I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

With MB deer generally it is close to if not quite well below zero and we will guy them...get them cooling and hang them for ususally at least 14 days with the hides on generally. I don't claim to be a pro......but just thought I would add in.

Besides being a trained Master Butcher I am also a trained animal behaviourist and have studied biology and vet.med. as part of my animal behaviour training.

Your father is right in that you should not soak meat. What I was talking about is cooling the carcass quickly off with water by submerging it for up to about 15 to 20 minutes in cold water such as a lake, river or creek. Especially in warm weather then you hang the carcass up to trip out. Believe me it will completly dry out within minutes.

As for the flies, they will be attracted to any dead carcass and will find any nuck and cranny a perfect environment to put their eggs down regardless of you putting the carcass into the water or not. This is one reason why I always carry a good length of chees cloth with me where I wrap the animal into. Then there is also a spray available which can be sprayed over the carcass to seal it and prevent flie attaks. But I never used it and neither do I belive in chemicals on meat or any other food I eat.

Of course if you have access to a cooler or hunt in the winter with zero and sub zero deperatures then all of the above is not needed, since it is cold enough to let the carcass hang for days on end. The problem then becomes on of the carcass actually freezing and you have to warm it up to process;). I was more referring to temps. we had a week ago.

MB_Boy
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I see we are pretty much on the same page here.

I am just going on what was taught to me by my Dad who is the Chief Scientific Biologist for the Province of MB and one of the foremost experts on moose biology and behaviour in the world (believe me...not bragging...just stating my source). I realize that flies will get in regardless but to my understanding the water adds an extra medium.

We don't use cheesecloth, but rather large sacks that are made of t-shirt material, and it works great as they wash up well and can be re-used. We purchased the material from some clothing manufacturer years back, but they work absolutely outstanding.

Thanks though for posting on this as I always find the treatment of your game of utmost importance. Everyone has their own "tricks" that they stick to, and although you may be correct I won't be dunking my quarters in any creeks to cool them down.

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I see we are pretty much on the same page here.

I am just going on what was taught to me by my Dad who is the Chief Scientific Biologist for the Province of MB and one of the foremost experts on moose biology and behaviour in the world (believe me...not bragging...just stating my source). I realize that flies will get in regardless but to my understanding the water adds an extra medium.

We don't use cheesecloth, but rather large sacks that are made of t-shirt material, and it works great as they was up well and can be re-used. We purchased the material from some clothing manufacturer years back, but they work absolutely outstanding.

Thanks though for posting on this as I always find the treatment of your game of utmost importance.

Oh, I would love to meet your father and talk "shop" with him. I have worked in my animal behavourist profession for 30+ years and traveld the world where I reseived many honours. My speciallity are tigers. It was this profession which has given me the edge on hunting and figuring out what makes deer "tick" and why.

T-Shirt material works great too, as a butcher I have limitless suplies of cheese cloth. The water would add to the medium if the carcass would lay around rather than hanging.

But you know what I like very much here that people can dicuss matters and each one can have an opinion and still be nice and friendly. To me that is what a forum is all about and we all can learn from each others opinions and experiences. I am a firm believer that their is never just one way to achieve a desired goal. In this regard I thank you and all the other fellow members here on the forum for their time and contribution of sharing information.

MB_Boy
11-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh, I would love to meet your father and talk "shop" with him.

But you know what I like very much here that people can dicuss matters and each one can have an opinion and still be nice and friendly. To me that is what a forum is all about and we all can learn from each others opinions and experiences. I am a firm believer that their is never just one way to achieve a desired goal. In this regard I thank you and all the other fellow members here on the forum for their time and contribution of sharing information.

Well if you happen to ever see some rather tall guy on TV talking about moose or walking around with a moosehead strapped to his chest during the rut.....you have at least seen him. He is done a number of National Geographic shows, as well as productions for the BBC, Karvonen Films, Champions of the Wild and a one hour special on him called "The Man Who Would be Moose"....is aired sometimes on discovery, or animal planet.

As to your last paragraph.......cheers to that!!! Couldn't have said it better or agree with you more!! :-D :cool:

oldtimer
11-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I have been hunting for 40+ years and have always treated my game the same way.
after gutting and skinning wash meticulously with water and vinegar and take to a cooler. I used to use an old time butcher who would try a piece of my deer himself to find out when to butcher. Now Swamper does all my meat cutting and me and Willy will do the wrapping. My feelings are about 4 days for a deer and maybe a little longer for moose but the way Swamper butchers all the meat is excellent. Mike

Elkhound
11-07-2005, 01:21 PM
If it is cool enough, I hang it. Sometimes I don't have the time. The deer I posted last week was butchered the same day by my myself and the wife. It was the only time I had to do it. I have already had some, not chewy, nice and tender. Hung for an hour at most.

A buddy of mine used to manage deer herds on estates in England. He had to shoot a minimum 450-500 deer a year. For 15 yrs. Do the math. I consider him an expert. Butchers his own meat as well. He seems to find no difference in length of hanging or butchering right away, if the animal was not stressed and full of adrenalin. If he does hang it, it is only till he gets to it. Always hangs it with hide on, no exception. He also refuses to use vinegar, only water for him. Always asks me "why would you put a form of acid on such a tasty piece of meat?" Wether his methods are right or wrong, who knows, but it has served him well all these yrs. Like I said, he has taken more than 6000 deer in his life. Thats a large survey. I am trying his methods out. That much experience deserves my attention. So far in 5 yrs, no problems and always good meat. I am sure other methods will work as well. There is more than one way to skin a .......deer.

MB_Boy
11-07-2005, 01:33 PM
after gutting and skinning wash meticulously with water and vinegar and take to a cooler.

Hi Mike,

I have seen numerous posts about the vinegar/water routine. Is there a purpose behind the vinegar.....what is the benefit....or what/how exactly does it help?

Thanks!

Scott

brotherjack
11-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I have only ever put one critter in the freezer the same day I shot it. I will NEVER do that again - rigor mortis makes meat tough as nails, and anytime I eat meat from that animal I have to leave it in the fridge for 2 days before I can get a tooth through it.

As far as I'm concerned, meat needs to hang and/or age in a cool/cold environment for 48 to 72 hours to let the rigor mortis let go. After that, I don't see a lot of difference. As long as it's cold enough to keep the bacteria from growing, a longer hang isn't going to hurt anything I don't think, but I don't expect it would do any significant good either.

I think I read somewhere that the vinegar/water routine does something good for the PH of the surface of the meat, but I dunno for sure. In practical terms, I've seen two hindquarters from the same animal (an elk), one wiped down with vinegar/water, and one not. The one not wiped down was black and getting crunchy on the outside after 7 days, and the one wiped down with vinegar/water was purty red and just lightly glazed with a clear skin at the end of the same period of time.

Elkhound
11-07-2005, 03:28 PM
I've seen two hindquarters from the same animal (an elk), one wiped down with vinegar/water, and one not. The one not wiped down was black and getting crunchy on the outside after 7 days, and the one wiped down with vinegar/water was purty red and just lightly glazed with a clear skin at the end of the same period of time.

Brotherjack
So one was wiped down with vinegar and water, the other just water or not wiped at all?

Ronforca
11-07-2005, 03:55 PM
I agree with Brother jack about the vinegar doing the meat good.I also hang mine with the hide on and if it is warm enough for Blow flies I coat the meat
with a good layet of black Pepper.Does not seem to harm the meat in the least.
Works for me.

brotherjack
11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Brotherjack
So one was wiped down with vinegar and water, the other just water or not wiped at all?

The other one was not wiped down at all as I recall. One was my hindquarter, one was another fellow's - we were each taking care of our own meat, but they were hanging together in my shed. I wiped mine down, and had MUCH better results than he did.

Elkhound
11-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Okay thanks. Thats what I wanted to know. I always wipe down the meat. I always "used" vinegar and water. The last few animals I just used water. I haven't noticed any difference. Has anybody noticed a difference here between just water or vinegar/water mix?

NEEHAMA
11-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I like to hang my deer with the guts in until the head rots off then i pick it up and eat it. it's part of my european heitage. :wink: but my ducks i skin right away i woudn't want them to taste gamey!!

Thunderstix
11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I like to hang my deer with the guts in until the head rots off then i pick it up and eat it. it's part of my european heitage. :wink: but my ducks i skin right away i woudn't want them to taste gamey!!

I knew there was a reason I have always liked you!

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 06:46 PM
A buddy of mine used to manage deer herds on estates in England. He had to shoot a minimum 450-500 deer a year. For 15 yrs. Do the math. I consider him an expert. Butchers his own meat as well. He seems to find no difference in length of hanging or butchering right away, if the animal was not stressed and full of adrenalin. If he does hang it, it is only till he gets to it. Always hangs it with hide on, no exception. He also refuses to use vinegar, only water for him. Always asks me "why would you put a form of acid on such a tasty piece of meat?" Wether his methods are right or wrong, who knows, but it has served him well all these yrs. Like I said, he has taken more than 6000 deer in his life. Thats a large survey. I am trying his methods out. That much experience deserves my attention. So far in 5 yrs, no problems and always good meat. I am sure other methods will work as well. There is more than one way to skin a .......deer.

Just as a side note: Deer in Europe are very different from deer over here. The same applies here. The meat quality can vastly differ from region to region. The outcome of the meat quality is directly related to three major factors.

Food: What the deer eats will have a huge influense on the meat quality. For example when I lived in the USA, Illinois deer had a much better meat quality than deer, lets say, from Florida. The reason? Illinois deer have access to choice farm crops such as corn and soy beans the woodland food sources consist of white acorns, persimmon plus a vast variety of highly nutritious plants such as honeysuckle. Whereas in Florida it's grass and red oak. This is the reason why farmed deer, such as in the case of your friend in England, the meat is of a higher quality. They have access to plentyful choice food.

Age: Obviouslymeat of younger animals tastes much better and is more tender than that of a big old mossy horns. He looks better on the wall but tastes very bad.

Kill: How fast the animal expires after the shot and where the shot is placed will also affect meat quality. If the animal received a bad shot it will release adrenalin which makes the meat though and gives off a bad taste.

To hang a deer with the hide on is a good idea because it prevents dry out of the meat.

Vinegar is used as an antiseptic and tenderizer but has more to do with folklore than with practical sience. But if it does not hurt and gives somebody confidence there is nothing wrong with doing it.

As I stated earlier there really is no "right" or "wrong" as long you or anyone ends up with what he expects then it is "right". An old but very true saying is; "There is more than one way to skin a cat" .;-)

Elkhound
11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
There is more than one way to skin a .......deer.

My quote from page two:mrgreen:

oldtimer
11-07-2005, 07:02 PM
MB Boy. Not 100% sure about the vinegar but it definitely helps to clean the animal ( must be the acid in it ) I was taught it by an old time trapper and just took him at his word. I have done animals with just water and when they went to butcher the meat appeared a lot tougher, not as pink. I agree with most of the posters here , whatever works for you. Huntwriter is bang on with what the animal eats and how it was killed affecting the quality. Mike

Shoey
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Hang a deer? Why not just shoot the thing, it's way less work.*

*Bad Joke

bushape
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Lmao shoey , G1

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Hang a deer? Why not just shoot the thing, it's way less work.*

*Bad Joke

Actually not I find it hilarious :lol::lol::lol:. But then again I am told that I have a funny sense of humour.

Sikanni Stalker
11-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I use the vinegar method as well, not sure why other than I find when I am getting ready to bag it a good wash with vinegar keeps the flies away long enough to get the bags on. It is somthing the oldtimer swore by it and i have done it religeously since then. I also have never noticed any bad tastes from doing this.

Hi Mike,

I have seen numerous posts about the vinegar/water routine. Is there a purpose behind the vinegar.....what is the benefit....or what/how exactly does it help?

Thanks!

Scott

huntwriter
11-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Vinegar is used as an antiseptic and tenderizer but has more to do with folklore than with practical sience. But if it does not hurt and gives somebody confidence there is nothing wrong with doing it.

As I stated earlier there really is no "right" or "wrong" as long you or anyone ends up with what he expects then it is "right". An old but very true saying is; "There is more than one way to skin a cat" .;-)

bcbowman- here is what I wrote about vinegar in an earlier post.

Sikanni Stalker
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
fair enough, like I mentioned it was an oldtimer who showeed me and I have done it since. I would probably feel like I was was wrecking somthingif I didn't do it now........I know that stuff pretty much evaporates anyways and what doesn't absorbs into the cloth too. For me it's part of the ritual too! I HAVE TO!!!!!!
:oops: