PDA

View Full Version : New Hunter - Wolves

skibum
02-22-2009, 02:42 PM
To start I have nothing against hunting wolves - but do have a question - Why does the mention of wolves stir such hostility? Is that it they are competition for game? Or is it an inherent hatred of them (protecting livestock etc.) that I think has been around since the beginning of time?

houndogger
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
My problem with them is they murder hounds:!:

martyonthewater
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd have to say for the most part it is a competition for game thing, much the same as with coyotes. I was raised that I eat what I shoot so the whole predator thing doesn't hold much for me but it is a long off season and to each there own. You'll find there are plenty of people on this sight far more high and mighty than you might expect but for the most part it's a great source of info and sharing. weclome to the sight

Gateholio
02-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Wolves are predators, just like humans, and predators always compete with each other.

I dont' hate wolves at all- In fact I find them fascinating. However, if they have no competition, they will clean out an area of deer/moose.

Last year around here, 3 dogs were killed and consumed by wolves basically in thier back yards. People tend to be emotional about thier pets:tongue:

Steeleco
02-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I've never gone after them on purpose, but I've wished I'd connected on a few nice ones. For me, if it's done by the book, so be it.
If I owned large tracks of land and livestock, I'd have lots of hunting friends I'm sure.

Monashee
02-22-2009, 04:13 PM
. However, if they have no competition, they will clean out an area of deer/moose.

pets:tongue:

Well that is not the case on Isle Royale Park in Lake Superior. Moose showed up about 100 years ago, then wolves about 50 years later. There were coyotes on the island but the wolves killed them off and the wolves became the only predators. Both the wolves and moose are still there though the wolves are expected to die out due to inbreeding .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_and_Moose_on_Isle_Royale

proguide66
02-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I myself have never know anyone to " hate" wolves.....we need them. If we let nature take its course , the predators will naturally 'peak' in a given area....when this happens , 'most' of its natural prey will take a severe beating wich can take years to re-plentish. Vancouver Island is a classic example of this. As the deer disappear , small towns get an ever increasing predator presence , pets/livestalk start getting nailed until the food sources get used up..or sickness / inbreeding takes its course on the predators..then , in a natural way , the regular prey starts a come back...this process can take years.....now by harvesting a # of predators , we can 'hopefully' keep the predators healthy as well as maintain a healthy herd of ungulates..wich as well WE love to prey on....;)

goatdancer
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Because they tried to eat Little Red Riding Hood.....

Mr. Dean
02-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I think what gets most riled up is that some see (passionately) the hunting of fur-bearers as being a waste of an animal and that the Wolf is kinda iconic.... Then the flames get goin.

I just see it as another tool of Conservation that our hunting regulations are founded upon.

elker
02-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Well that is not the case on Isle Royale Park in Lake Superior. Moose showed up about 100 years ago, then wolves about 50 years later. There were coyotes on the island but the wolves killed them off and the wolves became the only predators. Both the wolves and moose are still there though the wolves are expected to die out due to inbreeding .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_and_Moose_on_Isle_Royale

Inbreeding could be a problem for a small isolated area,but not for the big mainland.

You might want to give an example such as a zoo, all animals coexists there.

yukon john
02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
All the greenies spend their time trying to protect the wolves with the idea that if man is out of the equation wildlife would flourish. That idea is utter nonsense louis and clark almost starved to death several times because the predator prey ratios are always on a roller coaster this can be seen with every predator, lynx-hare and moose-wolf relationships are good examples. Greenies would have you belive that wolves kill the sick and injured not so they will kill anything they can get such as rams or bulls that are weak from the rut, heavily pregnant cows and ewes, and they love anything newborn. The other myth is that they kill only to eat but they will get a herd of caribou in the timber at night (caribou have poor night vision compared to most animals) and kill or injure 20-30 animals and only eat 1 or 2 often they leave hamstrung animals to die which can take a week. I once saw a bull caribou with all its hide missing from its hind quarters there was several other caribou carcasses near by. The bull just stood there for over a week the wolves came back and finished the other carcasses and left the bull to die. On another occasion a friend of mine saw a pack pull apart a sow black bear then leave the cubs to starve they didnt even eat the sow. In the 70's the outfitters would spot wolves and then radio govt shooters in a chopper to come kill them just like they do in alaska this led to a huge jump in northern wildlife numbers now the packs are back with a vengance and numbers in game are free falling in many areas. Along lake revelstoke they have paid trappers hitting the wolves because the numbers are out of control, there has been no hunting of that caribou herd for years and they stopped the snowmobilers so why else is the herd on the brink of extinction. In speaking with one of the trappers he told me that the valleys along the lake like goldstream have 3 or more packs each! The roads are only around 40 or so kms long. In the last 4 years I have hunted there for goats I have seen wolves 4 times and seen at least 8 carcasses usually moose or bou calves. I think woves are neat animals and I am glad to live in a place where I can see them but unless they are managed properly they destroy game numbers and so help me God I will kill any wolf, anywhere, any way I can.

Look74
02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
They should have put a fence around Yellow Stone Park before they turned out fifty wolves a few years ago. Now they have built up to more then 1500 and working there way back to Canada. Killing cattle on the way.

Phreddy
02-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Let's just say that wolves, especially live ones (like a lot of unethical so called hunters) just like to kill, and often in their territories you will find, like Yukon John, that there is one hell of a lot of waste animals when they get through.
I often wonder if the deer on a little hillside above Seymour Narrows on Quadra Island ever managed to return to healthy numbers. The last year, 1980, that I hunted there all you could find was chunks of deer, whole dead deer, and generally a phenomenal amount of wasted meat. That was after about 3 years of unchecked wolf populations.
While I don't eat them, they are about the ony critter that "I only shoot what I eat" doesn't apply to. I'd be more inclined to follow the "shoot, shovel, and shut-up" gang.

ElkMasterC
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
They should have put a fence around Yellow Stone Park before they turned out fifty wolves a few years ago. Now they have built up to more then 1500 and working there way back to Canada. Killing cattle on the way.

Where did you get that info?
Post a link.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/wolves.htm

mike_b
02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I was raised that I eat what I shoot...

I agree. I recently watched a video that a friend of mine lended me that was all about predator hunting, and I have to say that I wasn't in the slightest impressed. I mean, if a guy is shootin' yotes/wolfs to protect livestock, I don't see anything wrong. But what is actually done to a yote after they shot it, besides being made into a nice rug?? And again, I don't have a problem with shootin' 1 or 2, but 5,6,7,....

I don't really understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe someone could fill me in.....

ruger#1
02-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U . wolves like to kill. period. The other one i watched they ripped the coyote in half. So when you loose a few dogs to wolves then you will see.

ElkMasterC
02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U . wolves like to kill. period

It's a Yote.
They're competition.
The human emotion "like" has nothing to do with it.

Poor little Yote........he woulda made a nice rug.

ruger#1
02-22-2009, 08:03 PM
stick to your grouse tags, A wolf makes a better rug.

ElkMasterC
02-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Gimme a wolf to skin, and Grouse tags are on me!

kastles
02-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I would shoot a wolf or yote on the principal that they kill my prey. And it would look good on my floor.

kastles

ruger#1
02-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I dont want to shoot grouse, they make lousy rugs.

ElkMasterC
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
But GREAT slippers!

Look74
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Where did you get that info?
Post a link.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/wolves.htm

WWW. Yellowstone Wolves Embattled again Time
report 10 Oct 2007.

Mr. Dean
02-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I agree. I recently watched a video that a friend of mine lended me that was all about predator hunting, and I have to say that I wasn't in the slightest impressed. I mean, if a guy is shootin' yotes/wolfs to protect livestock, I don't see anything wrong. But what is actually done to a yote after they shot it, besides being made into a nice rug?? And again, I don't have a problem with shootin' 1 or 2, but 5,6,7,....

I don't really understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe someone could fill me in.....

The hunting of preds is a conservation tool. It helps in keeping the wildlife populations healthy.

Pretty simple stuff once ya get past the emotion. :wink:

Fact of the matter is, is that we NEED more hunters taking this up. Our efforts right now are little. Tags cost $0.00 for dogs and me thinks there's reasons for that.

elker
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
The hunting of preds is a conservation tool. It helps in keeping the wildlife populations healthy.

Fact of the matter is, is that we NEED more hunters taking this up. Our efforts right now are little. Tags cost $0.00 for dogs and me thinks there's reasons for that.

Exactly! For those who laments that 7 yotes got killed by one person on one day, they should also realize that it shows too many predators are in the wilderness.

ibehuntin
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
I belive that for every big game animal you harvest you should take a predator, just to keep things in balance.:wink:

Mik
02-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Very Simple, Wolves kill Game, I kill wolves= more game to hunt in the future.

yukon john
02-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Amen Mik not to mention shooting a wolf is the nicest/quickest possible death it could have

tuffteddyb
02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
i think every big game animal you harvest you should shoot at least 3 predators,wolves,or coyotes.
after losing several head of stock to them.between me and my neighbours,(30 head one winter) i have no love for them.will not turn down a shot at them.unless in a unsafe location of course.they make awesome rugs and wall hangers.

Mr. Dean
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM

I should add that this ALSO benefits the targeted population hunted (wolves, yotes...), by ensuring that when/if the habitat collapses, the remaining population will less likely suffer from disease that's been promoted via sick animals that are weak from hunger, thus causing collapse of the targeted species. The more you maximize the Synopsis (the more hunting you take up), the more of a Conservationist you'll become.

It's all about balance and working within the Synopsis/Regulations. :smile:

betteroffishing
02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
what i hate about wild dogs is the fact that durring my hunts i see 10 doggy tracks for every 1 deer / moose. with litters of 4-10 pups at a time , you'll never eliminate them, it would be good to see them minimised though.

MOWITCH SLAYER
02-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Wolves are the worst of all predators. All that BS about only taking the weak, they need to be kept in check. Nothing well clean game out of a valley like wolves.

mike_b
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM

There aren't any emotions when it came to predator, just not a whole lot of understanding. But, after reading through the thread and what a lot of you guys said about "conservation" and so on, it does make a lot more sense. But come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a wolf out in the bush. Seen a many yotes, but mostly where shooting wasn't allowed......mmmmm......

bayou
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
All the greenies spend their time trying to protect the wolves with the idea that if man is out of the equation wildlife would flourish. That idea is utter nonsense louis and clark almost starved to death several times because the predator prey ratios are always on a roller coaster this can be seen with every predator, lynx-hare and moose-wolf relationships are good examples. Greenies would have you belive that wolves kill the sick and injured not so they will kill anything they can get such as rams or bulls that are weak from the rut, heavily pregnant cows and ewes, and they love anything newborn. The other myth is that they kill only to eat but they will get a herd of caribou in the timber at night (caribou have poor night vision compared to most animals) and kill or injure 20-30 animals and only eat 1 or 2 often they leave hamstrung animals to die which can take a week. I once saw a bull caribou with all its hide missing from its hind quarters there was several other caribou carcasses near by. The bull just stood there for over a week the wolves came back and finished the other carcasses and left the bull to die. On another occasion a friend of mine saw a pack pull apart a sow black bear then leave the cubs to starve they didnt even eat the sow. In the 70's the outfitters would spot wolves and then radio govt shooters in a chopper to come kill them just like they do in alaska this led to a huge jump in northern wildlife numbers now the packs are back with a vengance and numbers in game are free falling in many areas. Along lake revelstoke they have paid trappers hitting the wolves because the numbers are out of control, there has been no hunting of that caribou herd for years and they stopped the snowmobilers so why else is the herd on the brink of extinction. In speaking with one of the trappers he told me that the valleys along the lake like goldstream have 3 or more packs each! The roads are only around 40 or so kms long. In the last 4 years I have hunted there for goats I have seen wolves 4 times and seen at least 8 carcasses usually moose or bou calves. I think woves are neat animals and I am glad to live in a place where I can see them but unless they are managed properly they destroy game numbers and so help me God I will kill any wolf, anywhere, any way I can.

A lot of what you say sounds as phonyas what you say the so called greenies say.
How many bear cubs are left to starve when hunters shoot the sow, how many cougar kittens are left to starve when hunters shoot the female.
How many animals are left to die with a bullet or arrow in them every year. Some one mentions wounding an animal on here and its said oh thats all right its just part of hunting.
Your last comment as well as the one on thread #13 is also pretty sad know different then the one steady girl made on the other wolf
thread but know one jumps on you guys for suggesting doing something illegal (poaching) but didnt really expect any different from the people on this site theyseem to think its allright to do illegal stuff towards predators.

boxhitch
02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
thread but know one jumps on you guys for suggesting doing something illegal (poaching) but didnt really expect any different from the people on this site theyseem to think its allright to do illegal stuff towards predators.bayou, you're out to lunch. Show me where poaching has been suggested, or ever accepted. Your comparisons are not relevant, creating false impressions. And then you wave about and talk of 'the people on this website', what a generallity.

SteadyGirl
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Inbreeding could be a problem for a small isolated area,but not for the big mainland.

You might want to give an example such as a zoo, all animals coexists there.

Wrong - Inbreeding among wolves and breeding to coyotes is a huge issue in Yellowstone. There are also wolf re-introduction programs elsewhere in mainland BC to help combat the imbreeding issue.

There is alot of misinformation about wolves and alot of fear .. so ignorance /fear causes alot of the tension around wolf conversations:shock:

In particular when I say something:-?

PGK
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Wrong - Inbreeding among wolves and breeding to coyotes is a huge issue in Yellowstone. There are also wolf re-introduction programs elsewhere in mainland BC to help combat the imbreeding issue.

There is alot of misinformation about wolves and alot of fear .. so ignorance /fear causes alot of the tension around wolf conversations:shock:

Um, where exactly are they introducing wolves to curb wolf inbreeding? Wolves breeding coyotes? Never heard of that one either...

SteadyGirl
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Your last comment as well as the one on thread #13 is also pretty sad know different then the one steady girl made on the other wolf.

Ey I just wish every kill could be a picture perfect heart shot:mrgreen:

I should have said "I have problems with anything that kills / or causes pain and suffering indescriminatly":twisted:

SteadyGirl
02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Um, where exactly are they introducing wolves to curb wolf inbreeding? Wolves breeding coyotes? Never heard of that one either...

Google it, you can spend hours on the subject. I had a really good site that was updated last summer but can't find it now:(

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Wrong - Inbreeding among wolves and breeding to coyotes is a huge issue in Yellowstone.

Here's an example of what wolves do to yotes.

Pretty "rough" breeding;-).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U

They'd also do that to your pooch if given the chance. It's what they do. I don't hate them for it.

SSS

SteadyGirl
02-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Here's an example of what wolves do to yotes.

Pretty "rough" breeding;-).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U

SSS

Meh;-) ... I don't have to watch the vid to know that getting eaten alive isn't all bad

bayou
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
bayou, you're out to lunch. Show me where poaching has been suggested, or ever accepted. Your comparisons are not relevant, creating false impressions. And then you wave about and talk of 'the people on this website', what a generallity.

Says he will kill any wolf anywhere
To me anywhere means anywhere and there is areas where they cant be shot
And thread 13 is shoot,shovel,shutup maybe your definiation of that is different.
steady girl never used words in her thread but people jumped all over her implying that she was going to do something wrong, tome these guys are using words to imply it.

Mr. Dean
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
There aren't any emotions when it came to predator, just not a whole lot of understanding....

When I used the term 'emotions', its intentions were mean't in describing the debate that ensues.

As in; Take a look at this thread - It is chocked full of emotions right now.

It was also a prediction of what was to come.... It was not a pointing of the finger in your direction. :smile:

PGK
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Google it, you can spend hours on the subject. I had a really good site that was updated last summer but can't find it now:(

Everything on the interweb must be true then! Great, thanks for making it black and white for me :-P

BCLongshot
02-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Inbreeding has bothered the Dutch for centuries. ha ha ha

elker
02-23-2009, 08:58 PM
I should have said "I have problems with anything that kills / or causes pain and suffering indescriminatly":twisted:

Really?

wolves kill deers, moose, caribou...., the pain those animals have suffered is unimaginable.

Compared being killed by wolves, the game animals have less pain by been shot.

H Wally
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
MMk. So now we've gotten over our emotional session on predators, to me it seems that

A) some people hunt wolves because they can.
B) some people hunt wolves because they see them as competition
C) some people hunt wolves because they hate them
D) some people choose not to hunt them because they object to or do not have interest in it.

I'm particularly fascinated by those who hate wolves and those who see them as competition. I for one am a D) person, mainly because I like canines, and have only ever seen one wolf in my life... so methinks hunting an animal that you see for 5 mins every 20+ years would be pretty darn boring.:razz:

With those who hunt wolves out of dislike, what is it that you dislike about them? I don't really have a problem with them hunting, eating, or just killing, as unless something has changed in the last 300 years, they've likely always done that, no?

For those who hunt them for conservation purposes, I can understand such situations as with endangered populations, but in the case of deer through most of the province, are the wolves actually causing that much harm? I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

Also, it seems to me most problems come from predators taking the younger members of a herd or population. Are there areas that do not have wolves that have shown a sustainable population size? My train of thought here is that hunters are less common in many areas, and without wolves it's possible that we could see a similar situation as on some of the gulf islands, where hunting is still common, but the populations of deer have become rediculous and many deer are now horribly inbred.

SteadyGirl
02-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Everything on the interweb must be true then! Great, thanks for making it black and white for me :-P

well if you need me to hold your hand through this wolf inbreeding 'hunters hurdle'I will:tongue:

Open google

Search

Wolves inbreeding in Yellowstone

Check back tomorrow when yous learned:tongue:

yukon john
02-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Problem is so many people are arm chair experts, a road hunt twice a year hardly qualifies you to decide whether wolves are persecuted unfairly. For the record I spend 180+ full days in the bush hunting or scouting every year. Again I want to say I dont hate wolves but if you knew what they are doing to some areas of our province you would realize they need to be controlled

PGK
02-23-2009, 09:10 PM
well if you need me to hold your hand through this wolf inbreeding 'hunters hurdle'I will:tongue:

Open google

Search

Wolves inbreeding in Yellowstone

Check back tomorrow when yous learned:tongue:

I know you've got all the answers, but in all reality, I'll take my education and experience over your google/wikipedia training, thanks.

H Wally, great post!

PGK
02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't 'hunt' wolves, per se. I've shot at them and missed, I've howled back at them, tried calling them in, and been scared shitless of them when they lit up a serenade a couple hundred yards away while gutting a moose. I respect them greatly, and realize that my personal impact on wolves over the course of my hunting career will be rather insignificant.

Hate is bred from fear, and fear is bred from lack of knowledge. If you don't know anything about wolves or why they do as they do, you will be naturally afraid of them.

elker
02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Hate is bred from fear, and fear is bred from lack of knowledge. If you don't know anything about wolves or why they do as they do, you will be naturally afraid of them.

totally disagree!

In my case, I did love wolves until a few months ago. I still believe they are amazing animals. But after knowing that over population of wolves has severe effect on the prey animals, I start to change.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Meh;-) ... I don't have to watch the vid to know that getting eaten alive isn't all bad

Yes, but these wolves don't just use their tongues:shock:....................:p.

SSS

ElkMasterC
02-23-2009, 09:43 PM

Where did you find that info?

The recovery of the grey wolf in Yellowstone National Park is an outstanding example of a successful reintroduction. A general question concerning reintroduction is the degree to which genetic variation has been preserved and the specific behavioural mechanisms that enhance the preservation of genetic diversity and reduce inbreeding. We have analysed 200 Yellowstone wolves, including all 31 founders, for variation in 26 microsatellite loci over the 10-year reintroduction period (1995–2004). The population maintained high levels of variation (1995 H0 = 0.69; 2004 H0 = 0.73) with low levels of inbreeding (1995 FIS = –0.063; 2004 FIS = –0.051) and throughout, the population expanded rapidly (N1995 = 21; N2004 = 169). Pedigree-based effective population size ratios did not vary appreciably over the duration of population expansion (1995 Ne/Ng = 0.29; 2000 Ne/Ng = 0.26; 2004 Ne/Ng = 0.33). We estimated kinship and found only two of 30 natural breeding pairs showed evidence of being related (average r = –0.026, SE = 0.03). We reconstructed the genealogy of 200 wolves based on genetic and field data and discovered that they avoid inbreeding through a wide variety of behavioural mechanisms including absolute avoidance of breeding with related pack members, male-biased dispersal to packs where they breed with nonrelatives, and female-biased subordinate breeding. We documented a greater diversity of such population assembly patterns in Yellowstone than previously observed in any other natural wolf population. Inbreeding avoidance is nearly absolute despite the high probability of within-pack inbreeding opportunities and extensive interpack kinship ties between adjacent packs. Simulations showed that the Yellowstone population has levels of genetic variation similar to that of a population managed for high variation and low inbreeding, and greater than that expected for random breeding within packs or across the entire breeding pool. Although short-term losses in variation seem minimal, future projections of the population at carrying capacity suggest significant inbreeding depression will occur without connectivity and migratory exchange with other populations.

FROM: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119411301/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

RiverOtter
02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes, but these wolves don't just use their tongues:shock:....................:razz:.

Too funny.........

ElkMasterC
02-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Historically and socially accurate.
It explains racism, and lotsa other great emotions.
If you don't hunt them, and you're not a rancher, elker, and you've never lost a child to one, then why would you hate them?
You make no sense.

I'm trying to learn to snare them, and will shoot one if I see it, but hate them?
Nope, they're not evil.
They just are.
And they are what they are.
No reason to hate them.

elker
02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
If you don't hunt them, and you're not a rancher, elker, and you've never lost a child to one, then why would you hate them?
You make no sense.

I'm trying to learn to snare them, and will shoot one if I see it, but hate them?
Nope, they're not evil.
They just are.
No reason to hate them.

Good post!

I have a trapper license, hope to have someone to share a trapline with me to snare a few of them.

This after noon, I drove north nanaimo (Lantzville) to pick up my son who slept over at our friend's house. I saw a wolf walking along the road, when we came back, we saw the same one on another road just 100yds from the fiist spot. Our family were so thrilled to see a real wolf so close to us.

I did want to shoot it if I had my rifle in my car.

the location is here:

View Larger Map (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=superior+road,+nanaimo,bc&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.168299,56.601563&ie=UTF8&ll=49.254865,-124.103022&spn=0.006458,0.013819&t=h&z=14)">
View Larger Map (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=superior+road,+nanaimo,bc&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.168299,56.601563&ie=UTF8&ll=49.254865,-124.103022&spn=0.006458,0.013819&t=h&z=14)

H Wally
02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
You make no sense.

Nope, they're not evil.
They just are.
No reason to hate them.

A Ding... Wolf ate my baby!:p

Kidding kidding!!!! Back to regular programming.

ElkMasterC
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Good post!

I have a trapper license, hope to have someone to share a trapline with me to snare a few of them.

This after noon, I drove north nanaimo (Lantzville) to pick up my son who slept over at our friend's house. I saw a wolf walking along the road, when we came back, we saw the same one on another road just 100yds from the fiist spot. Our family were so thrilled to see a real wolf so close to us.

I did want to shoot it if I had my rifle in my car.

the location is here:

View Larger Map (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=superior+road,+nanaimo,bc&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.168299,56.601563&ie=UTF8&ll=49.254865,-124.103022&spn=0.006458,0.013819&t=h&z=14)">
View Larger Map (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=superior+road,+nanaimo,bc&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.168299,56.601563&ie=UTF8&ll=49.254865,-124.103022&spn=0.006458,0.013819&t=h&z=14)

Did he look like this?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/106_0692.jpg
If so, you found my dog.

Bowtime
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
I myself have never know anyone to " hate" wolves.....we need them.

I'm not too fond of them, But I do agree we need them. Around here the wolf population is too high and we are seeing less game, but the local trappers are doing great work at knocking the numbers back. A friend of mine has trapped 22 and shot 2 this winter.

elker
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
To be honest, my heart was beating so fast when I say the face of the wolf. I was excited and very much afraid. The eyes , the face , the thick neck and thick body of the wolf have all been printed in my memory. We were all in the car at that moment.

While I am typing this post, I still feel a little scared. I have been told that wolves come to neighbourhood in some area, but it was my only time I saw it at that close range.

Obviously, I have not been prepared to be a good hunter. I am an ambitious hunter when I watch youtube hunting video with my son.

421fighter
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
4 years ago I began to hunt an area in 3-40 that I had hunted a great deal when I lived there. I am too old to hike up the mountains, and it would be foolish, as well, for the roads go right to the top. 4 years ago, any day out driving, my wife and I would see around 20 does and fawns. Very few wolf tracks. The next year was the same, though there were noticably more wolf sign. Last year, in the week we drove the roads, we saw only 3 does, and many many wolf tracks. I doubt it will be worth the trip back this fall, but I will go. On my parents ranch,late 1940's we used to watch them romp in the fields, catching mice. But they also ate our cows. That only stopped with the aplication of 1080.There was a bounty on them as well, and we got some of it.

SteadyGirl
02-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I know you've got all the answers, but in all reality, I'll take my education and experience over your google/wikipedia training, thanks.

Then don't ask me questions;)

Mr. Dean
02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE]
MMk. So now we've gotten over our emotional session on predators, to me it seems that

A) some people hunt wolves because they can.
B) some people hunt wolves because they see them as competition
C) some people hunt wolves because they hate them
D) some people choose not to hunt them because they object to or do not have interest in it.

At the end of the day it comes down to having choice and that choice is based on conservation (all paths/excuses end there).

IMO there should be only 2 headers here.

A) Because I choose too.
B) Because I choose not too.

I don't quite understand the logic of comparing modern day hunting with the practices of old. Things were different then, mistakes were made,,, and we learned and evolved from them times. If anything, we're now in an era of being so overly cautious, it's hurting our wildlife.

budismyhorse
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Says he will kill any wolf anywhere
To me anywhere means anywhere and there is areas where they cant be shot
And thread 13 is shoot,shovel,shutup maybe your definiation of that is different.
steady girl never used words in her thread but people jumped all over her implying that she was going to do something wrong, tome these guys are using words to imply it.

Don't confuse the two Bayou,
You are stretching what those two posters wrote into some kind of poaching activity. They never once said they partake or EVER WOULD get involved in poaching.
SG on the other hand plainly stated that she DOES break the law when she sees leg-hold traps.

You don't have to be much of a lawyer to see the differences there.

If any poster on this site, male or female, stated that they willingly poach, you would see the same response SG got, guaranteed, don't make this into some kind of gender battle.

ALPINE
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
[quote=H Wally;416421]

At the end of the day it comes down to having choice and that choice is based on conservation (all paths/excuses end there).

A) Because I choose too.

I don't quite understand the logic of comparing modern day hunting with the practices of old. Things were different then, mistakes were made,,, and we learned and evolved from them times. If anything, we're now in an era of being so overly cautious, it's hurting our wildlife.

I choose too and agree.:smile:

PGK
02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Then don't ask me questions;)

I didn't, you spit out your uninformed opinion, and I called you on it.

bayou
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't confuse the two Bayou,
You are stretching what those two posters wrote into some kind of poaching activity. They never once said they partake or EVER WOULD get involved in poaching.
SG on the other hand plainly stated that she DOES break the law when she sees leg-hold traps.

You don't have to be much of a lawyer to see the differences there.

If any poster on this site, male or female, stated that they willingly poach, you would see the same response SG got, guaranteed, don't make this into some kind of gender battle.

This is what I saw on the other thread from SG (Im not a fan of leghold traps..when I finds I..well...something something..and shut up
Where does that say she is doing anything illegal.
Someone says they will shoot a wolf anywhere, well that cant be done for there is closed areas. Im not defending SG or making a gender battle.
Its just like on the other thread when proguide said his outfitter buddy set his snares and hadnt checked them for a month no one says a thing then when someone does he says it was a printing error, you can beleive what you want. If he had said his outfitter buddy was doing something illegal about sheep you guys would be allover him guaranteed.
My point is why is one animal above another, poaching or illegal activity is just that. If there willing to do it to one animal there probably willing to do it to others, and like others have said you have to be out there to see it.

Mr. Dean
02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
:idea:

Lets not confuse this "hunting" thread with another "trapping" thread. :smile:

H Wally
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
[quote=H Wally;416421]

A) Because I choose too.

That's fair enough. I don't know a heck of a lot about past practices, so not much worry there.

The main reason I posed the question like I did was because I don't really have any strong feelings on the subject. I'm hoping to learn more about both wolves, and the people that hunt them. Because of that, I put in the part about those that dislike, and those that hunt them for conservation, as those are the two areas that are murky to me. (AKA - I don't hunt wolves because.. I don't for any particular reason, yet I can understand hunting for the sake of hunting, so that leaves the last two which are unfamiliar to me).

I can agree on the overly cautious problem too - it seems our society generally tends to do wide pendulum swings, never stopping at a mid point but rather going from one extreme to another, and to follow the old maxim, "everything in moderation" seems much wiser.

killemall
02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
To be honest, my heart was beating so fast when I say the face of the wolf. I was excited and very much afraid. The eyes , the face , the thick neck and thick body of the wolf have all been printed in my memory. We were all in the car at that moment.

While I am typing this post, I still feel a little scared. I have been told that wolves come to neighbourhood in some area, but it was my only time I saw it at that close range.

Obviously, I have not been prepared to be a good hunter. I am an ambitious hunter when I watch youtube hunting video with my son.

I agree that this was probaly a dog wolves dont commonly roam the neighbourhoods.Island wolves are in general pretty elusive. As for shooting there even if you had your rifle you couldnt have shot it.

Not sure what you meant in the above response. Why are you afraid of them?

elker
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Not sure what you meant in the above response. Why are you afraid of them?

It was the first time I had ever seen a real wolf, the face and eyes of the wolf was striking my nerve a little bit. Maybe I will be ok next time when I see another one.

That was a wolf , for sure. One guy living there even asked my :"is it a coyote ?" . It is not coyote(I was told that no coyote in the island). wolves are much bigger than coyotes.

Mr. Dean
02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
[quote]That's fair enough. I don't know a heck of a lot about past practices, so not much worry there.

That comment of mine should've been a separate post - I was just being lazy. :redface:

The main reason I posed the question like I did was because I don't really have any strong feelings on the subject. I'm hoping to learn more about both wolves, and the people that hunt them. Because of that, I put in the part about those that dislike, and those that hunt them for conservation, as those are the two areas that are murky to me. (AKA - I don't hunt wolves because.. I don't for any particular reason, yet I can understand hunting for the sake of hunting, so that leaves the last two which are unfamiliar to me).

I get where you're coming from... Guess I'm just trying to convey that it really doesn't matter why... What does matter though is that we do have choice and that the reason for this, is based on conservation.

While I don't go out of my way in active "Wolf Hunting", I do hunt preds... If a Wolf happened to respond to my call, I'd take him. And the sole reason for this, is because I can.

Some would declare that because I have no "justification" for doing so, could/should be deemed as wanton disregard for and waste of life. Especially since I'm not defending livestock or person, or utilizing the animal for anything else but greedy keepsakes (trophy values).

That couldn't be further from the truth IMO.

Whether it be meat, fur, or any 'other' rationale of why, all reasons are just a benefit of the animal taken... I sleep easy knowing that I'm not a mad man because the ONLY reason we're afforded the luxury of hunting choices, are all based on the betterment of wildlife.

So while I DO like the idea of adorning my home with pelts and trophy's, and having food stocks in my freezer, It's not the reason why I hunt *anything*. :wink:

I can agree on the overly cautious problem too - it seems our society generally tends to do wide pendulum swings, never stopping at a mid point but rather going from one extreme to another, and to follow the old maxim, "everything in moderation" seems much wiser.

I think we're where we're at because people don't understand "conservation".... They don't 'get' why hunting is GOOD for animal populations. People interpret the term with misguided thoughts that everything should be permitted to live and all would do so in harmony. People don't understand what it takes for an ecosystem to work and prefer to selfishly instill their views, even though their views are unfounded and uneducated..... And unwilling to learn or accept the real real truth. :sad:

mike_b
02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
When I used the term 'emotions', its intentions were mean't in describing the debate that ensues.

As in; Take a look at this thread - It is chocked full of emotions right now.

It was also a prediction of what was to come.... It was not a pointing of the finger in your direction. :smile:

It's all good brother; I definately see your point when it comes to this thread.....