PDA

View Full Version : Kid caught in trap

proguide66
03-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Just got an email from freind in Kamloops......freinds of theirs were up " Jamieson" and there little girl got caught in a foot trap "right on the main road"...took 3 of em to get it off her...they took it to the CO's and got in trouble for taking the trap!...anybody out there know the trapper , this will answer the question of what happened to one of his traps!

nano
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
is the girl ok. hope you find out whos trap it is.

Mr. Friendly
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
yeh, there was a newspaper article some years ago in Kamloops Daily I think, because a woman walking her dog saw them and of course became concerned and felt threatened (her dog and all).

stupid CO...should have been concerned about the kid rather then something as simple as the removed trap. crap happens, deal with it...(on both sides).

bsa30-06
03-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Why would a foot trap be placed on the "main road"....This seems really stupid and irresponsible.

proguide66
03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I dont know the people...as well..who knows , maybe there isnt a trap line in the area?...hmm...and if there is , the main is a nutso place to set a foot trap...imagine driving up a main , heres a wolf sitting there staring at you from 4 ft...DOH !:shock:...if I made a set like that , I wouldnt expect to harvest what I caught...not on a 'main' anyway.....:|

ryanb
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't know much about trapping, but doing so in a well used recreational area seems to be way more risk than reward. I would think the chance of nailing someones dog or even worse what happened here way too high.

I have nothing against trapping, but to me it seems it can often pose a lot of risks to wilderness users and/or their pets.

Gilmore
03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Just got an email from freind in Kamloops......freinds of theirs were up " Jamieson" and there little girl got caught in a foot trap "right on the main road"...took 3 of em to get it off her...they took it to the CO's and got in trouble for taking the trap!...anybody out there know the trapper , this will answer the question of what happened to one of his traps!

Trappers:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SHACK
03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I wonder what kind of trap the girl got caught up in? I have always been concearned about my dogs and traps! I could not emagine how I would go off if one of my dogs got injured while off hunting with them or something. I have absolutely NOTHING against trapping but I also believe that there should be some sort of signage required in the area of trap lines or such.

The Hermit
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I wonder what kind of trap the girl got caught up in? I have always been concearned about my dogs and traps! I could not emagine how I would go off if one of my dogs got injured while off hunting with them or something. I have absolutely NOTHING against trapping but I also believe that there should be some sort of signage required in the area of trap lines or such.

Cool, what kind of dog do you have? I've tried teaching dogs to read before without any luck! :razz:

SHACK
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
I have to German short haired pointers, not saying I need an election sign at every trap, but a general sign at a trail head that states that trapping is happening within the immediate area would be a good thing. Especially if conibears are being used, I mean a leg hold/snare would give you plenty of time to get your pooch, but a conibear kills quickly and they are not the easiest thing to open, especially with a panicked pet inside of one!!

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I'd take a foot hold any day, over having my dog caught in a snare, especially if he's panicky......

Conibear's, especially the larger ones, require some serious responsibility on the part of the trapper. That said, you can only go so far and people have to take on a little responsibility of their own, as far as letting kids/pets wander off unsupervised.

As per signage, I've had enough traps stolen as it is, I'm not about to advertise. Waaaayyyy to many un/mis informed freaks wandering around.

ryanb
03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I'd take a foot hold any day, over having my dog caught in a snare, especially if he's panicky......

Conibear's, especially the larger ones, require some serious responsibility on the part of the trapper. That said, you can only go so far and people have to take on a little responsibility of their own, as far as letting kids/pets wander off unsupervised.

As per signage, I've had enough traps stolen as it is, I'm not about to advertise. Waaaayyyy to many un/mis informed freaks wandering around.

See, this attitude is an issue for me. I never let me dog run through the bush unsupervised, nor would I dream of doing the same with my kids (when I have some), but even if I am watching him it's not going to keep him from getting nailed by a trap or a snare if one happens to be there. I think trapping is somewhat at odds with the realities of wilderness use these days and I think trappers either need to take measures to protect the public and/or their pets...be it warning signs or making sure there is no possibility of hitting people and/or their pets.

I am quite uninformed about trapping, so please educate me if I have it wrong, but based on certain trapping threads I have seen on this site lately, I have been nervous when walking my dog around the bush. I can't even immagine how I would react if he got nailed by a trap.

1/2 slam
03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Big concern for me and my dogs as well.

Hey Shack. I picked up a second E.P. pup and the launchers Ken bought from you. Can't wait for the season to get going.

proguide66
03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
See, this attitude is an issue for me. I never let me dog run through the bush unsupervised, nor would I dream of doing the same with my kids (when I have some), but even if I am watching him it's not going to keep him from getting nailed by a trap or a snare if one happens to be there. I think trapping is somewhat at odds with the realities of wilderness use these days and I think trappers either need to take measures to protect the public and/or their pets...be it warning signs or making sure there is no possibility of hitting people and/or their pets.

I am quite uninformed about trapping, so please educate me if I have it wrong, but based on certain trapping threads I have seen on this site lately, I have been nervous when walking my dog around the bush. I can't even immagine how I would react if he got nailed by a trap. One thing lots dont take into thought is the fact that the woods arent safe for domestic dogs for most of the year......to single out trapping to post up advertisemt wouldnt really be fair....I most deffinitely DONT put up signs that read ' Danger , deer hunting going on here'...or in the spring time ' danger , bear hunting going on in here'....but we all know the risks of letting our dogs rip around on public hunted land during open seasons..as well...wolves ( wich look alot like dogs) are fair game to the bullet for most of the year.As well...if trappers were to have to put up signs , guarranteed the antis would form weekend ' trap hunts' for kicks.....
On the other hand....where I have seen dog / owner sign close to my traps , I have put signs that read ' danger , predator control active in area'...I feel this wording would be 'slight' enough for the average ' uneducated' outdoor goer to not connect it to TRAPPING. ( wich seems to be a word of alarm these days)...
To have your traps stolen is big $ as well as lost hours if not days of labour/fuel...I'm sure there is LOTS of places to take 'spot' for a walky with out taking him to a hunted area for a walky.....

Blainer
03-01-2009, 08:12 PM
This will be a black eye to all trappers.
The public will not look favourably on this.

skibum
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
If you ask a CO, do they have to tell you where the trap lines are - I mean general area? -

proguide66
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
If you ask a CO, do they have to tell you where the trap lines are - I mean general area? -
They will probably tell you how to obtain the info for your self.The local CO's arent ' up to date' on the lines or who owns them here.I have given them the info..although they could dig it up themselves easy....it is as well easy for anyone to do their homework on the area they want to hang out with their dogs....get ahold of the MOE , ask for the tapline maps in your area of question , take down the trapline #'s in your area...ask them if they are active or not......I am working 4 different ones..moe looks up the line #'s , up comes my name...;)...( except when I sneak onto Gilmores property and poach shit:razz:)

bsa30-06
03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I have two issues with this story.First really makes all trappers look bad when a young child gets caught in a foot trap in the middle of the road(if infact that is where the trap was).Second is the re-action they got from the CO....are you kidding me maybe he should be more concerned with finding the guy who is laying traps in the middle of the road.

boxhitch
03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Gotta love the trapping threads, nothing else to dump on at this time.

Someone heard a story from someone about something that sounds very unlikely and improbable, and the net is off on a bashing spree again.

We are our own worst enemies

steveo32
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
There are signs up jamison saying active trap line or trapping in progress if you pay attention then i am sure you wouldnt get caught in a trap as for on a main road that is hard to beleive maybe on a way less traveled road but i know there is a trap line up in there i have seen some traps as well as signs while shed hunting

ryanb
03-01-2009, 08:57 PM
One thing lots dont take into thought is the fact that the woods arent safe for domestic dogs for most of the year......to single out trapping to post up advertisemt wouldnt really be fair....I most deffinitely DONT put up signs that read ' Danger , deer hunting going on here'...or in the spring time ' danger , bear hunting going on in here'....but we all know the risks of letting our dogs rip around on public hunted land during open seasons..as well...wolves ( wich look alot like dogs) are fair game to the bullet for most of the year.As well...if trappers were to have to put up signs , guarranteed the antis would form weekend ' trap hunts' for kicks.....
On the other hand....where I have seen dog / owner sign close to my traps , I have put signs that read ' danger , predator control active in area'...I feel this wording would be 'slight' enough for the average ' uneducated' outdoor goer to not connect it to TRAPPING. ( wich seems to be a word of alarm these days)...
To have your traps stolen is big $ as well as lost hours if not days of labour/fuel...I'm sure there is LOTS of places to take 'spot' for a walky with out taking him to a hunted area for a walky.....

My dog (a lab) wears a blaze orange and reflective striped vest when walking in the forest with me...always under my supervision...anyone that shoots him thinking he's a wolf is an absolute idiot.

Personally, I feel a family out for a walk in the woods with their dog under their supervision shouldn't be in fear of having one of their kids or dogs caught in a leghold trap or a snare. If there is a sign, they can go for a walk somewhere else, if there is no sign they will never be the wiser until something tragic happens.

I understand putting up a sign might make it known to antis your are trapping there, but in my opinion that doesn't really justify the increased risk to people by not posting warning signs.

bayou
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
One thing lots dont take into thought is the fact that the woods arent safe for domestic dogs for most of the year......to single out trapping to post up advertisemt wouldnt really be fair....I most deffinitely DONT put up signs that read ' Danger , deer hunting going on here'...or in the spring time ' danger , bear hunting going on in here'....but we all know the risks of letting our dogs rip around on public hunted land during open seasons..as well...wolves ( wich look alot like dogs) are fair game to the bullet for most of the year.As well...if trappers were to have to put up signs , guarranteed the antis would form weekend ' trap hunts' for kicks.....

Well proguide Ive been trying to stay outa your threads but I think you are makeing trappers and hunters look bad more and more with your comments Im only guessing by what your insinuating by saying what risks there is by letting dogs rip around on public land during hunting season, and if someone is mistaken them for a wolf they really shouldnt be hunting to start with. For one you said public land so it is open for every one to recreate in and dogs can be loose through lots of the hunting and trapping seasons. I fell all lines should be marked with signage stating that there is killing traps in area if trappers have nothing to hide they shouldnt worry but from what Ive seen they dont want people to know there in the area not because there scared of loosing traps but scared that people will see what may be really going on. Like I said befor you have to be out there to see it. I am not against trapping but have seen to much illegal stuff dealing with it that feel there should be some changes in the regs. It is a thing of the past in may areas just like you say and show in your threads many dont even run there lines any more lots justwant to hang on to them for the cabins which they use at other times. I know of many that get there 200 worth of fur to keep there lines but arnt even taken it off there line.Not having to check snares/killing traps for 14 days and you have stated and showing pictures that animals are not always caught properly or killed so I feel it should be changed, pretty sure it was 7 days when I trapped and I felt that was to long and checked every 3.
Yes losing traps is a lose of money but also illegal if person can be caught.
But alot of people have many dollers and time invested in there pets and children for that matter as well and would be a great and irreplaceabe loss as well.
I have to deal with lots of different groups in my recreating in the outdoors form hunters,trappers,loggers,skidooers, skiers,hikers,quaders,antigroups etc etc Ifind it hard and try to see all points but dont want my activitys shut down because of others.
I find you like a cult leader out preaching saying things like your doing this for every one else trying to drum up followers. In the long run I think your gona hurt the cause your trying to help.
Just my opinion, there done for now.

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
My dog (a lab) wears a blaze orange and reflective striped vest when walking in the forest with me...always under my supervision...anyone that shoots him thinking he's a wolf is an absolute idiot.

Personally, I feel a family out for a walk in the woods with their dog under their supervision shouldn't be in fear of having one of their kids or dogs caught in a leghold trap or a snare. If there is a sign, they can go for a walk somewhere else, if there is no sign they will never be the wiser until something tragic happens.

I understand putting up a sign might make it known to antis your are trapping there, but in my opinion that doesn't really justify the increased risk to people by not posting warning signs.

I tend to think that a person should be responsible for thier own safety and the safety of their pets, when they venture into the bush.

Trapping is a legitimate outdoor activity, people should educate themselves and be aware of what is out there before setting out.

I don't need a sign to let me know that there are hazards inherent to letting your dog run loose in the bush.

Skeena Hunter 1
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Someone heard a story from someone about something that sounds very unlikely and improbable, and the net is off on a bashing spree again.

We are our own worst enemies

I couldn't agree more, some FACTS would be nice.

f350ps
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I tend to think that a person should be responsible for thier own safety and the safety of their pets, when they venture into the bush.

Trapping is a legitimate outdoor activity, people should educate themselves and be aware of what is out there before setting out.

I don't need a sign to let me know that there are hazards inherent to letting your dog run loose in the bush.
That's BS and you know it!! So your out Deer hunting and get yer ankle mangled by a trap and it's your own fault?? Give yer head a shake!! K

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
]
Well proguide Ive been trying to stay outa your threads but I think you are makeing trappers and hunters look bad more and more with your comments Im only guessing by what your insinuating by saying what risks there is by letting dogs rip around on public land during hunting season, and if someone is mistaken them for a wolf they really shouldnt be hunting to start with. For one you said public land so it is open for every one to recreate in and dogs can be loose through lots of the hunting and trapping seasons.

Owners that let thier dogs run loose ANYHERE are risking thier dog get injured/killed, and not just by traps or hunters.

I fell all lines should be marked with signage stating that there is killing traps in area if trappers have nothing to hide they shouldnt worry but from what Ive seen they dont want people to know there in the area not because there scared of loosing traps but scared that people will see what may be really going on. Like I said befor you have to be out there to see it. I am not against trapping but have seen to much illegal stuff dealing with it that feel there should be some changes in the regs.

If you feel there is something illegal going on, why not contact the CO's rather than making broad allegations? And if there are illegal activitis, hw is changing regs going to help that?

Should hunters post signs that they are hunting in the area? Sledders/dirt bikers/quadders post signs that they will be racing around at 100KM/h?

How about people taking responsibility for thier own safety and not letting thier dogs out of thier control?

It is a thing of the past in may areas just like you say and show in your threads many dont even run there lines any more lots justwant to hang on to them for the cabins which they use at other times. I know of many that get there 200 worth of fur to keep there lines but arnt even taken it off there line.Not having to check snares/killing traps for 14 days and you have stated and showing pictures that animals are not always caught properly or killed so I feel it should be changed, pretty sure it was 7 days when I trapped and I felt that was to long and checked every 3.

I guess you should contact the trappers assoc for guidelines on that.

But alot of people have many dollers and time invested in there pets and children for that matter as well and would be a great and irreplaceabe loss as well.

So if you've invested many dollars in your dog, why not check if there is an active trapline in the area, and keep it under your supervision?

I find you like a cult leader out preaching saying things like your doing this for every one else trying to drum up followers. In the long run I think your gona hurt the cause your trying to help.

wow...what a highly perceptive comment.... Proguide has said many times that he IS trying to recruit others to get out and get involved in reducing predator numbers in BC!!:tongue:

So far, it looks like it's working!:wink:

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM

For starters, I highly doubt a trapper set 30-$80 foot hold trap in the middle of a main road. The fact that the CO was allegedly concerned with them removing the trap, makes me think that he didn't buy their story either.

Letting fido run free in the wilderness carries far greater risks than a stray trap/snare, both of which are unlikely to cause permanent/serious damage, assuming you're close by, as you say. Cougars, wolves and coyotes are a far greater concern IMO. Kids getting into traps should be a non-issue, assuming they have parents who give a chit, when they are in wilderness areas. Like stated previously, traps ain't cheap and trappers go to lengths to keep them from being spotted, even with a fur bearer caught in said trap.

I am quite uninformed about trapping, so please educate me if I have it wrong, but based on certain trapping threads I have seen on this site lately, I have been nervous when walking my dog around the bush. I can't even immagine how I would react if he got nailed by a trap.

If you're running your dog on main roads and not chasing boot prints that lead off into the sticks, you should not have to worry about anything....except maybe a snow mobiler/atv'er/vehicle. Fact is, you have to assume a certain amount of risk, no matter where you go, or what activity you're taking part in. The wilderness doesn't only belong to pet owners and/or their families........

P.S.
No attitude meant in my post(s), just a trappers POV.
I rarely ever mention that I'm a trapper, when I meet people out in the bush.....unless I'm in the mood for a 45 minute debate......(grin)

358win
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM

Back to the story...

Give me a break!! What trapper would set a trap on a main road.

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
That's BS and you know it!! So your out Deer hunting and get yer ankle mangled by a trap and it's your own fault?? Give yer head a shake!! K

DOn't know about you, but I think where I put my feet is my responsibility.

Regardless, until we start hearing widespread incidents of people stepping in traps, I think it's a molehill that doesn't ned to grow into a mountain.

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Fact is people are curious, just like the animals I trap. A warning sign is as good as skunk lure on coyote set........

kyleklassen
03-01-2009, 09:41 PM
That's BS and you know it!! So your out Deer hunting and get yer ankle mangled by a trap and it's your own fault?? Give yer head a shake!! Kyep its your own fault.

Blainer
03-01-2009, 09:54 PM

We are our own worst enemiesKeep in mind this thread was started by a trapper who received an e-mail from a friend about his daughter.
I have to imagine how you would feel if it was you're daughter or is it wrong to let the kids run free on a logging road?

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by f350ps http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=420104#post420104)

Looks like another head is in need of a shake, bear traps have not been legal to set in B.C. for quite some time. No wolf/coyote trap is going to encompass a mans foot and reach his ankle, and that's assuming you step dead center on the pan. 5 1/2 - 7" jaw spread is what most wolf/coyote traps are, and for the price of those suckers, they don't get set in hordes, nor on main roads....

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
is it wrong to let the kids run free on a logging road?

I wouldn't let my kids run free on a logging road.

Course, it has nothing to do with them getting caught in a trap.........

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Keep in mind this thread was started by a trapper who received an e-mail from a friend about his daughter.
I have to imagine how you would feel if it was you're daughter or is it wrong to let the kids run free on a logging road?

Is it safe to let kids run free on roads?:confused:

Blainer
03-01-2009, 09:59 PM
DOn't know about you, but I think where I put my feet is my responsibility.

Regardless, until we start hearing widespread incidents of people stepping in traps, I think it's a molehill that doesn't ned to grow into a mountain.Let's keep in mind this instance is about a little girl.Do you honestly find fault in a little girl that mistakenly put's her foot in a trap on a logging road.
I'm by no means against trapping,but if I was the father,I would give the trapper a dental plan.

boxhitch
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Keep in mind this thread was started by a trapper who received an e-mail from a friend about his daughter.
I have to imagine how you would feel if it was you're daughter or is it wrong to let the kids run free on a logging road?The first thing I concidered was the source. Therefore my skepticism :tongue:

Nobody in their right mind sets on a road. Therefore we have everyone else to worry about.

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Never ceases to amaze me, just how many people expect someone else to be responsible their safety.....in the wilderness no less.

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Let's keep in mind this instance is about a little girl.Do you honestly find fault in a little girl that mistakenly put's her foot in a trap on a logging road.
I'm by no means against trapping,but if I was the father,I would give the trapper a dental plan.

If the trap was placed ON a logging road by a trapper, then I'd say he was irresponsible.

If the kid was running around in the bush, I'd say it's one of the many hazards that could be out there, like cliffs, snow covered holes, wet logs, slippery rocks, etc.

kyleklassen
03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Never ceases to amaze me, just how many people expect someone else to be responsible their safety.....in the wilderness no less.halllelugah(is that how you spell it) you speaketh the truth.

bayou
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;420111]]

Owners that let thier dogs run loose ANYHERE are risking thier dog get injured/killed, and not just by traps or hunters.

If you feel there is something illegal going on, why not contact the CO's rather than making broad allegations? And if there are illegal activitis, hw is changing regs going to help that?

Should hunters post signs that they are hunting in the area? Sledders/dirt bikers/quadders post signs that they will be racing around at 100KM/h?

How about people taking responsibility for thier own safety and not letting thier dogs out of thier control?

Its legal to let them run around. And yes lots of areas have it posted about sleders bikers etc just like people post areas that theres no hunting or its private propery. Its not like 100 yrs ago lots of people use the outdoors to recreate for different reasons.

I guess you should contact the trappers assoc for guidelines on that.

So if you've invested many dollars in your dog, why not check if there is an active trapline in the area, and keep it under your supervision?

Acually there is around 8

wow...what a highly perceptive comment.... Proguide has said many times that he IS trying to recruit others to get out and get involved in reducing predator numbers in BC!!:tongue:

Ya and maybe the trap was set by one of his followers.

So far, it looks like it's working!:wink:

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Don't blame the little girl, but I 'd be taking a hard look at the parental supervision in this case.

For conversation, my young girls come on my line all the time, live traps and all. Things with a heart beat concern me far more, animal or human...

tracker
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
so where do we get these signs from ,is there different colors we can pick from? :tongue:

Danger is everywhere ,when is it your time to stare it in the face?

Hope the kid is ok .:wink:

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Its not like 100 yrs ago lots of people use the outdoors to recreate for different reasons.

You're right, it's not like a 100 years ago. Far more people in the bush back then, many lived there. They even took responsibility for their own well being, cause they damn well knew, no one else was going to do it for them.........

f350ps
03-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Never ceases to amaze me, just how many people expect someone else to be responsible their safety.....in the wilderness no less.
So let me get this straight, some puke puts a wire across a logging road about neck high for a guy on a quad and nails ya and yer gonna say " Oh well, it's my fault, I should have been more careful." Ya right!! This wasn't something i dreamt up, it happened to my brother outside of Princeton. I'll have to tell him to be more careful. K

RiverOtter
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
So let me get this straight, some puke puts a wire across a logging road about neck high for a guy on a quad and nails ya and yer gonna say " Oh well, it's my fault, I should have been more careful." Ya right!! This wasn't something i dreamt up, it happened to my brother outside of Princeton. I'll have to tell him to be more careful. K

Seriously....

There's a far stretch between stringin' a wire across a road at neck height, and setting a 6" wide foot hold trap in the bush for a coyote.

kyleklassen
03-01-2009, 10:32 PM
So let me get this straight, some puke puts a wire across a logging road about neck high for a guy on a quad and nails ya and yer gonna say " Oh well, it's my fault, I should have been more careful." Ya right!! This wasn't something i dreamt up, it happened to my brother outside of Princeton. I'll have to tell him to be more careful. Ksounds like we're getting away from a trap set on or near a mainline to someones vigilantism against quads.

Blainer
03-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Never ceases to amaze me, just how many people expect someone else to be responsible their safety.....in the wilderness no less.This is why we hire babysitters,daycare,nanny's or leave the kids with someone we trust.
How many times have you jumped outta the truck on a logging road to take a piss?Do you look for traps?
Some jacka$$ sets a trap on a logging road that in turn injures a child and you find fault with the child or the parent.Do you set up on logging roads?
What about a hunter that misses the buck and kills a person behind?Guess that person should never have been there?
That is why hockey players are responsible for there stick!Try telling the reff that the player should never have been there.

f350ps
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
[quote=RiverOtter;420155]Never ceases to amaze me, just how many people expect someone else to be responsible their safety.....in the wilderness no less.[/quote
I'll leave this alone, yer colours are pretty obvious. Be careful out there! K

kyleklassen
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
This is why we hire babysitters,daycare,nanny's or leave the kids with someone we trust.
How many times have you jumped outta the truck on a logging road to take a piss?Do you look for traps?
Some jacka$$ sets a trap on a logging road that in turn injures a child and you find fault with the child or the parent.Do you set up on logging roads?
What about a hunter that misses the buck and kills a person behind?Guess that person should never have never been there?
That is why hockey players are responsible for there stick!Try telling the reff that the player should never have been there.isn't it my legal responseability to ensure a mis directed bullet doesn't hit anyone? but is it my legal resposibilty to make sure no one steps in a trap i set?

killemall
03-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Nobody is saying its someone elses responibility to keep them safe. Your missing the point. People dont want someone else to endanger their safety.

Joe schmo running their dog or hiking with their kid up a logging road is not going to worry about traps. Most would have no idea they are out there. Their dogs and kids are also going to run all over on and off the trail. Its tough to say well its their fault for not being educated as like i said most have no idea. I think its the trappers responsibility to set in an area the public is not going to access or as said mark the area clearly.

Gatehouse im not following your arguements. Comparing a slippery rock to a leg hold really? Questioning if its safe to let kids walk on a road? I think it was clear he wasnt talking about unsupervised on a freeway. I think he meant supervised on a deactivated logging road, spur road ect. The issue seems like a molehill to you but im sure to the parents its not something they want to happen again.

I think trapping has a time and place and the time and place is getting narrower with so many out in the bush these days. Those that do trap need to make sure they are doing so responsibly. I would hate to see someone seeing these threads and walking out in the bush tossing traps around being not properly educated on predator numbers,public safety and their responsibility. Hunting you choose exactly what you harvest and you have more control over how its done.

Blainer
03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
isn't it my legal responseability to ensure a mis directed bullet doesn't hit anyone? but is it my legal resposibilty to make sure no one steps in a trap i set?Absolutely,and you should be responsible for where you're bullet travels.
If you are setting traps on logging roads,do you not think you should carry some responsibility?Why not set them in peoples yard?Heck,not you're fault if they don't see it.

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=bayou;420162][

Its legal to let them run around. And yes lots of areas have it posted about sleders bikers etc just like people post areas that theres no hunting or its private propery. Its not like 100 yrs ago lots of people use the outdoors to recreate for different reasons.

Whose responsibility is when a dog running loose gets injured/killed? I'd guess that most accidental dog deaths are caused by being run over by a vehicle. Is it the drivers fault?

This world is full of hazards, so people should take responsibility for thier own safety.

Acually there is around 8

Good to hear you have taken the steps to make yourself aware of traplines and any associated hazards they may contain.

kyleklassen
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Absolutely,and you should be responsible for where you're bullet travels.
If you are setting traps on logging roads,do you not think you should carry some responsibility?Why not set them in peoples yard?Heck,not you're fault if they don't see it.because that would be illegal

Blainer
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Nobody is saying its someone elses responibility to keep them safe. Your missing the point. People dont want someone else to endanger their safety.

Joe schmo running their dog or hiking with their kid up a logging road is not going to worry about traps. Most would have no idea they are out there. Their dogs and kids are also going to run all over on and off the trail. Its tough to say well its their fault for not being educated as like i said most have no idea. I think its the trappers responsibility to set in an area the public is not going to access or as said mark the area clearly.

Gatehouse im not following your arguements. Comparing a slippery rock to a leg hold really? Questioning if its safe to let kids walk on a road? I think it was clear he wasnt talking about unsupervised on a freeway. I think he meant supervised on a deactivated logging road, spur road ect. The issue seems like a molehill to you but im sure to the parents its not something they want to happen again.

I think trapping has a time and place and the time and place is getting narrower with so many out in the bush these days. Those that do trap need to make sure they are doing so responsibly. I would hate to see someone seeing these threads and walking out in the bush tossing traps around being not properly educated on predator numbers,public safety and their responsibility. Hunting you choose exactly what you harvest and you have more control over how its done.
Thankyou
I'm done arguing,but think you expressed you're opinion well and I feel the same way.

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
]

They probably don't have any idea of half the hazards out there. WHy is it not up to them to educate themselves?

I'll try to explain this a little more, so maybe you can follow- There are many hazards out there for dogs, children and adults. Some of them are man made, some are not. FOr your own safety, excercising some caution when walking in the woods is a good idea.

Slippery rocks and roads have injured and killed far more children and adults than traps have. Which is why this issue is a molehill. I bet a child gets killed by a car every day in north america. How often is one getting caught in a foot hold trap?

I think trapping has a time and place and the time and place is getting narrower with so many out in the bush these days. Those that do trap need to make sure they are doing so responsibly. I would hate to see someone seeing these threads and walking out in the bush tossing traps around being not properly educated on predator numbers,public safety and their responsibility.

Well, they woudl be breaking the law if they did....

killemall
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
]

They probably don't have any idea of half the hazards out there. WHy is it not up to them to educate themselves?

I'll try to explain this a little more, so maybe you can follow- There are many hazards out there for dogs, children and adults. Some of them are man made, some are not. FOr your own safety, excercising some caution when walking in the woods is a good idea.

Slippery rocks and roads have injured and killed far more children and adults than traps have. Which is why this issue is a molehill. I bet a child gets killed by a car every day in north america. How often is one getting caught in a foot hold trap?

Well, they woudl be breaking the law if they did....

So maybe i can follow? Good one ill try and leave out being childish even though im the noob and your the mod.Back to topic

Most are aware of the hazards although i agree not all of them. Traplines are not common knowledge to the public like predators, cars ,cliffs ect. That is why they are hard to compare. aswell most people excercise caution but honestly who watches where they take every single step.

Again its not a molehill. Yes its not as large of issue as car accidents but that doesnt mean we shouldnt discuss it because its not that common. Its a discussion board.

Gateholio
03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
]
]So maybe i can follow[/B]? Good one ill try and leave out being childish even though im the noob and your the mod.Back to topic

Did you not say this?

Gatehouse im not following your arguement

Most are aware of the hazards although i agree not all of them. Traplines are not common knowledge to the public like predators, cars ,cliffs ect. That is why they are hard to compare. aswell most people excercise caution but honestly who watches where they take every single step.

WHose fault is it that a person is unaware of all the hazards they may encounter?

Again its not a molehill. Yes its not as large of issue as car accidents but that doesnt mean we shouldnt discuss it because its not that common. Its a discussion board.

Actually, it *is* a molehill. It's one incident. We get one unsubstantiated report of a girl getting caught "right on a road" and all of a sudden everyone wants signage and wants someone else responsible for thier safety.:rolleyes:

Discuss all you want- Can't change the fact that people getting caught in lawful traps is really a non issue in BC.

proguide66
03-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Well proguide Ive been trying to stay outa your threads but I think you are makeing trappers and hunters look bad more and more with your comments Im only guessing by what your insinuating by saying what risks there is by letting dogs rip around on public land during hunting season, and if someone is mistaken them for a wolf they really shouldnt be hunting to start with. For one you said public land so it is open for every one to recreate in and dogs can be loose through lots of the hunting and trapping seasons. I fell all lines should be marked with signage stating that there is killing traps in area if trappers have nothing to hide they shouldnt worry but from what Ive seen they dont want people to know there in the area not because there scared of loosing traps but scared that people will see what may be really going on. Like I said befor you have to be out there to see it. I am not against trapping but have seen to much illegal stuff dealing with it that feel there should be some changes in the regs. It is a thing of the past in may areas just like you say and show in your threads many dont even run there lines any more lots justwant to hang on to them for the cabins which they use at other times. I know of many that get there 200 worth of fur to keep there lines but arnt even taken it off there line.Not having to check snares/killing traps for 14 days and you have stated and showing pictures that animals are not always caught properly or killed so I feel it should be changed, pretty sure it was 7 days when I trapped and I felt that was to long and checked every 3.
I have to deal with lots of different groups in my recreating in the outdoors form hunters,trappers,loggers,skidooers, skiers,hikers,quaders,antigroups etc etc Ifind it hard and try to see all points but dont want my activitys shut down because of others.
WELL....whew......see this little post has created some poop huh?.....

1st.....my sisters neighbor's daughter hit the trap.....all i know is what I wrote......who knows , might be a poacher and not a trapper......might have been known info on here already?....hhmmm..obviously something for some to chuk around a bit....

2nd...a personal attack on me from you Byou..hmm...." cult leader"..?..hmm..." 14 days to check killing sets"..hmm...." trappers and hunters look bad more and more with your comments"...." going to hurt the cause more "......
Get your head out of your flat ass......( probably flat from not doin shit)...

THE LAW states you have to check every 14 days..72 for foot traps.... " Mr. Cult leader" doesnt state this.....( I am actually out there every 2 days by personal choice)

yes , sometimes the game isnt dispatched the way we wish in a trap...just like the dude that breaks an animals back and makes it scream..like the gun that blows both front legs off at the knees cause he shot too low.ect ect....goes with the turff......I set out to generate interest in predator control.....a part of our hunting in this province that needs to be addressed from time to time.....also to show that in order to get a problem takin care of , WE can also be part of the solution.....instead of sitting on our asses typin useless shit on the internet hoping it gets better on its own in time for YOUR hunting next season....... I started the other thread you are referring to knowing it would take some flack...wich I'm ready to face..alone or not......and am going to show EVERY flavour of the topic to my best ability...maybe I could hide the 'living catches' and 'pretend' it doesnt happen...you know Byou , the pussy way?...I think you do.....as well , the wolf trapping thread was a success...I stated through the whole thing I am not an expert but am looking for more knowledge and willing to share what I have...wich I did...wich nailed wolves...wich was the goal..as well generated interest in the same....

I dont need any hero cookies ( the bag is full anyway)......if you or anyone wants to attack and get personal with me I'm VERY willing to fight back....but before you take on the attack.....make sure you are clear on your facts before you go flingin shit blindly due to your head up your ass.......

lineofsight
03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Good points on both sides.

Natural dangerous objects (slippery rocks, dead fall, fire swamps) are not intended to do harm. Some man-made hazards (logging trucks) can certainly do harm even if unintentional.

Traps are designed to cause harm - doesnt that difference create a level of accountability in the trapper? Could be argued that if follow the regs (like a driver or a hunter) then met your responsibilities.

Can someone post a picture of what these traps look like when set? Would an adult or kid see the trap if know to look for it (would a sign make a difference?). Google images unhelpful.

In any event, am sending this link http://www.terrierman.com/traprelease.htm to a number of friends who hike with their dogs and have even less knowledge of traps than I do (which is just about none). So despite the disagreement this thread may do good.

bayou
03-02-2009, 07:09 AM
[quote=proguide66;420266]WELL....whew......see this little post has created some poop huh?.....

1st.....my sisters neighbor's daughter hit the trap.....all i know is what I wrote......who knows , might be a poacher and not a trapper......might have been known info on here already?....hhmmm..obviously something for some to chuk around a bit....

2nd...a personal attack on me from you Byou..hmm...." cult leader"..?..hmm..." 14 days to check killing sets"..hmm...." trappers and hunters look bad more and more with your comments"...." going to hurt the cause more "......
By the look of the amount of posts would think its you and your buddy that do more sitting.
THE LAW states you have to check every 14 days..72 for foot traps.... " Mr. Cult leader" doesnt state this.....( I am actually out there every 2 days by personal choice)
I didnt say it was you and dont forget for non-killing or holding traps on private land its 24hrs

yes , sometimes the game isnt dispatched the way we wish in a trap...just like the dude that breaks an animals back and makes it scream..like the gun that blows both front legs off at the knees cause he shot too low.ect ect....goes with the turff......I set out to generate interest in predator control.....a part of our hunting in this province that needs to be addressed from time to time.....also to show that in order to get a problem takin care of , WE can also be part of the solution.....instead of sitting on our asses typin useless shit on the internet hoping it gets better on its own in time for YOUR hunting next season....... I started the other thread you are referring to knowing it would take some flack...wich I'm ready to face..alone or not......and am going to show EVERY flavour of the topic to my best ability...maybe I could hide the 'living catches' and 'pretend' it doesnt happen...you know Byou , the pussy way?...I think you do.....as well , the wolf trapping thread was a success...I stated through the whole thing I am not an expert but am looking for more knowledge and willing to share what I have...wich I did...wich nailed wolves...wich was the goal..as well generated interest in the same....

I dont need any hero cookies ( the bag is full anyway)......if you or anyone wants to attack and get personal with me I'm VERY willing to fight back....but before you take on the attack.....make sure you are clear on your facts before you go flingin shit blindly due to your head up your ass.......
Boy musta been a bad day on the line what facts are wrong lkie I said just my opinion.

Walksalot
03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
It is a trappers right to trap as he/she wishes on crown land. It is the trappers responsibility to tend to and manage the fur bearing animals on his/her trap line. If it were not for the trappers wild animal populations would go uncontrolled and people would be complaining about the number of coyotes around and the threat it poses. I highly doubt a trapper would set a trap right beside a road as the trapper runs the risk of people tampering with his/her traps. If a person enjoys taking their family and pets into the woods it might be a good idea for them to familiarize themselves with the trapping seasons in their area and be cognizant of the fact there might be trapping activity on the crown land they are recreating.

proguide66
03-02-2009, 10:51 AM
[quote=proguide66;420266]WELL....whew......see this little post has created some poop huh?.....

By the look of the amount of posts would think its you and your buddy that do more sitting.
I didnt say it was you and dont forget for non-killing or holding traps on private land its 24hrs

Boy musta been a bad day on the line what facts are wrong lkie I said just my opinion.
It was actually a great day in the woods ( yet again) trying to make a positive difference..only to come home to face a personal attack BY YOU ..your words have a cinsistent DIS- encouraging effect on those who read them...why would such a weak and underdeveloped character even bother posting such negative shit on a public forum?...your negative attitude shines on here.....for that any future comments from you will be seen with blind eyes...I'm going to stick on the up side and continue to make a positive difference.

TRACKnTRAIL
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM

There are so many possible routes onto our trapline I would have to spend more time putting up signs than traps. In my opinion, anyone witha little outdoor education could tell if the area is being actively trapped.

2slow
03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Well I am going to put my opinion into the mix and I am pretty sure that I will not be the only one that shares this view point.
I personally do not like seeing any animal trapped, although I have found the wolf trapping thread to be very informative. From what I can see most of the kills in a snare trap seem to take some time and struggle on the animals part to do themselves in. This goes against what I was taught as a hunter to try to kill as quickly as possible. The foot traps as far as I am concerned should not be used at all even if they supposedly don't hurt the animal the stress that it goes through while waiting to be dispatched to me is unacceptable. Sitting out for a couple of days as a predator unable to protect yourself or get away is no way to go.
As a hunter what the thread has done for me is to make me watch where I put my feet when I am out in the woods. I can honestly say that in all my years of hunting, that up until following this thread, I have never watched out for foot traps while I am stalking through the woods but I will be from now on.
As I said at the start this is just my opinion but I do believe it is shared by many hunters on this website. Hunting and trapping are not the same and can't be compared. During a hunt if I make a bad shot and shoot a deers legs off as referred to in an above post I can make a quick follow up shot to dispatch the animal. Suffering over and done with in a matter of minutes as opposed to days. If I shoot a dog mistaking it for a wolf that is my fault for not giving a positive ID before I pulled the trigger. If a trapper catches a dog in their trap "oh well they should have known better" does not cut it. We live in a society where we have 80% or better of the outdoor users unfamiliar with the hazards that are out there. Public opinion is what drives the laws of the land and if little Jenny gets her foot caught in a trap do you think the public is going to say oh it was her fault for not watching where she is putting her feet.. NO the public is going to say why the hell is anyone trapping anywhere near where little jenny was walking.. The days of trapping in areas where there are multiple resource users in the area is a thing of the past.
Again only one mans opinion

karlgotch
03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
My 2 cents...

The majortiy of outdoor users do their hiking, etc in the spring/summer/fall...we run our trap lines in the winter. Odds are if you're out wandering around on an active trapline in the winter, in an area where there may be leg-holds set - you're on snowshoes. Ever step in a leghold wearing a 50'' x 12'' shoe? it's not real dangerous.:roll:

My point is the odds of getting nailed in a trap are about like getting struck by lightning.

How many of you who are getting your panties in a knot over this have ever heard of an incident like this one? In all my years, I never have. Aside from that, none of you know the facts, just some exaggerated spin-offs. Yet some of you are jumping all over proguide, who has nothing to do with this incident, other than bringing it to your attention and giving you something to bitch about. Not to mention the up-in-arms shouts for regulation changes - posting signs for an active line?? Gimme a break

The guy has done a good job to encourage trapping, the second oldest profession in Canada:wink:, and he gets billed as a cult leader? Then it turns in to a discussion over the ethics of trapping - holy hell you guys. Some you need to educate yourselves a little on the subject before spouting.

proguide66
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
You should look more closely at what you read on the wolf thread. I'll bet the two wolves caught in the snares died just as fast or faster than a lung shot big game animal.
I respect your opinion.... I'll bet you or someone comes up with some other method of predator control wich is more efficient and ' apealing' you will be rich in no time!!;) in the meantime , what would you suggest happen in a rural community where wolves are over populated and eating pets off peoples porch's ??.

Personally , I would be ALL OVER any new methods...trudging through the snow and crap during the winter sucks.....could be doing lots of other fun shit.......but who would take care of the problem?

beastman
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Id like to take this opportunity to thank the men who founded this country on the avails of trapping.
People seem to forget this.

O CANADA!!!

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Trappers are so easy to hate, and by so many people, including hunters.
Whenever you mention the "T" word, most people instantly picture an antique bear trap with teeth, and some poor helpless critter chewing its leg off...

Well guess what, technology has not left trapping behind. Just as firearms/bows have evolved from the 1800's, so have traps. Padded jaws, off-set jaws, springs incorporated into ancor chains, cam-loc snares with tension springs, to name a few. Heck, even coni bear traps have improved in leaps and bounds, since there introduction around the 50's.

As to the comment about stress on trapped animals, I suggest you quit watching PETA adds. You see how dishonestly they portray hunters; what makes you think they would portray trappers any differently??

Fact: The 2 most stressfull times for a critter are when it is first caught and when the trapper shows up to dispatch it. I have observed trapped animals through binoculars to see for myself. They eat the bait at the set, they lick the snow for water and they even lay down and sleep. All is well until they become aware of my presence, but even then they usually just crouch down and stare at me until I dispatch them.

It will be a sad day, if/when trapping is banned. Mostly because the anti's will be able to focus even more attention/resources on the next group in line.....HUNTERS

2slow
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Proguide66 I do commend you for all the time you have taken in running your trap line, the money invested and the fact that you have stepped up to the plate to help thin out the predators. My opinion in no way was meant to be offensive. To the other guys on here that find it offensive and get their panties in a bunch its just an opinion, nothing more. I am not forcing it on anyone or asking anyone to change what they are doing. It does not make me think trappers are evil. Just because I disagree with someone does not mean I would not buy him a beer and sit and BS with them.

That is the problem with most discussions on this website is that they turn into a bash session instead of remaining what it should be. A group of like minded people who can discuss/disagree with out turning it into a brawl in the backyard (that's what family get togethers are for):smile:

If i could figure out a better way for predator control then I would include that in the opinion. As it is, trapping is probably the most efficient way to accomplish predator control. That does not mean I like it.

That being said I do not see how a trap line can be run in the same area that other outdoor enthusiasts use on a regular basis without some form of warning being posted. It can't possibly be left up to the uninformed dog walker or hiker to even think of the fact that they may be strolling over someones traps. In the society we live in where everything seems to turn to litigation I would think that it would be in the trappers best interest to post some sort of warning sign up as I believe proguide66 has done in some of his set areas. We live in a society where you can spill hot coffee on yourself then sue Mcdonalds for not telling you it was hot. What do you think would happen to a trapper if he was found by a court not to have taken what the non hunting/trapping judge considers minimal steps to protect the general public.

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Honestly, in today's society, if you put a big warning sign at the start of the access road to your trapline and someone's dog did get caught, they would argue that the sign wasn't close enough to the trap or they missed the sign all together. You know, if something negative happens, someone else must be to blame.

Trapper's are out in the bush at the most inhospitable time of year, far from tourist season and civilization, so I don't think it's too much to ask for a little latitude/respect from the public, in regards to legally setting traps to control predator #'s and make a little money at the same time. Where I trap, I'm active from mid Nov - late Feb, the other 8 1/2 warmer months my line is trap free.

Phil A. Bowl
03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
How about i set my guns up in the bush with a motion detector ..... does this make sense...

proguide66
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Proguide66 I do commend you for all the time you have taken in running your trap line, the money invested and the fact that you have stepped up to the plate to help thin out the predators. My opinion in no way was meant to be offensive. To the other guys on here that find it offensive and get their panties in a bunch its just an opinion, nothing more. I am not forcing it on anyone or asking anyone to change what they are doing. It does not make me think trappers are evil. Just because I disagree with someone does not mean I would not buy him a beer and sit and BS with them.

That is the problem with most discussions on this website is that they turn into a bash session instead of remaining what it should be. A group of like minded people who can discuss/disagree with out turning it into a brawl in the backyard (that's what family get togethers are for):smile:

If i could figure out a better way for predator control then I would include that in the opinion. As it is, trapping is probably the most efficient way to accomplish predator control. That does not mean I like it.

That being said I do not see how a trap line can be run in the same area that other outdoor enthusiasts use on a regular basis without some form of warning being posted. It can't possibly be left up to the uninformed dog walker or hiker to even think of the fact that they may be strolling over someones traps. In the society we live in where everything seems to turn to litigation I would think that it would be in the trappers best interest to post some sort of warning sign up as I believe proguide66 has done in some of his set areas. We live in a society where you can spill hot coffee on yourself then sue Mcdonalds for not telling you it was hot. What do you think would happen to a trapper if he was found by a court not to have taken what the non hunting/trapping judge considers minimal steps to protect the general public.
No worries 2slow.... your post never came across as offensive ...freindly input is eagerly encouraged and accepted ;-)
Did you say BEER ?:biggrin:

Gateholio
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
How about i set my guns up in the bush with a motion detector ..... does this make sense...

Set guns are specifically prohibited.

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Some of the posters in this thread are reafirming why I don't put warning signs near my sets.

If you're putting a trapper using 6" diameter foot hold traps, on the same level as a criminal using set guns and wires strung across trails, you don't deserve the courtesy you so desperately seek....

SHACK
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow, this one has sure taken off. As I said in my previous posts, I have absolutely nothing against trappers, trapping, and to the contrary I believe it is a very viable method of predator control, and a way for a fella to maybe make a few bucks.
I in turn have learned from reading this that it seems to be most trap lines are set in the winter months...makes sense to me, and it is not a time of year that I am activity hunting birds. All I expect as an outdoor enthusiast is a little respect like was said earlier on in this thread from a trappers point of view. Should I have to Carry a set of side cutters to free my dog should it become snared? Is it my fault if I am running my dogs in the thick for grouse, off the beaten path and a snare or trap entangles one? I think not. I don't think the big issue for me is leg hold traps, more the "quick" killing traps, that may not give a person enough time to set their beloved pet free. Those types of traps should without question be marked or posted to some degree, so I can make an informed decision to hunt elsewhere.
Rest assured the "letting your dogs run wild" type of comment is not going far with me, I keep my dogs close enough to see them in most cases, and always in control, and I do understand that there is an inherent risk with any type of outdoor activity, but the risk has to be measured. Bears, cats, trucks, quads, dirt bikes they are all out there, and I try to keep my senses sharp for such hazards, but traps are exactly that "TRAPS" (noun)
A DEVICE FOR CATCHING AND HOLDING ANIMALS.
ANY STATAGEM FOR BETRAYING, TRICKING, OR EXPOSING AN UNSUSPECTING PERSON, ANIMAL, OR GROUP.

By its own definition, a trap is not something we are expecting or knowingly putting yourself in the way of.

Now don't get me wrong, I have only ever seen 2 leg hold traps in all my time in the field and I do not believe that I will have the misfortune of loosing a pet in one, heck I would probably have better luck with the lotto! I am just saying HMmmmmmmm, some human set hazards should be somehow marked.
They don't open up a hole in a highway and say its your tough luck if you drive into it because driving has its hazards now do they! People at work or working must sign there work areas if it posses a hazard!

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
The fact that traplines are essentially "mini management units" is in itself a safety feature. A trapper can only buy, set and maintain so many traps. Trapping season is nothing like hunting season, where any B.C. resident with a licence can go participate, and set traps on any piece of crown land they desire. By the same token, there is a heightened sense of responsibility by a trapper to maintain a healthy trap line, as he/she has no competiton, save other predators and possibly the odd poacher.

There is no money in kids and pets.....so a trapper setting traps in areas where that is a real possibility, is highly unlikely, aside from the fact that his/her name is attached to that piece of ground, if something did happen.

Gr8 white hunter
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
maybe they should make it mandaory to stamp the trappers trap line licence number onto all thier traps so the CO know who to look for in a case like this.What do you think?????

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I think the criminals won't comply, just the same as the abortion, Canada calls the "gun registry"

I think registered trap lines go far enough. A name on a trap would still do nothing to prove who set it, or if it was stolen and then re-set in a knew location. I've had traps stolen over the years, and I'm sure glad my name/phone number etc. wasn't stamped on em'.

mark
03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Wow, Im amazed at the people who actually think that this is a real danger???
This is the only time in my life Ive ever heard of this happening and now people are worried????
I think your 10 times more likely, to be eaten by a pack of wolves in an area where there are no traps, than you are to step in one! Hence trapping equals safer woods!
Probably 1000 times more likely to die from an auto accident, but we all do it everyday!
Keep up the good work guys!!!

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks Mark.

And a 1000 x's less likely would be the understatement of the century. Less you run around the woods on all fours, in the dead of winter, and are addicted to rotten meat and skunk essence...........(GRIN)

Blainer
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks Mark.

And a 1000 x's less likely would be the understatement of the century. Less you run around the woods on all fours, in the dead of winter, and are addicted to rotten meat and skunk essence...........(GRIN)I believe when this thread was started,it indicated the trap was set on a logging road.I'm not against trapping,actually like following proguide66 thread,but stupidity is another thing all together.I'm quite certain those odd's would increase if all trappers set up on logging roads.I understand you are defending trapping,but it appears that it was the assinign set up of one trapper that created the problem.

nomad
03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Wow! This sure turned out to be an interesting read! Started out simple enough then turned into a bash. However, I sure appreciate the well articulated responses of RiverOtter , ProGuide and Gatehouse. Well said guys! Thanks for the educated responses! I was reading along and found myself wondering if I should be more carefull/concerned where I take the family and dog with all these traps out there! Wait a minute...this is getting to be like the city! So many things to avoid being hurt by! NOoooo.... still safer in the bush! Just think about that for a minute! I'd still let my dog loose in the bush (that's when we change his name to cougar bait) and not worry about him (of course he is a part of the family and yes a considerable investment). But I immediately jump out the door to find him if he gets out of the yard for fear of him getting hit by a car! Likewise for the kids! The bush is still a safer place! Everywhere has it's hazards, that's what makes it exciting and adventurous! If in the city or the bush you've got to educate yourself! There are people everywhere and unfortunately they still get hit by huge, moving, well lit, licensed vehicles! This is the first I've ever heard of someone getting caught in a trap! Point is the few human made hazards in the vast wilderness we enjoy is still no reason to fly off the handle and start changing all the rules to 're'protect and give comfort to the few that have had an unusual mishap!!!

Can't wait for this year's hunting and fishing and all it's wonderful new rules and regs! Still going to love it just the same!

rollingrock
03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I thought trapping was part of hunting and still think it is. I really enjoyed wolf trapping thread.

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Nomad, appreciate the "common sense" post.

As an aside, I'm still very suspect of a "trapper" setting a trap in the middle of a logging road. I know more than a few other trappers, and none of us have enough money to leave expensive hard ware in the middle of a logging road......Not to mention the chance of catching a critter in that location would be sliiiiim to zero at best....

03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
could be worse - you could live beside this woman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEhc4zHXJo

Walksalot
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Well I am going to put my opinion into the mix and I am pretty sure that I will not be the only one that shares this view point.
I personally do not like seeing any animal trapped, although I have found the wolf trapping thread to be very informative. From what I can see most of the kills in a snare trap seem to take some time and struggle on the animals part to do themselves in. This goes against what I was taught as a hunter to try to kill as quickly as possible. The foot traps as far as I am concerned should not be used at all even if they supposedly don't hurt the animal the stress that it goes through while waiting to be dispatched to me is unacceptable. Sitting out for a couple of days as a predator unable to protect yourself or get away is no way to go.
As a hunter what the thread has done for me is to make me watch where I put my feet when I am out in the woods. I can honestly say that in all my years of hunting, that up until following this thread, I have never watched out for foot traps while I am stalking through the woods but I will be from now on.
As I said at the start this is just my opinion but I do believe it is shared by many hunters on this website.
Hunting and trapping are not the same and can't be compared. During a hunt if I make a bad shot and shoot a deers legs off as referred to in an above post I can make a quick follow up shot to dispatch the animal. Suffering over and done with in a matter of minutes as opposed to days. If I shoot a dog mistaking it for a wolf that is my fault for not giving a positive ID before I pulled the trigger. If a trapper catches a dog in their trap "oh well they should have known better" does not cut it. We live in a society where we have 80% or better of the outdoor users unfamiliar with the hazards that are out there. Public opinion is what drives the laws of the land and if little Jenny gets her foot caught in a trap do you think the public is going to say oh it was her fault for not watching where she is putting her feet.. NO the public is going to say why the hell is anyone trapping anywhere near where little jenny was walking.. The days of trapping in areas where there are multiple resource users in the area is a thing of the past.
Again only one mans opinion

Actually it can. Hunting maintains a balance between prey and predator animals and avoids the peaks and crashes experienced in and uncontrolled environment. The trapper maintains a balance between many of the other species and helps avoid the same peaks and valleys in the populations.

GoatGuy
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Brings new meaning to road hunting.:shock:

GoatGuy
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Actually it can. Hunting maintains a balance between prey and predator animals and avoids the peaks and crashes experienced in and uncontrolled environment.
Avoids or encourages?

Gateholio
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Congrats. The single post of the year that has done more to discredit trapping than any of the wolf trapping fiasco. You done good. The power of advertising.

How has it discredited legitimate trapping? If someone set a trap on a main road they are an idiot. If the girl got caught in a legitimate trap, it's a freak occurrence. There is no trapper that wants to catch a child.

What wolf trapping fiasco are you referring to? If you consider Proguides wolf trapping thread "a fiasco" then you haven't been paying attention to the large amount of people that have found it educational, interesting, and encouraging.

Hotwheels81
03-02-2009, 11:16 PM
i fully support leg hold trap's and snares... its easy to sit on the soap box and say its more humane to shoot an animal but fact is unless you have NVG and months to spend stalking predators you will never get close to them unless by fluke/luck... i have heard the argument dozens of times against shooting or trapping predators but you talk to people who live in bad areas who watch there cat's and dog's eaten by them and they will be the first one's to lay out a few pounds of burger laced with warfarin in vain hope there children can play safely in there backyard unsupervised in the future....

i wont support the trapper for not putting up some signage in the area warning of hidden dangers but at the same time had that child been mauled by a cougar or a wolf i know everyone would sing another tune.

like it or not death is not always swift and peacefull, accept it.

proguide66
03-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Congrats. The single post of the year that has done more to discredit trapping than any of the wolf trapping fiasco. You done good. The power of advertising.

oh boy , quick , get Barbie a tissue.....at least you are consistent with absolute negative shit...always quick to pull the ' judge trigger'...lurking on the internet to HOPEFULLY discredit someone or call them on their knowledge...and NEVER be first to offer up some positive encouraging words of any kind...tryin yet again to be ' The Judge'...living life damned frustrated with out getting the respect you wish you had....
You sound like your twin sister Byou when he said , " the person must have been one of my followers"....shit...you miserable dudes kill me....:lol::lol:

bayou
03-03-2009, 07:16 AM
oh boy , quick , get Barbie a tissue.....at least you are consistent with absolute negative shit...always quick to pull the ' judge trigger'...lurking on the internet to HOPEFULLY discredit someone or call them on their knowledge...and NEVER be first to offer up some positive encouraging words of any kind...tryin yet again to be ' The Judge'...living life damned frustrated with out getting the respect you wish you had....
You sound like your twin sister Byou when he said , " the person must have been one of my followers"....shit...you miserable dudes kill me....:lol::lol:

Wow and Nomad thinks your responses are articulated and educated well everyone is allowed there opinion. You should really slow down and read what people write I said maybe he was one of your followers not must have been totally different.
I beleive you mentioned (could be wrong)that you are knew to trapping and looking for info. Well some people are giving ideas that may help appease the idea of trapping to the rest of the public. Like I have said there is many recreation groups that use the outdoors now and they all have to try and get along and this may have to take some changes in the regs etc. by some. again just my opinion.
I would also maybe suggest some anger managment classes on the days off from the line seems to be some issues.

happygilmore
03-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Who knows if this is the whole story! I don't see why anyone would put a trap on a road! It makes no sense! what was the trap attached to on the road?
More likely the girl saw the guys setup and wandered in currious... still sad.
Or some hippie found the trappers setup and decided to move his trap to the road to try to catch the trapper.

Walksalot
03-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Avoids or encourages?

With an air of cautious optimism we use the word avoids.

sir_brady
03-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Who knows if this is the whole story! I don't see why anyone would put a trap on a road! It makes no sense! what was the trap attached to on the road?

I agree! I am amazed at how quickly something like this turns into a bash fest!

proguide66
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Wow and Nomad thinks your responses are articulated and educated well everyone is allowed there opinion. You should really slow down and read what people write I said maybe he was one of your followers not must have been totally different.
I beleive you mentioned (could be wrong)that you are knew to trapping and looking for info. Well some people are giving ideas that may help appease the idea of trapping to the rest of the public. Like I have said there is many recreation groups that use the outdoors now and they all have to try and get along and this may have to take some changes in the regs etc. by some. again just my opinion.
I would also maybe suggest some anger managment classes on the days off from the line seems to be some issues.
lol....no anger here Cindy...you took it upon yourself to go full thrust with an attack on me.....deal with the outcome.....I have said time and time again " good freindly , positive feedback eagerly encouraged" ....seems you and your sister have a hard time with 'good and positive' and recieve a reaction well deserved :wink:.....( each stroke of the keyboard I'm laughin my ass off):lol:

RiverOtter
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Welcome to the world of trapping.....

I quit counting the number of times I've had people go off on me. For no other reason than I had a trap in hand, standing up to my chest in 5 degree water, making a beaver set.
The fact that there are trees chewed up within striking distance of a someones house or water running into someones basement, due to a dam, is always lost on them.

Of course they always have a better way to deal with the problem, but are never willing to get into the water and show me how it's done..........:-P

mark
03-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the world of trapping.....

I quit counting the number of times I've had people go off on me. For no other reason than I had a trap in hand, standing up to my chest in 5 degree water, making a beaver set.
The fact that there are trees chewed up within striking distance of a someones house or water running into someones basement, due to a dam, is always lost on them.

Of course they always have a better way to deal with the problem, but are never willing to get into the water and show me how it's done..........:-P

No $h!t! Kinda like the bunny hugging morons here in kelowna!
So many people really need a huge slap in head to get it!

Seabass
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow, quite a talk going on here.

First off, I feel sorry for the little girl.

Second. There is too much speculation and not enough facts to base or to even attempt to form an opinion om this. To much here say, and statments that don't make sence. ie not true.

To sum it up. Be careful and aware of your surondings and your responiblitys. The only person you should ever count on is yourself for your or your familys safey. Pointing the finger after the fact is redundent.

Have a good day y'all

Cheers

Seabass

ryanb
03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I think many on this site have a similar sentiment as me towards this issue. I have nothing against trapping. I'm not going to lose any sleep over a wolf sitting in a leghold for a few days while it waits to be dispatched...nature can be (and is) a brutal place and trapping and hunting don't differ much in that respect.

What I do take issue with is that there seems to be a determined eagerness for trappers not to take responsibility for the increased hazards that they are creating in the woods. You are putting objects in the forest whose purpose is to kill or permanently trap whatever becomes trapped in them. After you have set the trap, you have no control over what will happen with that trap in your absence. You may take measures to ensure the safety of the public, or you may not....but what strikes me is the determined insistence by many of you that you bear no such responsibility, that these hazards should be the responsibility of the public to avoid.

I was never worried about myself or my dog getting nailed by a trap until pro-guide's thread. In it I see some photos from areas I go for hikes with my dog in the summer and hunt in the fall. Then I see photos of snares set right alongside a road in some willows...emphasizing how hard they are to see and that no one is the wiser....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30520&page=5

With that said, I actually liked your thread a lot pro-guide, and found it extremely interesting. But, I think unless trappers at least take the initiative in protecting the public...more bad press will ensue, which appears to be the last thing trapping needs these days.

ryanb
03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Just to add to the last post:

Originally Posted by sir brady

Originally Posted by happygilmore http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=420992#post420992)

Originally Posted by RiverOtter
Nomad, appreciate the "common sense" post.

As an aside, I'm still very suspect of a "trapper" setting a trap in the middle of a logging road. I know more than a few other trappers, and none of us have enough money to leave expensive hard ware in the middle of a logging road......Not to mention the chance of catching a critter in that location would be sliiiiim to zero at best....

Originally Posted by Gatehouse
If the trap was placed ON a logging road by a trapper, then I'd say he was irresponsible.

If the kid was running around in the bush, I'd say it's one of the many hazards that could be out there, like cliffs, snow covered holes, wet logs, slippery rocks, etc.

etc...you get the point

Jagermeister
03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I spoke with this trapper on Saturday and he was pulling the last of his traps on that day and that was from the Sawmill Main area. His notice of trapping activity were very conspicuously posted on this road and I suspect that it would be for the same up Jamieson as well and he indicated that he was pulling his signs as well.
This trapper uses leg hold traps for wolves, so if a person were caught in a leg hold trap, that person would have to be out along the trapline to have stumbled on to it. I know this trapper uses a snowmachine to get around on his line, so it's not likely to be set along the road in an easy access area. It's not the trapper's fault that a person gets caught, it's the victim or his charge that is at fault for not paying attention to posted signage. The trapper is doing a legitimate occupation.

Gateholio
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I think many on this site have a similar sentiment as me towards this issue. I have nothing against trapping. I'm not going to lose any sleep over a wolf sitting in a leghold for a few days while it waits to be dispatched...nature can be (and is) a brutal place and trapping and hunting don't differ much in that respect.

What I do take issue with is that there seems to be a determined eagerness for trappers not to take responsibility for the increased hazards that they are creating in the woods. You are putting objects in the forest whose purpose is to kill or permanently trap whatever becomes trapped in them. After you have set the trap, you have no control over what will happen with that trap in your absence. You may take measures to ensure the safety of the public, or you may not....but what strikes me is the determined insistence by many of you that you bear no such responsibility, that these hazards should be the responsibility of the public to avoid.

I was never worried about myself or my dog getting nailed by a trap until pro-guide's thread. In it I see some photos from areas I go for hikes with my dog in the summer and hunt in the fall. Then I see photos of snares set right alongside a road in some willows...emphasizing how hard they are to see and that no one is the wiser....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30520&page=5

With that said, I actually liked your thread a lot pro-guide, and found it extremely interesting. But, I think unless trappers at least take the initiative in protecting the public...more bad press will ensue, which appears to be the last thing trapping needs these days.

How many people are actually being caught in snares/traps in BC per year?

How many dogs are caught each year in BC?

How many of these dogs were actually under the supervision of the owners?

How many people get injured while in the bush in other ways other than traps per year?

How many dogs get killed or injured in other ways per year?

Is there a real problem? Or is this a made up problem?

ryanb
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't honestly know if its a problem Gatehouse. I'd immagine it's not a real big problem, but it is a big enough problem that it has made me worried for my dog (and if I had kids, I'd be worried for them as well) and this news of this girl being caught only seemed to confirm my worries. Anyways, I feel I've said my piece...everyone be careful out there and good luck to the trappers for a profitable year.

proguide66
03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't honestly know if its a problem Gatehouse. I'd immagine it's not a real big problem, but it is a big enough problem that it has made me worried for my dog (and if I had kids, I'd be worried for them as well) and this news of this girl being caught only seemed to confirm my worries. Anyways, I feel I've said my piece...everyone be careful out there and good luck to the trappers for a profitable year.
Just for your worries of our areas , I am the only one active around here. I am up the Ryan ( where the public doesnt have access , as well where the willow patch was you mentioned) the neighbering farmers know I am up there and what I am doing , as well have sledded in to say hi. I am also in the bottom of Mackenzie Basin..where as well , there is no sledding and as well no hiking during the winter trapping months in there..as well I 'was' up on the private property on the meager mainline before Mnt. Pauline...also where I placed 3 'in your face' signs..( wich worked perfectly)..so..you should feel safe now !;)......we DO , however , have a poacher or two setting snares near a road up the medeaws...has caught a dog already near a house...wich is also in the bounderies of one of the lines I am trapping.( the CO's are on to them)....so...legal trappers seem to rarely be any kind of problem....usually POACHERS......who knows , maybe the dude in Kamloops is a poacher?......anyway....quick freindly note for a concerned resident..:grin:

bayou
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Quickly I can think of 6 not all in one year though, 4 trapped 2 shot. Probably worst one was were the trapper wanted the person charged for taking his trap were actually the person did not know how to get the 330 conibear off his dogs neck but was able to get cable off tree so raced it to the vet to try and save dog but was to late. another case the person was able to get trap off then removed other traps and was charged which was justifiable but I also beleive the trapper could have used better judgement on were he set traps.
Depends what you classify supervison none of the dogs were on a leash some of them were in controlable distance
How many people get injured while in the bush in other ways other than traps per year?
Dont know
Dont know
If there getting caught in traps and shot I would call it a made problem.Like I said before Im not against trapping but against some of the methods and regs and feel there is some things that can be done to help all user groups.

Gateholio
03-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Quickly I can think of 6 not all in one year though, 4 trapped 2 shot. Probably worst one was were the trapper wanted the person charged for taking his trap were actually the person did not know how to get the 330 conibear off his dogs neck but was able to get cable off tree so raced it to the vet to try and save dog but was to late. another case the person was able to get trap off then removed other traps and was charged which was justifiable but I also beleive the trapper could have used better judgement on were he set traps.
Depends what you classify supervison none of the dogs were on a leash some of them were in controlable distance
Dont know
Dont know
If there getting caught in traps and shot I would call it a made problem.Like I said before Im not against trapping but against some of the methods and regs and feel there is some things that can be done to help all user groups
So you know of 4 dogs that ran afoul of legitimate traps in a unspecified time frame. And you know of zero humans. ( I am assuming they were legit)

How many dogs or humans encountered other hazards and died or where injured in this unspecified time frame? I'd guess quite a few more.

As I said, it's probably not much of an issue.

The best solution for everyone is to be aware of your surroundings and don't let Rover run loose. Rover doesn't stop at red lights and he can't read signs, anyway.

ryanb
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Just for your worries of our areas , I am the only one active around here. I am up the Ryan ( where the public doesnt have access , as well where the willow patch was you mentioned) the neighbering farmers know I am up there and what I am doing , as well have sledded in to say hi. I am also in the bottom of Mackenzie Basin..where as well , there is no sledding and as well no hiking during the winter trapping months in there..as well I 'was' up on the private property on the meager mainline before Mnt. Pauline...also where I placed 3 'in your face' signs..( wich worked perfectly)..so..you should feel safe now !;)......we DO , however , have a poacher or two setting snares near a road up the medeaws...has caught a dog already near a house...wich is also in the bounderies of one of the lines I am trapping.( the CO's are on to them)....so...legal trappers seem to rarely be any kind of problem....usually POACHERS......who knows , maybe the dude in Kamloops is a poacher?......anyway....quick freindly note for a concerned resident..:grin:

Thanks for the info Proguide. I have seen a few old traps in other areas around here (or there, since im not here...or there right now), but they looked several years old and were all small-game stuff.

bayou
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;421374]So you know of 4 dogs that ran afoul of legitimate traps in a unspecified time frame. And you know of zero humans. ( I am assuming they were legit)

How many dogs or humans encountered other hazards and died or where injured in this unspecified time frame? I'd guess quite a few more.
In the same area 1 that I know of
Not to you but it is to other
The best solution for everyone is to be aware of your surroundings and don't let Rover run loose. Rover doesn't stop at red lights and he can't read signs, anyway. Many of the people that use the outdoors are not even aware of hunting and trapping seasons so it is hard for them to know what may be out there but does not mean they should not be able to enjoy it. Actually some seeing eye dogs are pretty well trained althouth dont know if they can tell colour,and theres a couple of moderators on this site that admit they cant/dont read or follow the regs either so I would put my trust in the dogs.

Gateholio
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;421374]So you know of 4 dogs that ran afoul of legitimate traps in a unspecified time frame. And you know of zero humans. ( I am assuming they were legit)

In the same area 1 that I know of
Not to you but it is to other
The best solution for everyone is to be aware of your surroundings and don't let Rover run loose. Rover doesn't stop at red lights and he can't read signs, anyway. Many of the people that use the outdoors are not even aware of hunting and trapping seasons so it is hard for them to know what may be out there but does not mean they should not be able to enjoy it.

The point you fail to grasp is that there are WELL KNOWN hazards out there (such as roads) and yet people and dogs continue to get run over by cars at a much higher rate than anybody is stepping into legitimate traps! We could plaster signs all over the woods but people and dogs will still get hurt!

When we start seeing widespread problems relating to legitimate traps, maybe I'll start to believe that we have "safety concerns" regarding that.

However, I doubt it's going to happen any time soon.

Actually some seeing eye dogs are pretty well trained althouth dont know if they can tell colour,and theres a couple of moderators on this site that admit they cant/dont read or follow the regs either so I would put my trust in the dogs.It's always interesting to look up some peoples post history. I think we have now found the ultimate HBC Saint.

Bayous history is basically that of someone trying to "nail" other HBC members. An encouraging word from him is quite rare, having understanding for another's situation is non existant. Mostly his posts are him playing P.C.O...."Private Conservation Officer":tongue:

Always trying to find someone who has "done wrong" according to him. I'ts somewhat pathetic that a person has made his main focus on HBC digging up dirt and speaking negatively about others....

bayou
03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
[quote=bayou;421395]

The point you fail to grasp is that there are WELL KNOWN hazards out there (such as roads) and yet people and dogs continue to get run over by cars at a much higher rate than anybody is stepping into legitimate traps! We could plaster signs all over the woods but people and dogs will still get hurt!

When we start seeing widespread problems relating to legitimate traps, maybe I'll start to believe that we have "safety concerns" regarding that.

However, I doubt it's going to happen any time soon.

It's always interesting to look up some peoples post history. I think we have now found the ultimate HBC Saint.

Bayous history is basically that of someone trying to "nail" other HBC members.
Not trying to nail any one put people continue to mention illegal activity and no one seems to care, it just happens you have mentioned 3 times now, does any one ever really sit down and read the regs. You would think hunters would have some concern but IMO most dont.
An encouraging word from him is quite rare, having understanding for another's situation is non existant.And you do Mostly his posts are him playing P.C.O...."Private Conservation Officer":tongue:

Always trying to find someone who has "done wrong" according to him. I'ts somewhat pathetic that a person has made his main focus on HBC digging up dirt and speaking negatively about others....
Not speaking negative the point is a few on this thread have said people should be aware of the bush and whats going on should beable to tell theres trapping in area etc and many city folk dont and why should they be expected to when the hunter or so called outdoor people cant even read or follow there rules.
For negative comments should read what some of your friends write, any on your gun deal thread. Or terms like bunny hugging morons, idiots, head up your ass dont sound to positive to me. I wont use the word pathetic but find it weird your attacks on those that dont agree with you.

Gateholio
03-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Bayou, your post history belies your words.

A large percentage of your posts are you trying to pin something on someone...Everybody posts some negative stuff, but when that is the main focus of your posts on HBC, yes, I find it pathetic.

Anyone that cares to look at your post history can see that....A person doesn't need to play amateur CO to see that.

bayou
03-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Gatehouse
Again with the negativity dont you ever say anything nice.
I also find it pretty childish what your trying to do but thats ok.
Since this threads off topic now I will bring something else up I find your aviator a bad representation for hunters as well I know some young people taken core now and have to take there gun handling, pretty sure they will be told they should never point a gun loaded or not at someone. In fact I know one instuctor that said its a fail if the gun is pointed at any one during the test. Now if its not a gun I apoligize but if it is just think it puts a bad image on hunters espically from a guy in your position and with the big push for recrutment hunters need to be looked on in a positive light.
Of course just my opinion

killemall
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;421411]
Not speaking negative the point is a few on this thread have said people should be aware of the bush and whats going on should beable to tell theres trapping in area etc and many city folk dont and why should they be expected to when the hunter or so called outdoor people cant even read or follow there rules.
For negative comments should read what some of your friends write, any on your gun deal thread. Or terms like bunny hugging morons, idiots, head up your ass dont sound to positive to me. I wont use the word pathetic but find it weird your attacks on those that dont agree with you.

Well put. As already stated i have nothing against trappers as long as they know what they are doing. I dont give much input on the site as there are ushually others with a better input. I do however post when i see something that i have a strong disagreement with. Yes maybe not the most contributing approach but it gives two sides to alot of issues. It contributes alot more to the site than it would seem.

As for gatehouse i agree is seems for a mod his post are not contributing at all. From personal attacks to questioning why we are discussing such a useless topic. Yes this issue is not as important as vehicle accidents but its a hunting site!? what do you expect. Stop trying to ruin a thread because you disagree with it. I have found the thread educating and the trappers are giving good input on the topic.

Back to topic

GoatGuy
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I will bring something else up I find your aviator a bad representation for hunters as well

Who's his aviator and how is the aviator a bad representation for hunters????

proguide66
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Gatehouse
I also find it pretty childish what your trying to do but thats ok.
Since this threads off topic now I will bring something else up I find your aviator a bad representation for hunters as well I know some young people taken core now and have to take there gun handling, pretty sure they will be told they should never point a gun loaded or not at someone. In fact I know one instuctor that said its a fail if the gun is pointed at any one during the test. Now if its not a gun I apoligize but if it is just think it puts a bad image on hunters espically from a guy in your position and with the big push for recrutment hunters need to be looked on in a positive light.

Once again making it clear that your malnourished character needs help bad........ever heard of a tripod Cindy?........maybe get some professional help elsewhere...leave the happy people alone.....:biggrin:

Elkhound
03-03-2009, 11:36 PM
I think we should register all traps.......if it saves even 1 life right:roll:

Gateholio
03-03-2009, 11:38 PM
[
Gatehouse
I also find it pretty childish what your trying to do but thats ok.]

I find it childish that you go out of your way so often to insinuate that other members of HBC are breaking laws. Come up with some court documents involving convictions and maybe you will have some credibility.

Another unsubstanstiated insinuation about an HBC member! You are consistent at least...

You have no idea what the context of the photo is, yet you seek to judge.

I might also remind you of the hard reality that you are looking at a picture, and there is not an actual firearm being pointed through your computer screen.

As for gatehouse i agree is seems for a mod his post are not contributing at all. From personal attacks to questioning why we are discussing such a useless topic. Yes this issue is not as important as vehicle accidents but its a hunting site!? what do you expect.
Stop trying to ruin a thread because you disagree with it. I have found the thread educating and the trappers are giving good input on the topic.
Back to topic

If you think giving my opinion on a topic is ruining it, you better go back to lurking, and only reading what you agree with.

Gateholio
03-03-2009, 11:46 PM
I think we should register all traps.......if it saves even 1 life right:roll:

Register traps, put up signage when we are hunting or trapping and hold peoples hands when they cross the street...:tongue:

We should start by banning skiing and sledding, those outdoor activities have claimed more lives just this year than getting caught in a trap has ever caused in BC...

By all means, let's make everything safe for everyone, all the time.:smile:

cainer
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
I love these threads! Can we get an HBC octagon?

killemall
03-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Gatehouse in everyone of your posts you said this is not an issue or this is not really a problem. If it isnt then why is there 13 pages on it? If you have useful input then give it. If you think its a bad topic then dont post on it and ruin the thread.

All of your posts are garbage and i am not saying this because we disagree. Alot of people with different opinions than mine have given well thought our responses that give their side some good points. Read your last 10 posts.You are the mod and have turned a good thread into a joke.

Ps. you aviator is you pointing a gun at someone with a camera. Dont question him pointing that out. Everyone knows you dont do that no matter the context.

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
]
Gatehouse in everyone of your posts you said this is not an issue or this is not really a problem. If it isnt then why is there 13 pages on it? If you have useful input then give it. If you think its a bad topic then dont post on it and ruin the thread.

Why are there 13 pages on it? Because it's a freak occurrence and somewhat sensational. And just like most sensational freak occurrences, some peopel rush in with knee jerk solutions to a non existant problem.

All of your posts are garbage and i am not saying this because we disagree. Alot of people with different opinions than mine have given well thought our responses that give their side some good points. Read your last 10 posts.You are the mod and have turned a good thread into a joke.

You have the right to not read my posts if you think they are garbage. You don't have the right to tell me that I cannot post. I have the right to point out the content of someone else's posts.It shouldn't be wrong to do that. After all- they wrote them in the first place. ;)

Ps. you aviator is you pointing a gun at someone with a camera. Dont question him pointing that out. Everyone knows you dont do that no matter the context.

No, my avatar is me pointing a gun at a camera. The picture was taken in 2008. Some time prior to 2008, someone invented tripods and self timers for cameras. ;)

Can you find the rule "don't point guns at cameras" in ANY firearms safety course? Maybe you can link me to it?

You are pretty good at jumping to conclusions and making unsubstantiated allegations, too...:tongue:

Johnnybear
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Since this threads off topic now I will bring something else up I find your aviator a bad representation for hunters as well I know some young people taken core now and have to take there gun handling, pretty sure they will be told they should never point a gun loaded or not at someone.

OMG. For Chr*st sake man it's a computer and he is aiming his gun at his own camera on a stump:mad:.

[

I might also remind you of the hard reality that you are looking at a picture, and there is not an actual firearm being pointed through your computer screen.

I saw this a couple of times now from some folks on this site. I think the pictures are kinda cool (now I'm a freak). Give your heads a shake. It's cyber space. They are not pointing a gun at you period. End of story.

cainer
03-04-2009, 12:32 AM

And you wonder why things get 'blown' out of proportion:lol:

...why would you assume he's pointing his rifle at someone? You really should give people the benefit of the doubt before throwing BS like that around.

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 12:34 AM
We can see it better in this picture.

If you look close, some people might find the humour in it...

*****WARNING DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU BELIEVE PHOTOS ON THE INTRAWEB CAN SHOOT REAL BOOLITS THROUGH CYBERSPACE***********

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/quickysheephunt08003.jpg

PGK
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, he is pointing his rifle at someone, it's not on a tripod. But really, besides the point.....carry on

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Well, he is pointing his rifle at someone, it's not on a tripod. But really, besides the point.....carry on

Hilarious...:tongue:

Stick to fish biology, you aren't much good at photo CSI:-P

PGK
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Hilarious...:tongue:

Stick to fish biology, you aren't much good at photo CSI:-P

I saw the original on facebook :tongue:

cainer
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
I love speculation-it makes these threads keep going...and going...did I mention I love these threads?

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 01:04 AM

Of course....:tongue::razz:

happygilmore
03-04-2009, 06:49 AM
OMG,
GATEHOUSE, STOP IT YOUR SCARING ME WITH YOUR AVATAR!

Who here has not looked down the barrel of a gun to check the lands? did you wet your pants?

Gate the gun doesn't scare me, I have a deep seeded fear of smiley faces.:-)

happygilmore
03-04-2009, 06:51 AM
If you look really close you can see he had his thumb in the barrel, so it's safe... worked for bugs bunny.;)

bayou
03-04-2009, 06:57 AM
[quote=Gatehouse;421504][

I find it childish that you go out of your way so often to insinuate that other members of HBC are breaking laws. Come up with some court documents involving convictions and maybe you will have some credibility.
Dont have to have convictions to have a law broken

Another unsubstanstiated insinuation about an HBC member! You are consistent at least...

Again you didnt read what I said. look at the terrible murders last year at the school in the states what does the media put on the news but face book pictures of the guy pointing what looks like a gun at a camera for pictures. There is people shot every year for showing something that looks like a weapon some times its just a plastic toy or water gun or hand under a coat.
Like I said it is just my opinion for I dont think putting any negative light on hunting/trapping etc is good in this day and age.

If you think giving my opinion on a topic is ruining it, you better go back to lurking, and only reading what you agree with.

bayou
03-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Once again making it clear that your malnourished character needs help bad........ever heard of a tripod Cindy?........maybe get some professional help elsewhere...leave the happy people alone.....:biggrin:
What happened to the blind eye theroy.

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 08:41 AM
]
[quote=Gatehouse;421504][

Dont have to have convictions to have a law broken

Guilty until proven innocent in the court of Bayou. Priceless...:tongue:

Again you didnt read what I said. look at the terrible murders last year at the school in the states what does the media put on the news but face book pictures of the guy pointing what looks like a gun at a camera for pictures. There is people shot every year for showing something that looks like a weapon some times its just a plastic toy or water gun or hand under a coat.
Like I said it is just my opinion for I dont think putting any negative light on hunting/trapping etc is good in this day and age.

I read what you said, you are just horribly wrong, once again.:wink:

You are trying to make some sort of connection between a hunter on a mountain with a hunting rifle and some mass murderer. I'd find that offensive if I didn't find it so pathetic:rolleyes:

I think what puts negative lights on hunting is people like you, always trying to find the negative, always searching for some way to point a finger at someone, always looking for the worst. My avatar is a perfect example of this; Jump to a conclusion, make some insinuation and point a finger saying that it is "bad" for hunting...Because Bayou says so....

Before any of us post pictures of hunters with guns, dead animals or just guns, maybe we shoudl check with you to see if they meet your standards.:tongue:

proguide66
03-04-2009, 08:54 AM

Dude........if you saw this pic before then you also saw the other 8 photos with Gate and I both in them......taken from MY camera ( wich is probably worth more than Byou's 'single wide paradise)....on a tripod......

Holy shit.......there's some insane shit goin on here.......:roll:

proguide66
03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
I love these threads! Can we get an HBC octagon?
ALLLL OVER IT , I miss the ring bad right now..........:twisted:

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
No HBC octagon for me....We all have guns. Wouldn't want to point one at someone.:|

SHACK
03-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Holly crap, Ive got the popcorn out now, beer in a cooler beside the desk, and have called up a few buddies to come over and watch the game! ;)

BTW
Opinions are like arse holes, we all got em, and they stink!

killemall
03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Nobody is scared its just a bad practice to points guns at people and it was brought up when he originally posted the pic.I dont get why the mod is the guy posting usless thread ending garbage. Iwould ignore your posts if they werent every other post on a thread i found interesting. You already managed to get dana(one of the best posters) to leave with your joke attitude. To top it off your ushually the one protecting those who post about immoral,borderline legal or illegal stuff. Again its not giving your opinion that ruined the thread its coming accross immature in every post and posting garbage that does not contribute a thing to either arguement.

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Nobody is scared its just a bad practice to points guns at people and it was brought up when he originally posted the pic.

I agree it's bad practice to point guns at people. However, a picture on the internet does not constitute pointing a gun at a person! You need to seperate reality from the intraweb! :)

I dont get why the mod is the guy posting usless thread ending garbage. Iwould ignore your posts if they werent every other post on a thread i found interesting. You already managed to get dana(one of the best posters) to leave with your joke attitude.
To top it off your ushually the one protecting those who post about immoral,borderline legal or illegal stuff. Again its not giving your opinion that ruined the thread its coming accross immature in every post and posting garbage that does not contribute a thing to either arguement.

Oh sure, everything is my fault because I point out the reality of an issue. Your arguments don't hold water. If you want to keep debating the topic, I'll keep asking for your evidence of how big a problem people getting caught in traps are. If you want to get the thread back on track, do some research on how many people get caught in LEGITIMATE traps in BC, and get back to us. I'm still not convinced that the girl in this case was caught in a legitimate trap or the exact location of the trap.

PS Dana is still here.:tongue:

And...Why are you responding to what you feel is useless garbage?:tongue:

lineofsight
03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I saw this gun pointed at me on an avatar, ducked, and hurt my head by hitting it on the desk, now everything makes sense. The traps were set by someone in Arizona trying to catch a black tail mullie.

RiverOtter
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I saw this gun pointed at me on an avatar, ducked, and hurt my head by hitting it on the desk, now everything makes sense.

I nearly suffered the same fate, but luckily I noticed the 3M tape on the end of the barrel, and realised I wasn't in danger..............:biggrin:

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I nearly suffered the same fate, but luckily I noticed the 3M tape on the end of the barrel, and realised I wasn't in danger..............:biggrin:

the tape is a safety feature. It will stop the bullet. :mrgreen:

horshur
03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't speak regarding keeping a kid out of trap however there are ways of educating dogs to avoid them if anyone is interested I could hunt up that info.....

In my experience it would hardly be worth the effort...never has it been an issue with any of my dogs who are at liberty alot be it when we worked cattle on the range to freecasting of my hounds.

I think mostly "WE" let sentiment overrule reality.....Dogs despite the strong feelings that the public seems to have for them are just dogs...

I'll piss many off but what the hell...modern man in the 21st century have realy skewed sentiment towards pets particularily canines

they have funerals for them..cremate them...put insurance on them...dress them...remortgage home for vet bills...they domestize working dogs(cruel and unusual treatment IMHO)....overfeed and underwork(CAUT again)

THIS IS NOT HEALTHY!!!!

RiverOtter
03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
You insensitive ba$turd, I bet you didn't even cry when they shot Ole Yeller.......:cry:.................:lol::lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I can't speak regarding keeping a kid out of trap however there are ways of educating dogs to avoid them if anyone is interested I could hunt up that info.....

In my experience it would hardly be worth the effort...never has it been an issue with any of my dogs who are at liberty alot be it when we worked cattle on the range to freecasting of my hounds.

I think mostly "WE" let sentiment overrule reality.....Dogs despite the strong feelings that the public seems to have for them are just dogs...

I'll piss many off but what the hell...modern man in the 21st century have realy skewed sentiment towards pets particularily canines

they have funerals for them..cremate them...put insurance on them...dress them...remortgage home for vet bills...they domestize working dogs(cruel and unusual treatment IMHO)....overfeed and underwork(CAUT again)

THIS IS NOT HEALTHY!!!!

Amen.

SSS

lineofsight
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM

I saw the tape too - black tactical tape, made me duck that much faster and hit head that much harder.

RiverOtter
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I've since swung my monitor 180` and am currently viewing posts via vanity mirror......to fend untaped muzzles.............:lol::lol:

7mag700
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
OK a quick Google search netted this news story:

Dog caught in trap has officials searching for ordinances (11/08/2006)
By Cynthya Porter

A pleasant walk on the trails behind Holzinger Lodge turned traumatic Friday, leaving a boy and a dog injured and law enforcement officers scouring ordinances to determine how laws could have better protected the pair.
Diane Spalding was at work Friday while a personal care attendant took her sons, Shane, 11, and Luke, 9, and their seven-month-old puppy to the trails to enjoy the temperate day.
The group had been walking for an hour or so when Bosco, a hound and Lab mix, wandered about five feet off the trail and started to howl.
Around his front paw was a spring trap that had been hidden in the leaves next to the fallen log it was anchored to. The trap was the no-kill toothless variety, designed to snap tight and hold an animal by a foot, and Bosco was frantic.
Shane got to the dog first and instinctively reached to free the puppy's leg from the mouth of the trap. But the hysterical animal bit his hands, leaving over a half-dozen puncture marks before the surprised child jumped away.
The aide tried repeatedly to dial Spalding at work, but a weak cell phone signal prevented the call over and over. After the aide moved down the hill the call finally went through, and the scene on the line when Spalding answered was enough to send waves of panic through any parent.
After receiving several failed calls, Spalding knew something was wrong from her post managing the Redmen's Club on Third Street. When the call finally came through all she could hear was her son screaming, a dog howling and a young personal aide frantic.
Spalding hung up and called 911, but it was hard to give officers enough information about how to find her sons. "I said I've got two boys on the hill behind Holzinger, one's been bit and our dog's in a trap," Spalding said. "I couldn't say exactly where they were, but I told them to get close to Holzinger Lodge and Woodlawn Cemetery and follow the screaming."
An officer on the West End responded first, and found a bleeding Shane running down the trail to find help.
The personal care attendant was farther up the hill with Luke, who Spalding said has autism, cannot speak, and was immune to the goings on around him.
Another walker had arrived on the scene about the same time as the first officer, and he offered a sweatshirt to cover the dog with while the group tried to remove the trap.
Spalding said once the trap was removed the scene calmed considerably. Her son's bites were examined and deemed likely not serious enough for stitches, and the dog soon was able to limp on the injured foot.
With some semblance of order restored, everyone's attention was turned to a more pressing question: What was an animal trap doing five feet off the path behind Holzinger Lodge?
It turns out, no one is quite sure yet.
As required by law, the trap contained a label with the name and address of the owner, who has been in contact with police since the incident. That owner appears to have the proper state licenses, Winona Police Department animal control officer Wendy Peterson said, although whether those licenses allow him to trap in that spot has yet to be determined.
The owner said he believed the trap was on Woodlawn Cemetery property, not city property, and Department of Natural Resources regulations permit trapping broadly unless a municipality has a specific ordinance against it.
In fact, according to DNR game warden Tom Hemker, it wouldn't matter under the state's eyes if the trap was on public or private land, as state trapping regulations do not distinguish between them. "There is nothing in the regulations that says I can't hunt Canada geese on Lake Winona, except that the city has ordinances against it," Hemker said.
Regulations for trapping include certain provisions regarding size and placement of traps, but those provisions typically only concern themselves with the trap's proximity to bodies of water or culverts and how frequently the trap must be checked.
State regulations protect trappers too, saying that no person may remove or tamper with a trap that is legally set, regardless of where that trap is.
Peterson said she is still combing through city files to determine whether there is an ordinance in place or not, and could not release the name of the trap's owner until her investigation is complete.
If there is no ordinance, the man is not in violation of any laws, Peterson said, although he certainly expressed regret when he learned of Friday's incident.
But Spalding insists and Peterson agrees that traps within the city limits are dangerous and if there is not an ordinance now, as far as Peterson is concerned, there should be. "If there is an ordinance I'm going to find it," Peterson said, "and if not I'm going to work on drafting one."
Peterson said she has heard past stories of officers encountering animal traps, but during her tenure since 1992 she has never encountered one.
Veterinarian Ken Chaffin, who treated Bosco, said this is not his first animal injured in a trap, but it is his first that was trapped in the city.
Bosco, who Chaffin called a nice dog that got really scared, will likely make a full recovery, although he has some nerve and tendon damage for the time being.
A trap like the one that snared Bosco could certainly break the leg of a smaller dog, Chaffin said, not to mention fingers or toes, depending on the shoes, if one were to stumble into it.
"I'm shocked by the location of the trap," he said. "This is certainly a very good dialogue for the city to have regarding not just pet safety but the safety of people hiking and biking."
Spalding said she learned of at least one other family who had a dog caught in a trap a couple of years ago behind Holzinger.
According to Spalding, everyone on the scene agreed the place where the trap was located was very close to the public trail, and if it was Woodlawn's property it was not marked as such in any way.
And since the woods contain no property lines, other traps, whether on private land or not, could present a land mine situation for any people or pets venturing into the unmarked woods.
Although whether the trap was on public or private property may be irrelevant to state regulations, it is highly relevant when it comes to determining liability for damages when people get hurt by the traps.
Spalding said she and her sons frequent the trails behind Holzinger and it never occurred to her someone could be setting traps in the woods there.
Spalding said she is grateful, knowing that things could have been much worse, but she is also angry. It is not merely the lost wages, vet bill or emergency room visit that has left her fuming, it is that an activity her sons love has been tainted. "It made me really sad to hear my son say that when he was running down the hill for help and he heard the sirens he kept thinking over and over, ‘Oh gosh, I hope they're looking for me.'" Spalding says she is not against trapping at all, but she has become a crusader against trapping in areas the public should be able to assume are safe. "If there are no ordinances, a person could have traps in Lake Park!" Spalding said. "That could have been anyone's kid or pet. I have nothing against trapping, I have it against where it's going to be a danger to people or pets." Spalding doesn't care what she has to do, whether it be speak at a City Council meeting or wage a public campaign until every last trap is gone from the city limits, but something is going to happen. "Something's going to be done before I'm done," she said.

http://www.winonapost.com/stock/functions/VDG_Pub/uploads/foresttrail2255.jpg
Photo by Cynthya Porter
This scenic path behind Holzinger Lodge is just part of a maze of popular trails that could contain hidden animal traps like the one discovered the hard way last Friday not far from this spot.

Copyright © 2009, Winona Post, All Rights Reserved.

I'm curious if this story changes anyone's opinion. I'm still forming my own. Is anyone working on getting more facts about what happened? Most importantly: Was the trap set in the middle of a road? If so, what road?

One thing I do know - this is a REALLY entertaining thread :biggrin:

7m7

Will
03-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Man I just read through this.......I really need a life I guess :???:

What the hell was this thread about anyways...........:lol:

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
OK a quick Google search netted this news story:

I'm curious if this story changes anyone's opinion. I'm still forming my own. Is anyone working on getting more facts about what happened? Most importantly: Was the trap set in the middle of a road? If so, what road?

7m7

That story is from Minnesota, 2 years ago. You might want to call up Cynthya Porter (the reporter) and ask if anything came of it in the last 2 years.:D

bayou
03-04-2009, 09:46 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;421635]][quote=bayou;421621]

Guilty until proven innocent in the court of Bayou. Priceless...:tongue:

No not really seems like the only thing that is true or real is if it comes from judge gatehouse. Any convictions on the gun sale yet or allready calling the guy guilty.

I read what you said, you are just horribly wrong, once again.:wink:

You are trying to make some sort of connection between a hunter on a mountain with a hunting rifle and some mass murderer. I'd find that offensive if I didn't find it so pathetic:rolleyes:
No saying what the media can do with an internet picture and how it can put a negative light on guns/hunting
I think what puts negative lights on hunting is people like you, always trying to find the negative, always searching for some way to point a finger at someone, always looking for the worst. My avatar is a perfect example of this; Jump to a conclusion, make some insinuation and point a finger saying that it is "bad" for hunting...Because Bayou says so....
No again just said it was my opinion but aparently only what you say is law
Before any of us post pictures of hunters with guns, dead animals or just guns, maybe we shoudl check with you to see if they meet your standards.:tongue:
No wrong again no one has to check with me your the moderator, and after reading your gun thread and a couple below there seems to be some very unstable people on here so i will step outa your little sand box and let this thread get back on topic. I will come back though.

bayou
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
[quote=7mag700;421861]OK a quick Google search netted this news story:

No my opinion is still the same not against trapping but think some methods and regs could be changed. With all the different user groups in the outdoors I see know problem with putting up signs. In my area some do some dont some have bben up for over 15 years with no problems, another use to then took them down last couple years and had traps stolen this year. They put up warnings for skidooers, skiers, hikers,bikers quaders,etc to warn them of dangers. Its even recomended on page 92 of the regs.
7m7

ElkMasterC
03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Proguide: HBC's new Jelvis !!

You're King of the Hit Count, Buddy!

You win $34 million theoretical Internet Dollars!

What's this thread about, anyway, and why won't it die?

(J/K, ProG...you know I'm a big fan of your work)

proguide66
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Proguide: HBC's new Jelvis !!

You're King of the Hit Count, Buddy!

You win $34 million theoretical Internet Dollars!

What's this thread about, anyway, and why won't it die?

(J/K, ProG...you know I'm a big fan of your work)
Dude , I dont know what to say !..:oops:.......but I hope Gate presents me with my award in his pink tootoo.( spelling?).....:biggrin:....9 i dont know what the thread is about!:lol:..but it sure revealed a couple sista's inner demons..:lol::lol::lol:.......and made me laugh my ass off all week!

Hope your jumpin to the wolf trapping " fiasco" soon to add an update!!;)

7mag700
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I apologize - I forgot to add: ...because without more facts this thread is kinda pointless.

...but still entertaining. Maybe a winter worth of cabin-fever really is setting in :shock:

7m7

Gateholio
03-04-2009, 10:57 PM
No not really seems like the only thing that is true or real is if it comes from judge gatehouse. Any convictions on the gun sale yet or allready calling the guy guilty./QUOTE]

This the best you can do? Myself and a number of other HBC members have corresponded with Darrin Lewis, the gun thief, where he said he had not paid me. Darrin made a police report that indicated he never paid me. We've got emails and PM's where he indicates this. Another pathetic attempt. Not that I am surprised, though ;)

[QUOTE]No saying what the media can do with an internet picture and how it can put a negative light on guns/hunting

We better remove all the pictures of dead animals form HBC then. Nothing gets the media whipped up like a picture of a dead bear:roll:

No again just said it was my opinion but aparently only what you say is law

BS- You pointed a finger at me for "pointing a gun at a person" without knowing what I had actually done. Just like you do on all your finger pointing threads...

No wrong again no one has to check with me your the moderator, and after reading your gun thread and a couple below there seems to be some very unstable people on here so i will step outa your little sand box and let this thread get back on topic. I will come back though.

You say that no one has to check with you, but you sure like to point the finger. As your post history clearly shows.:lol:

ElkMasterC
03-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Dude , I dont know what to say !..:oops:.......but I hope Gate presents me with my award in his pink tootoo.( spelling?).....:biggrin:....9 i dont know what the thread is about!:lol:..but it sure revealed a couple sista's inner demons..:lol::lol::lol:.......and made me laugh my ass off all week!

Hope your jumpin to the wolf trapping " fiasco" soon to add an update!!;)

Goin back in a few days...hope to have some good news and pics.

Need some wax, or are you off next week?

killemall
03-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Can a mod win beak of the year award?

Gateholio
03-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Can a mod win beak of the year award?

Wasn't it you that complained that the thread was going off topic? How is this post relevent to the topic?
:mrgreen:

Your post history is interesting too.....Are you sure HBC is the right website for you?

;)

bayou
03-05-2009, 07:32 AM
[quote=Gatehouse;422106][quote]No not really seems like the only thing that is true or real is if it comes from judge gatehouse. Any convictions on the gun sale yet or allready calling the guy guilty./QUOTE]

This the best you can do? Myself and a number of other HBC members have corresponded with Darrin Lewis, the gun thief, where he said he had not paid me. Darrin made a police report that indicated he never paid me. We've got emails and PM's where he indicates this. Another pathetic attempt. Not that I am surprised, though ;)
Stepping back in for a moment. Hey good enough for me to show how things are run here and by who. You have now entered judge gatehouses court room. Kinda contridicting to what you say but again your rules.
So a guy that hasnt made a payment but hasnt been convicted you call a thief.
Was wondering what you call a guy that shoots something without a tag or out of season.

We better remove all the pictures of dead animals form HBC then. Nothing gets the media whipped up like a picture of a dead bear:roll:

BS- You pointed a finger at me for "pointing a gun at a person" without knowing what I had actually done. Just like you do on all your finger pointing threads...

go back and reread it again maybe slower

You say that no one has to check with you, but you sure like to point the finger. As your post history clearly shows.:lol:
As yours shows you like confrentation and that your always right.

Stepping out again

Gateholio
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
[quote=Gatehouse;422106]
Stepping back in for a moment. Hey good enough for me to show how things are run here and by who. You have now entered judge gatehouses court room. Kinda contridicting to what you say but again your rules.
So a guy that hasnt made a payment but hasnt been convicted you call a thief.
Was wondering what you call a guy that shoots something without a tag or out of season.

Sure Bayou:roll:

There is a difference between something that a person has first hand, detailed knowledge of (the rifle theft) and something that you try to nail some guy with with no knowledge on, other than an internet post.(your finger pointing posts)

By all means, if you have specific, first hand knowledge (names, dates places, photographs, witnesses etc) of someone doing something illegal, by all means contact the CO's and post it here if you like. Other than that, it's just you making speculative insinuations.

As yours shows you like confrentation and that your always right.

Stepping out again

It's a discussion website. Debate and discussion is good. If you arent' capable of forming an intelligent, fact based position, it may seem that way.:wink:

proguide66
03-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Goin back in a few days...hope to have some good news and pics.

Need some wax, or are you off next week?
Thanks for that !.....I did some 'diggin' in the 'shop nightmare' and found a bit....going to have to shut her down around the 16th...flyin out on the 18....back in 3 weeks er so.......its SOOO shitty missin a wolf...had two solid wolf / snare misses and 3 foot traps sprung....damn...thats big #'s of deer....I hope I at LEAST get 2 more before I go....hope everyone gets some actually.....looks like our club might be funding 6 local members to get their trap license...wich in turn will create a BIG solid effort for next yr!:biggrin:.........oh , er , biiger " FIASCO" :roll::lol::lol::lol:........

ok boys ( and girl).back to fightin...:lol:

TIKA 300
03-05-2009, 09:51 AM
No $h!t! Kinda like the bunny hugging morons here in kelowna!
So many people really need a huge slap in head to get it!

With the beaver tail that was trapped......8)

RiverOtter
03-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Naw, the whole BEAVER..........:biggrin:

Elkhound
03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Well boys and girls I think we can stick a fork in this one...it's done LOL