PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Been Run Over By A Deer?

BuckFever
11-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Has anyone ever been run over by a deer?

Silverado
11-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Just last week I stopped at a deer/vehicle colission. The buck was lying in the middle of the road and I was going to drag him off so no other accident ocurred. As I approached, the deer got shakily to his feet, then fell down again.

I backed off a little, and he got up and staggered by me into the ditch, stood there, then walked in a circle and right into me! He kind of gave me a nudge, lost his balance a little, and then turned and staggered across the other 2 lanes and into the darkness...

Does that count?

Last year I was hiding under the low branches of a fir tree hunting deer, when I hear several pairs of hooves galloping toward me from the side.

A few seconds later, 3 does and 2 fawns come tearing into the clearing, stop for about 10 seconds, and then haul ass right past me, brushing the branches that were hiding me.

I never did see what was chasing them though...

Thunderstix
11-06-2005, 04:21 PM
I had to hide behind a small tree while elk hunting once to avoid being run over by a cow and bull moose as he chased her with you know what on his mind. He caught her as I could hear some pretty weird noises coming from the bush where they disappeared. I literally could have touched both as thy ran by completely oblivious to my presence.

sealevel
11-06-2005, 04:39 PM
when i was younger and knew more than i do now .I was showing of to my young wife who just got her hunting licence we saw a nice fork horn so i shot it in the head so i proudly walked up to it to cut its throught grabed it by the horn and it stud up took me for a merry ride bucked me off and ran over me. Here i had just hit it on the bone above the eye nocked it out i shot it again. My wife has laughed and told that story for about 25 years.

Thunderstix
11-06-2005, 05:02 PM
when i was younger and knew more than i do now .I was showing of to my young wife who just got her hunting licence we saw a nice fork horn so i shot it in the head so i proudly walked up to it to cut its throught grabed it by the horn and it stud up took me for a merry ride bucked me off and ran over me. Here i had just hit it on the bone above the eye nocked it out i shot it again. My wife has laughed and told that story for about 25 years.

Only 25 years? She let you off easy! She must have decided she loved you!:-D

huntwriter
11-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Some years back, I have been field testing the effectieveness of different camouflage patterns, when I got literally run over by a doe.

I sat snug against a tree wearing ASAT camouflage when that doe walked right up to me and strated to eat on a honey suckle brush not two feet away from me. At the time I lived in Illinois where deer like to browse on honey suckle. She was so close that I could have touched her. I moved a bit and the doe turned insite out and jumped over my head. Then she stood still and looked at me not quit sure what to make of it all. If it would have been hunting season I would have killed her with my knife :wink:.

If you are interested you can read my field test outcome here, a real eye opener:

http://www.asatcamo.com/Proper_Camouflage.htm

I do not know if posting a link here is okay, if not I am sorry and ask you to dlete it.

Amphibious
11-06-2005, 06:31 PM
so far only a camel....

Dano
11-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Haven't been run over but I was hunting in the Gang Ranch with my dad and his friend, Chilko Choate (used to guide in there and took my dad, his buddy Doug and I out for a week on horseback). He said to my dad, "Just bring enough food for 4 and we'll call it even." You gotta like that!!! We were riding on our way into camp at Lost Valley and Choates dog put his head up and took off. Choate whispered for me to get off and grab my rifle. We hadn't gone far up a trail when the dog came streaking by us, I'll never forget the cow and calf moose that were in hot persuit of the dog. I stepped off the trail and half behind a small tree as they came into view, Choate made himself look big and just stood there facing that pair (no rifle, ...the guy has a lot bigger balls than me!). What a sight! That cows hair standing right up on her neck and Choate staring them down from 30 feet! Then the cow and calf simultaniously spun around and headed the way they came.
It only lasted a few seconds but it was like time stood still. Choate turned to me with a smile and said, "where's that dam dog."
It was a great trip, we shot a nice bull and saw a few deer and a bear. The best part was Choates stories though, you can't beat an old time guide for making evenings in camp something to look forward to.
Dano

Postal
11-07-2005, 01:35 AM
I wasn't actually run over by a deer but it was certainly a close call!

It's a very strange story, mostly just because of where it happened. I was fishing along the bank of the Humber River in Ontario. For those of you who don't know the Humber is right smack in the middle of Toronto and flows into Lake Ontario.

Anyway, I'm in one of my hidden little fishing holes which is surrounded by thick brush and just watching the river flow by. Then I hear something moving through the brush and think, "damn, someone else must fish this spot!" (I'd been thinking I was the only one clever enough). So there I am waiting to have to share my small stretch of the river with another fisherman when an absolutely massive whitetail pops his head through the brush directly beside me. He stared at me not more than 2 feet away for what felt like a good minute. After that he snorted and made a move towards me. I had to jump out of the way into the bush, and he knocked over my rod and then jumped into the river and swam to the other side. It was a pretty wild experience and certainly not the sort of thing I had expected just minutes from downtown Toronto.

I'd seen trails leading down to the river there before but had never thought they were from deer. I guess I was fishing in his spot!

huntwriter
11-07-2005, 07:15 AM
I wasn't actually run over by a deer but it was certainly a close call!

It's a very strange story, mostly just because of where it happened. I was fishing along the bank of the Humber River in Ontario. For those of you who don't know the Humber is right smack in the middle of Toronto and flows into Lake Ontario.

Anyway, I'm in one of my hidden little fishing holes which is surrounded by thick brush and just watching the river flow by. Then I hear something moving through the brush and think, "damn, someone else must fish this spot!" (I'd been thinking I was the only one clever enough). So there I am waiting to have to share my small stretch of the river with another fisherman when an absolutely massive whitetail pops his head through the brush directly beside me. He stared at me not more than 2 feet away for what felt like a good minute. After that he snorted and made a move towards me. I had to jump out of the way into the bush, and he knocked over my rod and then jumped into the river and swam to the other side. It was a pretty wild experience and certainly not the sort of thing I had expected just minutes from downtown Toronto.

I'd seen trails leading down to the river there before but had never thought they were from deer. I guess I was fishing in his spot!

Yes some of the biggest deer live right smack dab in the inner city parks I could show you a place or two right here in Langley. Sorry we can't hunt in this parks. When I still lived in Illinois I would always apply for tags to hunt in small inner city parks. Some real monster bucks live in such places.;-)

bushape
11-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Lol, came WAY too close with a cow moose though!

BuckFever
11-07-2005, 09:36 PM
My dad and I went up to clinton the last week of october. I saw 4 bucks that week. We left sunday morning and on monday I saw a nice 4 point buck on the way back from my morning hunt. I wasn't able to get a shot away. I told my dad where I saw this buck. The next morning I came across a small 2 point but decided to pass on him. Late that afternoon My dad and I went to see if we could find that 4 point buck I saw the day before. I found a nice place to sit and watch roughly in the same timber I saw him before. My dad went down to a cut line to watch for him. It was pretty windy out, My dad decided to come off the hill where he watching and while he was walking down the hill he noticed a deer to his left standing in the timber feeding. He walked in a few feet to see if it was a buck. When the deer lifted his head up he noticed it was that 4 point I saw. He didn't have a shot where he was standing so he took a couple more steps to get a better shot. H elined up his shot and BANG!! Nothing the deer didn't even move or look at him, so he aimed and fired again. This time it bucked and took off, so he thought. My dad went over to see if there was any blood and for his tracks. He saw a deer standing behind some small xmas trees with his head down low,when he lifted his head up my dad was amazed it was the buck again. My dad fired again and down he went into the bushes. My dad called me on my radio and said he got him. I headed over to him. On my way I heard another shot. What happened was when my dad reached the deer he noticed that the shot that made him buck was a little high on the back. Then he noticed that he had 4 points on 1 side and when he reached to check the other side, the buck jump up and took off. Just before he ran my dad saw where the second shot hit him(right in the nose and jaw). The bucks jaw and nose was hanging there. When the deer took off my dad took a desperation shot. We looked until dark and all off the next day listening for ravens, we did hear 1 shot in that area. Hopefully someone shot him to put him out of his misery. My dad had to settle for a lousy spike and I shot a nice 2 point buck.

rock
11-07-2005, 10:44 PM
On my way to work I saw a group of deer with a young buck, so I decided to sneek up on them to see how close I could get. Everything was going fine until the young buck decided to chase a few does. At this point I was on still walking up to the top of a hill when I heard the deer really running, so I stopped where I was and listened, I knew they were close but what happened after that almost filled my pants. Two does broke the top off the hill in full stride and missed me buy a foot, the buck come over the top in full stride in a collision course with me, all I did was throw my arms out and screamed.
He locked up his front legs like a set of brakes and skidded to a stop, at this point there was dirt pushed onto the toes of my work boots, his eyes were like huge and nostrils were flaring, he was just as suprised as I was, basically I could have reach out and touch his nose. Of course this is all in a few seconds, eventually he turned and bolted back from where he came from.