PDA

View Full Version : Garmin maps for BC

Peace Country
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Is there a map company in BC that sells maps that will load into a garmin gps. I am looking for as much detail as I can get like all the logging roads, gas lines, pipe lines, wells site old and new,semisic lines.

Charlie
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Search the torrent sites for the maps you require. There are many to choose from.

Download them try them out, if you like 'em, consider buying them. ;)

thunderheart
02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Search the torrent sites for the maps you require. There are many to choose from.

Download them try them out, if you like 'em, consider buying them. ;)

forgive my ignorance .. what do you mean search the torrent sites?

Charlie
02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Torrents are files which you download then connect you to many people sharing a particular file. It allows you to download small pieces from many sources.

For example: http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=garmin+topo+canada

You need a torrent client such as utorrent.

Keep in mind, these are uploaded from others, and you will be downloading free of charge. So evaluate the software, and as I said earlier, if you like it, you should purchase. :wink:

thunderheart
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
thanks....

sneg
02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Topo Canada is good stuff. But make sure that you have some other reference maps. Topo Canada can be quite outdated.

cariboobill
03-04-2009, 07:12 PM
If you find anything that works with up to date road info let me know. I have Topo and the road info is really POOR! So I use the Backroads books and the Topo to help me find new areas.

willy442
03-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Is there a map company in BC that sells maps that will load into a garmin gps. I am looking for as much detail as I can get like all the logging roads, gas lines, pipe lines, wells site old and new,semisic lines.

The best detailed maps available for the East Slope of the Rockies in both BC and Alberta are at a place in Grande Prairie called Patch Map. They have 3 versions, one of which is dedicated to hunters.

jeeper
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Heres a web page for free topo maps ! Its about 3 gigs for the download .

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

worth checking them out !

Bruce

Steeleco
03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Heres a web page for free topo maps ! Its about 3 gigs for the download .

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

worth checking them out !

Bruce

I downloaded this onto my 60Csx, it did work OK, but the road detail was of lesser quality than the Garmin version. Also, if you do try it and decide to remove it, clear the memory card with an external card reader. I failed to do this and spent $100 on mail and service charges till Garmin themselves found 1 corrupt file causing all sorts of issues.

Mauser98
03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I downloaded the Ibycus maps and installed the BC portion to my Garmin 60cx. I also installed all of the Garmin topo maps for BC to the gps.

The Ibycus maps show more detail in some areas while the Garmin maps are better in other aras. The nice thing about the 60cx is that I can hide the Ibycus maps and visa versa with the Garmin maps.

One area where the Ibycus maps are better is in th Peace River area where the sheets show a lot of the seismic lines.

Garmins Mapsource program must be installed on the computer in order to use either map set.

Singleshotneeded
03-05-2009, 01:31 AM
:-D FYI, for those of you that have gps units but also Mapbooks, I called the company and found out they're putting out a new Okanagan Edition in early 2010, and a new Kootenays Edition in early 2011. As far as my Garmin 60CSX goes, it's a great gps but when is Garmin or Topo Canada going to put out an updated topo map version for Canada, like they do regularly for the US?

willy442
03-05-2009, 01:59 AM
The Patch Map hunter version shows all Siesmec Lines, Pipelines, Oilfield and Government Rds along with kms. One really nice feature is it also gives every proprty owners name for all the farm country. The map system is Map Source and is updated monthly as new information becomes available. I think it's about 400.00 bucks though.

Maxx
03-05-2009, 07:48 AM
The Patch Map hunter version shows all Siesmec Lines, Pipelines, Oilfield and Government Rds along with kms. One really nice feature is it also gives every proprty owners name for all the farm country. The map system is Map Source and is updated monthly as new information becomes available. I think it's about 400.00 bucks though.

great info,

thanks

Creeker
03-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Yes Willy442 is right, the map he is talking about is BUSHMAP from those guys. It really looks awesome. It even shows MU #s which is cool, But the map doesnt extend just far enough west for me pesonally. Here is the map he sent me last fall.