PDA

View Full Version : Choose one: Better Binos or Better Scope

aletheuo
03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
edit: Scopes = Rifle Scopes

I was just reading an article by Barsness on 24hrcampfire regarding optics.

Looking Long
by John Barsness
http://24hourcampfire.com/images/binos.jpgMOST BIG-GAME HUNTERS are binocular-illiterate. This may seem odd, when more and more hunting magazines run optics articles and even regular optics columns. But most of these essays deal with rifle scopes, because that's what hunters dream and argue about. Many of these stories claim that today's super-elusive bucks come mostly at long range, or in light so dim the owls are bouncing off the oaks. So every 7mm-08 must wear, at a minimum, a 4-12x variable with a 50mm objective lens.
From what I've seen in the deer woods, a lot of hunters buy this line. And many others spend their lunch hour worrying about how to scratch together $500 or $1000 to buy such scopes. Maybe a tenth that number worry about adequate binoculars. This, to put it bluntly, is exactly bassackwards from the way our world should be.
Over the past 30 years I have managed to put big game from three continents firmly on the ground. Among these have been a number of big mule and whitetailed deer. Just last fall I found an old 3x3 muley in Colorado with the heaviest beams of any mule deer I've ever killed. Back home in Montana I killed a whitetail that brought visitors from all over the county.
Were they killed by the judicious use of 14x magnification and target adjustment knobs? The muley was killed at 300 yards across an aspen draw, and the whitetail in the first five minutes of legal light, under a very dark sky. Both deer fell to 6x magnification, and neither scope had an objective over 40mm. As a matter of fact, in looking over my hunting notes for the past three decades, I have never shot a head of big game with a scope set on more than 6x, even though I've used a number of variables in the 3-9x and 4-12x range.
But good binoculars helped find both bucks--a big part of the reason neither knew I was anywhere near. This seems to be a foreign concept to most hunters. I'd guess 75% carry some tiny compact they bought on sale down at Wal-Mart for less than 50 bucks. Those who carry full-size binoculars tend to use them as extremely inefficient neck-warmers, never lifting their 8x40's unless they've already seen something move. "Gosh, there's a brown, four-legged animal running away. Wonder if it's a deer!"
The trick in using binoculars is to find game before the game finds you. Good glass helps, but technique is just as important. Of the few hunters with really good binoculars, a surprising percentage don't really know how to use them. The spending of $800 does not mean you will see every deer by sweeping the landscape with a Bausch & Lomb broom....
What do you think?

Steeleco
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
DUH I'm such a twit, no need for confirmation!!! I miss read it. Thought it meant spotter!!

We use our binos all day long, and our scopes maybe once!!!

Gateholio
03-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Scopes are aiming devices. You look through them infrequently, compared to binos.

As long as it holds zero and is reasonably clear, most scopes will work to shoot big game. You look through binos quite a bit. You will use them less if they suck:smile:

Singleshotneeded
03-03-2009, 12:08 AM
:smile: Most 3-9 or 4-12*40 rifle scopes will do a fine job of aiming, if you're going to a 32 or 33mm lens it's adviseable to buy a better quality of scope, or you'll have problems in lower light conditions. I definitely agree that a decent pair of binoculars is of greater importance than an expensive scope, and I like a 10*50 for it's good magnification and usefulness in lower light conditions. Also, if you go with a 10*50, you don't have to spend a fortune on binos, because the large lens will compensate in part for the glass not being the best in the world(I use a Bushnell Legacy 10-22*50, $150. The worst thing to do is to buy cheap 8*25s, they're practically useless, especially in low light...don't let the bright store fool you, lol!
If you have loads of cash and you want the best, then look at Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica...or the binos with image stabilization by Canon, available in 15 or 18*50, with the I.S. giving you a steady sharp image at those high powers. Check out the reviews, and then check out a few different models before buying...then decide what you can afford and what will do the job for you... Oh yeah, and when you're glassing a clear cut or mountainside, mentally divide it into squares like a graph, and glass each one methodically...that's a good way to ensure you don't miss any spots...

GoatGuy
03-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Scopes are aiming devices. You look through them infrequently, compared to binos.

Never in my case - I'm considering just trading the gun in for a toy gun with a really good camera mounted on it. Or maybe a paintball gun. Is it legal to shoot animals with paintball guns?

Singleshotneeded
03-03-2009, 12:35 AM
:smile: Hey Goat Guy, You can only use the new organic, non-toxic, biodegradable paintballs to shoot game, and then only from the
side...cuz you wouldn't want to get any in it's eyes. After, you
might want to stop by Superstore/ Extra Foods...they're putting
out some nice prime rib steaks lately!:smile:

Gateholio
03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Never in my case - I'm considering just trading the gun in for a toy gun with a really good camera mounted on it. Or maybe a paintball gun. Is it legal to shoot animals with paintball guns?

Harrassing wildlife....:smile:

Mr. Dean
03-03-2009, 01:47 AM
I fully agree with the quote in the opening post in that the trick is to find the quarry before it finds YOU!

Buy the best you can afford in both, bino's AND scope. Don't skimp, buy all that you can.

Use the bino's and *look* through them, at things. The "sweep" misses nearly everything thats obscured in shadows, behind fallen logs, tree limbs, leaves,,, you name it.

And a decent scope will aid in shooting it in the early morning (dark but legal light).... Better scopes offer better "brightness" - Its not all about power. A bad (cheap) 6x and a good (decent) 6x.... Which would you rather have?

But; it should also be said that while a clear crisp scope is nice, we really only depend on that feature very little. Whereas bino's are used all day long. IMO, the purchase should relfect this reasoning.

GoatGuy
03-03-2009, 07:20 AM
I fully agree with the quote in the opening post in that the trick is to find the quarry before it finds YOU!

Does it count if you're wearing camo in the truck?

Then the deer think all it is is a truck going by with a big head in it - no body to get out and actually shoot the deer.

GoatGuy
03-03-2009, 07:26 AM
:smile: Hey Goat Guy, You can only use the new organic, non-toxic, biodegradable paintballs to shoot game, and then only from the
side...cuz you wouldn't want to get any in it's eyes. After, you
might want to stop by Superstore/ Extra Foods...they're putting
out some nice prime rib steaks lately!:smile:

I'm in.........

budismyhorse
03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
better binos, no contest.

Like Steeleco I assumed this was about spotters......now that would be a tighter debate IMO.

aletheuo
03-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Tried to edit original post to clarify Rifle scopes but edit is not working for some reason... will try again later.

k - it's fixed now - hopefully that will clarify things

Slee
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
This is a no brainer, Just buy great optics all around. Get good binos, rifle scope, and spotter. I gave up drinking for 6 months and was able to save up a pile of money ;)

Mr. Dean
03-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Does it count if you're wearing camo in the truck?

Then the deer think all it is is a truck going by with a big head in it - no body to get out and actually shoot the deer.

If the truck has cammo seat covers and dash pad, Deer won't have a clue.

I should've also said that while a clear crisp scope is nice, we really only depend on that feature very little. Whereas better bino's are used all day long.

Singleshotneeded
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
:smile: Hey Goat Guy! So you're the guy I saw last season get out the driver's door, slide under his truck(pretending to be a differential), and then shoot his buck from under the pickup? Very sneaky tactic!:-P

GoatGuy
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
:smile: Hey Goat Guy! So you're the guy I saw last season get out the driver's door, slide under his truck(pretending to be a differential), and then shoot his buck from under the pickup? Very sneaky tactic!:-P

Not me, but I would have loved to seen the guy's style. Sounds like a SERIOUS hunter.

GoatGuy
03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
If the truck has cammo seat covers and dash pad, Deer won't have a clue.

My birthday's in April, I'll be waiting........

Singleshotneeded
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
:smile: You got that right, Goat Guy. He was shooting a spike I'd noticed earlier but passed on... It was funny watching him slither under his truck...I wonder why he felt the need to do that, lol...:shock: