PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bear 4-30

blaker_99
02-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I know i know there's a hundred of grizzly articles on here but I just got word that a hunting partner of mine was drawn for 4-30. I took a goat over in the same area a few years back but was wondering if anyone had any useful info for the area, tips, tricks or even general camping areas which we could take the truck and camper into. Hope everyone else is getting pumped up for the season to come cause I sure as heck am!!

blaker_99
03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Nobody has anything hey..... well i'll try and bump it again see if I can rustle anything up. Thanks guys and gals.

BearSniper
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi

I hate to see you without an answer so I'll try my best to do a "Jelvis".:-P

For starters, don't go before April 15th, snow is still falling up high and no serious melting yet.

Would suggest anything that is a green south facing slope on either side of the Lardeau or Trout lake drainages. Looking at Google Earth, you have a lot of ridges off the valleys west of Trout lake township. Looks like lots of "green" in there.

Hike in , if no FSR's, and glass the slopes. Thats about all I can suggest. If there's grizzlies in there, you'll see brown moving amongst the green.

We got ours last year in 4-38 [Mica creek] and the terrain and elevation looks the same as your area. Use no less than a 30-06 with 180 grain core lokt's.

Good luck and straight shooting

RiverOtter
03-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I had a draw in the bordering area last spring and it was well into May before much access was thawed out. This year is shaping up to be worse yet, unless we start getting lots of sun and warm temps. No snow mobiles in region 4 either, which is not much help. There are plenty of bears in the area though, you got that going for ya...

Stone Sheep Steve
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
4-30 isn't the best MU for south and south-west facing slides which is the first place to look "earlier" in the season when green is more limited or......with a later melt......

There are "some" S &SW facing slides in Goat Range Park but they look like they will require lots of sweat to get into..... may be worth it the effort.

Not really familar with that draw. Just googled it....so take this info for what it's worth.

SSS

irishbandit1
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I got the same draw and am hitting the reseach hard. If you want to compare notes some time let me know.

blaker_99
03-03-2009, 01:05 PM
well it's deffinettly a great start. thanks everyone for the input and info. We were thinking of heading over for a 5 day trip somewhere around may long weekend. I figure even with this mild-cold weather we've been having the sloped should be melted off enough and access should be suitable for the hunt. We both are heavy hikers and don't mind putting on the miles to get to the slides we need to. I can't wait to go shoud be an awsome trip. Thanks everyone for all the help.

tracker
03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
You might be too late by then ,I would go a week earlier than that even ,access is on thing but if the leaves start coming out on the trees and shrubs you will have a more difficult time in finding them..goodluck