PDA

View Full Version : Good News from Sako...

Singleshotneeded
03-01-2009, 01:51 PM
:smile: A lot of hunters are fans of the Sako 85, with it's accuracy and quality, but thought it's price tag of $1800 at WS was a bit high...
Well, Sako agrees, and are currently producing a new model, the A7, that
incorporates most of the features of the 85. It has a user-adjustable trigger, safety with bolt release, and detachable clip magazine. The match grade barrel is free floating, and it comes with Weaver scope mounts. The weight is 6.4 pounds, and it'll be available in all popular calibres. The synthetic and stainless A7 is factory guaranteed to shoot a five-shot, one inch group at 100 yards(MOA certified)...and should sell in Canada for $1100, $700 less than the 85. Definitely a rifle to consider for anyone shopping for a tack driver in time for next hunting season!:smile:

Brambles
03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
some guys on this site already own the A7. There was a post on this quite some time ago.

Singleshotneeded
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
:smile: I wasn't aware they were being sold yet here, they're pretty recent.
Maybe one or two of the guys that bought them can share their opinions on here, for the benefit of guys that are going to be shopping for a rifle this year? The A7 sounds like a pretty good deal for a guaranteed tack driver!

Dirty
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
They are ugly, haven't heard how they shoot.

blackwater
03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
They will shoot like all the Sako and Tikka's do...very well. I think the A7 is the same action as the Sako 75 with a couple modifications. They will probably have the guarantee of 3 shots in an inch at a 100yds like the Tikka. Still pretty pricey, but Rem, Win, Ruger etc are fast approaching that price range.

ElkMasterC
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I need that!

Singleshotneeded
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
:smile: Hey Blackwater, The A7 comes with a guarantee from Sako that it'll put five bullets in one inch at 100 yards...not bad!

mcrae
03-01-2009, 05:54 PM
From my previous post I was too lazy to type it all out again...

I bought a Sako A7 in 270 WSM and I will give you my thoughts on it....

First off if your not a fan of Tikka rifles move on up to the Sako 85 because you will not like the Sako A7. I really like Tikka rifles and for me buying the Sako A7 was in my mind getting an improved version of the Tikka T3. I was specifically looking for a factory light rifle in 270WSM. I had originally decided to buy a Tikka T3 but with the new prices at 900+ bucks for a T3 well that was hard to stomach....

I felt spending a couple hundred more for the Sako A7 from Prophet River was a good choice. The A7 still has allot of plastic. That doesn't bother me at all but it will bother some. The bolt has three lugs and the action is a little diffrent than the Tikka but its still all pretty close. The thing I really like is the little tab in front of the safety. You push it in and then you can open your bolt with the safety still on. Fit and finish was pretty much the same as any other Tikka T3 I have owned. It also comes with an accuracy guarantee.

I will admit at first I was a bit disappointed with the stock. Its basically exactly the same material as a Tikka T3, Plastic... I dunno no but I was expecting it to be a bit higher end. There are some cosmetic diffrences with the stock. The stock does have a cheek piece ( can't recall if my last T3 did or not) which is a plus for me. It is however not even close to being as nice as a Sako 75 Finnlight stock.

That being said I change guns like most guys change underwear and I can honestly see me hanging on to this rifle for a very long time. The rifle fits me well and its gonna see some nasty weather and long trips so its plastic and stainless are going to make it very easy to maintain. The stock has grown on me and I am very happy with it. I usually suffer from buyers remorse when I buy brand new guns but I had no such feelings with the Sako A7.

Mine is a 270WSM I felt it was a great balance between velocity and recoil and with deer being its primary use I think its a good choice for me.

todbartell
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Ive handled one. Seemed like a decent rifle, like a T3 but a bit nicer. Should be a hot seller, if only for the Sako name and a lower price tag

srupp
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
todbartell..I have the Sako 85..does the Sako 85 have the same barrel..'match grade "???

cheers

Steven

gerrygoat
03-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Is there still a "plastic" bolt stop like on the T3's? That was a deal breaker for me and the Tikka otherwise I would have a 6.5x55 LH stainless for hunting in the Charlottes.

Fisher-Dude
03-01-2009, 06:53 PM
The A7s are already all sold out. They were hot items when they first hit the dealers' shelves. Sheep hunters gobbled up the A7 270WSMs like Ultramagbob gobbles up red snappers.

I have a feeling I might go for the 85 Finnlight in a 270WSM though, just because. More likely, I'll probably have to buy whatever is available if I really want a 270WSM - not too many new Sako 85 Finnlights or A7s in Canada these days. If anyone sees a new Finnlight in 270WSM, please let me know!

todbartell
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
todbartell..I have the Sako 85..does the Sako 85 have the same barrel..'match grade "???

most likely the same barrel or very similar, same goes for Tikkas

The A7s are already all sold out. They were hot items when they first hit the dealers' shelves

the Canadian importer of Sako/Tikka actually hasn't received inventory yet of A7's. The only ones that came into the country were from the US