PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear 2009

newhunterette
03-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Seeing I have had so many first in the past few months such as taking my first big game (moose), my first adventure alone in the wilderness, deep sea fishing in Mexico catching my first red snapper, I have decided to try for my first spring bear.

I do not need to know anyone's hunting grounds/location as I already have mine picked out, what I would like to know is some ideas of for scouting/tracking the woods for signs, some tecniques you may use.

I appreciate any suggestions from you bear experts.

thanks in advance
Ali

Bow Walker
03-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Ali, do a search for previous threads regarding bear hunting and you will get more info than you really need. Generally speaking - South-facing slopes after the sun is well and truly up, newly grassed side roads and ditches, fresh 'scat', and a good set of binoculars (such as Vortex). That's an unashamed plug, btw.

Mr. Dean
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Drive around 'til you see one.

- Watch it for a while.
- Then watch it some more.
- Ensure that it has no cubs.
- Shoot it.

Bear Hunting is pretty basic if all you want is 'a' bear. It just takes patience to hold off on the shooting and observe for cubs - If in doubt, let it walk.

Working hill-hill is grand, if/when possible. You can sit back and glass a bear for a long, long time as it feeds down the ditches.

This pic I took from a good klick (+) away, while sitting on the opposite hill/mountain.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0003-2.jpg

We could watch it from different vantage points for hours, as he fed. He would also use the same road for feeding, day in and day out, for the week that we we're there.

Mr. Dean
03-05-2009, 11:36 AM
A better view of what I strive to find as an observation post.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0002-1a.jpg

As you can see, this is just a broader view of my previous pic. It's still only a snippet of the complete area though and was taken not 1 minute before the bear showed up. I'll also add that I hiked each hillside in its entirety and learned where the 'prime' zones were.

The previous pic is focused in on the lower left landing of this pic.

newhunterette
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Dean - amazing shots and I am soaking it all in so I know what to look at an gaze at in such areas

I know you are a wealth of knowledge for bear hunting and even though Peter has bear hunted, I still like going in with a tad of knowledge to impress him that I have done a little homework :)

Bow Walker - I am reading other threads as well, as for the Vortex well I may have to wait on that for now as I get the hand me downs of Peter's, maybe if I get this big bruin under my belt he will splurge on an upgrade for me

Mr. Dean
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Clover = Bear Candy. :wink:

FWIW, I'm standing on the exact spot where the mount in my avitar fell, 14 months earlier. The bear we're observing now, was there, then, too.... We were just checking in on how he was doin'. :razz:

jessbennett
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
clover, alfalfa, and dandelions are a smorg for a bear.

weatherby_man
03-05-2009, 01:48 PM
If you're interested in any "book" knowledge I just read (second time) Black Bear Hunting by Richard P Smith. Great book, tons of info, and some cool pics as well. I think my wife got it off amazon for about 20$ Nice hardback, almost 400 pages.

srupp
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
well to go BARE hunting first you take off all your clothes..then...hold it hold it OH....YOU MEANT bear HUNTING...hmmmmm giggle

steven

sfire436
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
they also love skunk cabbage and rose hips

moosinaround
03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
well to go BARE hunting first you take off all your clothes..then...hold it hold it OH....YOU MEANT bear HUNTING...hmmmmm giggle

steven
Tsk TSk Tsk!! Trying to get Newhunterette in trouble again!! Boy you guys!!:wink: Moosin

newhunterette
03-05-2009, 02:54 PM

steven

Steve I dont want to scare the bears I want to hunt the bears sheesh

they also love skunk cabbage and rose hips

skunk cabbage - well I am going with Peter - close enough or would that be considered baiting the bears

newhunterette
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Tsk TSk Tsk!! Trying to get Newhunterette in trouble again!! Boy you guys!!:wink: Moosin

I know Moosin, whats up with that - I have been so innocent and good of late :)

I ask for advice and look what happens

bsa30-06
03-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Find the green, you'll find the bears.Most palces i have found that are green, are also covered in bear scat, you wont have to look very long and you'll find your bear.Oh and stay away from big hills unless Elkhound is around to retrieve it for you,i here he has gotten good at over the edge of cliffs to retrieve bears.

jessbennett
03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
some like bells and pepper too.

ultramagbob
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM

steven

For fuq sakes man..The thought of that just made me sterile

rishu_pepper
03-05-2009, 06:37 PM
My limited advice: the faster you get out of the truck, the better :lol: (half serious)

jessbennett
03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
and if your driving down the road and see a bear, and it runs in the bush, just drive up the road a km or so. if theres green on the road, theres a hell of a good chance he will be back out feeding in a few minutes. walk back, see bear, shoot bear. :biggrin:

tuffteddyb
03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
south slopes with water close and fresh green stuff works here in the interior.

bigben
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
look for those luscious green areas ..........look for tracks .........look for scants if you find many of them a road with breakfast lunch and supper just keep an eye the area there will be a bear there ..............early morning ..............late evenings look for shady areas especially if it is hot ............snow on ground always look for tracks ......... good luck

oldtimer
03-06-2009, 08:15 AM
All good advice Ali. Myself I stick to sunny slopes with clover and like Jess said , they will come back out to the road if not chased. Wide areas of roads usually first thing in the year before the hills green up. Mike