PDA

View Full Version : anyone hunting coyotes

bckev
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
I am curious if anyone is out hunting coyotes right now. Seeing lots around and need to shoot some before they start eating my chickens again, but in my neck of the woods don't seem to see to many people out hunting them.

Mr. Dean
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I try when I can but have only been out twice this winter - Haven't got one under my belt yet.

Do you actively hunt them or just hit the odd one that's being a nuisance at home?

crazysheephunter
02-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Ive been hunting them a few times this year,with a bit of success,using calls and such,but this time of year they i think they are more in tune to whats going on due to the pressure they have faced through the winter.

Mr. Dean
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Ive been hunting them a few times this year,with a bit of success,using calls and such,but this time of year they i think they are more in tune to whats going on due to the pressure they have faced through the winter.

???Pressure???

I get funny/weird looks when people know I'm goin out for 'em. The areas I've hit, nobody has been in there since the "Big Snow" we had (X-mas/New Years).

Must be different on the 'other' side of the province. :lol:

brenden
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I've killed 10 yotes so far this year. February is a crazy month for dogs.They are very active and vocal. Female invite howls and a chorus of crows on the foxpro has been working like crazy.

Brenden

wolverine
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Yup. Calving time on the ranches. The yotes are tuned into a veal dinner after eating shite all winter.

huntwriter
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
I was thinking about going coyote hunting but that was all I could do. February and March are the busiest times of the year with all the hunting shows underway everywhere and editors stocking up articles for the late summer and fall magazines. If I am not on the road to some seminar or promotion I am sitting in my office typing articles till my fingers are sore.:-)

I still hope that I can get out a day or two to hunt coyotes. There are lots of them around here.:D

rishu_pepper
02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't have a call or anything, but my 204 is roaring to go. Anyone want to take a newb out so I can finally make the legendary HBC yote stew for the 'Deaner? :D

Mr. Dean
02-25-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't have a call or anything, but my 204 is roaring to go. Anyone want to take a newb out so I can finally make the legendary HBC yote stew for the 'Deaner? :D

I got TIRED of waiting for that Yote Chow Fun and took up hunting them myself!

I still can't believe that no one has donated ya one yet.... Where's all the brotherly love of our fellow members???

rishu_pepper
02-25-2009, 01:06 AM
No love... ;)

Maybe you and I should just do this on our own eh Mr. Dean?

Mr. Dean
02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
I got issues. :neutral:

Basically its been finding time - Only had one kick at the can (locally) this winter, so far. And that turned into an unexpected poaching operation for Bobcats. :shock:

Issues.... :sad:

rishu_pepper
02-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Deal with 'em. :D

You're one up on me, I haven't been out at ALL this year... Gonna take out my rage on some unsuspecting coyotes...! :cool:

Angel
02-25-2009, 10:27 AM
yote hunting sounds like a blast:razz:... rishu, Deaner when are we gonna snipe a few yotes. i wonder how the 270 would fare on the yotes:wink:.... let me know when you guys what to go!

Mr. Dean
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
yote hunting sounds like a blast:razz:...

In ways, it's a lot like fishing from the bank... You set out your caller and find a comfy place to park your ass for an hour. If nothing bites, move on down a bit and try again. Instead of reading a book though, you glass intensely.

With the hammering snow that the Coq. took yesterday/last night, my "Secret Spot" will be untouchable, :mad: again :mad:.

Unless you guyz got some snow-machines. :smile: :smile:

Angel
02-25-2009, 10:53 AM
2 feet = snowmachine.:smile:

let me know when we are going yote bashin'

rishu_pepper
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm up for "yote bashin'" though I'll be using a 204, to "conserve" the meat. Geez, no 270 for me! :biggrin:

Hopefully within the next few weeks, eh folks?

Angel
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
rishu, im game when you are. We got to get Deaner out with us tho. next couple weeks yote bashin' is on.

todbartell
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
I havent hunted this winter as much as usual, only got one coyote to show for my weak efforts. Usually up to around six or ten by now. :(

Mr. Dean
02-25-2009, 03:05 PM
rishu, im game when you are. We got to get Deaner out with us tho. next couple weeks yote bashin' is on.

Things look grim on this end - I've been trying my hardest to bug-out for a weekend since.....???? I've forgotten now.

All my gear (camper, Jeep, ect) is road ready in less than 60 minutes. All I need is for needy people to quit being needy 'round here. :lol: :roll: :lol:

It's tough! There seem to be *something* up, each and every.......

Next year I think I'll just set aside a weeks vacation and put in an intense focus on this. At least that way, I'll at least get 'er done. :evil:

In the meantime, it's just about seizing the opportunity when it comes - kinda like having a dump. :shock:

rishu_pepper
02-26-2009, 09:59 AM
If all goes well (i.e. no plans), I should be free next Saturday on the 7th. We could make a trip of it. :D

Deaner, priorities man! If we ain't getting the yote chow, who's going to? :cool:

Mr. Dean
02-26-2009, 10:16 AM
You're killin' me!!! Like, really s l o w . . . . . . :sad:

I can't plan for more than 12 hrs ahead right now.

Well, I could,,,, But life would be real different once I got back. :razz:

bckev
02-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I haven't been out myself yet but am hoping too soon if nothing else to get the numbers down and scratch the hunting itch. Saw one yesterday walking across skaha lake. Hear them yipping every night. Had one raiding my chickens last year that was so big I thought it was a wolf at first. Took a couple shots but she was too far away. I need to get a call and set up and call them in.

rishu_pepper
02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Well Deaner, whenever you're ready, we'll be ready for you. I got a whole bunch of 204 loaded and ready. :D

I have half a mind to bring my 7WSM, but I don't think I'll have anything left if I shot them with 140gr TTSX at 3150fps :lol:

Mr. Dean
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I have half a mind to bring my 7WSM, but I don't think I'll have anything left if I shot them with 140gr TTSX at 3150fps :lol:

I'm pretty sure that we won't be needing to sacrifice a bunny, to confirm this one.... :razz:

Hey, I see that you're dumping the CZ .22 ------> Planning on buying a digi-caller with the proceeds?

rishu_pepper
02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that we won't be needing to sacrifice a bunny, to confirm this one.... :razz:

Hey, I see that you're dumping the CZ .22 ------> Planning on buying a digi-caller with the proceeds?

A bunny would just be a waste of ammo :biggrin:

Ya.. I bought a bunch of stuff lately, gotta get me some dough back. If you want it I'll give you better price :D

Riverjet
02-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm wanting to get into some coyote smokin as well but I have one question.
What do you do with the hides, are they worth anything?

Mr. Dean
02-27-2009, 12:51 AM
They are what you make of 'em.

Some guys sell them
Some guys collect them

I ain't in it for the $$$ :wink:

Rishue, I got one already. Don't need 2

rishu_pepper
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Some guys eat them. ;)

I probably should have set the price lower; the economy nowadays no one is buying stuff...

My 204 loads are getting real close. My newbie friend, who shot guns for the first time yesterday, was about to put 4-5 shots within 1.5" IIRC. Just a bit more tweaking.