PDA

View Full Version : Elk Trip..leh..

srupp
02-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Tim and I LITERALLY just fell through the door after our whirlwind LEH elk draw from the COLD north BRRRRRR....- 37 degrees this am with 20 inches of snow, even in the woods.We left and spent the first day driving..then 2 days of hunting and home today...

So off to bed as I work in the am.....

cheers

Steven

6 K
02-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Well?!?!?!?!?!?!?:x

SHOTS FIRED?
ARROWS RELEASED?
PICTURES?

P.S. glad you made it home safe.

elkdom
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
your alivvvvve!:cool:

rishu_pepper
02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
I thought we voted to ban threads without pics :biggrin:

ruttinbuck
02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
good to see you arrived home safe and sound ruppster.Looking forward to the details.RB

PGK
02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I thought we voted to ban threads without pics :biggrin:

Agreed :confused:

sir_brady
02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
what a tease.........:frown:

srupp
02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Yuppers Doug..but JUST BARELY..who in the Hell left the freezer door open brrrrr...
Thanks Doug details will follow later this morning...
steven

huntcoop
02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
He hasn't the time to post a story or pix, he has to hurry and get to his overpaying job, sit and wait. All these hunting trips, damn you guys make way to much money :razz:.

srupp
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
we left Williams Lake after a long 14 1/2 hour nite shift...at my underpaying job..with news we are in a "strike position"
The trip up was uneventful with brilliant weather and dry exellent roads the time flew by and son we were at the Bed and Breakfast near Dawson Creek..enough time to throw the gear in the room and hit the roads looking for elk.We bumped into a rancher who also had a antlerless elk draw and he had no seen any elk for over one month and he knew the area very very well, the elk were "gone" We saw TONS of moose a couple STILL sporting headgear....and thousands of deer both mulies and whities..
That nite we called ELKDOM and he had some suggestions..next am we were up early..we drove miles and miles with no fresh sign...lots of moose seen..over 50-60 moose in 2 days with no fresh sign anywhere...we then drove to Dawson and met up with Elkdom who gave us some ideas...however he also had no been seeing any sign for over a month an ywhere...
So then we drove back out to a higher different area..and while Tim went crawling through the brush I took a high vantage spot and within moments started seeing elk high up on a steep slope....way too far away..5 kilometers and steep steep steep terrain feeding on red willow..one bull and the other 19 were cows and calfs..
darkness fell and we headed back to the B&B..and a good sleep.The enxt AM we had a good breakfast and off we went...we decided to travel as much as we could and all we found in glassing and travelling were MOOSE..MOOSE MOOSE.. everywhere..and deer and rabbits and eagles and Newfoundland turkeys...
By mid after noon we decided to end the trip up where we had found the only elk tracks "reasonably fresh" so off we went..

Ity was getting down to the wire of a fabulous trip..lots of new areas, lots of game everwhere...just not elk..

The area we selected was a couple of logging slashes way high and far back we had seen the only tracks close by..so we stopped and glassed.
By the sign we saw whenever the elk came across the road they were running hard and fast very spooky and nervous...and staying deep within the tangled trees..

About 2 hours before dark on our final day here comes 20 more elk RUNNING like the devil was on their ass..accross the cutblock we waited and seen where they would come out and then headed towards that area..

It was a very thick spot that provided the best coverage and the shortest opening between each side of the road..

Suddenly there they were flat out busting through the thick willow and alder and bailing across the road...Tim bailed out and racked in a shell by this time I was going 16 --17--18--Tim NINETEEN.when the last elk bust out I yelled 20..last one Timmmmmmmmm.BANG. Tim shot..and the silence was deafening.. we looked at each other as no elk was laying there..so we went down the 175 yards to were the prints said they entered the thick tangled underbrush..we stepped into the 24 " deep snow..and there was BOOD..yippeee and OH NO..so we donned our heavy coats and big boots and loaded the weapons and packs with survival gear... getting lost here and now could be fatal...
So off we went trailing and ribbonning in the fast growing end of the day and approaching darkness..twisting and turning up and down and deeper and deeper into the tangled undergrowth we crept..blood on the clean white snow assured us we were on the right track amongst the hundreds of crossing trails..

After 1/2 hour a ROAR suddenly errupted from the thickest portion of the woods a head..Tim Up and aims and FIRES.. and down went the elk ..

It was now 45 minutes untill dark.. so we quickly field dressed the cow elk placed a log under the body GPS'D the location and headed out as quickly as the tangled undergrowth would allow pulling and tearing at our jackets..the sweat from exertion turning our faces white with frost.

We arrived at the road just as darkness fell we slumped to the warm HEATED leather seats and headed back to our B& B for a SPAM sandwhich and a hot coffee and a hot shower and some much deserved sleep. 7:00 the next morning found us already having ate and headed back to the spot where the elk was. We were smart enough to borrow a small child's wooden tobaggan and that saved our asses!!

We headed back into the brush and with a small hand saw we cut the elk in half and strapped the rear half to the tobaggan. And together we started pulling the meat towards the truck. Now, pulling two hundred pounds of meat on a child's tobaggan in minus 37 degree weather in 24" of snow amongst thick tangles of willow and downed trees is a highly overrated activity. Two hours later we were at the truck and a quick glass of water and we started heading back to the remaining front half.

The same process was followed in slogging our way out with the final half. We even brought the head out in case cow elk have ivory teeth too.

I tremendously enjoyed this experience, however, I have come to two realizations:
1/ I know that I would never normally do it, but in this situation I would always attempt a head shot. One either has a harvested animal or not, however, one wouldn't be dragging the meat through heavy, deep snow in minus 40 degree weather, and if missed, the animal escapes.

2/ Do not shoot an animal that is going to allow you to suffer for five hours, retrieving its corpse. LOL

This five hours was extremely exerting and exhausting and after loading the elk we headed back for Williams Lake. The drive back was uneventful - arriving last night and hung the elk in the garage, a short jacuzzi and off to bed. Tonight a little tidying up of the meat and butchering will commence in two days.

I want to thank all those who made suggestions regarding elk up here...the elk were very skittish and hiding - not many were shot and I am so thankful that we did so very well. It was nice to meet Doug and I thank him for all his help. It was so cold that once I took the camera out I took one picture and the camera froze solid!!!! So I did get one picture and will post that tonight or tomorrow. And also I would like to thank Tim, Barb and Susan.

Cheers!
Steven

Ron.C
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
excellent story, congrats to you and your partner on the elk. Obviously, persistance pays

Gateholio
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Congrats! Elk meat int he freezer!:razz:

elkdom
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
:cool: Job well done! congrats!, Im happy your "elk" experience went as it should,
a successful, and a rough and tough hunt always remains an adventure in your memory, long after the meat is hung and the guns are cleaned, you guys were facing some pretty tall Odds stacked against you, just a couple of days to locate and connect, the fact the elk have been quite elusive this winter!,not for lack of elk, they have just been very scattered, not herded UP in the usual high numbers and common problem areas!
again! Job! well done!

when the going gets tough!, the tough gets going! :biggrin:,,,

even if the "tough" has "heated seats" :rolleyes:

rocksteady
02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Congrats...Glad to hear you scored....

What sort of health was she in?? Lots of fat??? Just curious...

srupp
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks ELKDOM..yes the odds were indeed high and such a steep learning curve...and having them back in the thick stuff and not in the farmers fields made it a tough one...plus BRUTAL weather..it was indeed nice of you to meet us for coffee..and with what we saw you were not kidding that the elk were "nowhere to be found" and had "disapeared "..however just long days and hard work..and even harder work after the trigger was pulled..lol

Heated leather seats felt WONDERFUL after 5 hours in -37 weather..#1 memory will be the incredible amount of moose and some still with racks.

Rocksteady..she was HUGE and in great shape...Im guessing somewhere in the 450-500 pound range..when coming accross the cut block she was bigger than any other of the 20...Tim didnt "plan " on shooting the largest..it just worked out that way..I will post photos tonite..2 photos did turn out before the camera froze up..

I never worked so hard on a animal as I did pulling on that damn rope..very very sore and stiff today..old and out of shape and fat does not add to the enjoyment of the hard work.

cheers

Steven

elkdom
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
old and out of shape and fat is what makes up a very "ELITE" group of elk hunters, quite often very successful I may add, like a finely tuned "SWAT TEAM" or "NAVY SEALS", or maybe even terminators , yes that it! "ELK TERMINATORS" :cool:

ahsta la Vesta

srupp
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
hmmm or as Garfield puts it..
PASTA LASAGNA....LOL

I believe you have to find em before they find you..spotting or "hunting " versus shooting..and I love to spend hours glassing ....so imagine my surprise when I saw the elk blow out into the cutblock with my bare eyes..and confirmed with binos...lol lots of luck also they could have turned away from us and been gone..wondering what the hell was spooking them so badly..they were motoring big time...

sometimes luck is good to have also..

so what is an "average" weight for a mature cow this time of year???wondering what ours compares like..she sure was bigger than everything with her..

Steven

d6dan
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
congrats on a successful elk draw.. nothing but fine eating from here on out. And next year...well, just call upon Elkdom.( or phone my brother) in Chetwynd. d6dan

srupp
02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
10-4..lol....

funny how this year went..last minute changes..etc..and the elk we found were not where anyone would have or did predict we wer almost up by "the lake":wink: when we started seeing sign and that was the ONLY place we saw sign or elk..

Thanks d6dan..

steven

budismyhorse
02-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Congrats!

ps. I liked the SPAM reference.....

ruttinbuck
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Great read ruppster.throughtly enjoyed.As others have said a freezer full of some great meat.Might take a few days for the ache to quit but the reminder will keep a shite eatin grin on your face.
Congrats RB

SUAFOYT
02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Obviously the 2 we got are babes. They were 275 and 285 on the hook at the butcher's.

srupp
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
LOL SPAM..ya we ate whatever we had in the cooler..we were too far and too tired to travel any distance to get any food..so spam, grapes ,apples oranges..cheezies and potatoe chips all the major food groups:roll:

Thanks ruttinbuck..a hardcore hunter like you ..your comments are appreciated...lol I should have taken your new pack sitting in my den and seen how it would handle frozen elk :eek:..

I really was surprised at so many things..for instance how a simple wooden childs toboggan helped in getting the halves back to the truck..I really wouldnt want to try pulling those without..

I wont have to do a stress test this year after that episode...

cheers

Steven

ruttinbuck
02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
:eek:Never mind,that pack does'nt move til you come down this way or I end up on a Sunday drive that way.:D:lol:
I had heard a toboggan comes in real handy in the deep stuff.But being from the loops most years I hunt in calf deep snow at the most.RB

srupp
02-26-2009, 05:45 PM
No problems Ruttinbuck..it IS staying in my den..... it currently is being used to store dried dog food...OOOOOPS

Steven

Mik
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Congrats to the "Elkinator" team; Glad to hear that everything went well for you this time, you deserve it,8), Great story, thanks for sharing.

srupp
02-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks Mik..I usually work hard..sometimes it works and sometimes it dont..lol

steven

jackpine
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
good work guys!!!post some pics!!!

Riverjet
02-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Great story.
My wife had that same draw a few years back but we only spent 2.5 hrs from the time she shot it in farmer Jones field in Chetwynd untill we were driving home. We were able to do the whole job right where she dropped it with a little bit of help from a Deere. LOL

John Deere

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/sledhed/More%20stuff/ChetwyndElk001.jpg

srupp
02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P1010014.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P1010015.jpg

sweet...Riverjet..now THATS how to hunt elk..fast cooling no flies and no sweat..and a pretty partner...hmm we had no flies and fast cooling..:roll:

first photo Tim cutting out the rectum and tying it off...second was a shot of the elk..then the camera went frozen dead

cheers

Steven

srupp
02-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Tim came over today and we butchered the elk roasts, steaks, stew meat and burger and some for smokies and peperoni..

We will do the peperoni and smokies in the morning
From start to finish it took 5 hours cutting and grinding and packaging and coffee..:tongue:

cheers

Steven

elkdom
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Tim came over today and we butchered the elk roasts, steaks, stew meat and burger and some for smokies and peperoni..

We will do the peperoni and smokies in the morning
From start to finish it took 5 hours cutting and grinding and packaging and coffee..:tongue:

cheers

Steven

sounds good! and in the words of my "other" hero, mmmmmmmmmmmm elk,,mmmmMeeeeeatttt! :smile:

srupp
02-28-2009, 09:38 PM
lol..ya I havnt had elk for a couple of years..THANKS for the help up in Dawson ...elkdom....

and to the others that sent PM'S re elk in that area..although we didnt find elk where they NORMALLY would be found..we appreciate the advice and friendly help and assistance.

Steven :smile:

Jhors
03-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Well done Steve! Glad the hunt went well!

Now we will try to get you in shape for next year by carrying a picket sign for a few months!

John

srupp
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks John....hmmmmmm ya I know I need the excercise...and IF it will get the message out there..break out the goat green..or old orange coats and lets get er done..

Hope all is well with you in the WARM west coast..lol

cheers
Steven

sneg
03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
congrats on your elk.good job.

hunterofthedeer
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
my friend got the elk draw in 7-20A he went up there with his buddy who also got the same draw. He let his buddy shot the first cow they saw and he missed 4 shots at 1000 yards. He still ended up with half an elk and i got a roast and some burger.

moosinaround
03-01-2009, 09:44 PM
my friend got the elk draw in 7-20A he went up there with his buddy who also got the same draw. He let his buddy shot the first cow they saw and he missed 4 shots at 1000 yards. He still ended up with half an elk and i got a roast and some burger.
4 shots at a thousand yards!! Bahhh haaaaa!!!! SNIPER!!!

Springer
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Congradulations Elmer.Its great to see the Adventures of Steve and Tim were a great success again.Sounds like a tough hunt with great memories.I cant wait to meet up with you and Susan at Sheridan Lake and enjoy a meal of Elk smokies and try the pepperoni.Oh yeah I will need a 101 course from you again on further meat processing.
again Congrats to both of you,enjoy some fine eating Steve.
Cheers.

hunterofthedeer
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
4 shots at a thousand yards!! Bahhh haaaaa!!!! SNIPER!!!
thats just what he said he missed every shot. i dont know if it was true or not

srupp
03-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Springer I ALWAYS enjoy Tims and my trips..we work so well as a team..his strengths are my weaknesses..and the few strengths I have supplement Tims knowlege and abilities in a few places..a great working hunting partnership which I imensley enjoy...not just the considerable success in harvesting game..but the actual experiences we enjoy.

A NEW smokie recipee is gonna get tried in the AM...lol..and some peperoni and also some jerky..

You WILL LOVE SHERRIDAN lake..

cheers

Steven

srupp
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
SO SMOKIES AND PEPERONI are now done..:tongue:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_26060003.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_26070004.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_26040001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_26050002.jpg

srupp
03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
These are the elk smokies....I was too tired and worn out to do any more photos however the peperoni turned out just as good..

cheers

Steven

Leaseman
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Man o' man do those look good!

Too bad you will have them all eaten before we make it up there......:mad:

Going to have to get your recipes off you buddy!

Talk to you soon!

srupp
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
ha ha ha .. i will share my cali sheep spots..my black bear spots even my grizzly spots..and on most days my halibut spots...but my recipees are staying in my stone cold heart..lmao...OOPS

Thanks Mike...and they TASTE EVEN BETTER..

CHEERS
STEVEN

sawmill
03-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Wow,that`s a well earned bunch of meat, and yes ,cows have Ivory`s too.Hope you saved them.

srupp
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks Sawmill..steaks.. roasts ..burger, smokies peperoni..a good reminder of a GREAT TRIP..and yes I saved the ivories one for Tim and one for me..

cheers

Steven

srupp
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Tried the smokies and the pepperoni...

the Pepperoni was exellent just right amount of spice..:mrgreen:

HOWEVER THE SMOKIES WERE THE BEST Ihave made ..ever..yummmm

STEVEN

mountainman
03-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Ummm what the heck man less then an hour away and no phone call!!!
Looks like a fun trip little chilly but a good trip.
Save me some of that pepperoni for salmon fishing!!

srupp
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Sorry Joe..we were busy from first light till we passed out from exhaustion each nite..:roll:
However I have saved some for You for TERRACE...and pepperoni and breakfast sausages and German dinner sausage...:biggrin:

Hope all is well ITS SNOWING HARD HERE..

CHEERS

sTEVEN

Leaseman
03-05-2009, 08:24 AM
You both a killin' me!

Maybe I will have to drive up on your fishin' trip to try some of these smokies.......

Joe, how ya' doin' hear that winter is hitting you guys hard right now!? I might just have to go sturgeon fishing this weekend so I can see the snow on the "tops" of our mountains.......:mrgreen::wink:

srupp
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Mike ..easy there big fella...I promise I will bring the Kentucky yard bird for the sturgeon trip..:roll:..OOOOOOOPSY......

We got a few inches of snow overnight..YUK..

Steven

Leaseman
03-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Thought that might get a response.....:wink:

still have some deer peperoni that we can take out, along with something to keep us warm in these frigid temps in the LML......8)

srupp
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
ummmm Mike would EWE like some elk peperonni??I will bring some down.

Steven