PDA

View Full Version : Toad River downstream to Liard River

msawyer
03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi all...

Anybody been down the Toad to its confluence with the Laird and if so, what can you tell me about it? Boat type? Difficulty? Traveling back upstream? Wildlife? Any intell would be helpful..

Just an aside, I am interested in the Toad as an alternative to the Nelson River as an access route to the Liard River below the Liard Canyon. No intention to hunt along the Toad, just traveling down to the liard... Ergo, I'm not looking for that secrect place, just information on the Toad down to the Liard... I promise!!

Many thanks

Mike

uraarchr
03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
If i knew i,d let you know.I noticed that some threads are very silent,and get no replies at all.Like I've seen quite a few started .....Where can I find sheep in reigion 7-50:ones that i can drive up to and shoot???One guy started one something like ....Anybody know where i can find 400 class elk in region 4??The silence is deafening!!!Good luck.I know the wokkpash racing area is beautiful as far as scenery goes.One old BC outdoorsman mag said something about packing a raft over a mntn & floating to the Toad ?(from the Racing).

leadpillproductions
03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
ive hunted the racing she movie quick never hunted the other side

willy442
03-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi all...

Anybody been down the Toad to its confluence with the Laird and if so, what can you tell me about it? Boat type? Difficulty? Traveling back upstream? Wildlife? Any intell would be helpful..

Many thanks

Mike

Bit of a canyon down below where the Toad and Eight Mile join. I've gone through a couple of times, nothing to difficult if you are an experianced river boater, if not don't go. The Liard Canyon starts not to far upstream from where they join. Big fast water.

bridger
03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
if you are not a very experienced river boater with a really good boat probably better places to go with better hunting.

Deadshot
03-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Sounds like you're trying to hide something, Bridger?:wink:

bridger
03-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you're trying to hide something, Bridger?:wink:

not at all just trying to give some one a little insight very few local boaters (fort nelson-fort st john) go there most go up the tuchodi, muskwa, kechika etc. more game longer seasons better habitat.

Rock Doctor
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I have not made that trip, personally, but I know several guys that have. None of them seem to be in a hurry to repeat the trip.
As long as the river is not too low, there is nothing too bad (for experienced drivers). Smaller boats are better suited to the canyon than bigger ones (20-22 footers are going through). Nice scenery, but nothing fantastic.

I have every intention of doing the trip myself, I just haven't done it yet8-). I always seem to end up in the Tuchodi area.

Creeker
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
The one and only time we went down the toad there were approx 5 boats all fubarred in the first 15 mintues. They ended up hunting around the launch. The one totally screwed his intake.
It was a fun trip but we got skunked and ive never went back and that was in 1998.