PDA

View Full Version : Predater call for grizzlies???

TherealSLYFOX
03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone has actually called in a bear and if so which call works best. I'm headed for bella coola does it work on coastal bears or interior ones or neither anyways thanks I'm just exploring all my options.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-02-2009, 09:02 AM
If you have ever hunted on the coast before you know its can be rather thick, so visibilty is poor. Make sure you have a box of bandaids and a spare pair of underware.

Rackmastr
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Called in a big sow in Alberta while calling late season coyotes.....(early spring).

She came to about 40 yards and passed us in a clearing.......

Other than that, I have only seen a grizz show up during elk calling the occasional time, but havent spent much time calling for them with a predator call.

KodiakHntr
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I've called in more than a few.

Usually use a bunny call, hare in distress, or a fawn in distress.

Keep your eyes open.

open-sights
03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Have seen it done with a Calf distress call.

proguide66
03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I had a sow with 3 - 200lb cubs come in to a bugle at 20 yrds last fall......wasnt cool......

elkdom
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I also have had Gbears come to elk calls and moose calls, many times over 40 years of hunting in BC, last year same as proGuide66 mentioned, a sow grizz with 3 almost mature cubs (over 200 lbs), comes in to my cow elk call, I do not wish to have to kill a Gbear Sow with cubs because of me purposely CALLING them in, then having to defend myself and kill them!, since hunting grizzy requires identifying and determining if the bear has cubs or NOT!, calling and hoping to spot a Gbear before it spots you can turn into a a "SHIT STORM", Gbears are very good at "stalking" incredible sense of smell and hearing, also many times I have come across 2 mature Gbears together during the spring hunting season, "IF YOU CALL IN 2,WHAT YOU GONNA DO??" I have killed many Grizzlies and in a planned Gbear hunt, predator calling wouldnt be one of any option I would choose, but your free to EXPERIMENT if you wish! :shock: :eek:,,
just remember when you make yourself the BAIT !,, your dealing with THE top Predator here! :wink:

bushguy
03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
calling in a grizzly looking for a meal ,,by mistake or on purpose is NOT fun and i dont think its recommended for a healthy lifestyle.I'd way rather plug one that was not on high alert wanting dinner.Now ,,,following one into the thick stuff after hes been shot,,,,,,,,,:frown::frown:,,thats priceless.

srupp
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
it does work and I have tried it with a distress call HOWEVER BE WARNED..the bear can pick up on direction and placement of you and may NOT charge in but sneak...:shock: be very very cautious...bella Coola hmmmmm not really a good plan THERE...

cheers

Steven

karlgotch
03-02-2009, 11:52 AM
It works.

Especially during the early spring before things green up and there is still snow in the valley bottoms, the bears will take what opportunities they can for some feed. We used to bring some big bears in up the Kispiox in the spring.

It is pretty sketchy though. You need a good setup with plenty of visibility & distance, and a partner or two with you to keep an eye out for any bear coming in.

Walking solo through the timber wailing on your call is not the smartest thing a fellow could do.

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Wayne Carlton makes a good bear call, and yes it works.

Keep in mind though that some bears will ignore it, some will come in slowly to investigate/stalk and a few will come in like a train and won't stop until a bullet does it for them. I have called in more than a few and have shot more than 1 that I did not want too, but was left with no choice. Some areas, like where visibility is limited, I won't call at all, simply because I don't like my chances of coming out on top, should I get the "type3" bear come in....

My experience is with black bears. I'd want at least one other armed person at my back, if I were gonna start whaling like a gut shot pig in grizz territory.....(grin)

TherealSLYFOX
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys so all in all not a good idea unless I want to put in a head lock.

porcupine
03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I've called them in with a mooose call and then got the hell out of there as quick as I could!
________
vapor genie vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/vaporgenie-vaporizer.html)

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I've called them in with a mooose call and then got the hell out of there as quick as I could!

Yep, being hunted just isn't quite as fun as hunting......:shock:

Got a black bear all horned up last spring, with the Carlton, to show a buddy what a predatory bear acts like.

He got the idea..........(grin)

mcrae
03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Have no experience with grizz but I call in Black bears in the spring with a fawn distress call quite often. I find its best to have a visual on the bear rather than a blind call and waiting for one to come in...

The Wayne Carlton call works well but it can get hard on the ears with a prolonged calling set...If you want to scare the bejesus out of your hunting buddy walk really quietly behind him and let loose with the call. That's almost as much fun as calling in bears...

papaken
03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Get a nice treestand. Get your buddy to call from a clearing. Oh wait! That might be considered baiting! Bugled in a black bear one time, he was'nt very big so I don't know what he was thinking.

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Should also mention, bears have a short attention span, so over calling is almost impossible. I have had bears that I thought were committed, only to have them stop and start feeding on grass when I stopped blowing on the call. Start calling again and here they come.

Will also add that once a bear gets an idea in their head, they're tough to convince other wise........

tracker
03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I think this would work well from a tree stand ,might even try it this spring...... for grizz and blacks :shock::shock: