PDA

View Full Version : 5-15 C grizz

Wild one
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Well my partner was draw for 5-15 C and we will be going after grizz for the first time. The plan is to hunt around Maeford lake but it is not set in stone. If anyone here has tips for the area it would be a big help.

srupp
02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Hmmm IF I can be of any assistance??I have hunted for Grizzly there in the Cariboo MTS for over 30 years...and guided for the outfitter there,head cabin was at MAEFORD LAKE..lol
Hmmm IF you treat it well I will "loan " you my personal maps from when I guided up there..
The guys that got that draw for the last 2 years..I attempted to help and they shot grizzlies both years..

Please contact me by PM...

ssrupp@telus.net

congradulations

Steven

Wild one
02-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks a lot Steve I will get to you when I have more time to type(I only use 1 finger so I am really slow)

John

jessbennett
02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Hmmm IF I can be of any assistance??I have hunted for Grizzly there in the Cariboo MTS for over 30 years...and guided for the outfitter there,head cabin was at MAEFORD LAKE..lol
Hmmm IF you treat it well I will "loan " you my personal maps from when I guided up there..
The guys that got that draw for the last 2 years..I attempted to help and they shot grizzlies both years..

Please contact me by PM...

ssrupp@telus.net

congradulations

Steven

betty's place? lol

srupp
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Yuppp STILL one of the best grizzly "guides" in BC even at her age although she doesnt get into the field much..she stillowns the outfit

Steven

jessbennett
02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Yuppp STILL one of the best grizzly "guides" in BC even at her age although she doesnt get into the field much..she stillowns the outfit

Steven

yep for sure. shes a very cool lady that one. lol. some very good grizzly country in the area. from the "switchbacks" to maeford, some very good country.

f350ps
02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Last Sept. I took a little boat ride up Ghost Lk. to the mouth of the river for a little fishing and saw the biggest Griz track I've ever seen. After an hour or so I headed over to the cabin to eat my lunch and do a little Moose calling. I called about three times over about a 45 min. period and with no replies I decided to head back. One more look at the river mouth and there was the bear that made those BIG tracks. He was one of the nicest bears I've seen up there, kind of a rusty brown with a blonde streak down his back and on the top of both front shoulders. If I had a draw I know where I would be hangin out! Good Luck, I'm sure Steve knows where they are. K

Cdn-Redneck
02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Do these ones count 5-15c last October Moose hunting.

srupp
02-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Yup Jessie those lead to some fine bears..there still are some 8 1/2 foot mountain bears running around in various places:mrgreen:

Hmm Betty also has a cabin @ Ghost lake..hence the name of her company "Ghost lake Outfitters" my buddy from Alberta and his Dad saw some fine bears at Ghost lake..the bigger bears tend to be "slightly " AWAY FROM THE LAKE..but still has decent bear population..the switchback has some good sized bears.. ...best place is STILL unmentioned here..

Jessie..Betty has a book being published about her life as a female guide in the Cariboo Mts..apparantly I am in there..mentioned???

Spring bears have a slightly different range ..needs are different..

Steven

jessbennett
02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Yup Jessie those lead to some fine bears..there still are some 8 1/2 foot mountain bears running around in various places:mrgreen:

Hmm Betty also has a cabin @ Ghost lake..hence the name of her company "Ghost lake Outfitters" my buddy from Alberta and his Dad saw some fine bears at Ghost lake..the bigger bears tend to be "slightly " AWAY FROM THE LAKE..but still has decent bear population..the switchback has some good sized bears.. ...best place is STILL unmentioned here..

Jessie..Betty has a book being published about her life as a female guide in the Cariboo Mts..apparantly I am in there..mentioned???

Spring bears have a slightly different range ..needs are different..

Steven

far side of the switchbacks, at the bottom of the hill a road goes to the left.(back towards the old slide. then a rd to the right goes down across the river(im sure you know where im talking about).:-D. seen a few monsters back in there. one feeding on top of the first big cut in a landing. later had an "incident" with what i believe was the same bear later in the year on my leh moose hunt. he was a beat up old brute scared face, messed up ear, he was absolutely a monster. took 3 shots in the dirt to make him turn off the charge at about 15 paces or so.:shock:.lets just say i had to hike 2 km with a bowl of chili in my pants..haha (you might even know the bear im talking about. lol.

but ive seen a few nice ones back towards the end of that road in the old cut blocks. some biiiig blackies back there too.

i cant remember the rd number, but there is also another spot i remember too. just before the last bridge crossing and the stretch to maeford, theres a road that goes to the right. goes up into some sweet bear country. seen alot of sign and a few bigguns in there too.

i wish i was goin griz hunting.:cry:

oh well theres a few big blackies out there. ill have to settle for one of them i suppose. hehehe.

good luck wild one..........8)

Springer
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes Steve our trip into Ghost Lake was full of adventure.We went in there looking for Goats with Dad and Unc. Beautiful amazing country,lots of change from the prairie around Alberta. We borrowed Betty's bunkhouse a couple nights. I remember standing at the river Mouth fishing one evening and seeing a HUGE GRIZZLY walking the lake edge toward the cabin that evening, The next morning my rifle accompanied me to the outhouse because that Bear was not far away the last i had seen him.
When we went back to the end of the road where Dad and Unc were parked they were carrying their guns when they met us at the boat launch because they had Grizzly's hanging around camp.
We saw 4 grizzly's in total,which is 4 more than i have seen ever hunting in Alberta.
You BC folk are blessed with some amazing areas to hunt as well as being able to hunt,Grizzly,Goats ,Stone sheep Caribou etc.
Good luck to all those succesful LEH tag holders for Grizzly.

srupp
02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
yes Jesse I know of the places you speak of..that bear looked like a old ratty fur coat???lol never ever did grow a good coat I think its just old age..most grizzlies there die of old age..

Hi Phil..ya but believe it or not they get bigger MUCH bigger, lol..however beautiful place..we only took 1 bear every 3 years from GHOST lake...but ALWAYS a bear there somewhere..

No grizzly tags in Tim or my future this spring..:(...oh well..not coomplaining that means maybe a rookie will get a tag and a fine bear.

Steven

Wild one
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the help guys

srupp
02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
hmmm may find time to even come out for a coffee...

cheers

Steven