PDA

View Full Version : Merritt Boys....

Shoey
11-05-2005, 01:32 AM
I've noticed a lot of Merritt boys on here....

Here's my story in a nutshell...I was born and raised in Merritt, went to Bench Elementary in the late 80's. My father who was in the RCMP was transferred to the island in 1990, where I lived miserably until 2003 when I moved to Kamloops for the best year of my life, but sadly the way the cards fell, I'm stuck back on the Island right now...

I'm heading up in the spring, and I would like to fit a hunt in and maybe in the process plant some new roots in my home town.

Any takers?

PS: I still root for the Centennials! (Which was a bit of a go here in Victoria in Game 7)

BlacktailStalker
11-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Whats wrong with the Island?

Marc
11-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Yah, what's wrong with the Island?

Gateholio
11-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Every night when the last ferry leaves, you know you are trapped....

:grin: :p

Ronforca
11-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Try living in the Okanagan for a while and then be your own judge.I lived in
the Fraser Valley for 30 odd years and now like others you have to drag me
back there .I like the island.My daughter used to live in Uculet(cant spell it).
Have spent time on most of the island.Used to hunt in Nimkish valley among
other places.I like lots of heat and sunshine and hate snow and rain.O.K.
Also I like to live near where I can hunt lots of big game.
All right lets hear from you Islanders.:roll:

BlacktailStalker
11-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah the mainland is nice for big game, but its even nicer to go there from the Island for a moose trip, and a mulie trip every year, and maybe an otc elk hunt if you arent lucky enough to be drawn for the Rosies here. BUT when we arent hunting we get the worlds best salmon fishing, steelhead fishing and just the abundance of water alone makes it a nice place to be. I dont blame anyone for not coming to the island for 140lb blacktails though, unless its the challenge you want.

Marc
11-05-2005, 12:26 PM
You forgot to mention the subspeicies of black bears only found on Vancouver Island the blackus pumkinheadus. Seriously the Island has it's own subspecies of black bears and is one of the bears with the largest noggin. The Queens have their own subspeices as well and they have the biggest heads of all for the size of the bear.

You can see black bears on the Island right to the end of the season Dec 10th and they are out when the season opens in the spring 1st April.

Blacktails are probably the greatest challenge and the hardest species of deer to hunt so we've also got that going for us.

Oh did I forget to mention that Vancouver Island has the warmest climate in Canada. :biggrin:

Plus I've yet to shovel snow, though my lawn could do with a good mowing :mrgreen:

Marc.

Ronforca
11-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey this is fun.We are still picking strawberries(everbearing)although we had a frost last night.You have to be able to stand 40 deg. temp.in the summer and
the humidity is usually in yhe 20's and not the 90's so it is not so bad.
Here in the desert we seldom get rain or snow although it does get down to
-14 in the winter which is not very cold really.We had snow 3 or four times
last winter but not enough of the powerdy stuff that I could not sweep a path from the house to the shop with a broom.There are very few days that we can not work outside without having rain running down our neck.Been there
and done that.No ocean but some very big lakes that do not freeze in the winter.The fishing is not that bad.Next:-D

Shoey
11-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Geez, I have a couple of beers and tell everyone my life story...:lol:

Ronforca
11-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Is that all it takes or do you have to screw up your courage with beer.We are having fun here.Some of us.

lip_ripper00
11-05-2005, 02:38 PM
you want bears? North Van on garbage day
you want fish Fraser, Chilliwack ,Chelais rivers
you want deer,THE MOUNTAIN (steeleco and Ruger#1 are pretty tight liped onthis one! I know)
you want to view wild life? YOU CAN NOT BEAT DOWNTOWN AT 2 am!!:p
cheers Steve

Ronforca
11-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey Steve
I was doing this tongue in cheek also .don't want anyone to get too serious.
Looks like you know how to play the game.Thanks:|
Ron

Steeleco
11-05-2005, 06:16 PM
you want bears? North Van on garbage day
you want fish Fraser, Chilliwack ,Chelais rivers
you want deer,THE MOUNTAIN (steeleco and Ruger#1 are pretty tight liped onthis one! I know)
you want to view wild life? YOU CAN NOT BEAT DOWNTOWN AT 2 am!!:p
cheers Steve

Hey Steve, I want bears on the mountain, but they moved to North Van.!!

Besides there no secret's here, any mountain north of the Fraser has Deer, but I've hunted up there for 10 years and only ever got one. The blacktails have all the secrets. :roll::roll:

But seriously, I've seen more deer in the fields by Derby reach park, only 5 min from my house than I've ever seen in the mountains, but they know the farmer and he says NO. :x

ruger#1
11-05-2005, 06:31 PM
you want bears, im chaseing them away from my shed, and the mountain, im talking to steeleco, and were going to put a gate up. to keep the deer out, stupid things there eating all the ferns.and that stupid bear keeps dragging fish up the mountain, then it eats all the berries. and that stupid grouse, well hes just a stupid grouse. craps on my windsheild of my truck. am i angery, yes im very angery. but i can also take a joke.

3kills
11-05-2005, 07:20 PM
hey shoey...i was born and raised here maybe i know u whats ur name..and if u wanna go bear hunting in the spring if i m still around here i see about gettin a hunt together...

rollingrock
11-05-2005, 07:21 PM
What Mark and Dave know is actually no secret. Someone new to this area like me can gain access to all those spots they've been talking about, as long as you do your homework and have the necessary equipment to get into there, or you can be extremely fit enough to walk into those spots like what I did. :grin:

Yes, only blacktails know the secrets.

lip_ripper00
11-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I know, I'm just bitching ;) If it's not kids soccer or work the wife has somthing that needs to be done. But that's what I get for taking off for 3 weeks at time moose hunting :biggrin: I'll try to get out 1or 2 times before this season ends Steve

Steeleco
11-06-2005, 12:56 AM
100% Correct RRock, I know a whole bunch of spots that would be a great place to hang out, If I were a Deer???? They disagree.

It's like bears, the harder I want one the less I see.

Sorry Shoey, put some time in around Kentucky lake and pothole creek, lots of country and lots of deer, sometimes!!!

ruger#1
11-06-2005, 02:56 PM
shoey try the kane valley, used to see lot of deer there.

Steeleco
11-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I had a spot all picked out for White tail at the east end of the Kane, and bears everywhere. Even a Sow with 3 cubs, the cubs were big enough to have been shot, had they been on their own. But to no avail, the pine beatle and process to remove them beat me to it. Even down by Pike mtn, the forsest if falling faster than you can blink. But that should all make for some good area shortly.

Rob
11-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Spring bear season opens in the spring(:shock: ) So if your figurin on being here then stay in touch. Me and 3 kills'll be going out im sure.

Shoey
11-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Spring bear season opens in the spring(:shock: ) So if your figurin on being here then stay in touch. Me and 3 kills'll be going out im sure.

Definately!

Thanks.