PDA

View Full Version : 2-18 (east harrison)

bsa30-06
11-06-2005, 08:58 PM
spent the day out around the east side of harrison 2-18 saw lots of deer tracks some fresh droppings but not what left it there. Weather was good rained and hailed for about half an hour other than that it was good.Theres a little snow on the peaks but not alot.My gps tells me that i was at an elevation approx 1700ft.
I have spent alot of time in this area dont now what you have to do to actually find a buck in this area but i figure if i keep going here sooner or later i'm bound to run into one even if its by chance.Anybody else been hunting this area if so i hope you have had better luck than i have.Oh yeah ruger#1 , steeleco if you happen to read this i'm coming to your mountain next week i'll be the guy in the blue dodge that looks lost.(hey its your fault you kept talking about it now i've got to try it).If anybody has been in the harrison area let me now how your luck has been.Good luck everybody!

ruger#1
11-06-2005, 09:08 PM
hey bsa hunt the alders along silver creek, lots of deer have been taken out of there, i had fun today i had some little turd pass me on an atv and shot rocks at my truck, didnt hit me, but i would like a little respect when i let them go by. ill be driveing a f250 4x4 with a north of 60 licences plate.

bsa30-06
11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
hey ruger if i see you i'll be sure to stop and say hi.I might have my daughter with me she says she wants to go but shes only 7 so she might change her mind.Next time i'm out at harrison I'm going to bypass my usual spots and go directly to that big silver creek area.
I now what you mean about those guys on the atv's i didnt think i would have to put up with those guys today but they were out being there usual pain in the ass.

Steeleco
11-07-2005, 12:06 AM
BSE I'll be in my Jeep next friday. I've spent LOTS of time in the east Harrison area, taken a few bears and my buddy got a nice 3 x3 a few years back. There's a distinct animal size differance between the lower and higher altitudes. Theres a few very nice spots at the bottom of the lake but I fear the road is impassable by now. If you have the right truck go inland from the bear creek rec site. {east} theres an area to the north that is to be logged if not already, look for ponds. nuff said I'm shuttin up now!!!!

bsa30-06
11-07-2005, 05:07 PM
hey steeleco are you refering to the first right hand turn just pass the rec site or should i cont. on further down the road , so far i have only made it as far as cogburn creek but i have been up and down every road along the way some of them you can no longer get a vehicle up and some you would even have a hard time with a quad.Thanxs for the info.

Ronforca
11-07-2005, 06:44 PM
The island near 20 mile bay up the west side of Harrison used to have lots of Deer.It is very thick .We used the canoe to get out to the island.

Steeleco
11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
BSA if you turn just a few 100 yards past the rec site, just follow the road as far as you can. there are a few branches but you'll need to explore.

Ron that island is called long island, the last time I was close it was being logged fairly heavily, one guy I know tried to hunt it but they're like Texada deer and like you said it thick in there.

bsa30-06
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
i know the road your refering to i've been up there.Was there a gate on that road near the top the last time you were there. That road has a gate on it up near the top somebody didn't like that they have been using it for target practice.I'm glad you reminded me of that area thanxs.

Steeleco
11-07-2005, 07:50 PM
There's two roads in there, the gate on the road to the north was where Chappy got his buck a few years back. We'd been humping around in the snow at the higher alt's, when we'd had enough and felt like a road trip we found him standing on the road. Go figure. Your welcome, goodluck

bsa30-06
11-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Another unsucessful day in 2-18. Weather was good for about 2 hours this morning then the fog rolled in real thick and had to call it a day.

Steeleco
11-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Don't give up because it's foggy, A friend of mine has taken quite a few animals , he calls "bump" hunting. But it does help to know the area well. And I can tell you that's not that easy.

bsa30-06
11-13-2005, 04:46 PM
i think i've spent all the time i'm going to this year hunting that area, maybe look for a new area.

Barracuda
11-13-2005, 05:03 PM
that area is a tough gig seeing as there are not to many day hunt area near vancouver .

bsa30-06
11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
i've spent a total of 11 days (11 day hunts) hunting this area and have only seen 2 does, but have been told that there are bucks in there and i did see a big mulie come out of there last year.I just have to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

Steeleco
11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
that area is a tough gig seeing as there are not to many day hunt area near vancouver .

Actually there's quit a few area's but they're all the same. Verticle. Wait till next weekend, the area will be crawling with hunters that still have a need, as most of the province starts to close for the season.

Steeleco
11-13-2005, 05:15 PM
i've spent a total of 11 days (11 day hunts) hunting this area and have only seen 2 does, but have been told that there are bucks in there and i did see a big mulie come out of there last year.I just have to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

Your not really doing anything wrong, it's all about timing. You can be in the right place 3 times then one time see three animals. Hunting Blacktails can be very trying on the patience. I've put thousands of Km's on both the east and west roads of Harrison, in at least ten years of trying, with not lots of results, but lots of good memories.

bsa30-06
11-13-2005, 08:29 PM
if anybody plans on hunting this area i thought i might mention that there were logging trucks using this road on friday so use caution.

rollingrock
11-13-2005, 08:42 PM
bsa, the logging trucks are running like nuts on those roads, I've seen that enough times. 2-18 is really a good area, like what David said, give yourself a little more patience. dont give up.

bsa30-06
11-20-2005, 08:32 PM
well i went out and tried this area again today, weather was good i drove in on the bear creek road further than i have been approx. 45km..The only thing i saw were a couple of mulie does, but i did find a couple of new areas that i wouldn't mind trying again.The snow that was up on top is almost all gone would be nice to get some more up there as this area is all up hill you would have to be part mountain goat to get into some areas.

rollingrock
11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
well i went out and tried this area again today, weather was good i drove in on the bear creek road further than i have been approx. 45km..The only thing i saw were a couple of mulie does, but i did find a couple of new areas that i wouldn't mind trying again.The snow that was up on top is almost all gone would be nice to get some more up there as this area is all up hill you would have to be part mountain goat to get into some areas.

:-D I went to the west side today. Same as your side, snow on top is almost gone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/rockrolling/PB200048.jpg

Steeleco
11-21-2005, 12:14 AM
A friend of mine "BroncoMarco" tagged a nice 4x3 up the west side of harrison today, I'll try and get him to post a picture. The 6" of snow that was there Nov 11 is all gone in his pics. Bummer

bsa30-06
11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Are you trying to make me jealous , cause if you were it worked.Yeah there isn't any snow left out there even if you get up top there still isn't much. Glad to hear everybody but me are shooting deer it gives me a bit of hope that i still might stumble across one . Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Steeleco
11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
No one was more Jealous that I. We talked on the phone Friday night and I helped him decide to go!!! I won't do that again.

He tells me it took 3 hours to get it out of the bush. Glad I was working!!!

bsa30-06
09-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Well it's that time of the year again.I'll be spending the next couple weeks hunting the east side of harrison lake, most likely on sundays (seems to be the only day i can find somebody to watch the little guy.)looking for those elusive blacktail deer.I've got a feeling this will finally be my year to take a blacktail, after 4 years of no sucess.Good luck to everyone hunting this area, maybe i'll see you out there.

bsa30-06
09-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Well i drove out there this afternoon and spent the evening looking around but saw the usual , not a damn thing.Actually thats not true for the first time in 5 years i ran into a conservation officer out there he took a quick look at my hunting license wished me luck and was on his way.

Steeleco
09-11-2006, 07:38 AM
IT's not the easiest place to find animals but they are there. You need to get high in the hills. I've not been out that way in 3 years. The spot I used to go to maybe out of reach:frown:

rollingrock
09-11-2006, 08:36 AM
IT's not the easiest place to find animals but they are there. You need to get high in the hills. I've not been out that way in 3 years. The spot I used to go to maybe out of reach:frown:

Everything there has changed a lot even from last year or even from this spring. To be honest a day trip won't be productive over that way. At least no more day trip for me. But if you live close, a rainy day at this time like this Wednesday will be great.

Barracuda
09-11-2006, 09:47 AM
pretty dry right now and a whole lotta traffic still

bsa30-06
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I agree it was real dry even most of the creeks are real low or not there at all.There were still a few campers out there racing around on atv's and making it impossible to even see the road at times they were kicking up so much dust.My only regret is i thought of a few things i would have liked to ask the CO i saw out there last night after he left.I'll have to keep trying sooner or later i'll get my chance, and find one of those blacktails.With my luck it'll be a spike , and i won't shoot a spike.

ASPEN
09-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Went for a drive up Silver Creek sunday- if the absolutely disgusting mess from the campers continues I can see some changes happening up there- You could fill at least 1 dumptruck with the garbage- really,really sad to see! Saw a few tracks and some ditch chickens .Came out at the Nahatalatch lakes-quite a few recent tracks at one of the lakes from deer getting a drink!

Mr. Dean
09-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Went for a drive up Silver Creek sunday- if the absolutely disgusting mess from the campers continues I can see some changes happening up there- You could fill at least 1 dumptruck with the garbage- really,really sad to see! Saw a few tracks and some ditch chickens .Came out at the Nahatalatch lakes-quite a few recent tracks at one of the lakes from deer getting a drink!

Sad, sad, sad :sad: :cry: :mad: :evil:

bsa30-06
09-12-2006, 03:45 PM

I agree the mess left behind is disgusting, i don't know whats wrong with some of these people.There is a sign hanging on a tree that says no garbage pick up please pack out your garbage,this does not mean leave it on the side of the road in a pile.I only drove back as far as cogburn creek but probably counted atleast 6 piles of garbage with 6 to 8 big garbage bags in them.

ASPEN, what was the road like going thru to Nahatlatch lakes.?

ASPEN
09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
No problem in two wheel drive - beautiful country up there- never saw a soul- lots of goat excrement on the road-saw 4 late oct last year on the road-and no camera-go figure.

Dieseldog6
09-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Has anybody gone up Talc Creek in recent time? I think you access it off Cogburn FSR just after the initial zig-zag and head southeast. I'm wondering if it's 2wd passable?

bsa30-06
09-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Dieseldog6, if your refering to the road that goes to the right after you cross the bridge at cogburn it was gated last season.I haven't gone that way yet this season.