PDA

View Full Version : What is the best hunting dog?

Danimal
02-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey, I was looking into buying a pup for a hunting companion. I'm a young guy and I don't have many people to hunt with and would love to get a dog to hunt with. I usually hunt deer, moose and such. My question is, what breed would be the best fit? I really like Labs, but they seem more like Duck dogs (which isn't a problem mind you). What is your opinion for the best hunting dog?

crazysheephunter
02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I personally like Border Collies,purebred.If they are trained right, you will have a great partner for everything you do.

bruin
02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
What kind of hunting are you hoping to do?
It really depends on what you want to do. Personally, I just got a yellow lab pup because I wanted an intelligent dog that's easy to train and can be multipurpose. He's going to be my duck and pack dog. On the other hand I know quite a few guys that simply went down to the pound and picked out a mut and they've been great hunting partners.
Personally I would go with something that isn't haywire all the time. I personally am not a big fan of collies for that reason, not saying they're all the same.

Shooter
02-23-2009, 08:05 PM
I too have been researching dogs recently. One breed that I keep seeming to be drawn to is the field bred Springer Spaniel. Not to hijack the thread but if anyone has any input on this breed I'd love to hear it.

02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
The choice is actually quit simple..............a Chesapeake!! :)
Some one once described the chessie as a superb hunting dog and from what l have seen, l agree. Although particular breeds lend themselves better to certain quarry, the Chessie is at much at home in the field as in the water.

Buck
02-23-2009, 08:15 PM
The Deutsh Drahthaar is a fantastic all around hunting dog.Check it out www.vdd-canada.ca/public/index.htm (http://www.vdd-canada.ca/public/index.htm)

dutchie
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I really hope that Back and Zacomb will join in on this thred.

Both Buck and Zacomb have really cool dogs. They are called Deustch Drathaar's. these are the real deal for the German wirehair. This is a double coated dog that sheds very little and is brite as a whip and not super high strung like the american counterpart. The German Wirehair Pointer.

I am getting a Deustch Kurzhaar witch is the real deal for the German Shorthair. My dog is a single coat dog but he will stand up to the cold almost as well as the Drathaar. Kurzhaars, just like the Drathaar, are not to be confused with the americanized German Shorthair pointer.

In Germany these dogs are used to track wounded game, waterfowl, upland and also a great home pet.

I also know Sasquatch has a Wirehairpointing Griffon, which would be another great choice from what my dad saw in his "delou"

The bigest question you have to ask yourself is how much time do you have to train you dog to not go flying after deer and everything.

I would reccomend you go to http://www.vdd-canada.ca/public/index.htm (http://http//www.vdd-canada.ca/public/index.htm) and www.nadkc.com (http://www.nadkc.com) and do some looking and talking to people!

hope this helps

dutchie

dutchie
02-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Some one once described the chessie as a superb hunting dog and from what l have seen, l agree. Although particular breeds lend themselves better to certain quarry, the Chessie is at much at home in the field as in the water.

You are 100% correct they are amazing hunting dogs, but can be as stubborn as an mule so you have to be all over the dog when it does somthing wrong. I was warned away from them by an experianced dog handler because they can be so tough.

But look at Marshal, Marc has trained him to perfection.

dutchie

Clint_S
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I've got a litter of Airedale pups coming up in a couple months if all goes as planned. Don't want to sell them as mere pets or into the city but if you planned to hunt some fur and feather with them we could possibly work something out.
Grizz will pull a badger out of a den, tree a bear or cougar and would retrieve as well as a lab if I was any kind of a birder.

green machine
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
i have a border collie/german shepard and she is an awsome dog she follows right behind me when i go hunting and is very quiet she also loves the quad rides. i don't think there is a definte answer to your question because there are so many breeds out there, i think the number one thing to remember is when you get a dog nomader what the breed be sure to put the training time in and make the dog what you want. good luck

Sitkaspruce
02-23-2009, 08:53 PM

X2

They can be stubborn, hard headed and very strong willed, but by far and away they are the hardest working, toughest and loyal of the hunting breeds. They are family friendly, happy go lucky dogs that have a strong nose, great eye sight, are amazing swimmers and can hunt in the cold, when others are stuck back at the cabin lying in front of the wood stove.

Sitka has been going strong now for 11 years and this was the second season that I did not hunt her. She still wants to and can retieve with the best of them, but she stiffens up fast now and is much more comfortable lying back at home, then standing in a cold, wet blind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/hunting138.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/hunting139.jpg

We now have an 20 month old yellow lab as well, but she shows no interest in retieveing. She loves the water and will swim out and get the dummy, but then gets easily distracted and will drop it and go for a swim for something else that only she see's:confused:. She loves to dock dive and is very birdy on upland game, so maybe will start to work with her on that, only if there were a few grouse around on the North Island.....

What ever you choose, feed them well, look after them and they will be your best friend for their whole life.

Cheers

SS

Timber-hunt
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Here is a place that few friends of mine got some good hunting dogs that they adopted good luck!!

DOGWOOD RESCUE
where the dog comes first!
dogwoodrescue@shaw.ca or lichen-t@shaw.ca
604-926-1842
West Vancouver, BC
POINTER(S)/VIZSLA/WEIMARANER RESCUE
www.dogwoodrescue.petfinder.com

Marc
02-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Sitkaspruce your girl is looking pretty good for 11. I've got to say Marshall's first year has been pretty good so far. He's retrieved over 30 geese I figure and at least as many ducks for me and everyone who's hunting within 100 yards of us.:mrgreen:

This spring we work on the blind retrieves and more scent work. Hard to beat a Chessie when it comes to extreme temperatures and environments.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_goose.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_with_2_geese.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_and_a_limit_of_drakes.jpg

bc sportsman
02-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I've got an airedale...great hunting instinct, points, retrieves birds and everything else, very gentle mouth, but afraid of gunshots &^&^!!!

Great companion, doesn't shed, just too bad about the guns.

Otherwise would have been a great hunting dog. They were bred for all types of hunting...all purpose breed...not great aat anything in particular...just good all around.

jessonml
02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Duck Toller! I love my little man. He's 5 months and training is going well. Smart and a great personality. Loyal to my fiancee and I.

I personally think that any dog can be a good companion. If you are just looking for a hunting companion there are plenty of really cool mutts out there. Saw a really nice border collie lab for example.

Ben Fougere
02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
You are 100% correct they are amazing hunting dogs, but can be as stubborn as an mule so you have to be all over the dog when it does somthing wrong. I was warned away from them by an experianced dog handler because they can be so tough.

I will also have to say Chesapeake. From what I've been reading about the breed and from what I've been seeing with mine, it's a tough breed.

I wouldn't say that the chesapeake is a stubborn dog. They can appear stubborn, but are only testing you. They want to see if you mean what you say. Testing them can be a challenge, but as with any dog, when the time is taken to train them the results will come.

tinhorse
02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
I have a german pointer and he is awesome. It took some time and training but he is incredable in the bush. He is also a great retriver. I lived up in Fort Nelson and he was great with the bears and could track moose like no other. Even in the cold weather he would come out in the bush with me

Wolfman
02-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Chessies are pretty darn good, though Chihuahuas rate a close second - especially a trained pack of them, which I hear can overpower a grizzly or samsquantch - but then again, I hear that Todd Bartell can do the same thing with mind-power alone ;-)

Mike

Islandeer
02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I think Chessies are smarter than that Bartel kid .... but still aways away from equalling the hardiness of a flatcoat. :eek:

kinderdoggin
02-24-2009, 10:38 AM
These type of threads almost invariably to get "what is your favorite breed" or "what kind of dog do you have" answers.
Before you decide, you need to think about what exactly you want the dog to do, if anything, while it's hunting with you.
Are you looking for a dog to just keep you company while you are hunting? Any quiet dog that is weather resistant would probably work.
Are you looking for a dog that will help you track wounded game?
There are a lot of good hunting and hound breeds out there suitable for this, but almost any dog with a nose can be trained for tracking a fresh trail.
Thinking about dabbling in bird hunting? A field-bred Lab, Chessie, Golden or Toller would be a great choice for waterfowl. There are many good pointing breeds for upland as mentioned already in some of the answers.

There are a few breeds that can do it all. And as also mentioned, many good companions and hunting dogs are random mixes.

Since we're talking preferences, I'll vote for my breed- the Lab. Is there anything a Lab can't do? (I don't think so - good duck dog, good upland dog, good family dog, can be easily trained to track, fetch beers from the fridge, turn off the lights, etc). The best part about Labs is that they are generally pretty cooperative and can be trained by a beginner. There's a reason they are the most popular breed year after year ;) Chessies are also excellent dogs and would be my second vote if you have experience training a dog- they do tend to test their trainer a bit more and aren't as forgiving with corrections.

Good luck in your search!
Erin

Danimal
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Thank you all very much for your input. I would love a dog that have the potential to track wounded game but it's not the end of the world, it just means I have to learn to shoot better ;) I would love a dog that wants to be out in the bush, fields, water, that will go hiking in the off season with me. If I can train it to hunt birds, hunt with me for deer, than that would be awesome

dutchie
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I just want to make it clear that I definatly love Chessies. I have hunted over one many times and Marc has taken his chessie to a very high level, and they are THE ultimate northern waterfowlers dog.

I used the wrong word when i said stuborn. The dogs are head strong, some are less and some are more head strong. This, as any dog, will test the handler and I was made werry about getting one because I have never trained a dog before other then friends and they were not in hunting situations.

I think any sporting dog is a great dog.

I choose the Deustch Kurzhaar because of the versitility. They can track wounded game in the morning, hunt rabbits after the blood track, have a nap right beside you snuggling in back at camp, go out and point Grouse or Pheasent in the early afternoon, then catch the last light flight for waterfowl. This has been bread into the Drathaar, Langhaar, and the Kurzhaar.

I would reccomend that you go and meet some owners of different dogs that you are concidering and just start asking questions. and interact with the dog.

My dad did that with Sasquatch on HBC here and got to meet a really cool Wirehair pointing Griffon.

dutchie

drakfero
02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
and german shepard mixed with wolf? :)

rocketrob
02-26-2009, 06:17 AM
what about jadg terrier or irish terrier .my buddy going to cross irish terrier with jadg terrier .good hunters and can track wounded game if train for it.was think of get one myself.

Camp Cook
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM

My female Chesapeake Bay Retriever is now around 10 - 11 years old and goes absolutely everywhere with me...

She is a fantastic companion, that totally loves the outdoors she is also a house dog...

They are also very intelligent if I remember right they are rated in the top 10 smartest dogs.

elkhunter1
02-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Put me down for a pup.
Chris.

Clint_S
02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
my buddy going to cross irish terrier with jadg terrier

While you never know what you are going to get with a cross that might produce some interesting pups if the Irish has an ounce of working ability.

Sasquatch
02-28-2009, 10:44 AM
So many dogs, so little time.

Clint_S
02-28-2009, 05:29 PM
So many dogs, so little time.

Ain't that the truth!
Given unlimited time it would be neat to try all kinds of crosses just to see what each has to offer. The only problem is given an exceptional crossbred the chances off ever reproducing it except by cloning are next to impossible. It's hard enough with line bred pure breeds.

FlyingHigh
03-01-2009, 12:08 AM
i would love to see a lab/wolf cross, or a lab/wolf/shepherd cross. :D

1/2 slam
03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
For me it's an English Pointer. Well OK 2 English Pointers. Snoopy (4 mo old) and Dixie (2 years old). I love bird hunting (Upland) and so do they.

Maxx
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I chose an Entlebucher,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entlebucher_Mountain_Dog

She is 4 months old, and showing great promise to be a good companion in the mountains,

Sasquatch
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I chose an Entlebucher,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entlebucher_Mountain_Dog

She is 4 months old, and showing great promise to be a good companion in the mountains,

Thats a nice looking dog, do they have the same temperaments as the Bernese?

dutchie
03-01-2009, 10:02 PM
i would love to see a lab/wolf cross, or a lab/wolf/shepherd cross. :D

My cousin has a wolf cross with Sheperd... And that dog is the most loyal and protective dog. the dog protects my cousins son untill he knows who we are... and he meets you once, and you never again have to be introduced... but if you are not intorduced... beware of him he will put you in a grave if he feels like you are dangering anyone that he knows the sent of.

"Blu" warned off a few bears when my aunt was taking my cousins son for a walk.

If i could be garneteed a dog like Blu i would get a wolf cross in a second!

dutchie

Waggus
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Crossing wolves to dogs is foolish. Sounds tuff and cool though. imho. My vote is for well bred GSP's or DK's. I have 2. Great companions that are bred to stay close in the bush. One dog is a lot of work but two is not much more. I would always have two.

dutchie
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Crossing wolves to dogs is foolish. Sounds tuff and cool though. imho.

Wolves are very very very intelligent... Ask Proguide66!

they are also not a dog that is going to want to do everything with you.

If you look back in history the Malimute and the Huskey were crossed with wolves at some time, that is what gives these breeds thier utter independance, and always protecting the family as the Alpha when the Pack leader is not around. (whether the guy or girl wears the pants, they can tell aka the alpha of the house)

Also the wolves that are being crossed are the domesticated timber wolves. so they are not taking a wolf out of the wild and mating them... they originally got young wolf pups and raised them breed the wolfs and had pups and raised those pups. Then breed the 2nd generation of them to a domestic dog. It is still a prue breed wolf but it dosn't have that strong desire to kill everything for fun, and will have 50% of the wild taken away from it because it did not have to fend for itself.

like all dogs they have thier place, i don't think that it is foolish but I do think it is foolish if you get one, just to say you have one and you don't have the time for it.

dutchie

Waggus
03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Sounds like solid science. Guess I was wrong.

One generation removed from the wild and they lose 50% of their "wild". I did not know that. I will consider myself better educated from this day forth.

Still I wonder about the predictability of results vs a breed that is hundreds of years and in some case as many generations old?

kinderdoggin
03-07-2009, 06:13 PM
I can't think of any reason that would make me want a wolf-dog. How is a adding 'wild' an upgrade in any way? Other than the 'coolness' of it, what sort of traits, skills, qualities, etc does a wolf bring into the equation that is not already available in some breed of domestic dog? I don't think anyone doubts the intelligence of the wolf but intelligence without trust or cooperation is just plain dangerous.

There are several breeds that produce the 'wolf' look, and are independent, intelligent, protective, yada yada all the things that people who like wolf-dogs claim to want. Wolves are wild animals, even if raised in captivity. Just because one was bottle-fed doesn't mean his offspring will be more 'domestic'. (and if they were, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the cross in the first place?)

JMHO,
Erin

358win
03-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Without a doubt for Cats, the Papillion. Just the right size to get the the airways plugged. No shot required.:D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IM001089.jpg

born2hunt
04-04-2009, 10:19 AM
the only thing wrong with having a chessie is you need to pack a 2x4 along with ya to train it-- man there pig headed stubborn dogs--- not for me. chocolate lab all the way there smart , intelligent, great family dog , what more could you want?

Camp Cook
04-04-2009, 11:49 AM
My Chesapeake is 13 years old now and has been my dream dog, super intelligent, great retreiver, my constant companion, extremely well behaved, patient, would never hurt anything except in our defense so obviously I totally disagree.

Here is a picture of her from last year.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/506/medium/Grizzly_Hunt_June_2008_008.jpg

BC Hunter
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
What ever dog you choose do some research about the habits of the breed and see if that fits your life.

Go to the best breeder you can find. A well bred dog cost the same to feed as a mutt. With a well bred dog you can be assured of what you get.

I like Labs and prefer a female. They are a little easier to train.

Marc
04-05-2009, 10:38 PM
the only thing wrong with having a chessie is you need to pack a 2x4 along with ya to train it-- man there pig headed stubborn dogs--- not for me. chocolate lab all the way there smart , intelligent, great family dog , what more could you want?

A Chessie isn't for everyone, I had two labs before I got the chessie and they are a totally different dog all together. Yes they are not robots like the labs and Chessies like to think for themselves making it extremely hard to train for hunt test and field trials but it'll be hard to find a dog that can beat a chessie when it comes to hunting waterfowl for natural instinct, strenght, indurance and built for extreme cold water environment.

I've yet to have to resort to using a 2 x 4, persistence and a bit of patience is all that is required. When these dogs figure out what you want them to do they do it well and never forget it.