PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag weight

todbartell
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
What is an desired weight of a -10C bag suitable for backpack hunting?

Krico
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
A good down bag in that temp rating will come in around 2lbs, a good synthetic will be slightly heavier, but still under the 3 lb mark. Synthetics are not the heavyweights they used to be, in comparison to down bags.

bigwhiteys
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Like Krico said I think 2lbs seems to be a good benchmark. I'm in the market for a new bag right now... My synthetic is good down to about -7 but weights 3.4 lbs.

I'm thinking of going with a down bag.

Carl

BCbillies
03-02-2009, 10:46 PM
The Integral Design bag I bought last year is rated -11 and is just over 2.5 lbs. You can get lighter but you may give up some comfort. My bag is between a mummy and a barrel and has the waterproof coating and is very comfy. Some of those mummy bags are light and pretty tight! :eek:

Brambles
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Careful, some manufacturers rate their sleeping bags for "survival temperature" and some for "comfort temperature" It can be around a 9 degree difference in bag temp rating

Montbell bags are rated for Comfort temperature now and.

Look at these two bags.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121726

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121724

Maxx
03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I love the down Western Mountaineering bags that I have. Check them out

gbear
03-03-2009, 07:14 AM
I have a Western Mountaineering down bag also. I really like it. MEC sells at least a few of them. As Maxx says, they are worth a look.

bighornbob
03-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Also to remember the sleeping bags weight is just for the sleeping bag. This does not include the stuff sack. My 3.5 lb bag (which I thought was good for a cheaper synthetic) was indeed 3.5 pounds but the stuff sack weighed another 3/4lb (compression sack). So my total weight was almost 4.5 lb. Lets just say I bought another bag.

BHB

bruin
03-03-2009, 02:42 PM
The Integral Design bag I bought last year is rated -11 and is just over 2.5 lbs. You can get lighter but you may give up some comfort. My bag is between a mummy and a barrel and has the waterproof coating and is very comfy. Some of those mummy bags are light and pretty tight! :eek:

What model? I hate mummy bags but would like to shave as much weight and bulk as I can. Thanks.

bruin
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Careful, some manufacturers rate their sleeping bags for "survival temperature" and some for "comfort temperature" It can be around a 9 degree difference in bag temp rating

Montbell bags are rated for Comfort temperature now and.

Look at these two bags.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121726

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121724

Are these bags that you have used personally, what did you think?

Everett
03-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Both my wife and I use montbell bags and love them . Ours weigh right around a pound and are rated for -1

lineofsight
03-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Good point Bighornbob about the compression bags - some use them others are happy with simple light nylon bag.

Down lighter, compresses more, lasts longer but no warmth when wet
Synthetic easier to care for, warm when wet, cheaper

If worried about wet, adding goretex shell/overbag may also increase weight of down above synthetic. Either around 2-2.5 pounds should do you. Loose most heat through ground contact so if can put more between mattress/tent/ground then that will help too.

Brambles
03-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Are these bags that you have used personally, what did you think?

I have 3 montbel bags

1- superstretch synthetic Green -1 comfort rated
1- superstretch synthetic Red -18 comfort rated
1-superstretch 800 fil down Green -1 comfort rated

Montbel bags are color coded, a different bag color means a different temperature rating. I don't have the exact bags I posted links too, but I have quite a bit of experiance with montbel products and my bags are basically the same, more so the 800 fil down bag.

I'm a bigger guy and like to be able to move in my bag, the superstretch technology is fantastic, don't feel closed in.
All the montbell products I have are real great, no complaints.

Bighorn hunter
03-08-2009, 10:50 AM
After reading bighornbobs post about his 3/4 lb compression sack I thought I would mension the compression sack I got from Kifaru.They only weigh 2.5 oz, and seem to be really tough.I think I paid around 45 US, which isnt cheep, but going light never is.

Just my 2 bits
bh

brianscott
03-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Bartell, I have a North Face Fission Synthetic -7 Bag.
It is dam near as light as some down Bags.I use it for hiking and backpacking. Seems like a good bag so far.
Might be worth a look I think its a bit over 2 pounds, toss in a OR Hydroseal Dry Comp Sac and you are around 3 lbs.

Comp sac is waterproof too for storing on the outside of yourpack, once the bag is out you can store spare clothes or whatever in it.

Good luck with your search for a bag

Stone Sheep Steve
03-09-2009, 04:36 AM
When I ordered my down sleeping bag a couple of years ago I also ordered one of those lightweight compression sacs(like BHH mentioned)....but found out I that I could not get the bag any smaller than with the regular stuff sac that came with the bag.

Seems to me that with down bags you don't need a compression bag as they will compact down small enough with just a regular stuff sac.

So, I now use my nice lightweight compression bag for my clothes.

SSS

BCRiverBoater
03-09-2009, 04:58 AM
I use a compression sac for my bag and one for my clothes. Everything gets compressed to the max for making room and it adds another waterproof barrier to both. Once the bag is out and in the tent then all my goodies go in the empty bag to keep pack empty and tent clean. I even put all my food in a reg lightweight dry sac. I find having most things in the 3 bags it keeps the pack organized and way easier for searching for things.

I will pack the extra 3/4 pound any day to get a waterproof layer and saving that much room in the bag. Also if you are packing meat or capes out it keeps your expensive sleeping bag and clothes dry and blood free. Do not know if I like the idea of climbing into a blood soaked sleeping bag after a day of hiking with meat or capes.

bigwhiteys
03-09-2009, 08:11 AM
My pack has a seperate compartment for my sleeping bag, on the bottom. There are straps inside to really compress and cinch it down.

I put my thermarest on top the sleeping bag and then cinch them right up tight... Fits nicely.

Carl