PDA

View Full Version : Releases

Hemi
02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Just got my bow today, so I need a release. What is better the wrap around wrist style or hand held style.. I keep thinking if you're in a tree stand and drop your release that could be bad.. What are the thoughts. And Bowzone Mikey I seem to recall you had one for sale. And I only live 5 minutes from you.....

Bow Walker
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm a great proponant of the wrist-style release(s). There when you need it, will fold or swing out of the way when wanted, and like you said - it won't ever fall out of your hand.

Although, many shooters have put a loop of string or rope on their hand-helds so that they won't be dropped or forgotten somewhere.

I also prefer the velcro closure over the buckle closure on the wrist releases.

jessbennett
02-27-2009, 09:54 PM
i have and use both. alot of handhelds nowdays have wrist strap attachments. i prefer the handhelds myself.just lock it on, and your ready to go. when used for hunting, you can just attach it, and then its there. just grab on when you need to draw. wriststrap releases are okay too. if you go to a wrist strap, i reccomend getting the buckle style over the velcro for the simple reason that when you put it on, you can can buckle it at the same point everytime. velcro can be a bit of a pain to get the same EVERY time, which can cause differences in draw length, anchor point, etc.

just my opinion tho, best thing to do, is try a few and see what you like. heck i have a few of each kickin around. hehe. problem is, i try one and i like it, so i get it. lol

Big Lew
02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree with "Bow Walker." I use a velcro strapped fletcher wrist release with an adjustable nylon strap between the release and the wrist strap which is easy to adjust (especially if you want to shorten in order to achieve your maximum draw), is more flexible, and allows the release to stay out of your way easier than the rod types. Once I put it on, (I mark the wrist strap with a pen so I always attach the velcro strap in the exact same place),I leave it on, and can perform my normal activities without problems. When hunting, I can usually have the release itself in my hand while the unit is strapped to my wrist, thus insuring it's ready for use.

Hemi
02-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I got one today it is the TRU ball stinger.. I like I have to fine tune my draw length now. The D lood on my bow is like 2.5 inches long so when I pull back I am pulling to far and it is awkward soo when I reach for the trigger I have to search for it. My trigger is very sensitive so if I touch it wrong..... well you know what happens then... it shoots, happened twice luckily I was on target...

jessbennett
02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I got one today it is the TRU ball stinger.. I like I have to fine tune my draw length now. The D lood on my bow is like 2.5 inches long so when I pull back I am pulling to far and it is awkward soo when I reach for the trigger I have to search for it. My trigger is very sensitive so if I touch it wrong..... well you know what happens then... it shoots, happened twice luckily I was on target...

the tru ball stinger is a very nice release. if your trigger is to sensitive, i believe you can set the tension on it.

Ron.C
02-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I agree with "Bow Walker." I use a velcro strapped fletcher wrist release with an adjustable nylon strap between the release and the wrist strap which is easy to adjust (especially if you want to shorten in order to achieve your maximum draw), is more flexible, and allows the release to stay out of your way easier than the rod types. Once I put it on, (I mark the wrist strap with a pen so I always attach the velcro strap in the exact same place),I leave it on, and can perform my normal activities without problems. When hunting, I can usually have the release itself in my hand while the unit is strapped to my wrist, thus insuring it's ready for use.

Yep I use the same release, very good but with the buckle, not velcro.
For hunting, the velcro is just too noise for me and if it catches on a fleece jacket or something else when a deer is near, your busted for sure

Bow Walker
02-28-2009, 10:05 AM
This is my hunting release. I find it the easies to attach to the loop, I don't loose sight of the 'target', and best of all it's a Fletcher release.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/lg_fletchhook3.jpg

I am a fan of the velcro because it can be done up snug, it won't stretch out with usage, it works whether it gets wet or not, the nylon head attachment strap is 'forever', plus it's far more comfortable (for me) than the buckle type. JOMO

Since both kinds (buckle or velcro) enjoy a wide range of fans, you're going to have to try both and make up your own mind about which one you favor.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-28-2009, 01:29 PM
I have a brand new Tru-Fire Judge with a buckle strap that is not used in my homestead

You have a 2.5" d-Loop????

jessbennett
02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
holy. a 2.5 " loop???:shock:

Big Lew
03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
My thoughts as well, You have a 2 1/2" loop?
Also, the pictures that "Bow Walker" posted clearly show how it is easy to shorten or adjust for draw length, this fletcher product works very well for spot and stalk hunters as it is light, fully adjustable including tension, comfortable, and stays ready, but out of the way.

Bow Walker
03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
2.5" loop?!? This is on instance where shorter is clearly better.