PDA

View Full Version : Meathead

Seabass
11-03-2005, 01:17 PM
I friend of mine phoned me up the other night. We bs'd and such and he sarcastilly asked me if I knew the difference between a whitetail and mule deer. He was just bugging me as we both knew and so we laughed and carried on chit chatting. But the question had relevence to where we will be hunting later this year where both deer live. It is the law to know a moose from an elk and a whitetail from a mulie. "I thought" Is never a good defense.
Just the other day a different friend calls to say he just made that mistake. While in Alberta he shot a large 4x3 Mule deer which, so he said, is a draw only area for Mulies and only open for Whitetails. To add to the matter he didn't even have a tag for a deer at all but his hunting buddy in the passanger seat did??? Which he (the passenger) wouldn't shoot. As the story goes the buck was dragged off into the woods to be delt with by mother nature. Buddy said he felt bad and wanted to get out of the "sport" entirely. I'm sure he did but he will keep shooting/hunting. What a Meathead

Ronforca
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I have hunted with a person once who shot a Doe for a Buck and sneaked it home.Needless to say I try to stear clear of this kind of so called hunter.
Every year a lot of Moose,Elk and Deer are found in the bush that are shot
by so called mistakes.There should not be this kind of mistake made.The
odd time a bullet will pass through an animal and kill an animal unseen on
the far side.That is about the only excuse that I can see for shooting something by mistake and that is usually a lame excuse also.The cardinal rule
is if you are not absolutely positive of your target do not pull the trigger.Amen:frown:

Kirby
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Wow, congrats on telling us your friend is a poacher.

Kirby

Foxer
11-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't see the word 'friend' in his posts.

There are the odd loser out there - it sucks when you find out someone's a bad apple in the bush.

Ken
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Even though it shouldnt, It happens...... people make mistakes, I can understand that. But what bugs me the most is the leaving the animal in the bush to go to waste!

If you screw up either be a man and report it, or at the very least take it home. dont leave it to rot

I have found a couple elk that were left in the bush because they werent legal and it just makes me sick

Seabass
11-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree with you Ken. And its true people make mistakes, its apart of life. Letting somthing go to waste just isn't cool. Although not to much goes to waste in the wilds. Hopfully it gave some hungry bear a good meal. I know I would have atleast tried to salvage the meat. The thing is, he knew it was a buck and thats good but he also knew it had to be a Whitetail and shot it anyway hoping it would be that when he got to it?? Thats what go me upset when I spoke to him. You can't hope its the right animal, or hope it dosen't have cubs, or hope it has enough points when you get to it. Not good enough.

Thunderstix
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I myself did something once about 5 years ago (I won't go into details on here, but maybe around the fire, of course all of you will "steer clear of me" from now on), but I turned myself in and received a fine...I could not sleep for two days while waiting to get out of the bush and turn myself in even though no one would have been any the wiser.......it was a humiliating and humbling experience that I never ever want to go through again. My circumstances were different than that guys, but nevertheless don't think it can never happen to you.
ps I had my own tags etc!!!!!

Kirby
11-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Foxer

Just the other day a different friend calls to say he just made that mistake.

In regargds to ditching an animal, I can understand screwing up, everybody makes mistakes, but, I say buck up, be a man, report yourself.

Kirby

Ronforca
11-03-2005, 05:08 PM
No big deal telling that my friend wasa poacher.This happened twenty years ago.
The right thing to do would be to turn him in which I of course did not and would not do.How many of you upstanding,law abiding hunters would have turned him in.I would if he made a habit of it.I just gave him hell and left it at that.Now if
I came across someone in the woods that shot big game out of season of
the wrong gender I would turn them in for sure.I probably would not turn in a friend but would not want to get caught with him all the same.Would never hunt with him again.Anyone careless enough to do such a thing is not a safe hunter to
be around.My life could depend on who I hunt with.That is why I have hunted with the same people for many years.I know that they are good and safe people
in the woods.I shudder when I read about some of you people inviting any one
who will go with them on a hunting tripThey might be very safe hunters and then they may not.Like I said your life might depend on it.

Thunderstix
11-03-2005, 05:21 PM
It would be hard to turn your friend in no doubt.

beeker
11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Ground checking an animal is a very bad policy. I have to agree with the importance of having absolute trust in the people you are hunting with, not only could your life depend on it, but getting your name in the paper associated with poaching could also ruin your credibility and reputation.

Marc
11-03-2005, 07:07 PM
I shudder when I read about some of you people inviting any one
who will go with them on a hunting tripThey might be very safe hunters and then they may not.Like I said your life might depend on it.

Well there is only one true way to meet a new hunting partners and find out if they are safe hunters or not. You need to meet them in person and find out what they are like. If I find that they are unsafe in any way I'll let them know, if they choose to continue to hunt in an unsafe manner then I'll end the hunt and that will be the last time I hunt with that person. I'll also ask anyone that I'm hunting with if they see anything that I do that makes them feel unsafe to let me know.

Marc.

bsa30-06
11-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I agree with you marc, and i think its a wise idea to do a couple of day hunts with a new partner before going on a big trip and having to call it quits early because of a unsafe or unethical partner.

Byson
11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
This type of Hunters suck the Fact he Shot an animal and left it in the Bush for Nature Sucks. I tell you another Story a bunch of guys from North Van this year shot a big bull in mcbride the animal went down instead of going to make sure its dead he goes for help 45mins he goes back and its gone. The next day they find it but don't know how to deal with it they bang on my door at the cabins cause we already done 2moose ask for help I was going to go but my partner ask where he shoot it he said 7-4 but he told us the area it was 7-5 my partner said no way in hell are we going up there, Back to these guys they packed out the 2 hind quarters and cut the rack the Animal was a big ******* he had 10 on one side 11 on the other, The Next week I asked the Butcher when i pick up my meat how many pounds they got he said a few steaks and sausage about 40 pounds worth the guys left the guts in the animal for almost 3days the butcher was going to chuck the whole works this is a good case of a lack of experience they should of hired a guide cause there not Hunters

Ronforca
11-03-2005, 07:44 PM
One of the worst so called hunters that I have ever hunted with was a R.C.M.P.officer.He was a friend and I naturally thought that he would be gun safe.
This was many years ago.His idea of hunting was with a bottle in his pack and shooting everything in sight.Our friendship ended the first day of our hunt.:?

ruger#1
11-03-2005, 08:11 PM
i hunted with a guy like this before. he took my 22 and shot any thing that moved, his kids also ate all our food for hunting.after that i hunt alone unless im with a real good freind.

Steeleco
11-03-2005, 08:50 PM
IF you remain friends the best thing you can do is to convince him that getting out of the sport is a good idea, even if only for a few years, maybe after some reflection he may come back but with a more serious attitude. Choosing who to hunt with can be hit or miss, one of lifes more important choise's in my mind. Trust is hard to earn and easy to loose.

Tarp Man
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
This forum (and others similar) are amazing to me. It seems that a number of people on the site will invite others to hunt, etc, and tell some half decent spots to find animals. Are we a trustworthy bunch? I hope so, and I pity the poor sucker who pisses into the wind and screws one of us over. It would only happen once, and the entire province would be a no go for that person. From the Island to the North, we've got a good bit of coverage for the meathead police.
-Tarp Man

Sikanni Stalker
11-03-2005, 10:27 PM
This forum (and others similar) are amazing to me. It seems that a number of people on the site will invite others to hunt, etc, and tell some half decent spots to find animals. Are we a trustworthy bunch? I hope so, and I pity the poor sucker who pisses into the wind and screws one of us over. It would only happen once, and the entire province would be a no go for that person. From the Island to the North, we've got a good bit of coverage for the meathead police.

-Tarp Man

Yeah no doubt I wish I was on here a few years ago when I dumped my partner, he pulled the same crap with another guy I knew down south.

youngfellla
11-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Most of you have already said it - leaving an animal to rot in the bush is disgusting. Nothing pisses me off more than that. A few years ago I let a friend of mine hunt deer on my property, and the dumbass shot a 3x3 when it was 4 pt only. Granted it was a huge 3x3, but he still should have counted first. He came down to the house and asked me what to do. I told him I wasn't going to report him but he better drag it out of the bush and either take it home and butcher it or turn himself in, that was up to him. We loaded the deer sent him on his way, and he did take the deer to the CO, who must have been in a good mood because he told the guy to tag it and keep it. I guess it was an old revert and the CO figured it was fine to harvest. I think it scared the guy pretty bad though, as he is now one of the most cautious, law abiding hunters I know. Consequently, he doesn't hunt on my property anymore...

fuzzybiscuit
12-03-2015, 06:05 PM
IF you remain friends the best thing you can do is to convince him that getting out of the sport is a good idea, even if only for a few years, maybe after some reflection he may come back but with a more serious attitude. Choosing who to hunt with can be hit or miss, one of lifes more important choise's in my mind. Trust is hard to earn and easy to loose.

Sage advice.

Glenny
12-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Kick his ass Seabass!!!!!

markomoose
12-03-2015, 08:17 PM
My hunting partner shot a 3x3 in 4x4 season 2 weeks ago.He turned himself in to a local C.O. He's a great friend and good role model for my son as he was with us on our trip.

Ozone
12-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Just over 10 year throwback. Someone competing with Kyle

albravo2
12-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Interesting, very few names endure.

Must have been interesting on here 10 years ago.

Bugle M In
12-03-2015, 09:06 PM
I had a relative who once shot a doe, which he thought was a buck (it only had to be a spike).
This was 40+ years ago, and he has since past away.
He was a great guy, and I was thankful that he was a part of my life.
He just made a mistake, as many do in life.
He smuggled the doe home, butchered and ate it.
He ran the risk of getting caught, but didn't.
So that must have been a scary drive for 3 hours home, as it was never is intention to "Poach" an animal.
All I can say is, for the 30 years afterwards, he still got razed by the rest of the hunting family for that screw up.
Sometimes it doesn't have to be a stiff penalty that makes one pay for their mistakes.
It sometimes, as it was in his, a mistake that never left his side...so to speak.
I think, from what I observed, he paid his debt in pokes and jabs, and was an incident that he never really forgot.

TrickleCharger
12-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Kick his ass Seabass!!!!!

I can't believe it took 10 years for this to be said!

Sofa King
12-03-2015, 11:15 PM
"i like my deer like i like my eggs....................poached."

a hunter in kelowna said that one to me.
i hadn't laughed so hard in some time.
he was clearly kidding, it was just a joke.