PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best time to hunt mountain goat?

Tron
03-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Im looking for the best time to hunt mountain goat in region 2. between Sept 10 and Oct 31. Ive never hunted Mountain goat before and would like to know a bit more about there habits at this time of year. Also, is there a better time during this season to hunt them (early Sept or late Oct) or to just go any time during this season. What elevation would I expect to find them or would it be just above the tree line?

Thanks

yukon john
03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
early has better weather but you will have to hit the alpine to find em late they get pushed down but the weather is unpredictable and icy cliffs blow best thing to do is take the whole season off till ya get one oh yah and go some where else where there is more goats

showtimebc
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
I like early september. nice weather and the goats have a pretty nice hide on them by then.

Geo.338
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Around here we like to see early snows and winterlike conditions to get the goats down a little on the mountain .We usually don't even go out until the first week or so of october.

d6dan
03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Hold off as long as you can, this way you will get a nice cape. Billies always look better with long hair. I shot one in EK Oct 22 and its the nicest one I have...

Bowtime
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Depends on what kind of hide your looking for, I like september best but the weather could be an issue. But the snow will bring those big billys down out of some rough stuff!!

BCbillies
03-04-2009, 10:29 PM
That's a short season in the south. Up north we hunt them from August 1 to Nov 15th in the open areas and to Feb 28th with LEH. The best time to goat hunt is when you're in good enough shape and when you really want to hunt hard. :wink: I prefer just about every month (for different reasons) other than December and January as the days are too short and the snow is typically too soft.

Mugger
03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
It comes down to what you want, meat first, or a great looking mount, for myself I wanted the long hair, both my goats I have mounted have long hair, shot mid November, Billies tend to be pushed down and towards the south facing slopes. This can be a hazardous time climbing ,snow and ice and the shortest days, you must be prepared for anything. Some hunters will take their first goat then the second be more selective,( ground shrinkage ) what ever you decide will be an adventure just the same.Go for it and live the dream.