PDA

View Full Version : Fishing guide caught and fined. DFO press release

MichelD
02-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Duncan Provincial Court has fined a fishing guide $11,100 for three charges of illegal fishing.

The majority of the fine dollars were directed to the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society to support rebuilding local salmon stocks, and the San Juan Enhancement Society to enhance chinook and coho salmon.

One Shot
02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Good for them:smile:. IMHO they should have siezed his boats:biggrin: etc. as further punishment as he is obviously a repeatable offender:mad: and that may diswade him from repeating again.

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Glad he got nailed but the fine is piddley, thats 5-6 days of work, big deal.

Life time guiding ban/recreation license ban, boat repo'd/auctioned and proceeds given to salmon enhancement and a $20,000 personal fine. Make it hurt.

I bet it cost more than $6k for fisheries' time on the water to catch him twice, so whats the point?

thunderheart
02-28-2009, 03:32 PM
agreed .. if you going bother charging him, make it a serious penalty....perhaps then others will pay attention

500grhollowpoint
02-28-2009, 06:17 PM
I bet it cost more than $6k for fisheries' time on the water to catch him twice, so whats the point?

The point of fines is not to fund enforcement. But I agree he should have had his liscence revoked and boat seized. And a way bigger fine. That's hardly a deterant.

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2009, 08:08 PM
500gr what I mean is why bother funding them in the first place if they're just going to dish out penalties that don't drive the issue home.

Johnnybear
02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Good for them for catching him (twice). Way too light of penalty. Especially for a repeat offender. I'm actually quite surprised the didn't take his boat (they sure should of):mad:. They need to get the message straight and get these guys off the water period. If they get serious enough with them maybe the other poachers will think twice.

mikethemilkman
03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
just wonder how mant times b4 he has done this? how many more people are doing it. no wonder are fishing is in such a state! good on the DFO one down how many more:|

358mag
03-01-2009, 12:10 PM
sounds like just another day of fishing out on the Swiftsure banks
to bad the DOF cant catch up with a few of them American charter boats the hit the banks hard

fireonethree
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Glad they caught him, but the fines are questionable for a repeat offender and for someone working as a professional representative in his area.

Shut the door totally this time.

Everyone makes mistakes, but this is not a mistake...this is completely intentional...again.

Say goodbye to your life as a guide, and welcome to the world of being a Walmart greeter (always being happy and helpful of course).

-F13

proguide66
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Glad they caught him, but the fines are questionable for a repeat offender and for someone working as a professional representative in his area.

Shut the door totally this time.

Everyone makes mistakes, but this is not a mistake...this is completely intentional...again.

Say goodbye to your life as a guide, and welcome to the world of being a Walmart greeter (always being happy and helpful of course).

-F13
Probably more money in workin at Walmart than guideing for anything anyway......:razz:

fireonethree
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Even with the Roll-backs? :shock:
You're probably right.

-F13