PDA

View Full Version : October Hunting Help

trucktoys
02-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Everyone:

I didn't think I would be able to hunt for White Tale Deer until I was retired. I live on Vancouver Island and am unable to get time off work in the fall... or at least I thought. I have been putting in a ton of overtime and the boss wasn't all that upset if I used some of it in October to go hunting. So here is my question. My hunting partner and I were thinking of some where around Kamloops... say a 200 to 300 km radius???? If we tried to go around Oct 9 for 5 days where would you recommend & why? I checked the regs and it looks like some areas also have moose and elk open also. Any thoughts about increasing the odds of coming home with more than a white tale?? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Where to get maps, camping spots, type of terrain we would be in, etc.

We both appreciate any information that you can give us to improve our fall hunting trip.

quadrakid
02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
if you do some more homework i think you will find the best place for whitetails in bc would be the peace country or the kootenays.have fun planning your trip.

quadrakid
02-28-2009, 10:57 PM
bc outdoors magazine puts out a hunting shooting edition each fall and gives hunting predictions as well as stats on how many animals come out of each area ,very handy info when planning hunts.

CJ-Jim
03-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Take a look at the post Re - Bucks Closed Caribou - you may want to rethink your time off booking - or look some where else ?:cry:

Slee
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
There arent too many white bums around the loops. If white tails are your thing then you guys should look at anouther spot. But if you didnt care there a pile of nice muley's around

GoatGuy
03-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Come to region 8, lots of wt's here. East side of the big lake is best.

Moosehunter64
03-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Take a look at the Rock Creek area just east of Osoyoos.I have hunted there for years and lots of whitetails there and any mulie buck is open at the same time when you want to go.I have taken a couple immature moose in there also and there are Elk in there too but I have only seen one legal bull in there at that time of year 6 point and better.There are lots of recreation sites up the christian valley and they are generaly well kept with outhouses.We tend to hunt farther up past the ranchs about 60 kms but 2 years ago the ranchers were asking people to come and hunt there properties because there were so many deer around.Its not really where you wanted to go but maybe take a look at it.There are places to rent along the road also hunting camps and guides.

trucktoys
03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the input. We did not have our hearts set on Kamloops, we just tried to pick a point that is not a super long drive from the ferries.... we didn't want to spend all our time driving was the thought. At this point in time North of Fort St. John feels to far to go???? Rock Creek, Midway, Grandforks, Christina Lake is an area we wouldn't hesitate to go to. 2 questions for Moosehunter64... where would I be able to find some maps of the area you are talking about and are ATVs not allowed there????

Singleshotneeded
03-02-2009, 01:38 AM
:smile: Hey trucktoys, If you head to Rock Creek and then north, up the Christian Valley, you'll find both whitetails and muleys... In October (1-20th) is perfect because you'll be able to shoot any buck you see!
There are plenty of forestry campsites, and many are off the main Christian Valley Road, which runs north-south and is the only road
you're not supposed to atv on. However, the only law you'll see
there is possibly a C.O., still, it may be best to camp off that road
if you're quadding. I believe further north up that road, past the
ranches...past Rendell Creek Road, you're fine with a quad.
I've taken both whitetails and muleys in that area, and seen elk
as well as moose. Your best bet for maps will be the Okanagan
Edition of the BC Backroad Mapbook, available everywhere, including
Canadian Tire and sporting goods stores. Your timing is a bit bad,
trucktoys, as far as the map book goes, as the new Okanagan Edition
of the BC Mapbooks is coming out in the spring of 2010. Have Fun!

mark
03-02-2009, 08:58 AM
All advise here is good and true, i will say that oct can be the toughest month for deer success from my experience. If you enjoy open country and lots of glassing Id take GG's advise and hunt the burn on okanagans eastside, we need help regulating the whitetale pop. anyway!

GoatGuy
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
You're allowed quads through most of Region 8.

As MM64 said the Christian Valley's busy but it's always a good bet for some meat. There's always piles of deer in that country.

Don't forget to put in for a flatop LEH before you come.

Spampy
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Coming from the coast, I'm taking a load of prawns with me. I hear they go a long way with the landowners. Any landowners in the Rock Creek area like prawns?

sawmill
03-26-2009, 05:56 AM
I love prawns!Come on over to Kimberley,for the first 2 weeks of the season,I find it the best hunting then.Lots of whities here.

hunter1947
03-26-2009, 06:17 AM
If it where me I would put in for LEH draws ,moose ,elk ,WT deer ,Mule deer and then see if you got picked form any then go from there.

A good place for moose and deer would be around Williams lake north.

Keep in mind that there is a GOS for deer in these areas.

Peace Country
03-26-2009, 06:51 AM
You should try to hunt the Peace region NE or SE of Dawson Creek lots of big WT. It a days drive but you would be very happy with what you see. If you can hunt in November try from November 9-16 they are everywhere up here.

island grown
03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Take a look at the Rock Creek area just east of Osoyoos.I have hunted there for years and lots of whitetails there and any mulie buck is open at the same time when you want to go.I have taken a couple immature moose in there also and there are Elk in there too but I have only seen one legal bull in there at that time of year 6 point and better.There are lots of recreation sites up the christian valley and they are generaly well kept with outhouses.We tend to hunt farther up past the ranchs about 60 kms but 2 years ago the ranchers were asking people to come and hunt there properties because there were so many deer around.Its not really where you wanted to go but maybe take a look at it.There are places to rent along the road also hunting camps and guides.

i have also been looking into doing a mainland hunt. i thought my hunting partner and i would go to Deka lake (5-1) but now you have me thinking about Osoyoo's. we were thinking Deka because we have a house to stay in there as a base camp but we also have a place in Oliver. does anyone have an opinion about the Oliver area. what might be around, mulies, wh. tails, moose, etc....

thanks

Spampy
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys, I think the Rock creek and Kettle Valley area is one of my favorite places in the planet.