PDA

View Full Version : Eye Glasses

bigwhiteys
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I am making an appointment this week to go in and have my eyes tested. Pretty sure I'll be coming away with a prescription for glasses.

I'll really only be using them for driving and hunting/shooting, which do most of you prefer...? Glasses or Contacts?

Do you look through your bino's/spotters with your glasses/contacts on?

What is a really good durable frame if I choose glasses?

Carl

Slee
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I wear contacts some times. Dont need them to drive yet but always find my self squinting to look across the room.

I have found that i can't wear contacts while using binos or shooting. im not sure why but i find it blury with them in while looking through optics. I think i will get a pair of glass's this year and take them off to glass/shoot. See how it goes.

The Hermit
03-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Dude I feel for you... glasses absolutely SUCK for hunting. They fog up, get wet, screw up the sight picture on open sighted firearms, make peep sights an extra hassle, gotta carry an extra pair incase you loose or break them... then you gotta think about a pair for the sun too! If you can stand contacts, I think that would be the way to go. I am saving my coin and going to have eye surgery (lens replacement) ASAP.. it is about $8K per eye but the new lenses apparently are the cats whiskers as they bend and work with the eye better... never need replacing and give you better than 20/20 vision.

jrjonesy
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Contacts are the best! I wear contacts and my brother wears glasses and he is constantly having problems in rainy weather. My 12 year old son just moved from glasses to contacts and on the 3rd day was comfortably wearing them throughout the day.

The downside is sticking your finger in your sleepy eyes at 3:30 in the morning and having to put them in if your hunting out of a tent or sleeping under the stars. A good idea to carry back up glasses and contacts on extended trips.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
When I was a teenager I needed glasses pretty good but hated the fact that they would never work with sports(baseball, volleyball, basketball and rugby). Got so bad that I would have to give my backcatcher the signals when I pitched:roll:. Couldn't hit worth shite in the twilight games. My coach finally had to make an eye appointment for me.

Scary part is that I also passed my driver's test(barely):roll:.

I went straight to contacts and loved them! Only had glasses as a backup. Glasses were for geeks;-).

Eventually(before laser eye surgery), I went with extended wear disposable contacts. Great because if you ripped one or lost one you always had a spare handy. Although they were extended wear I took them out every night when at home. Left them in if I was away or drunk....hard sticking a finger in your eye when you're trying to hold yourself up.

Don't miss glasses or contacts.

SSS

bensonvalley
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Contacts for any recreation; hockey, mtn biking, skiing, hunting.....and for bush work. Glasses for TV or desk work only. Funny enough the thing that has driven me closest to laser surgery has been hunting, I f'n hate crawling out the tent, feeling around for my contact stuff, and then putting them in....my hunting partner hates it even more while he waits for me.

Singleshotneeded
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
:D Hey Bigwhiteys, I got the laser surgery done in 1993, and I've got just under 20/20 vision. For hunting and driving, however, I got two pairs of glasses, each with flex frames so they won't break if you bump into a tree branch, etc, and each with a polycarbonate lens, to protect the eyes better than plain plastic or glass. On sunny days I wear a grey lens, which is polarized, and cuts down on glare and helps me spot fish in a river. On cloudy days I have a pair of light amber lenses, as this colour makes your vision seem sharper, and helps spot game. The glasses take my vision from just under 20/20 to just over 20/20. To answer your final question, I do wear my glasses whilst glassing with the binos, and sometimes when I'm shooting...

wolverine
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I guess everyone is different. I tried contacts last fall for the first time. I used them one evening moose hunting and ran across a questionalble bull and I'll be damned if the contacts didn't blurr something fierce on me. I couldn't see shit. I guess they dry out when you are concentrating at looking at something because you tend to blink way less. Maybe you have to make the conscious effort to blink to keep them moist. All I know is they pissed me off big time that night. My partner got closer and was able to tell he had one or two too many tines but I couldn't have told you. I would hate to lose a moose to blurred vision. I want to get them lasered if I can this year.

BigBanger
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Contacts for any recreation

Wolfman
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I hear ya man.

My up close vision has gotten pretty crappy over the past five years and reading glasses have been needed for the past few. Middle distance is getting off kilter too. Classic age related presbyopia: The kind of thing that my eye doctor tells me they can't reliably fix with surgery...yet. Where the hell is Dr. McCoy when you need him, eh? ;-)

Gonna need full time glasses pretty soon I think.

Mike

Bow Walker
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
If at all possible go with the contacts. You'll never get used to wearing glasses. Something hanging off your nose and supported by your ears just ain't natural.

BCLongshot
03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Just started using reading glasses .5 but don't really need them.

Just had the eyes tested and she said I have the "vision of an eagle".

I said "And the stamina of a bull".

I'm a bit of a futty nucker though.

ha ha ha