PDA

View Full Version : Sheep draw anyone?

Dale
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Anyone here get a spats sheep draw? Not me, I guess I'm headed back into a GOS.

Bowtime
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
My buddy drew one, looks like I'm the camera man.

derek p
02-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Finally, I got lucky, used a black pen too. Now getting the goat and moose draws in the park would surely prove that the black pen theory is true.

BCrams
02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Finally, I got lucky, used a black pen too. Now getting the goat and moose draws in the park would surely prove that the black pen theory is true.

Will you still go sheep hunting in Spatsizi if you do not get a moose or goat draw?

crazysheephunter
02-25-2009, 01:10 PM
are they posted online yet.was gona wait for the snail mail, but the anticipation is killing me.

derek p
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
It will take something drastic to keep me away from this trip, the moose and goat would be a bonus but not needed to get me to go. The way I figure with the pre scouting, $$$, and time off work this will replace my annual 2 week october trip so this is it. I would like to have as many options as possible but regardless you couldn't knock the smile off my face with a 2 x 4.

Bowtime
02-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Have you hunted the area before derek?

derek p
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I have hunted a little around the park, by boat in the upper stikine and quads. I plan on taking some time in june to prescout the trails and access points. I have travelled by quad along the klappan grade to the trail head and think this is where my June trip will start.

BCrams
02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
The trail head locations are straight forward.

Why not fly into Bug Lake or the west end of Coldfish and hit the GO horse trail from Bug up through the mtns to the south. Get a ram - hike out on the eaglenest trail or the other trail back to the road.

Bowtime
02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
We will be going up the eaglenest trail in August . I took one back there in 2006. One hell of a hike. better start training. I plan on putting in for goat also.

one-shot-wonder
02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
No sheep draw (or spring grizz) for me. :sad:

Oh well I have a ton of work to get out of the way in order to free up time for the fall I guess.

bridger
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
It will take something drastic to keep me away from this trip, the moose and goat would be a bonus but not needed to get me to go. The way I figure with the pre scouting, $$$, and time off work this will replace my annual 2 week october trip so this is it. I would like to have as many options as possible but regardless you couldn't knock the smile off my face with a 2 x 4.

right on that's what sheep hunting is all about for me!

GoatGuy
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
big nil for me - looks like I get to be a wrangler next year.

ElectricDyck
02-25-2009, 08:45 PM
The leh guy said it was just over 4 to 1 odds. Looks like gos for my first sheep hunt. Doesn't change much, I'm still excited as hell. It's gonna be a long 6 months.

bridger
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
The leh guy said it was just over 4 to 1 odds. Looks like gos for my first sheep hunt. Doesn't change much, I'm still excited as hell. It's gonna be a long 6 months.

actually it is 156 days til sheep opens in 7b but who is counting

derek p
02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
The trail head locations are straight forward.

Why not fly into Bug Lake or the west end of Coldfish and hit the GO horse trail from Bug up through the mtns to the south. Get a ram - hike out on the eaglenest trail or the other trail back to the road.

It sounds as if you have first hand knowledge of the area. In your opinion is the south side of the lake or north side the better option.

I have talked with my partner and the training starts on saturday. The initial plan is to hike in off the eaglenest trail to the lake and go from there.
What does everyone think, is this the best option???

The distance and ruggedness is overwhelming but we plan on being in very good shape by August.

Thanks for any and all information.

Bowtime
02-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I think your plan sounds great if you can make the treck.

BCrams
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
[quote=derek p;417772]It sounds as if you have first hand knowledge of the area. In your opinion is the south side of the lake or north side the better option.

Not really. I have never been there. I just look at a map and go ok - sheep must be around here somewhere. So I'd probably just take anything I say with a grain of salt. I don't exactly have a good track record taking sheep.

North / south? A huge area on the south side of Coldfish is the eco reserve and no hunting.

I have talked with my partner and the training starts on saturday. The initial plan is to hike in off the eaglenest trail to the lake and go from there.

Doable. A friend hiked out from Coldfish to the road in a day with a light day pack.

boxhitch
02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
IMO with any hunt that is such a long ggrunt, if it were possible to fly one leg, I would do that. Hike in / fly out or tuther way, costs more but makes a realistic effort possible. Maximize the enjoyment.

budismyhorse
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
That is great advice Boxhitch, obviously from a guy who has "been there".

I would fly in and hike out. that way you are likely "more fresh" than if you hiked in. if that is even possible....I dont know anything about the Spatz hunt....yet.
My 2cents.

Bowtime
02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Just a walk in the park.

bushguy
02-27-2009, 08:16 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/SenatorJunkie/sheep.jpg

I got the sheep draw for there also,,,,,,is this one legal?Didnt get a real good look at him,was too far away,,but looks like a shooter to me.

GrizGuy92
02-27-2009, 08:17 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/SenatorJunkie/sheep.jpg

I got the sheep draw for there also,,,,,,is this one legal?Didnt get a real good look at him,was too far away,,but looks like a shooter to me.
looks like a booner to me!!!!!!!!
=D

Bowtime
02-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Nice deep curl, Heavy at the base, holds his weight. Huge 3rd quarter weight! Looks to be around 38 inch curl. Only eight years old. deffinatly a shooter but you could do better.