PDA

View Full Version : 28 Feb 09 Island goose hunt

Marc
02-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Well John and I went to a new location going in blind so to speak as neither one of us had hunted the area before. We set up and all we had all morning was a pair of geese that skirted the decoys and landed about 100 yards away on the opposite side of the pond we were set up on. We called and called but couldn't convince the pair to come over for a visit.

We packed up and checked out a few more spots to see if maybe we could do some jump shooting and look for a possible spot for tomorrow morning. We did find a promising location holding some birds and will be heading back out first thing in the morning.

We came to one pond and you could see some geese sitting on a dike, we had permission to hunt this field so we worked our way around the pond to where we last saw the birds and climbed the dike and pushed the birds up. When the dust settled John asked me how I made out as I'm looking over at the 3 geese he managed to put on the water. I said I don't think I got any. He then said "then what's that in the middle of the pound doing the back stroke?" :biggrin: Sure enough there was a goose that fell that I never even noticed. I was to busy concentrating trying to bead on the geese without accidentally shooting the ducks that were on the pond crisscrossing between the geese as all hell broke loose.

I didn't realize until I got home and looked at the pictures that Marshall had picked up a hockey ball while I was getting the camera ready.:lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/goose_hunt_28_feb_2009.jpg

Gateholio
02-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Marc, I think you are officially a BC'er now...

You are wearing a Stanfields wool shirt!:smile:

thunderheart
02-28-2009, 04:38 PM
the grey stanny is the give away isnt it .. lol

field marshal
02-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Hmmm. dry gulching geese???
That must be an Easterner trick???
Cheers
Field Marshal.

PGK
02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Good shootin tex :mrgreen: Jump shootin's fun as hell

Marc
02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Marc, I think you are officially a BC'er now...

You are wearing a Stanfields wool shirt!:smile:

You want to know the funniest part about this? Stanfields are made in Nova Scotia and more BC'ers wear them here then people do on the east coast! :lol: I never owned one until I moved to BC.

Tanya
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
There off playing again this morning (I had to work :sad: ) I am sure they will report here upon their return.

Tanya
03-01-2009, 12:06 PM
The boys have returned. It appears they were somewhat successful.:razz:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/1003.jpg

Marc
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
The boys have returned. It appears they were somewhat successful.:razz:

Well we did twice as good as we did the day before. :biggrin: Morning started out with rain, then it went to fog, then it cleared up and it looked like the sun was going to come out. The dogs where wet and where starting to get impatient so we decided that "8 is enough" :mrgreen:

The greatest part of the hunt is when we started picking up the decoys, Mr Marshall decides to roll on some fresh goose shit from the day before. He now has a bath to look forward to after I clean up the birds and the house before my wife comes home.

Thanks again John for a great time this weekend!

Marc.