PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear Hunting List

Crazy.kayaker
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
So I'm starting to prepare for the spring bear hunt by making a list of things I need. I'm testing my ammo now and plan on practicing with the best heavy load I find as I'm testing 3 different loads. I'm hoping to make it a camping trip deal but since I've only ever did day hunts for big game, I'm looking for help on what to put together for a 3-7 day trip. I've been camping before so I have most of the basic camping equipment but I don't know if that's all I'll need.

I'm poor so I'm going for the simplest set up that I can do. I'm only after a bear for some meat so not looking for a big bore for his fur. I also know where I'm gonna be looking as I've seen a few bears in the area last spring/summer. I'll also be driving a 2x4 pickup with a canopy that can go everywhere I want to go too.

What will I need that the average camper will not have for a hunting trip up to a week in the bush?

Thanks for your help guys and girls.

Crazy.kayaker

ElectricDyck
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Not too much extra really,

camera
binos
spotting scope and tripod
rifle and ammo
meat pack
knife
knife sharpener
small tarp
game bags
rope

if you're not leaving for home right away or it's a long drive:

2 big coolers full of ice blocks (for deboned meat)
scalpel (skinning out the face and paws)
20 lbs of table salt (hide)

Shooter
02-23-2009, 09:16 PM
A magnum. A BIG BIG magnum. It's the only thing that'll drop a bear.

gerrygoat
02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
A cooler for the meat and salt for the hide if you know how to skin out the head and paws properly (you can legaly sell a bear hide so why not consider it). If you do get some meat you will need to process it quickly because of the warm temperature or take it to a butcher to hang until you can deal with it. If you freeze 4 liter milk jugs full of water the blocks of ice can last you quite a while in a good cooler and provide you with some good drinking water. As for camping gear it sounds like you're set.

Will
02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
If you get one.....or rather when you do get one, make sure you have nose plugs and latex gloves for the gutting job, makes it much more enjoyable ;)

ElectricDyck
02-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Or do gutless method.

Will
02-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Or do gutless method.
That takes the fun out of it ! :-P

Crazy.kayaker
02-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the great replys from everyone so far. I didn't have a few items on my list, as I have a basic hunting bag I put together which contains most stuff needed for gutting and keeping the game clean. Never would have though of nose plugs. As for skinning out the feet I'm thinking I don't want any on my blanket/rug plus I want a bear claw necklace or hat band haven't decided which ;) is there any other reason to keep the feet or head? I plan on freezing the pelt till I can afford get it properly treated.

I do have a few questions I need to ask if/when I get the animal
How long would you age an average sized blackbear?
A meat pack is that like a pack board?
What's the best cuts to keep and what should be make in to sausage?

I plan on taking the bear to the butchershop I work at a few hours a month for hanging and processing. Got to love working there. I wish I had a magnum, but I'll be using my only long gun which is a .308

I like the frozen milk jugs for water and keeping the meat fresh.
Just plain Table Salt in the boxes or find a bag?

So many questions. So little I know.

Ambush
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
[quote=Crazy.kayaker;41658 I wish I had a magnum, but I'll be using my only long gun which is a .308[/quote]

Truth is, that 308 will likely skip off even a small bear,:eek: but if you come up here, I will back you up with a bow.

Mr. Dean
02-24-2009, 12:06 AM
If you're a veteran camper, you should pretty much know what you all need. Just toss your hunting gear in on top of it all.

And don't forget the compass!

Keeping the head: Having the scull cleaned up makes for a nifty keepsake. :wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
02-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Since you're in Kamloops you shouldn't need more than an afternoon or two to get yourself a nice meat bear.

No need for camping gear but if it makes it more enjoyable.....then spend a week.

There's whack of bears out there. Wait for the right shot opportunity.

Have fun!

SSS

ElectricDyck
02-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the great replys from everyone so far. I didn't have a few items on my list, as I have a basic hunting bag I put together which contains most stuff needed for gutting and keeping the game clean. Never would have though of nose plugs. As for skinning out the feet I'm thinking I don't want any on my blanket/rug plus I want a bear claw necklace or hat band haven't decided which ;) is there any other reason to keep the feet or head? I plan on freezing the pelt till I can afford get it properly treated.

I do have a few questions I need to ask if/when I get the animal
How long would you age an average sized blackbear?
A meat pack is that like a pack board?
What's the best cuts to keep and what should be make in to sausage?

I plan on taking the bear to the butchershop I work at a few hours a month for hanging and processing. Got to love working there. I wish I had a magnum, but I'll be using my only long gun which is a .308

Just plain Table Salt in the boxes or find a bag?

So many questions. So little I know.

I'm lousy at aging things especially bears, what I 've learned is they are always smaller up close. LOL I would bring some sort of pack to transport meat in the case that the final resting place is a ways from your truck, debone and pack it back, it'll be much easier with a proper pack. I turned the front quarters into sausage, the loins into steaks and the rear quarters into steaks and roasts, but working at a butcher shop I'm sure they'll know best. If you have access to a cosstco they have big bags of table salt, it'll save you money.